Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Jan 19 2015 16:06:13

eBay Sells Chairs for OfficeMax

Online sellers may want to take a seat before hearing about eBay's latest marketing email newsletter. In the old days, if you wanted to sell a chair on eBay, you paid a listing fee for an auction or fixed-price listing. When shoppers searched for chairs, your items came up in search results along with everybody else's.

Nowadays, not only is there a "best match" algorithm that tweaks the level of exposure your chair will get depending on a myriad of factors, you also have to deal with eBay's favored sellers.

If you are a big brand or national ("big box") chain store, you can get eBay to increase your exposure, as was the case today with a national office-supply chainstore.

eBay sent an email to users with the subject line, "Up to 40% off supplies for your business."

Inside the email, a header said, "Get down to business - stock up on supplies. Save up to 40% on office supplies and industrial equipment." Under the header was the first section - Office Supplies, with listings for OfficeMax office chairs "Up to 20% off from OfficeMax."

It's not clear exactly how Office Max got the greater exposure to eBay shoppers - perhaps clients of eBay Enterprise get perks such as these boosts in marketing.

Whatever the case, the outcome is the same: big brands and retailers get greater exposure on eBay than smaller merchants and sellers.

Perminate Link for eBay Sells Chairs for OfficeMax   eBay Sells Chairs for OfficeMax

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Mon Jan 19 17:01:45 2015

Must be a subliminal message from ebay to small sellers to "sit out" because we have no sales to hire new employees and then buy a chair for them to sit in.

by: Volvo351 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 19 18:04:58 2015

Any of JD's Pom-Pom Shakers [aka Butt Boys]care to chime in with the usual blather about "level playing field" or how eBay is 'just a venue?'

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 19 18:23:27 2015

That's ok, buyers are smart enough to comparison shop these days, and they will quickly see that this exact chair is discontinued at OfficeMax, and the remaining few that are left can be purchased on Amazon for way less.

ebay created their competition and their becoming stronger everyday, and will soon put them out of business.

As they are doing the same with small sellers of unique and hard to find items, forcing them out, to build venues of their own,   ebay is becoming just another website, nothing special, no big deal, like junk mail.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 19 18:49:04 2015

Was that a $10.00 chair for 29.95 ?  Whats new , ebay plays favs with big box , more of the same. By the way , read YOUR NEW CONTRACT carefully !

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jan 19 21:11:17 2015

So eBay is favouring its major brands and retailers at the expense of everyone else; what's new? ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 19 21:24:43 2015

Sellers have been telling you this for years.
Ebay is now just a HUGE PYRAMID SCHEME for all to see- benefits just the very few at the top at the cost of DECIEVING all the others (us)- a PYRAMID.
See?
Here it is for all to see, any defenders??
MH
I am sure that brand sellers pay nothing to list, we subsidize their listings.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Jan 19 22:46:49 2015

OfficeMax has been bought out and is now Office Depot. Looks to me they are getting rid of old and discontinued stock for whatever they can get for it but starting high. Office desks and especially executive chairs are going the way of the do-do bird.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 20 08:15:47 2015

...YUPPP.  Ebay can go to BIG BOX HELL.

by: redheadedlady This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 20 09:47:37 2015

I am a small potatoes seller.  But, if I had a company such as ebay I would not want the big boxes representing me.  Their negative feedback is autrocious.  I can't understand why ebay wants companies that really don't care about the people.  I care and ship same day or next day.  I follow all ebay rules and still get slapped in the face.  Oh yeah, I have no negative feedbacks whatsoever.
Vera Bradley, for one, has 151 negatives in one month.  They could care less about customers.  Their rating is down to 98.9%.  Sorry that would not fly with me.  Before I buy, I always check feedback and if it is below 99.7% they lose my business.  Shame what the world is coming to.  No one cares anymore.  At least I can walk around and hold my head up high because I don't cheat or scam anyone.  I am an honest seller that just wants to make a decent living!!  Is that asking too much with all these shisters around??

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jan 20 11:16:13 2015

Do Not buy chairs from Office Max and Staples.
So substandard, it's below any ratings scale.
I use old dining room chairs. They're a higher quality.

by: Eric Saeger This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 20 12:02:05 2015

It's going to take a long time before eBay's corporate accounts take a look at their real-world ROI and realize they're paying too much.  This is the result of many, many corporate lunches filled with BS-speak.

I'm absolutely sure that with a little digging, we could find instances of eBay-paid trips to Aruba for middle managers at places like Toys R Us, Kohls, etc., wherein most conversations consisted of buzzword contests.

The scuzzy little breakfast-time Powerpoints are what I'd like to get a hold of: "Behold!  Crush your small-seller competition by leveraging 24/7 visibility world-wide, as little as .004 cents an item!"

The class-action truth is out there.

by: gizmo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 20 14:09:09 2015

Everyone out there should contact ebay , & ask them , " how much do you charge, to get me full exposure on my items , for sale on your site?" How can I buy, best match from you? Can you imagine? Im going to do it. I wonder if theyll quote me a price.

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 20 14:48:21 2015

Somewhere along the line we lost our selves as American entrepreneurs.  This is more unfair, unethical and abusive business practices that are pervasive in most "Enterprise" corporations.  Contact the federal commission at FTC.com and start filing complaints.  I did.  Unfortunately, all the crying in the world is not going to stop this onslaught.  Only the government can put a halt to it.  I shut down Ebay at the end of December and this time it will be a long time coming before I go back to the retail hell they created.  I have joined other small venues to try and sell.

Good-Luck All...

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 20 15:03:55 2015

seriously this has to stop somewhere!!! absurd simple

Ebay cannot get any worse  stealing from the [poor to feed the rich dyslexics) I think they read robin hood from back to front, Unreal people we need to put a stop to this Frankenstein
this is out of control, out of their minds destroying every sellers hard earned businesses!!!!
DO NOT BUY OR SELL ON E BAY

EBAY MEANS
EMPLOYEES BAND ANNIHILATE YOU !!

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Tue Jan 20 19:23:26 2015

''It's not clear exactly how Office Max got the greater exposure to eBay shoppers...''

The ''How'' and ''Why'' is easy.
OfficeMax merged with Office Depot in 2013.
Office Depot is owned by Bain Capital Partners.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jan 20 20:45:07 2015

@Puck,
Bain has an interest in "The Home Depot" Do they also have an interest in "Office Depot"? I've not seen any mention of that ...

by: Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 20 22:25:54 2015

Most of the millions of small sellers who also won't be buying any of these chairs since their Paypal balance is probably $0 by getting less and less exposure. My sales are still doing well except that I only list when I get a promo and the last 1 was not useable, so no sales for me for a month and no chairs either

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Tue Jan 20 23:13:31 2015

They get the elevator and we get the shaft.

by: Leesantiques This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 21 10:21:49 2015

What really gets me is that companies such as OfficeMax, Best Buy, and the other really big sellers get to put their own phone numbers, web site addresses, and real life store addresses right in their listings.  If one of us small sellers did any of that......  :-(

Lee

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Wed Jan 21 20:34:10 2015

@Phillip
''Bain has an interest in ''The Home Depot'' Do they also have an interest in ''Office Depot''? I've not seen any mention of that .''

''2009 - Company [Office Depot] purchased by BC Partners.''