Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Jan 26 2015 21:59:45

Could Amazon Acquire PayPal after Split?

Amazon launched a "mobile wallet" for storing and organizing payment methods this summer. But now come reports the company is killing the project.

The wallet worked for consumers whether they shopped online, via mobile, or in-store - they could also load their physical (and digital) gift cards onto the wallet.

Puget Sound Business Journal said after six months of "lukewarm reviews," Amazon confirmed it was killing the beta test.

"Timing was not in Amazon Wallet's favor - Apple launched the much more inclusive virtual wallet Apple Pay on the iPhone 6 just months after Amazon's launch," it wrote.

In what's a throw-away line but the most intriguing part of the story, the publication speculates on whether Amazon might acquire PayPal after the split with eBay.

Could Amazon be interested in PayPal? Why or why not? And if so, would it start accepting PayPal on its marketplace?

Perminate Link for Could Amazon Acquire PayPal after Split?   Could Amazon Acquire PayPal after Split?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 26 23:23:24 2015

Unless they are buying it .... just to kill it (take its customer base, absorb it into Amazon payments then relaunch or partner with Apple)  .... theres no point in the acquisition!

by: midcenturygallery This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 26 23:41:08 2015

If I owned amazon I may want to acquire Paypal if Donahoe transfers just to make him wear a dunce hat for the Win

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jan 27 00:47:20 2015

I don't know how acquiring PayPal would benefit Amazon. The Amazon BOD must know that eBay is sinking faster than the Titanic. Why would they want to be associated with the disaster that is eBay, and its evil sibling PayPal? I imagine Amazon would want to distance themselves from any company under the eBay umbrella.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jan 27 00:57:00 2015

The idea of Amazon, or indeed anyone else, acquiring "PreyPal" is simply too silly to contemplate ...

Amazon has its own Amazon Payments operation; eBay is on its way down the toilet and taking "PreyPal" with it ...

Regardless, whatever is left of "PreyPal", Apple Pay, MasterPass and Visa Checkout will eventually finish off ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Jan 27 01:03:35 2015

Amazon may well want to acquire PayPal....

Think of all the data they would have access to including being able to access granular details of virtually every eBay transaction!!

With Amazon always looking for trending items that they can put into their inventory, the transaction data from eBay would help Amazon define future product paths and capture trends more quickly than just monitoring their own platform SKU performance. That data would enable them to become more nimble by spotting hot SKU's faster.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 27 06:58:09 2015

I have actually thought that PayPal would be a good acquisition for Google.

Carl Icahn has stated that PayPal should lead a consolidation of the payments industry. (Of course---too many players are good for the consumer.)  Whether this is through acquisitions made by PayPal or a merger between PayPal and another strong player, well who knows.

eBay have given Icahn the option to place his hand-picked candidate on either eBay or PayPal's board when the two companies split later this year.  I'll be very surprised if his candidate does not end up on PayPal's board.

Icahn has far too much influence over these companies.

by: corpuschristi1956 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 08:49:18 2015

I am hoping for Google to purchase eBay because we might actually make money again.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 09:12:47 2015

Do we all really know who owns what? You sure theres not some untold secrets on ownership of companys.? Or stocks being held , to both, by same intity. I no longer shop at deadbay , or amazon. They both suck. They both deserve PP.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 09:21:39 2015

I think if they did, they should change the 6 month policy back to 90 days, the 6 month "rental program " will  sink any company considering pp for payment option
people with problem 90 days is long enough time to know 6 months is just overboard like e bay policies, and I agree that amazon should take over ebay, and then we may consider returning our business to ebay until then no way no how, damage is already done and too excessive

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 09:57:04 2015

90 days is still to long.  If you don't know in 30 days you have a serious problem.
That would be 30 days from delivered date.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 10:50:01 2015

Please, buy PayPal & make it a credible business again!  Or kill it and bring in a FAIR-dealing money transfer service which works internationally!  Currently, I have no free way to transfer funds from my bank in the US to my bank in Canada.  (mind you, there is no income either way as I refuse to play PP's game and pay for 6 month-used underwear returns!  Cheap, knock-off corsets once sold so well for me...)

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Tue Jan 27 12:20:31 2015

The only reason that i can imagine that Jeff Bezo would want to acquire Paypal is limit the Advancement of Jack Ma into the US.

I think Jack Ma would want to buy ebay because it would give him the foot hold into the US.

The ebay name would have to be re-branded & reprogrammed to Alibaba because we small sellers hate the ebay name because of the brutal war we all have been dealt by John Donahoe & his conspirators. We small sellers have all been financially ruined.

Another reason i believe he would buy ebay is because 11MAIN has not been the success that Jack hoped for. It is a bit awkward & product limited.

Yesterday 1/26/15 After seeing the Charlie Rose interview of Jack Ma, I am totally hoping he will buy ebay.

I believe he will support the growth of small sellers in the US.

What a inspiring man. I look forward to doing business with him.

Just a partial clip of that great interview,
es-forrest-gump/

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Tue Jan 27 12:24:59 2015

I bet we see Jack Ma buy both Paypal & Ebay.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 13:13:42 2015

As apple pay turns the screws I have to wonder how much business that will take from paypal. Amazon could be a player but there are sharks in the water, are big banks interested? what about China. I do not care who owns it, I only care about the two cancerous greedy morons Swan and Donahoe sitting on the board who can cause more problems for small business owners.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jan 27 13:23:03 2015

AliBay   Al eBay

GoogleBay

by: tmooreseller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 14:01:06 2015

If Amazon buys PayPal, I won't use PayPal. Period.

It is the only truly reliable payment service on the internet. 76% of shoppers on the internet use it. eBay is already spinning it off its platform. If Amazon buys it, that will be the end of business for me. I will have to rely on another payment service which is less often used and less trusted.

If Amazon buys PayPal, I won't use PayPal. Period.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 14:06:43 2015

I belong to a FB group where many members groan at the thought of Jack Ma buying ebay.  The whole chinese connection thing bothers some members.
I don't share that concern.  JD may be an "american" but he's done so many things to just ruin ebay for so many "americans".
Jack Ma has done a LOT for small sellers.  He's made it clear he wants to attract USA sellers (he already has china locked in with Alibaba).
I think he would do more for small sellers in a DAY than JD ever did.
Jack Ma's a businessman.  He understands ecommerce.  JD NEVER did.
I'm an american small seller and I would WELCOME Jack Ma buying ebay.  Matter of fact, I would CELEBRATE it

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 14:40:05 2015

Amazon would not want to be affiliated with ANYTHING ebay has.

It's a reputation thing- Bezos wants to form his OWN reputation, as he values it.

Do you think he wants spoiled babies making crazy unsubstantiated claims through his payment gateway- I think not.

MH

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Tue Jan 27 15:43:00 2015

@pfft!!
I also saw the interview and believe Jack Ma Alibaba would be a good thing. Total different mindset that The Donahoe gang. I sell on 11 Main and will say this. We are treated a lot better there than ever (or since about 2005) on eBay. Alibaba would never keep the ebay name. It would be Baba. I would gladly go back if Jack Ma bought it. I hope he really gets a great deal because i dont want to see the ebay crimls make any more money. Would much prefer to see them all in jail for their crimes.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Tue Jan 27 15:44:58 2015

Amazon and Google-also very greedy and heartless companies who i would not like to see at the helm.