Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Oct 15 2015 13:02:49

PayPal Emails Sellers a Snapshot of Their Performance

PayPal sent sellers an email today that showed a snapshot of their performance for the month of September. eBay sellers discussing it online said the numbers shown did not reflect their actual performance, however.

Here's what the report said:

Your business snapshot for September 2015.
We've analyzed your sales data to give you an overview of your business in three key areas: International Sales, Mobile Sales and New Customers. Take a look at your statistics below to see how you did in September, and learn how you can make October even better.

PayPal also provided links in each of the three sections to tips:

- International Sales: See our 5 tips for selling internationally.
- Mobile sales: Learn about the benefits of having a mobile checkout experience.
- New Customers: Learn how to profit through social media.

A number of sellers said the reports showed 0% in all three categories, which they said was not accurate.

"Here's the thing... I had over 134 Transactions last month... 99% of them were NEW customers I'd never see before...So does PayPal have some OTHER site for me that I don't know about set up that's not getting sales or are they just completely ignoring eBay sales?"

"My numbers are nonsense, too: 1% Mobile and 1% new (they got the 0% International right)."

"Mine is the same, all zeros, the august report I had 97% new customers, 10% international sales, and 53% mobile sales. They will probably realize this and send out new reports."

An eBay seller also forwarded a copy of their report to us and noted, "Maybe if eBay had a better designed mobile shopping site (we) I would have sales." And, the reader said, "I'm discouraged from selling internationally because there's no way to track if the package reached the buyer overseas."

The PayPal business-snapshot email also included an ad for Constant Contact:

Drive more sales this holiday season.
Email marketing from Constant Contact helps you create professional communications that you can track; they can even provide you tools to promote your business through social channels. See how you can save up to 25%, just for being a PayPal customer. Learn more

That prompted one seller to write, "I think Constant Contact paid PayPal to send that out make sales look more bleak to get you to use their service."

Did you get a business snapshot from PayPal today? Let us know what you think of the reports.

Update 10/15/15: Constant Contact sent an email to its customers today to announce it now accepts PayPal as a payment method, along with a list of reasons why recipients should pay for things using PayPal .

Perminate Link for PayPal Emails Sellers a Snapshot of Their Performance   PayPal Emails Sellers a Snapshot of Their Performance

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Oct 15 13:15:24 2015

Yeah and it's broken.  I had only a single sale through PayPal and it told me 1% of my sale/shoppers were mobile/new.  Can't even do basic math...

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 13:29:07 2015

Pitiful, pitiful.  I had sales in September, but it's now showing in the PP report.
I would truly like to know WHO orders using the EB mobile app.  Does anybody know how we can find out?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 15 14:06:48 2015

Is it just me or can others tell that John Donahoe is over at PayPal?

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Thu Oct 15 14:28:53 2015

Gee, I feel left out .. lucky me! PayPal CS says that if PayPal has a message for a PayPal account customer that the message will appear on the PayPal web site. So, Ina's link to the eBay Forum includes comments suggesting that this is a phishing expedition by a scammer. Sounds about right to me too. It's Constant Contact BS.

by: Owen This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 16:39:52 2015

It appears to me that it is merely an ad for Constant Contact, since at the end of the email, they mention that you can save 25% on it. I am sure they want the report to look bad, so they can sell you on using this product to drive sales your way. It's a money grabber.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Oct 15 16:59:11 2015

So THAT was what was in the email PayPal sent me.  Based on the subject, I deleted it without opening it.

PayPal metrics are not in any way relevant to my business, so I am glad I did not waste my time on their email.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 17:24:48 2015

Oh darn where is the delete button...I found it. Trash.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Oct 15 17:42:35 2015

eBay is one of the worst offenders when it comes to sending unreadable e-mail.  A smart mailer will send text with an HTML or RTF attachment.  That way, fancy clients can get fancy presentation while simpler clients default to text.  But not eBay, no, they have to send raw markup that may as well render as wingdings in text mode...

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 21:53:59 2015

I reported this as spam to spoof@paypal.com because it came from noreply@ e.paypal.com, which I have not seen before (as far as I know, legitimate emails come from paypal.com and not e.paypal.com).
PayPal replied with the usual advice on not clicking the links, and said they were investigating, etc.
I did not hear back that the email was legit.
Considering recent news about site certificate spoofing and the captcha feature on the the PayPal account login screen, I'm not convinced the email is, in fact, legit.
Mine also showed zeros across the board as well.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 16 09:13:17 2015

@Rexford ROFL!!!!!  A truer statement was never uttered ;)

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 16 09:32:27 2015

I don't need no stinkin' "performance snapshots" from PayPig and The Hoe! Just keep your grubby, thieving mitts off MY MONEY! Function as a money transfer service, and keep your nose out of my business.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 16 21:25:26 2015

This email did not come from Paypal. It is not legit.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 19 00:29:09 2015

I got nuthin' ---

But---

When I went to Paypal to do a Money Request for a Buyer I was UNABLE to SEE my ACTIVITY--even tried refresh and logging out and going back in--the only way I could SEE that I did in fact get paid was that the running total amount changed;  and then a bot later I got an email confirmation.

So=--once again--a "glitch"  or same same different day non-functional Ho based operation?

I will post this to EKG and  mebbe lets see if any one else is having an issue---

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 19 00:46:28 2015

Just looked on EKG and "my"  issue of NO ACTIVITY reports on Paypal was accepted and posted several DAYS ago---have not seen this on my acct til today but obviously I just got lucky the other times--can you tell The Ho is over there meddling AGAIN????

by: Leesantiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 19 04:20:27 2015

That email was actually from Paypal?! I saw it, saw the 3 zeros - none of which are correct - and assumed that it was spam/fishing of some sort.  Deleted it without reading the rest....

Where did Paypal get those numbers from?  I know that they are all positive for me, and that none are zeros...

If Paypal has such simple things totally wrong, what else are they getting wrong!!??

Lee