Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Oct 21 2015 00:04:30

eBay Rolls Out New Seller Hub Today

Sellers who opted in to try eBay's new Seller Hub in beta testing began seeing the new hub this evening. eBay's head of community posted a message early this morning, and said eBay wanted to hear feedback from sellers who had access to the new feature.

"Just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic," a reader told us this evening after gaining access to the new hub. "Now it's just harder to see everything I was able to see in one place before."

For example, there's nothing about buying in the seller hub - as if sellers don't buy, the reader said. "You have to go to "eBay Home" to see the Buying side. More clicks. More clicks. Thanks, eBay, for LENGTHENING my work load, instead of shortening it. More clicks, more scrolling uses up my time, not to mention upping my frustration level."

There was little that was new, other than statistics found under the Performance tab, the seller said.

Another change - it appears to be optimized for mobile.

Thanks for the early notice - and if you opted in to try the new Seller Hub in beta and gained access, let us know what you think!

Perminate Link for eBay Rolls Out New Seller Hub Today   eBay Rolls Out New Seller Hub Today

by: ORDDFW This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 21 01:47:57 2015

So one reader's complaint is that there's no buying information on something called the "SELLER hub"?  I think that reader needs to work on being a reader.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Oct 21 02:43:04 2015

What percentage of total Ebay members are sellers ?

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 21 07:02:32 2015

Does the Seller Hub have a Rolling Blackout indicator?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 21 07:08:28 2015

As I glance at the image associated with Ina's article (I have not viewed this up close and for now I do not intend to) it appears that someone from eBay paid a visit to Google Analytics and liked what they saw.

I liken it to using a drone to photograph a cow pasture.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 21 07:55:37 2015

@ORDDFW & The End

My complaint was that in the old My eBay system, both Selling and Buying operations were contained and accessible from the same page.  Now, with the new Seller Hub, it seems as if they have tried to isolate Selling from Buying, or vice versa.  While that will have no effect on (only) Buyers, many Sellers are Buyers, too, and they've added another layer between the two operations.  To get to Buying, I have to click on a link to go to ''eBay Home'', and then click AGAIN to get to what I want on the Buying side.  Two clicks or more, instead of one.  All these clicks add up.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 21 08:05:55 2015

Is this what they create with 32,000 employees?

Im on the wait list - but I doubt I would care if it ever came.

Im intersted in SALES, not eBay magic baloney formulas which amount to nothing.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 21 10:15:45 2015

We need visibility and sales....ebay as of late is only providing promises and gimmicks

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Oct 21 10:38:29 2015

I declined to opt in to the revised page primarily due to the fact that I have seen past changes made for the sake of making changes and am not interested in viewing more of the same.

It is a sad corporate commentary that with such vital functions such as search broken from day one, company management continues to make meaningless changes instead of addressing the long term site defects which are alienating buyers and sellers alike.

I guess they figure that a shiny new page to look at will distract users from the plethora of unaddressed systems that are broken.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 21 11:07:29 2015

Ric says "Until eBay addresses their broken search engine that kills visibility for so many sellers while leaving buyers feeling eBay no longer has the selection they once had, all these revisions reflect nothing more than busy work for programmers."

Bingo!

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 21 12:29:58 2015

Gesh I just wish that the brainiac IT'S at Fleecebay would just fix the old programing problems before creating new ones.

Must be that Fleecebay is getting their programers that flunke out of school cause they sure don't have a clue as to how to fix anything much less program something new.

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 21 14:51:29 2015

Might as well be Ebay rolls out new
"Seller tombstone" data center. LOL

by: rosachs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 22 00:43:06 2015

Tried the new SellerHub... opted out about 30 minutes later.
-- Packslips were printing wrong - font was off, multiple packslips were printing on a single page.
-- No way to contact a buyer on an order waiting for payment.  Buyer (based on delivery address) had used two different IDs to purchase the same product (over $100 each).  Second was paid for, first was not.  Second was male (by name), first was female (by name), product was automotive lubricant.  Took multiple clicks back to the listing > purchase history > contact buyer....but that page doesn't share enough data about you or the sale and the buyer may think it's some kind of scam.
-- We also have a big problem in that we cannot control who sees what -- there's a lot of that data that we'd like to keep to the managers only.  No need for everyone to see our daily sales figures, after all.  Or how much our eBay bill is every month.
-- Product comparison was interesting... looked at one item and it found two 'competitors;.  One actually was...but the other was just another of our own listings!  Different condition, same item.  How 'helpful' should it be to compare right hand to left hand?

