Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Oct 30 2015 19:25:39

eBay to Email Sellers Impacted by Thursday Outage

eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore confirmed on Friday evening that a power outage at one of its data centers impacted its marketplace on Thursday. At this time, neither he nor a spokesperson we reached for PayPal would address the fact that both companies experienced a data-center power outage at the same time.

eBay will be emailing sellers who may have been negatively impacted, Moore told us.

We wanted to get the following crucial information out to sellers ASAP:

In addition to crediting certain fees for some listings, eBay will tell sellers in the email that it will remove any transaction defects it can identify as resulting from the event:

- 'Item Not Received' Money Back Guarantee cases that we determine are the result of this situation will be de-scored, and will not count towards your seller performance rating.

- Any transaction you cancel because of this event will not impact your seller performance rating.

- Top Rated Sellers: If-due to this issue-you were unable to upload tracking information to eBay within your stated handling time, your Top Rated status and Top Rated Plus discounts will be protected.

Moore told us the power outage occurred at 9:50 pm ET (6:50 pm PT) and lasted until 11:54 pm ET, though we note the all-clear wasn't given to users on the Systems Board until 12:51 am ET.

We saw cases last night where sellers said their auctions were ending during the power outage, missing out on bids that typically come in the final minutes and seconds of auction-format listings. eBay no longer has an outage policy, as we've noted previously - and it emails sellers directly rather than posting the remedies on the announcement board.

Here's information we provided during and after  the eBay and PayPal outages via the AuctionBytes Blog, and look for more details to follow in Monday's Newsflash newsletter.

Perminate Link for eBay to Email Sellers Impacted by Thursday Outage   eBay to Email Sellers Impacted by Thursday Outage

by: drumnguy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 30 20:42:44 2015

I am calling shenanigans!  These large e-commerce companies have multiple redundancies for power...dual feeds from the city grid, huge UPS backups and diesel generators.  Not to mention redundant data centers in different parts of the country or globe.  If eBay went down hard, it was not due to a power outage.  I bet they got hacked again!!

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 08:34:24 2015

@drumnguy

Your post may be more accurate than I gave 'em credit for. Since they barely even acknowledged the last hack - the one WE know about, anyway! - their credibility is lower than whale dung. Yes, data centers, properly designed and managed, have multiple redundancies. The key is that "properly managed" part. On that score, I have my serious doubts.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 08:37:36 2015

"[fe]eBay no longer has an outage policy.."

So, they don't plan for outages? They have NO BIZ PLAN?

You can be sure, however, that if your "backup funding source" somehow goes South, so they can't grab dough away from you on a bogus SNAD, then YOU will be dealt with swiftly and with prejudice! Yeah, they have a 'plan' for that!

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 11:03:37 2015

Everyday is an outage , should receive a email every day. I think they are on permanent outage. Zero traffic , for a zero company.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 11:17:14 2015

Oh , & stick your seller performance ebay. You , deadbay , have got to be the stupidest people in e ecommerce. You have chased off your buyers/sellers , & expect your business to rise. Fall baby fall , you deserve what you get losers. Bad rep , bad sales ,bad words everywhere about you. Im waiting to hear of your crash & burn. Retarded idiots run deadbay , none worthy of the position.

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 31 14:03:46 2015

Here is an excerpt from the amigobulls website yesterday:

eBay has a market cap of $34.41 billion (October 29th close)- which is much smaller than Amazon's. However, it is worth noting that eBay doesn't own the products it sells. As a result, its performance is volatile compared to that of Amazon. As an ecommerce platform, it struggles to maintain a consistent customer service experience for its buyers. There is a sentiment among some consumers that eBay is a 'riskier' place to buy as compared to Amazon. Therefore, eBay is more affected by competition, and market forces than Amazon.

eBay's stock price more than halved in July 2015 when it was revealed that eBay was under performing in some key metrics. Moreover, the sellers on eBay are the lifeblood of the company; however, the increasing costs of doing business on eBay means that sellers are forced to operate on very tight margins. For casual sellers, the costs can be a turn-off.

It seems that eBay has the strategy of milking its sellers for as much money as possible. At the end of the day, putting a popular product for sale on eBay almost gurarantees eyeballs. Therefore, eBay is a great place for buyers to gain exposure. However, the high costs are forcing many sellers to sell their products on their own websites. It isn't unusual to receive a package from a seller which includes a discount for your next purchase so long as you buy it on their own website.

eBay's stock climbed 9% on the 21st of October 2015 due to a stronger than expected third quarter. However, eBay's longevity in the industry will be based on its ability to manage its seller and buyer relationships while improving its core product. At the moment, the unique selling point of eBay is unclear, because Amazon offers low prices, fast shipping, and an unparalleled customer service.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Oct 31 16:34:12 2015

@Santini

"eBay's stock price more than halved in July 2015 when it was revealed that eBay was under performing in some key metrics."

BIG FALSE!

It spun off Paypal, that's why the price looked like it went in half.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Oct 31 22:40:56 2015

Outage ? There should be no Outage! It's the NEW MILLENNIUM.
There's a protocol known as REDUNDANT BACKUP. Professionals are NEVER caught in this state.
Where are Ebay's backup generators?
And backup barns. Ebay should have at least 3 mirrors...

