Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Feb 11 2015 22:33:14

eBay Forces Shoppers to Click to View Item Descriptions

When visitors click through to an eBay listing, they can see photos and structured data at the top, followed by the seller's description. eBay turned on a switch on Wednesday evening in which some visitors can no longer see the description unless they click a separate button.

According to one user, clicking the button brought up a popup box containing the description. The user then had to close the box before they could see other parts of the listing page.

A seller wrote on the eBay discussion boards that she was "heartbroken" at the way the listing page now looks for her. "I spend so much time writing descriptions and taking great pictures. Loading them to the web, writing the HTML. I'm kind of heartbroken that the listing page looks so bad now."

She continued, "I just listed 2 antiques for more than a hundred each - who the heck is going to continue buying that kind of piece when the listing page is so ugly and difficult to read?"

Another eBay user was not so polite, tweeting, "eBay now wants to hide item descriptions behind a mouse click. What the actual fuck?"

They continued to vent on Twitter, "Whoever proposed that idea, and those who saw its implemention on the site for testing, have clearly never used the site before," and added, "eBay is frustrating."

However, not all users are seeing the new feature, which appears to be a test eBay is running. We asked eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore tonight if that was the case.

See Thursday's EcommerceBytes Newflash for more details, and let us know what you think.

Perminate Link for eBay Forces Shoppers to Click to View Item Descriptions   eBay Forces Shoppers to Click to View Item Descriptions

by: TeddyElectron This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 11 22:51:37 2015

This is a horrible idea. Many buyers don't even read the descriptions anyway and this just makes it too difficult for some.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 11 23:02:58 2015

I saw this today , had to check what site I was on. This is real stupid , & I see no reason , or logic in this new insane move to make this dying place , more dead.
I agree with last post too.

Its another way not to see descriptions & get nailed some more, for item not as described.

Dang deabay dorks , dah ha , lets try this , & this , & this , well make em all go away , duh ha huh.

They should fence the place & make it an insane asylum. They already have their first tenant , ehh there JD. Dork! Just stupid!! What is wrong with these idiots?

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 11 23:03:01 2015

Just a venue, lol. Disruptive innovation. Everyone buy a share of stock and vote every one of those M.........ers out. Unbelievable.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Feb 12 00:03:19 2015

I guess now that eBay makes a profit when buyers initiate returns through the managed return process, the company feels the need to obfuscate listing descriptions in order to assure more returns will be processed.

It is bad enough that buyers often do not read the descriptions that are right in front of them.

Which incompetent idiot in San Jose thinks that hiding descriptions from buyers is a good idea? As eBay is laying off thousands - that fool should be at the top of the list of terminations.

I urge every reader to utilize the "tell us what you think" and blast the company for this lame brained feature.

Some questions for eBay's soon to be CEO...

Do you really think that making it harder for buyers to read descriptions benefits buyers, sellers or ultimately eBay?  As it is, when sellers do not have any information in their descriptions, I refuse to consider that sellers item for purchase figuring that if they are too lazy to write a description, then they may be too lazy to pack the item properly or ship the item on time.

Does anyone at eBay really believe that making sellers jump through an extra hoop to read the description is going to result in increased sales?

Just when you think you can not laugh any harder at eBay's corporate management, sure enough, someone comes up with yet another punch line that has people falling out of their chairs laughing at the stupidity.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:06:34 2015

I sell used items, and I have my images inline. Without the full description, its impossible to really get an idea of the item that I'm selling.

Its as bad as an ended listing when you have to click another time to see the actual listing.

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:10:45 2015

Every user I looked at on the thread came up like normal on IE and Chrome, must be limited to certain users.

There was also mention of HTML in the thread;  I thought I read somewhere HTML wasn't supported on the mobile formats/app?  Is it possible they're trying to come up with a work around so HTML be viewed on the app?

Anyway, it's not affecting everyone.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Feb 12 00:17:42 2015

When all else fails to eliminate enough TRS sellers, this ILLEGAL scheme is their answer.

This violates every consumer protection law I can think of.

DEATH TO EBAY INC. in 2015!!!

