Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Nov 19 2015 11:41:30

Be Aware of PayPal Debit Card Issues When Shopping Today

PayPal is having technical issues with its debit card and possibly its website as well, which is making for some embarrassing situations today. "Just got my card declined at the grocery store because of a planned system update at 9:00am," wrote one user on Twitter at 10:38 am ET.

Reports are coming in to Twitter, there's this report on the PayPal discussion board - "I live in Delta, Ohio and my debit card is being declined!  I have been on hold for 45 min now!"

And on Ecommerce EKG, there's this report: "Despite a huge balance in my Paypal account, my debit card was declined this morning at 2 different merchants, both for amounts under $10.00."

There are also reports of problems with the website (we could log in), such as this Tweet: PayPal A lot of your site is down. You have a status page that says "Emergency Maintenance", but it cannot be viewed. What's happening? (10:42 AM ET - 19 Nov 2015)

PayPal has had recent outages (a three-hour outage on October 4 and an outage on October 29).

We've got a request in to PayPal for more information, stay tuned - and you might want to bring an alternative payment method with you if you plan on using your PayPal debit card today.

Update: PayPal provided us with the following statement this afternoon: "Earlier today, we saw an issue where some PayPal Debit MasterCard customers were unable to complete transactions. We worked quickly with our card processing partner to resolve this issue. It's our priority to make sure our customers can use their money when and where they want to, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience this has caused."

Perminate Link for Be Aware of PayPal Debit Card Issues When Shopping Today   Be Aware of PayPal Debit Card Issues When Shopping Today

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 11:52:27 2015

I for one am really really glad that when Sunday comes we are done for the year...All five of our stores will be closed until January 15. Hopefully the fleecebay, paypig glitches will be done by then,

We are looking forward to reading about the nightmares that both of these shaky sites are going to give sellers and buyers alike.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Nov 19 11:58:57 2015

For all you Paypal haters Square started trading today on the NYSE with the symbol SQ

Looks risky to me being the pro Paypal'r I am!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Nov 19 12:02:16 2015

I use my Paypal debit card everyday everywhere I go.

This could be a real problem for me today!

Can you imagine this happening when the US Government implements digital cash.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Thu Nov 19 12:59:51 2015

It's Old Johnny Hoe at work. What do you expect with him there. He will make ridiculous and needless obstacles at every turn. Give him time and he'll all but put Paypal out of business.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Nov 19 13:49:51 2015

Looks like Paypal is committing hari kari but instead of using a sword, they are monetizing it to death. Yes, JD is there alright. Instead of a dark cloud following him everywhere he goes, JD is the dark cloud.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Nov 19 16:23:17 2015

PayPal is falling apart just like eBay is. What do both companies have in common? JD used to run eBay, and now he runs PayPal. I guess wherever JD goes, disaster follows.

by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 17:38:35 2015

Well, I just tried to pay with my regular old account on eBay and had to jump through ten hoops.

Since when do I need to give them information they already have?  THEN, it told me the "session" had timed out.
I was tempted to email the seller and explain what was going on but given the current climate on eBay, I'll just keep trying.  They'll never believe me!

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 17:50:38 2015

Twice in the last two weeks Paypal has withdrawn money out of my checking account to pay for purchases rather than out of my account balance. This was a real problem as both withdrawals put me at risk of not being able to cover automatic bill withdrawals. When I called both times the credited my account and I was able to transfer funds into my checking account in time to cover the payments.

I told the customer service agent I spoke with yesterday that since Paypal has improperly handled two transactions in the last two weeks I would stop sending payments with the service until I knew it was safe to do so again. He promised someone would call me and update me on when my account had been corrected. No call yet.

I contacted two sellers and explained I could send them personal checks for my purchases but would not be able to send payment via Paypal until I know my account has been fixed. They understood.

As I stressed to the Paypal agent, mishandling financial transactions is a very serious problem. Especially in light that if I am doing business on eBay I have no alternative method of processing payments. He was professional and apologetic but I am also shooting for competent.

