Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri May 15 2015 21:21:31

Google Gets Further into Ecommerce with Buy Buttons

Google plans to add Buy Buttons to mobile ads when people search for products on their gadgets, according to the Wall Street Journal, citing "people familiar with the launch." According to the newspaper:

The buttons will accompany sponsored - or paid - search results, often displayed under a "Shop on Google" heading at the top of the page. Buttons won't appear with the nonsponsored results that are driven by Google's basic search algorithm.

If shoppers click on the buy buttons, they will be taken to another Google product page to complete the purchase, the people explained. On that page, they will be able to pick sizes and colors and shipping options, as well as complete the purchase, one of the people said.

The move is something Google CEO Larry Page referenced 2 years ago without providing details.

The question is, why hasn't Google added a buy button to ads shown on search results on desktops by now? It's not as though it hasn't been trying- the answer is likely that advertisers have resisted, preferring to have shoppers come directly to their own website. But on mobile, it's more difficult to get shoppers to complete transactions.

Presumably merchants are willing to give up some control in exchange for higher sales, and presumably Google is offering mobile shoppers a streamlined experience that provides a sense of security.

The article addresses merchant concerns and says Google will provide them with email addresses etc. - if the shopper opts in, but says Google will not provide payment information to merchants. It will be interesting to see which payment methods it accepts.

What do you think of Google's latest play in ecommerce? Do Amazon and eBay have anything to worry about with the new Google Buy Button?

Perminate Link for Google Gets Further into Ecommerce with Buy Buttons   Google Gets Further into Ecommerce with Buy Buttons

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri May 15 23:42:42 2015

I'm not sure this is the ''Buy'' button the article is referring to, as this is not always mobile:

I have been playing with 'decorating' sites that have ads - (like ecommercebytes) - with things I like to look at.

I do a Google search for something I enjoy - for example some works by a Japanese artist - then let the magic begin. I go to ecommercebytes or anywhere that has ads, and Boom! it is all very zen with lovely art popping up and scrolling around in the ad spaces.

Inner peace and tranquility.

And - yes - those lovely works of art have a ''Buy'' button!

Right now I am seeing a Japanese guy playing a flute under a full moon. He's standing on a ''shop now''  button. I assume it would take me to the art site and not Google - but maybe not?

Perhaps I shall try Googling Picasso - fortunately you don't have to actually AFFORD it to search for it and 'decorate' with it. I know, I know - too much time on my paws.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat May 16 10:32:03 2015

Has Google said how much they are going to charge for this service?

Some of my eBay items show up in a Google search and it would be nice if buyers could buy them directly from that search.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 18 15:06:21 2015

Almost ANY thing I search for from diseases to products shows up within nano-seconds on whatever site I am on--just as BASSET described!

And as far as using any "mobile"  device shy of my lap-top or my Kindle---using my "smart phone"  to buy things is largely a joke;  most times sites won't even connect and finding HOW to do this and PAY for something is a joke.

Yesterday I went and looked at ebay for something using my phone and found a Search result of a mere dozen or so items when I KNOW that there are well OVER 1500 of what I was searching for---so even when you DO try and use a mobile device the sites themselves are NOT set up to SHOW you what the REAL options are.  I am sure that if this is how ebay is doing it then other sites might be a fraction more "friendly"  but--I have NOT seen this in actual fact.

IF Google can over come these limits--and this is a BIG "IF"---then bully for them;  I would like to know HOW to add one of these BUY buttons to the things I list--many times in vain---on eBay.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 18 16:05:24 2015

As mentionned several times on this site, Google has punished Ebay for bad SEO pracices and no longer shows their listings in top of search.

I'm starting more and more to believe that this is a part of a bigger plan. I'm starting more and more to believe that Google will be the first candidate if Ebay ever gets sold.

And it would make perfect sense. What does google now do? They already charge sellers for addwords/google shopping. So a market place where they just charge sellers for a service without actually selling as Amazon does, would make perfect sense.

So, punish Ebay for so called bad SEO practices, let the company go down the toilet and then buy Ebay cheap. Makes more and more sense to me.

by: Rick Imbe This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 23 23:30:48 2015

And why does Google have the right to tell ebay they have bad SEO?

Goog wields so much power under the table it is scary.

Amazon pages always come up high in the Goog results. I wonder if this will change when google gets into ecommerce in a big way.

The Goog results have pretty much eliminated almost all small website ecommerce sites.