Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon June 15 2015 13:09:38

eBay Shipping Down, Sellers Unable to Print Shipping Labels

eBay shipping is down, leaving sellers unable to print shipping labels. Reports came in through Ecommerce EKG, and there are multiple threads on the eBay boards.

One seller wrote they believed eBay should receive "defects" - a reference to the defects eBay gives sellers when they run into problems. The seller pointed out that eBay's technical issue could lead to delays that might result in sellers getting defects - "Well you still have to have these shipped out within your time parameters. Or its all your fault that nothing gets out."

On another thread, a seller said eBay should make buyers aware of the problem "so the buyers don't blame sellers!" eBay has a systems announcement board, but rarely uses it to report technical issues.

Compounding the issue for one seller, "Cannot locate any customer service people anywhere on eBay to help."

Perminate Link for eBay Shipping Down, Sellers Unable to Print Shipping Labels   eBay Shipping Down, Sellers Unable to Print Shipping Labels

by: eSteban This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 15 14:02:35 2015

Why do these mailing label ''glitches'' strike on Monday mornings? Is it the crush of mailing label purchases made after weekend sales? It just started working for me again this afternoon (1:35pm EST) to print 2 labels, but I can imagine that folks who had dozens or hundreds of sales accumulate over the weekend - and who count on printing labels Monday morning - now don't have the time to catch up before the last carrier pickup this afternoon. Won't be at all surprised if eBay dings those sellers for failure to meet handling time expectations, even though eBay itself caused the failure.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 15 14:40:02 2015

HUMMM  Got all my packages labeled and shipped this morning with no problem whatever.

But then again I'm not a Fleecebay carrot jumper and I use Stamps.com.

Works everytime.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Jun 15 16:24:24 2015

I printed a shipping label about an hour ago with no problem. Most of the time when I have encountered problems, I've tried a different browser. That has to date always solved the problem.

While slightly more expensive, USPS Click n Ship is an alternative for those using USPS.

As for ebafia defects, it's ALWAYS do as I say not as I do with them.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 15 17:28:09 2015

Their answer ; you should always have a backup plan. LOL

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 15 18:38:49 2015

Ming reports he changed browsers and that 'solved' problem for him. Probably another case of the IT brainiacs - that "crack" team that's ON crack over in the Third World He// Hole - failing to test some "disruptive disruption" using all popular [and some not-so-popular] browser releases. These idiots are more interested in impressing each other with their useless tech knowledge than with actually serving the marketplace. Many buyers have an old machine running Windows 7.  They're happy w/ it..why should they be forced to change?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jun 15 19:25:12 2015

I printed labels this morning using PayPal MultiOrder shipping with no problem. And I agree that these issues always seem to occur on Mondays when sellers have been unable to ship for a day and a half. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I would think that eBay does this intentionally to rid itself of more "noise" once the defects start piling up.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Tue Jun 16 01:39:27 2015

Today everything was working fine. But in the past few weeks the system wasn't working properly.

by: DifferentDrummer This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 02:26:19 2015

I was able to bypass the shipping glitch by going through the "back door" at https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now. I've been using that for a year now for shipping that isn't connected to ebay.

by: fordat1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 03:01:25 2015

Well, would NEVER USE their postage system in the first place.   I've been using STAMPS.COM and it's works out just fine.

eBay is nothing but trouble.

This user has validated their user name. by: IDKwhoIare

Tue Jun 16 05:27:52 2015

I received a notice this Sunday from Chrome that it will not allow Adobe or Javascript to run anymore.  Has a temp workaround.  Probably had some impact on printing shipping labels.

by: cash4clothesbozeman This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 07:38:52 2015

Went to print the first 50 labels and when I paid for shipping the page that came up said. We had a problem paying for labels check your PayPal account.
Paypal was in order and most of the labels were charged.  Had to go and print the labels one by one not use master sheets for pulling. This crash cost me an extra 1.5 man hours.

by: methuen-web-sales This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 09:00:23 2015

I guess I'm just lucky as everything worked fine for me on Monday morning!  That hasn't always been the case though.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 09:32:48 2015

This happens all the time especially on Mondays. Probably system changes on Sunday night as they seem to have horrible Change control and testing procedures given all the glitches that happen..

And given the fact that this company has millions of customers (its sellers) that depend on these services, it shocks me that they have no proactive communication about problems like this to give a status on when it will be resolved. We are always in the dark. Its sad when a 3rd party like Ecommercebytes EKG is a better source of information that the company itself! FIX IT AND FIX YOUR CHANGE CONTROL, UNIT TESTING PROCESSES AND PROACTIVE COMMUNICATIONS TO YOUR CUSTOMER BASE.....

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 10:04:06 2015

I use paypal to print and ship, however they would take a bit longer to transfer the tracking to ebay , then I figured if I had to enter all my orders manually I started using stamps.com, same price as e bay and you do not have to see the "lie" you saved 30% shipping fees using ebay to ship, when you print thru ebay labels?

I could never figure out how you save 30% on shipping labels using ebay, as even the post office charges the same price as do all the programs

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 10:13:52 2015

@cash4clothesbozeman -

How did you manage to get 50 labels printed individually and only take 1-1/2 hours?  I tried that once with about 25 labels and it took me almost 3 hours.

Printed my labels (7 total) yesterday about 330pm Eastern.  Maybe I dodged a bullet by waiting til later?

Wonder if it'll work today...maybe I'll wait til late again.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 15:58:30 2015

More defects for sellers.
Oh well you can always spend a hour on the phone with ebay customer service being transferred three times only to be told no we cannot remove the defect.

by: jewellsjust This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 20:57:29 2015

I do not have the time to set and continually attempt to print these labels. I HAVE COMPLETELY QUIT TRYING.  I GET BETTER PRICES THRU MY "ALTERNATIVE" ANYWAY.
Yea, they most definitely should be penalized..that will never happen.