Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Oct 4 2015 21:07:43

Are You Opting In to the New eBay Seller Hub This Month?

Those who read the announcement about eBay's Fall Seller Update know the marketplace is introducing a new "Seller Hub" that brings all the seller tools together in one place, but they may be unaware of the fact that it will become available beginning this month.

On Thursday, eBay sent an invitation to sellers inviting them to gain early access to the hub, which will launch in beta.

Not surprisingly, there was some trepidation and some cynicism over the new hub, and plenty of questions about what it was, exactly. But there was also some positive anticipation as well.

"My bet - eBay glitches will cause the data to be wrong thus making the seller reports useless," wrote one seller. "Sort of afraid of what glitches might be lurking there," wrote another.

Another seller who was optimistic that the new hub was a good thing had some fears over implementation. The seller believed the Seller Hub would provide cool tools and data to help sellers make decisions about products - but added, "Of course in order to work this has to run flawlessly - something eBay has not mastered. I think it's a good thing if it works."

"I have seen changes in eBay in the last year that leads me to believe Seller Hub will be a good tool," wrote another eBay seller. "In the last year we have had some better experiences with at least the US based CSRs. The defect report was turned into a much more powerful and useful tool. And we have the Fall seller update. So I am seeing some positive change at eBay."

One seller said they didn't want to deal with change as the Holiday selling season ramped up - valid concern many sellers have expressed about changes made during the fall months.

The invitation, sent to sellers on October 1st, said the new hub will make it easier to sell more. "eBay Seller Hub puts all the selling tools you need in one place - with competitive insights, listing guidance, and detailed analytics to help you manage and grow your business."

eBay had long offered Store subscribers access to traffic reports from Omniture, but removed them in the spring, meaning sellers have been flying blind when it comes to analytics. But the new Seller Hub promises to provide detailed sales performance including "page views and buyer traffic to your listings."

eBay is also providing sellers with information about their competitors, and changed its User Agreement to give itself permission to display information about the commercial performance of your listings to other sellers. "See how likely it is that your item will sell compared to other items and get listing recommendations to help you increase sales. You'll also see how your listings compare against similar, previously sold and current listings on details like: Pricing; Item condition; and Shipping cost."

More information about the new Seller Hub is available on the eBay website. Let us know if you think the new hub will be helpful and whether you're opting in for early access.

Perminate Link for Are You Opting In to the New eBay Seller Hub This Month?   Are You Opting In to the New eBay Seller Hub This Month?

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 00:29:25 2015

I'm one of those small sellers who started on eBay for the fun of it. But over the years, as I tried to seriously build my business, I discovered one simple fact: As long as you are selling on someone else's platform, you are totally at their mercy. eBay is no longer fun, they do not back the small seller, they dictate what we can sell and they randomly change the rules on a whim. For all the money eBay has cost me, I've decided to spend a bit more in fees and open my own webstore. Enough is enough. I'm done with people telling me how to run my own business. I believe eBay is in a serious downward spiral and about to implode. When I think of the thousands of hours I've put into listing, shipping, analyzing and trying to keep up with all of eBay's constant changes, only to have them cheat me, I feel like such a fool.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Oct 5 00:33:58 2015

I for one am sick and tired and ebafia telling us how we can "increase" our sales.

"Increased" sales possibly come with the higher price tags of "promoted" listings.

Perhaps Devin Wenig will enlighten us as to how we can increase our sales when ebafia controls

1. The dollar amount were allowed to sell each month

2. The number of items we're allowed to sell each month

3. Limiting the number of items many sellers are "permitted" to list

4. Hiding our listings most of the time.

So ebafia's tools for "increased" sales are really nothing more than tools to help ebafia make more money at OUR expense.

Hot air and lies -- two things that ebafia excels in.

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 01:05:13 2015

Approach with care. Every time Ebay offers to help it ends up costing sellers more money.

Read the terms carefully especially how they plan to "help" with returns and refunds.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 04:31:39 2015

Pricing does not work for used collectibles, antiques, etc. I saw a Hummel figure being sold for $9.99 and took a look. It was glued in three places,but I suppose now Ebay will tell everyone their Hummels are worth $10.
Collectibles, dishes, antiques are unique in the sense of markings and age and rarity. You cannot lump them into new imports pricing, but I am sure Ebay's computer will.
Remember, this summer someone is the UK was told to list their book for one pound as that was the value, even though it was signed by one of the literature giants and was worth 4500 pounds. Buyer who got it for one pound was very happy. Seller lost a fortune.
This is why mass production  and penny pricing should not be used for small sellers on the secondary market. Nor should it be applied to them in any shape, form or matter.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 5 07:04:18 2015

Ming hit the nail on the head. You can not grow your business on eBay so all the shiny new tools are useless to me, so no, I will not be opting in.  All of the other venues that we sell on do not limit us so this is where we are placing most of our efforts these days.

Once again I shake my head regarding where eBay puts its energies. They are always working on something new and something that is not really needed when so many other things need fixing badly--eBay broken SEARCH being #1 on the "needs a fix" list.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 08:18:45 2015

Given feeBay's Hiss Poor track record on tech issues, if your sales are seasonal you'd be a fool to bite off a chunk of RISK by "opting in" to yet another Disruptive Disruption! When they can't get the simple stuff right, confidence level in their "crack IT team" [the one that's ON crack in the Third World He// Hole, that is] is understandably low.

Right now, when you send a "response" to a prospect's Ask-a-Question message, feeBay sends you to an ERROR page right after you hit "send." I reported this "glitch" over a month ago; it still hasn't been fixed. Apparently, your response does get sent, but if you haven't seen this "glitch" before it certainly appears as if your attempt to communicate w/ buyer is busted beyond hope.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 08:44:32 2015

I will be opting off rip off ebay this month. I have had enough. I am closing my final account with these crooks. Been stealing my shipping for too long. That & no traffic , kiss my butt ebay , Im out. You can crawl off & die like the dogs you are. Your site has nothing , including no traffic , no good merchandise. I can find it on amazon , not deadbay. You lose deadbay , you are the scum of ecommerce. Goodbye!

