Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 24 2014 19:21:57

Amazon Sellers Stalled by Seller Central Outage

Update 9/25/14 1:00 pm EST: Amazon spokesperson Erik Fairleigh provided us with the following statement today at 12:32 pm EST:

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties regarding the availability of Seller Central and the Seller Forums. Our engineers are working to ensure that normal service is restored. In the meantime, all offer listings and product data services are available via the Marketplace Web Service API. The MWS service is only available if a Sellers MWS account has been linked to Seller Central prior to the outage. New set-ups are unavailable at this time."

The Seller Central portal on Amazon is completely down, preventing sellers from shipping out their orders. We were alerted to the problem by a report on Ecommerce EKG:

"Amazon Seller central is down as of 4:30 PST on 9/24.  Forums, shipping, all not reachable.  Sellers are unable to print shipping or confirm orders."

Sellers are also reporting the problem on IsItDownRightNow. "I was logged in in the middle of my daily FBA shipments and everything went down. forums, everything," wrote one seller.

"I guess my FBA shipment is not going out today," wrote another.

Sellers have also turned to social networking sites including Facebook and Twitter to commiserate. We estimate Seller Central went down at about 7:14 pm EST.

Above: Screenshot from Twitter.

Amazon had technical issues yesterday that impacted shoppers ability to place orders. Consumer-facing outages are uncommon. Are sellers more forgiving or less forgiving when Amazon has problems? Let us know if this impacting you.

Perminate Link for Amazon Sellers Stalled by Seller Central Outage   Amazon Sellers Stalled by Seller Central Outage

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 20:28:30 2014

Does it impact me? Not really in a major way. I have eight boxes to go into FBA that I was starting to process when Seller Central went down -- so they will go a day or two later, no big deal as I'm sure Amz will get it fixed.

Tho, I do have to wonder if the outage might have been caused in some way by them rolling out a bunch of new seller central product screens the last couple of days.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Sep 24 20:34:56 2014

What? Amazon is trying to copy eBay?

by: Josh Brown @ Pricecanopy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 20:48:10 2014

It may not help much, but it's interesting to note that at least some of the backend Amazon APIs (Marketplace Web Services) are still functioning.

by: Joanbet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 20:54:38 2014

Is anyone getting email notices of orders placed?  Just wondering if the outage is causing orders to be held back and they will all come at once when they come back up or if my lack of orders tonight is just that... a lack of orders?

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 21:04:06 2014

Still should be getting order notifications....we are.

by: fashioncents This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 21:33:34 2014

Heck yeah it's impacted me!!!! I didn't realize seller central was down and had started to do some listing.  On my second item, I got an error message, HOWEVER, I received 53 confirmations in my email and even though I only wanted domestic shipping due to the size/weight of the media item, EVERY domestic AND International shipping option was enabled!
Of course I have no way of changing it and I'm not betting on Amazon having my back if it gets ordered and I cancel.
I tried to call the 877 number they suggested for issues and that number isn't active. :(
ANYONE remember when selling on Amazon used to be FUN???

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Wed Sep 24 21:33:50 2014

I am not getting order notifications..

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 21:45:28 2014

I placed order and all went well including confirmation email.  However, cannot list, Seller Central down...for hours.

Gotta believe that the suits in ebay's mahogany row are chortling today ;)

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 21:52:48 2014

(Don't worry JD, your RECORD is still safe for most outtages).
MH

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 22:55:16 2014

Thankful for sites like Down Detector - these too big for their britches sites need to be held accountable when they are fiddling around with coding and servers.

by: Ace This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:07:43 2014

Spoke to seller support at 8pm est, they told me give it TWO hours--its now been 4 and still nothing. Cannot do anything and its affecting our business negatively--will Amazon help?

by: Ace This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:08:47 2014

When was it ever fun!

by: Hobson This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:10:11 2014

Down in the UK again. Most verily quacked with the gayest of gay abandon.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:26:37 2014

They obviously were hacked. Websites don't just go down for hours.....especially big ones like Ebay or Amazon.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:37:23 2014

Lucky I got my orders out and confirmed and it went out an hour later. At 11:30pm central, it seems mostly back up

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:37:52 2014

Or not....seems back down again

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Sep 25 05:48:06 2014

This is NOT an Amazon problem :
Read the blog posts there to get an idea of the scope of the situation.
There is a COUNTRY - WIDE meltdown of the Verizon DSL service. This is an EMERGENCY SITUATION.
The ONLY thing Not affected is Verizon 3G.
This is a Terrorist-Level event.
25% of southern California has been affected along with other western, mid-west states and the Eastern Seaboard.
Media reporting on this is in LOCKDOWN. You will not hear about it anywhere except here :
This map is constantly morphing from bad to really bad and back. We won't be out of the woods for some time Undetermined.
The only other work around might be switching to cable internet or FIOS.
My advice is : have TWO or THREE internet sources at all times : DSL, Cable, and FIOS for uninterrupted service.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Thu Sep 25 07:20:10 2014

It also affected buyers. Here is the link to cnet news article.

by: whipnet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 08:05:59 2014

Alibaba IPO's.  eBay and Amazon start failing.  What better way to get buyers to your platform.  Be the only one that works.

It only take a couple of good hackers, and we are talking about China here.

Just saying....

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 09:04:25 2014

Considering how rarely this happens, I didn't get upset. Since I couldn't list, I went on to other things in my 'to do' pile. Glad to hear though that a decrease in sales isn't just me (not that I want a decrease in sales). A few days ago I was at the highest amount of sales in 30 days ever and then the sales slowed to a trickle after having had a very busy month prior to this. Things happen and since for the most part Amazon functions well I don't sweat it. I awlays have back up work to do. Selling on line I know that the day I run out of things to do means I've closed up shop or am dead. In the 13 years I have sold on line, I've never been caught up so always have found that dead times as just an opportunity to do something else that is needed. And yes I realize that some may have experienced some financial loss from this but my sales are not in the category that I can estimate exactly how much I would have lost due to the outage although apparently others seem to know down to the the dollar.