Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue June 9 2015 14:03:25

Would You Buy and Sell Using an Apple Wristwatch?

eBay unveiled its mobile app for the Apple Watch today, and there's no question it has the potential to make shopping more convenient. But as screen sizes get smaller (Apple Watch comes in 38mm and 42mm sizes), one has to ask if buying and selling is getting more risky.

eBay is particularly vulnerable to errors on the part of small-screen shoppers, since it's not always apparent that an item is used, for example. Or you might accidentally place the wrong bid on an online auction. eBay hosts many different types of items in different formats from very different types of sellers.

Sellers say shoppers don't always take the time to read descriptions on desktop computers - and on a tiny screen like that of the Apple Watch, we wonder if there will be an increase in cancelled orders and returns as shoppers discover they didn't fully realize what they were buying.

The convenience factor is compelling however. eBay says the app offers "glanceable" summaries of Notifications, Buying, Selling & Watching, and offers the ability to perform quick bidding directly from the Watch.

We'll bring you more on the Apple Watch eBay app in Newsflash. In the meantime, what types of buying and selling would you feel comfortable completing on an Apple Watch or other smart watches?

Perminate Link for Would You Buy and Sell Using an Apple Wristwatch?   Would You Buy and Sell Using an Apple Wristwatch?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jun 9 14:14:24 2015

I'm not interested in buying an Apple watch - much less buying FROM one.  Selling from one is about as remote as it gets with me.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 9 14:19:34 2015

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 9 14:42:35 2015

Ditto

by: Orwellwasright This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 9 14:44:27 2015

No buyer is going to read a detailed item description on a tiny watch screen

Pictures will be so small details will be impossible to see

Buyers will make purchase based on a tiny picture and no text

This will vastly increase the number of returns and complaints

This will geometrically magnify the number of return defects, bad feedback, and snad disputes

All of these will degrade and destroy the reputations and accounts of the 95% of smaller sellers who do not have a personal ebay rep who can wash their accounts clean .

This will lead to an increase in discount losses, seller limitation, seller restrictions, punishment placement and suspensions

Which in turn will allow greater visibility for the Junk dumpers and platinum counterfiters..

And ebay can proudly announce how they increased buyer safety with every wave of eliminations

Another victory party in the making

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Jun 9 15:17:38 2015

Just what sellers needed.... More buyers who are prevented from reading descriptions making purchases and then returning items claiming SNAD.

This does not benefit buyers.  This will not benefit sellers.

It will however benefit eBay since they earn revenue from not just sales, but also returns. eBay has no reservations about encouraging buyers to purchase and return items because it helps eBay's bottom line when they do.

As eBay becomes a stand alone company, Wall Street should be insisting that true GMV numbers - including deductions for returned items be disclosed in order to get a more complete view of eBay's true NET sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jun 9 18:08:17 2015

I don't have a cell phone either.
I've saved over ELEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS since the iPhone came out in 2007.
Don't need it. Don't want it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jun 9 18:41:55 2015

@The End, I've made the same saving; I'm using a little Samsung flip-phone ...

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jun 9 19:08:44 2015

This might be the start of a new buyer avenue for SNAD claims: Simply indicate that you were using your Apple watch and didn't fully understand what you were buying. Hey, Wenig could even make that a new option under the reason for a return: "Purchased via Apple watch, couldn't see/read description."

I won't even consider using a cellphone to buy something online, and the Apple watch is even smaller. And do you enter pertinent information while the watch is on your wrist and use the index finger of your other hand? I have to believe setting up a listing would be a nightmare.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 9 19:19:43 2015

MY Apple watch is SNAD.

Its supposed to be like Dick Tracys, but it doesnt get TV or cable.

I cant download any torrents on it and iTunes doesnt play FLAC.

The MKV files I pirate dont play properly and the english subs are missing.

For all those reasons, my watch is SNAD - please send me a label for its return.

best regards
Rich Matsura

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jun 9 20:02:59 2015

I'll buy and use this phone or its upgrades when John Donahoe is arrested, convicted, and given a life sentence in federal prison for the multitude of crimes he has committed since 2008 (if not before).

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jun 9 20:50:03 2015

@Philip Cohen : Good to Know  :o)

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jun 9 21:17:54 2015

No.  And I have no need for an Apple watch.  Pure hype.  People always seem to have to have the latest and greatest.  You have to hand it to Apple's Marketing organization though.

by: Pkvbmg This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 10 18:54:23 2015

I wouldn't buy an Apple watch! I do have an iPad and I love it but I'm not spending that kind of money on any watch.
So no, I wouldn't.

by: Jus_e This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 00:45:22 2015

I'm sorry but I think Apple Phones are dumb, as with Samsung. Samsung came out with them 1st. Just to look at it I would have to put reading glasses on...***sigh*** old age.
They are gearing the latest technology for kids (younger generation.) While it is cute, however, I find it not to be practical, no matter how they wrap it up and package it with pretty bows. Oh, wait, I did find 1 or 2 great uses for this device, great for when your jogging, hiking, climbing mountains.

by: LinneyPinney This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 01:12:40 2015

I love my apple watch for communication purposes. Would never conduct business with it. Screen too small.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 01:33:14 2015

I don't even have a cell phone, why would I want one of those watches? Reminds me of the Dick Tracy comics or aren't you able to talk on one of these?

How much do they cost anyhow?

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 03:07:11 2015

Never would I buy an Apple watch.
Never would I use a watch to buy or sell anything.
A watch is to tell time PERIOD.

by: GotToGetOut This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 07:18:01 2015

I have a smart phone but since it's so hard to get to Ebay to buy, I just wait to shop on Ebay (in rare instances when I will check their deals against Amazon that I prefer) by computer. As a seller, I see too many people who make mistakes when buying -- just the other day I had a big sale for 10 plates for $47 each. The money was in Paypal but there was no sale listed in my Ebay account. The buyer wrote to Ebay saying they didn't make the purchase and then an hour later they purchased one. Obviously, they made a mistake. I'm glad they were able to correct it without me having hte $.30 Paypal transaction fee I'd still be responsible for and the problem of making sure I didn't get charged for Ebay fees, especially since it was a large order.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 11 07:56:57 2015

>> The buyer wrote to Ebay saying they didn't make the purchase and then an hour later they purchased one.<<

What is it about buyers that they just can't be honest and say they made a mistake instead of many times trying to pawn it off onto the seller? Use the business credit card, say the seller sent the wrong thing. Order more than one, say the dog, child, husband, poltergeist did it. I would so much rather work with a buyer that is upfront about their mistake as I would try so hard not to embarrass them. But to say I sent the wrong size when it is the ONLY size makes me look bad and also makes me mad. I can't conceive of how anyone can order or why they would want to, via a watch. In the commercials they are also using them to literally swipe their credit cards. Has any of them gone crazy yet and bought all the purchases going on at a busy store checkout yet?

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Thu Jun 11 09:06:17 2015

To take full advantage of this app we ordered 2 Apple Watches - one to Sell with, and one to Buy with.