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 09:05:40 2015

Look people , I was looking for a stant gas cap for a 69 ford pickup , ebay - 0  / Amazon - 35. Ebay has nothing worth buying , they suck! They steal , & they lie. warning new buyers & sellers> Run , Run away from Ebay as fast as you can, RUN!

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 09:38:14 2015

@Ming

Yes, I would agree. it's absolutely sickening, that ebay has the nerve, to put in place these so called tools to help sellers, when in fact they control every aspect of your exposure on ebay,

This seller hub is more insulting to sellers then anything else,

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 5 09:51:34 2015

@ Gizmo

Locking or non locking?

Stant 10491, eBay has 105 of them listed. . .

by: redheadedlady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 09:56:34 2015

I read all your comments about ebay especially moonmyst.  I am on ebay and have been selling for over 10 years now.  I also have my own website THAT I have someone write the content for me.  I am not good at key words and phrases.  Well, ebay is actually my bread and butter.  I sell more on ebay than I do anywhere else.  I am on ecrater, bonanza, speeditrade, ebay, my own website, and shopify.  Out of all of these, I sell between 5 & 7 thousand dollars a month.  My products are linked in to several sites.  Ecrater, I have one sale in the past 7 months, bonanza I have had two sales.  Speeditrade, no sales - been on since April - Zero! My own website - some months I sell enough to make the make the monthly hosting fee - some months not!  Ebay wins for me hands down and I will bow to their rules.  I have over 18,000 feedbacks with only 1 neutral - all positive with a 5* rating across the board.  You know people, sometimes you have to work at keeping the people happy which I do.  I put a note in each order asking them to let me know if I have not delivered 5* service.  And, I put in my phone number - with that one, I have had people call me with orders to save me the final value fees on ebay!  I for one am happy and can pay my bills!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 5 10:11:41 2015

@ redheadedlady

You sell on the same eBay I do!

Ebay Pays My Bills ~ Yes, it does. . .

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 10:20:15 2015

Not interested. I don't need a hub to tell me how I'm doing.

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 10:48:15 2015

@redheadedlady

Same here. I've tried many other venues and none of them have even come close to my sales on ebay.

Do I feel restricted on ebay? Yes. Do I dislike (to put it mildly) many of the *rules*? Yes.

But until there's a viable alternative, it's in my best interest to help ebay, and thus my business, thrive.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Mon Oct 5 11:22:56 2015

@redheadedlady
If you spent less time jumping through the myriad of Ebay hoops day in and day out, and more time focusing on your own site, you would have MUCH MORE business there. We use Shopify as well, and you get out of it what you put in. This means finding the right apps, great titles and tags..etc..etc... I know it is hard, and we are also still going through this process, but believe me, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is being EBAY FREE in 2016!!!

by: Rabbitwhite This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 11:36:17 2015

I always wonder why people spend so much time telling everyone how bad eBay is.  If it is so bad just go someplace else and shut up.  I only sell on eBay.  I am a small seller and only sell part time but I make on average $3,000 per month with minimal effort.  I have been top rated for years and I just go along with eBay rules.  I really don't pay a lot of attention to them as they never seem to have any affect on my sales.   Please,,if you dislike it so much leave and quit cluttering up these discussions about your personal selling problems.  Just go away.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 5 11:42:15 2015

I spend a lot of my time telling people how GREAT ebay can be!

That hard to find item can be found on eBay for pennies on the dollar.

With eBay I can be my own boss, make my own hours and take time off as needed.

I LOVE MY JOB

by: Trying-My-Best This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 12:38:04 2015

Rabbit White

Please answer the question -

Are you opting into the new EBay Seller Hub this month?

A simple yes or no is all that's needed.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Mon Oct 5 12:38:34 2015

@Ming

Same here.  I saw the e-mail and decided not to even read it.  Not only does Seller Manager already show all the info that I really need, analytic tools are practically useless to me.

Seriously...

Due to my market and eBay's shenanigans, the only real months that I have are November and December.  It's not a predictable kind of seasonal like, say, snow shovels.  Product data is useless year to year and the sample time is too short for me to react within it.

Then I guess I could look at payment data.  Oh, wait, all of eBay comes through PayPal.  You know, because they just dumped two of the whole four lousy choices offered.  So that's useless.

The only statistic that's even remotely interesting is the percentage of sales from a mobile device.  But even that's probably wrong, because they don't say if/how they differentiate between the app, the mobile site on a phone, the mobile site on a desktop, and the legacy site on a phone.  I'm much smarter than the eBay developers and even I can't detect browser/platform with absolute certainty.

And then there's the dishonesty of eBay.  They have a vested interest in hiding info that makes them look bad.  So you're only going to get what they can spin to look good.  Hooray, you sold 5 items!  Curiously missing will be "out of 180 listed, relisted an average of 9 times, with an average of 1 bid, and sold for 40% of your original asking price."

I too will be scaling back to a regular account after Christmas.  The shame is that I don't have anywhere great to jump ship to yet.  Amazon's always been a trickle, eCrater only just turned its first sale, and I have a lot of work to do replacing defunct Google Checkout code with Stripe or Square on my own site.  May be easier to just do conventions; the "rent" paid online isn't buying much.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 5 13:48:50 2015

Rabbitwhite says "I always wonder why people spend so much time telling everyone how bad eBay is."

Because it is. The noise won't stop. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

1 2 3  [Next Page]