We opted out, with notes left for TPTB, so we could get back to WORK and GENERATE SALES and SHIP PRODUCT.  Putting pretty wrappers around already functional data displays is a waste of time.  Why not just make those original pages load faster?  Make the data more current?  Simply add links (properly placed) to those new features and leave the stuff that's working well ALONE!  It wasn't broke - it didn't need to be fixed!  I've got no problems with Selling Manager adding a few more subtabs to go with Active, Sold, Awaiting Payment, Awaiting Shipping.  Improve base functions, add new features slowly, and leave the cutesy redesign to the millennial yuppies who seem to draw sustenance from that kind of change-for-no-business-reason thing.

Did eBay have any REAL (family income comes from sales or been doing this 15 years, 100% feedback, great DSRs, kinda sellers).... or did they just grab a couple skateboarders off the street, stuff them full of Red Bull, and ask questions with lots and lots of big words??  Who approved this stuff??  What is that person's qualifications??  Was any QA done?  Did you know that you can't 'send them a comment' if you use a web-based mail service.... the "mailto:" doesn't want to play with GoDaddy Mail.

Feels more like a late Alpha test than an early Beta.  But what do I know... 30 year is IT development, testing, training doesn't mean that same as when I was in the trenches.  So Sad....

-Bob.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 22 02:30:01 2015

To answer some of the questions asked already, its simple. They don't sell on ebay so they don't understand what needs to be done and what needs to be left alone. They also Do want to limit you with certain information and as far as they are concerned the search is working exactly how they want it to work, best match first, rolling blackouts, hidden limits, etc. Easier for them to control things.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 22 07:13:42 2015

rosachs, there are project teams and MBA leaders of these teams who have to keep creating these things to justify their existence.  The points that you made are 100% accurate.

by: SirRocko This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 22 07:51:05 2015

I actually don't mind it at all... The amount of data (traffic, impressions, etc) available to us and the format it's presented in is much nicer than it used to be.  These are the things that matter to me.

I will admit though... it'd be really nice if there an export feature for this data to get it into excel.

by: Bethofvt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 22 08:47:35 2015

I took a look at it, tried to find the info that I need and use, got frustrated and opted out.  I am fine using selling manager.

by: meci This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 22 09:36:57 2015

@bbs you nailed it "They don't sell on ebay so they don't understand"  This seems to be an ongoing theme with half the decisions that are made.

We opted out within 15 minutes, looked like a mess of ideas with a big bright graph taking up most the upper corner.

Do they not know what links we are clicking on in SMP ?  Seems like most of the common links were buried and the whole thing had no flow - total waste of time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Oct 23 01:11:02 2015

In reading how the traffic reports fail to provide any granular detailed information that is remotely useful to sellers, one has to wonder what took eBay so damn long to come up with what amounts to a simple view counting program?

As broken as Omniture was with flawed data, that broken service provided ten times better information than eBay is allowing sellers access to.

Only eBay management could be foolish enough to believe that such a simplistic form of tracking report would be of any use to sellers.  Then again, when management does not sell on eBay, I guess even this most basic form of view tracking would seem impressive.

And there folks is the reason eBay finds itself becoming incrementally irrelevant to sellers and to buyers as well.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 24 11:28:13 2015

rosachs has already posted some major problems - I too opted out after 30 minutes and a phone call to ebay. Here's a big problem - I can no longer support myself on ebay so I have a b/m as well. It's the end of October ebay. Anyone in retail is working their butt off right now to try to tap into Christmas. This isn't exactly the right time to do this - should have been in july when we were all twittling our thumbs and had the time to address it. I didn't have the time to talk to some Chinese person who speaks broken English trying to explain how it works. I understand that you employ a bazillion useless tekie guys who sit around trying to justify their salary but there was from my limited experience looking at it very little that was of benefit to me. I'm a simple woman - I just need to sell my product. I get it that the glory days are gone. After selling 1/4 million $'s on ebay - can a simply get 1 sale a day? More ads - more exposure - more sales - that's all I want. I'm carrying the majority of the workload and the inventory - can you just get some shoppers in here?

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 24 11:30:42 2015

oh and did I mention that the format didn't even fit in my screen? that was pretty annoying scrolling back and forth trying to just read the whole page. And if I knocked it back to 75% I couldn't even read any of it anyway.