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:24:05 2015

If its annoying, stupid and unnecessary....its ebay!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:24:57 2015

Dunno if this is related but---when posting a NEW listing today for a spendy item I was UNABLE to see my own listing for HOURS (and am not sure if it is showing even now)==when I C&P'd the title and went to another account and plugged it in--NOPE; ZERO; NADA--and not only for MY item;  there is  now only ONE of these items when a few HOURS ago there were a few HUNDRED.  The "count"  on these has gone down dramaticly during the past few HOURS.  AQ few times it has shown as ZERO items of this title!!!

I have not as of yet seen the notice to CLICK to actually SEE an item---

The blind leading the blind out there in CA.  Must be something in the air or water.

When you can't even C&P and get an actual listed item--who the helll can SELL anything that way???

Guess I could look at it this way--no one ELSE is going to be selling this same item if NO ONE CAN BE SEEN.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Feb 12 00:30:04 2015

Now the joke gets even funnier.

I called eBay customer service to voice my dissatisfaction that eBay is concealing listing descriptions.

Instead of getting a message about wait times, instead of being connected to an agent, I received a recorded message that Customer Service is not taking any calls at this time due to "system maintenance" !!!

It is obvious from this that eBay simply does not want to hear from people expressing how idiotic this change is and how it is going to hurt sellers.

by: Belle This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:30:45 2015

I go on to ebay many times every day and I do buy quite a bit. Beginning today, it appears that I am in the 'test' group that doesn't get to see the descriptions until I click on the magic button.

The first couple of times I did click the button (figuring it was just a fluke and would straighten itself out). By mid day, I decided I wouldn't visit ebay again today and would wait until tomorrow.

Now that I know this is the way of the future, I won't be back. I'll keep an eye on ecommercebytes and if it's ever announced that ebay has come to their senses, MAYBE I'll visit again. Ebay is no longer the only game in town. I'll go elsewhere for what I want

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:43:50 2015

Next on the list for ebay...a Price is Right Wheel! Press this big button for a spin. Whatever the price lands on is the price you pay.  PLAY NOW!!!! ...and we will trademark the words Play Now like Buy it now!

by: Saintsteven This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:51:34 2015

No enthusiasm for this one at all.  Seems like a spectacular blunder to me.

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 00:57:15 2015

It'll quietly go away just as the dopy photo counts in the gallery and the babble on the labels, the intrusive watchers banner, etc. etc. They use live listings for beta. That's doing it wrong.

by: Judie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 01:06:18 2015

This is the remarks I sent to ebay about this mess.

To the customer it looks like the seller does not care enough to put item specifics in their listings. I would not purchase this item or any other that displayed this format. How many people are going to look for a ''See full item description'' link? And then click on it?
Not many.
How do you intend to deal with ''Item not as described'' complaints. There is no description. Does that mean that the customer cannot use ''Item not as described'' to get a refund or work out a problem? Duh!  The customer has to go by the picture and the
stated product and shipping price for that is all that is showing. As long as the picture matches and the shipping price is as stated that is it. Sale Final.The person who thought this up needs to be one of the people that you are laying off.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Feb 12 01:37:16 2015

Is this yet another accommodation for mobile devices?

by: Hannaford Crump This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 01:40:16 2015

This has to be the dumbest thing eBay has done since implementing defects and hiring Donahoe.

by: Hannaford Crump This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 01:45:46 2015

I won't even browse on eBay, let alone buy, until they fix this. It just makes it that much more difficult to look through hundreds of listings to find something worth buying.

Amazon will now get 100% of my business.

by: marty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 03:53:57 2015

I have about 15 sales a day. Today 0. I went to check if there is anything wrong with the site and I see the 'improvement' Terrible, if I am a buyer I would think the site is not working, practically an empty page, I would be gone in a second. When you click on the link you will get a window that does not fill the entire display so you have to scroll more than usual. It is really time somebody takes charge of this sinking ship

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 12 05:44:43 2015

Maybe this new FUBAR Abomination was actually the result of an entire DEPARTMENT or GROUP who were ALL RIF'd in the layoffs setting up one Giant F.U. for the remaining management to deal with?  Sort of like SuperGluing all the #6 buttons on the office telephones or forcing entire rolls of paper towels down the toilets?  Yes, this is a stupid plan.  The only way I could see that this would EVER be a PLUS would be if the ENTIRE TEST were always to be there like usual, but the BUYER would have to CLICK on a similar button to SEE description and then have to click a SECOND button at the bottom of description AFFIRMING that they had personally READ the description.  I could get behind THAT sort of change.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  [Next Page]