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Oct 31 22:42:59 2015

Oh Ya,  John Donahoe ATE IT !

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 1 02:27:33 2015

Oddly, yesterday a Buyer bought a postcard, then sent me a message saying he didn't buy it, and he had no interest in it.

I thought, ''Oh sure'', then did a Cancellation Request, and sent him a message informing him to cancel the transaction when asked.

Then today he paid for it, but said not to send it, just consider the payment was him buying me a cup of coffee. He said he didn't know where that postcard came from, and it wasn't on his watch list.

Now, I believe him, and told him to please confirm the cancellation, so he would be automatically refunded.

Something weird is going on at Ebay. I think mischief is a foot!

Anyone else have this happen during the last few days?

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 1 02:55:41 2015

eBay stock. It still looks like it just split in half.
28.43 July 23 / 2015
27.90 Oct 30  / 2015

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 1 07:38:54 2015

LOL Moore sends out the same BS email whenever there's a problem.

Moore - make sure you change the date on it this time!

eBay loves to shoot itself in the foot over and over again, and they think people are dumb enough to believe them each time!

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 00:22:04 2015

hmm... that what happened. A buyer bought something, paid for it, and it never showed in my ebay and it was still listed. I contacted the buyer, and they confirmed they had issues and still wanted it. I ended the listing, and don't think I got charged the FVF fee.

I also noticed that turbolister couldn't upload listings, and kept going to a login screen. Didn't realize things were that bad.

by: margo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 02:58:49 2015

I bought something with my ebay bucks and it never showed up in my ebay account that I bought it but it showed up it was paid for in Paypal. I contacted the seller and they said they had not received a payment. So I contacted paypal and they said the seller had not been paid. So then I contacted ebay again because I was concerned about my ebay bucks. They told me the site was having  some issues and they would investigate it. I got a email from them issuing me another ebay bucks certificate. In the meantime the seller emails me and said they were just paid. So I call ebay back and tell them and they said they cannot take back the certificate so just accept it as a gift. Well the seller emails me again and said the money was taken out of his account and refunded back to me. So I am calling ebay again to find out what to do and they told me to buy the product again so he will get his money. With ebay on the phone I try to buy again and a message came up that there was a problem . I am using google chrome so ebay tells me to use internet explorer and when I tried that it kept saying ebay not responding but I was able to get on other sites just fine. Finally they tell me to use my phone to buy the item and that is what I did. I contacted the seller and they said this time the transaction showed up in their ebay account and they were paid and the transaction also showed up in my ebay account so hopefully all is good and I ended up with a free ebay bucks certificate. But after all the trouble and time I was on the phone with ebay and paypal plus corresponding with the seller I just dont know if I will buy on ebay again. This has been one big headache.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 07:41:10 2015

Redundant backups, generators etc..ebay in their wisdom gave the money for that part of the operation to JD and the BOD.

$23 million to stay on for a couple of months????
The only way the board would approve such lunacy if they were also well compensated.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 08:11:09 2015

These two companies are a complete disaster.....

by: whipnet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 08:27:44 2015

No datacenter redundancy?  Doubtful, or completely asinine.

My tiny websites that I run are set up on multiple centers in different parts of the country.  Regardless of how small or large you are, this is WEB 101.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 09:36:09 2015

OT:  I just ranted with a CSR rep that these free listing fees are hard to keep up with.  One month it's 50 fee, then the next it's 20 free, then it's 1000 free.  They need to just stop the listing fees PERIOD.  Do like AMZ and just let us list for free unlimited time period.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 09:39:03 2015

From your article Ina I'm quoting:

Moore said eBay would automatically credit all associated fees for listings that were scheduled to end on Thursday, October 29 between 6:45 PM PT through 9:00 PM PT. The fee credits will apply to the following:

Auction-style listings that ended within this window of time (except those that sold for a Buy It Now price).

Fixed price listings that ended within this window of time without a sale (with the exception of 30-day and Good 'Til Cancelled listings)."

OK  WHAT exactly is the credit being offered for the auctions that ended during that time, do you know? or can you post a link if you found one to ebay's post about this?

as for part two - about the Fixed Price listings, EXCEPT for 30 day and GTC?  if those ended during the power outage they should be credited too if it's a paid listing (not part of the store alotment or some listing special)

we paid for the listing, and 30 day or GTC typically sell (for me) at the end of the listing... so they wasted the fee I paid by being out of service during that "window".

by: queenfloraday This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 2 10:04:22 2015

I had a ''sale'' that was paid for by a seller researching an item they had matching an item I had listed. They had no intention of buying my item. Ebay sold it to them and paid for out of their PP funds. It was not easy to rectify this transaction but the other seller and I were finally able to get it cleared up. Neither of us were able to figure out how this happened even after the other seller spoke to eBay CS several times.
Cancellation of sales, returns, exchanges, ending and deleting a listing should be an easy process but all of these processes on eBay are difficult, time consuming and confusing.....