Ebay is already such a mess, now adding this cluster of Paypal problems, . . . I just do not think Ebay/Paypal could recover at this point from one more serious problem like a Paypal data breach or widespread system account collapse.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Thu Nov 19 18:36:29 2015

@ JQ, NEVER, EVER have your paypal account linked to you main bill paying checking account. I have 3 separate accounts. My main money account where my paycheck is direct deposited and all my bills and house hold needs are taken care of. Then, I have a checking account strictly for buying with paypal. 3rd account is where I pay ebay selling fees. Haven't sold in years, but it's there if I want to. It sounds like a hassle, but it keeps Greedbay and Paypals greasy paws off my main money. They can shut you down at the drop of a hat and I for one won't risk my living money frozen on a whim. I transfer just enough from my main account to cover my paypal buying or ebay selling fees. Sad you have to think like a crook to beat a crook sometimes.

by: JQ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 19 18:59:14 2015

@Beanie,
I think this is good advice. Something I will be looking into in the near future.

Frustrating thing, I have used Paypal for about 10 years and never had serious issues with them until the split. Now the site is much less stable. Also this is not the first time I have had to deal with a serious problem caused by a "glitch" (i.e. incompetent programming forced on users without testing). I literally never had to call Paypal for the first ten years I used them. I have had to call four times in the last two months. I don't know specifically what is going on over there but they went through their good will capital very quickly with me following the break-up.

Apparently Amazon is about to roll out its new version of Checkout By Amazon. I am looking forward to offering it on Bonanza and Etsy ASAP. I don't love Amazon, but they really seem to have their act together in matters like this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Thu Nov 19 19:27:39 2015

@JQ, Yes it has worked VERY well for me. The small expense of monthly checking account fees pales in comparison to what Ebay and Paypal can cost you. Also, don't forget that idiot John Donahoe that ran Ebay into the ground is over at Paypal now. So it's no telling what he is screwing up over there. He must be doing some of his "thinking Days" LOL! Yea, thinking how he can squeeze every dime out of everything and everyone and leave Paypal ruined too.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Nov 20 06:42:05 2015

iheartjacksparrow says " I guess wherever JD goes, disaster follows.

You can count on it iheartjacksparrow. And Toolguy, I could not agree with you more, you and eBay and PayPal are a match made in.....well, I just can't say heaven...but somewhere.

by: Troy Stiffler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 21 16:37:47 2015

They were having server errors last week too.  Really frustrating when I needed into my account, but was met with Ajax-type errors.  Of course, I read everywhere that PayPal customer service was blaming internet providers and connections - and not acknowledging that it was an internal problem.

They also had a really annoying change with Quickbooks Online connectivity.  Without notice, it stopped pulling my transactions.  I got around to fixing it 45 days later.  But now I have to pay my CPA to go in and re-import and audit everything to make sure nothing was missed.

You guys can 'blame Donahoe'' all you want.  But I'm more interested in the logistical reason for these problems.  Did they pare down their staff?  Lower pay?  Lower morale after the split?  I never had ''system'' problems with PayPal before.  I've been using it since the day it started.  Now it's feeling unstable.  I wonder what's going on over there.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 03:04:12 2015

It happened to me also...PP Debit was declined for no reason

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 11:03:05 2015

Nevermind 11/18, paypal's problem just hit me on 11/23. Maybe JDs on another 'thinking day'?

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 23 11:10:05 2015

This is just one reason I don't keep very much money in my PP account!

by: Troy Stiffler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 25 09:52:00 2015

PayPal is having problems again this morning.  Can't pay for items I purchased on Ebay.  When trying to buy, it says, ''We are having a technical hiccup and PayPal isn't available right now. You can pay with a credit or debit card instead.''  I tried using my PayPal debit card info and received another error.

by: Troy Stiffler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 25 09:55:52 2015