Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Sept 8 2014 15:02:46

eBay Experiences Shipping Label Outage, Suggests FedEx

Online sellers have been having problems printing shipping labels on eBay and PayPal. Today, a seller reported on the eBay discussion boards that they received the following error message:

"You can't print a USPS shipping label because we're performing maintenance. Please try again after Sep. 8, 2014 11:30:00 AM MST or print a FedEx shipping label."

Another eBay seller wrote, "This is absolutely unbelievable! They are pushing us to be the best we can be for the buyers, yet they are SCR@WING everything up on us TRS's. I'm sitting here trying to do a weekends worth of sales labels, and everything cr@ps out! Why wasn't this maintenance announced? Why do they have to do it on a Monday morning? Why not in the middle of the night?"

Sellers also discussed the issue on another eBay board. Wrote one:

"First message from Paypal said:
You can't print a shipping label because we're performing maintenance. Please try again after 9:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time.

Now it says:
You can't print a shipping label because we're performing maintenance. Please try again after 11:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time."

Readers also reported problems on the Ecommerce EKG board yesterday (Sunday), and today, sellers posted that neither PayPal Multi Order Shipping nor eBay labels were working. "Can't even ship the meager orders I got over the weekend," a seller wrote.

Another seller responded, "its a huge issue, indications are its affecting all of ebay USA."

We've just sent questions to eBay and PayPal about the nature of problem, an ETA on a fix, and what remedy eBay would provide for sellers who can't ship and get defects and risk loss of TRS status.

Last week during eBay's technical meltdown on September 3rd, there were also reports of problems with PayPal shipping labels from a reader who said, "PayPal Multi Order Shipping is SNAFU'd."

Let us know what your experiencing and any workarounds you might discover.

Perminate Link for eBay Experiences Shipping Label Outage, Suggests FedEx   eBay Experiences Shipping Label Outage, Suggests FedEx

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Sep 8 15:33:54 2014

I'll bet that when eBay says ''MAINTENANCE'' what they actually mean is ''EMERGENCY REPAIRS''.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Mon Sep 8 15:39:52 2014

Peak business hours for maintenance. Perfect. Sort of like how Cal Trans doe their road repairs during rush hour.  I just received a 46% discount on an in state Priority label. Just on one though.  I don't recall ever getting that high of a discount.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 15:42:40 2014

ebay  <----  Charter Member of the Glitch-of-the-Day Club.

This just keeps getting better and better.  What in the world is going on with this site??!!  It seems that every single day it is SNAFU in one area or another.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 16:00:02 2014

Fleecebags newest excuse no matter what the day " Maintanence "

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 17:06:59 2014

At risk of appearing childish in what follows, we just found a package shipped via the USPS stated by the John Donahoe & Co site and the USPS to be a 2 day Priority shipped on 9-2 didn't get delivered until 9-7 with the only explanation, one missing in John Donahoe & Co's tracking details but if tracked through the USPS site it read ''ALERT'' stating delivery rescheduled and then delivered.

Stuff happens, we as sellers get a ''DEFECT'' in such an instance, John Donahoe & Co. gets to simply say ''Stuff happens'', deal with it and then takes your TRS, puts you on 21 day Paypal hold or shuts down your account.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Mon Sep 8 18:06:37 2014

Who says it's NOT maintenance time - it just depends on what part of terra firma you are living in.

I can't wait till we colonize Mars....

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Mon Sep 8 18:06:43 2014

Sad state of affairs. We can't even process the few sales we had over the weekend. Also having logging problems with the "New & dandy" Paypal site. I guess "defective" is becoming contagious.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Mon Sep 8 18:34:25 2014

You know, I have been an Ebay member since 1999. When I found Ebay I thought I had died and went to heaven. The early days were wonderful. Everything I ever wanted to buy or collect was at my fingertips. There were a very few hiccups buying but they were far and few between. As primarily a buyer, I am saddened and appalled at Ebay has gone to the dogs. A beautiful concept has been ruined by greedy so called educated people. More like educated idiots. I sold some in the early 2000's but there is NO WAY I would sell now. To many mine fields. I'm so glad I didn't get dependent on making a living there. I've met so many wonderful sellers and I am truly sorry they have been subjucted to such unfair tactics. For the sellers that have had enough, why don't some of you put a note in your packages that you will be moving on to other sites. That is about the only thing Ebay cannot control, a note. If enough sellers would do this, perhaps the buyers would follow. Then kiss Ebay goodbye once and for all. Thanks for reading. My first post.

This user has validated their user name. by: Beanie

Mon Sep 8 18:39:31 2014

Oops sorry for my typos! I was just too excited, LOL!

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Mon Sep 8 18:40:39 2014

Ahh yes, the new PayPal - PayPal for the mobile set - dumbed down. More glitz, less filling.

Sorry Phillip - I kinda liked PayPal & the old non-mobile pages. The only good think coming out of this is you can get more than 20 entries in the history list (I think).

by: renegade-chance This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 20:00:07 2014

Um...did anyone remember that USPS new rates regarding Priority Mail service went into effect yesterday...

...and that the "maintenance" was probably Ebay tech support catching up to sync up the new rates within Ebay to properly charge the correct amounts per the new USPS rates...?

Just sayin' is all...

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Mon Sep 8 20:18:55 2014

@renegade-chance

How many weeks did they have to prepare?

One simple line  of code in the appropriate place:
Is is Sept 08 or later then execute the new shipping rates.

This could have been done at the scheduled maintenance window (usually 2-3AM PST).

And what about all of the USPS changes at the beginning of the years past - there was no problems then.

No - some inept middle management or programmers made a bad decision/choice.

Been through that scenario, done that - got the t-shirt to prove it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Sep 8 20:28:12 2014

whoever or whatever is causing these outages, keep up the good work!

I couldn't print labels today either so I went to the Post Office.

For those who will penalized for ebay's continued incompetence, I'm sorry.

But Wall Street needs to know just how bad it's become and how much money incompetent management is costing shareholders.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Sep 8 20:46:52 2014

Another day, another glitch!

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Mon Sep 8 22:42:02 2014

I didn't have that many to print on ebay thanks to it being so dead there and only there, but I do have stamps.com. No problems there. Maybe when they get someone in charge who knows what they are doing, their site will work too.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 8 22:53:29 2014

I had all sorts of problems with PayPal labels starting with Glitchday last week, but Monday morning, with labels printed via payments through PayPal, or printed via MultiOrder Shipping, which was ten labels total, and not one problem.

by: fancypants This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 23:06:08 2014

Do you really think these are glitches?  I think they are intentional.  eBay is going to make sure us small sellers lose our TRS one way or another.
 Just wish I could figure why they would want to take themselves down with us.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 23:07:31 2014

Looks like eBay just got another defect, on their account. There's always a glish and an excuse for it. Their percentage is way up and  so we need to place limits on them (21 days to delay payment every month until they shape up). After all is only fair that what goes around comes back around ....

by: Go tell the Spartans This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 23:12:14 2014

Although I'm no excusing eBay as they had ample time to prepare, the problem wasn't all their doing. They like a lot of cart users were blind sided by the bland manner USPS chose to describe the changes being made in this price change rollout. This was not just a normal price increase. USPS changed their API interface and recategorized many of their offerings, especially first class. Before, first class was just a single classification, now their are 4. So, unless you updated your classification selection at your side, choosing first class would go to an error. Likewise for small priority mail items, not small flat rate boxes, as those classifications in the USPS API changed as well. It took me 2 hours to figure out why the rates on our cart were all screwed up until I backed into API classifications. eBay supposedly has the best and the brightest, and they were given the procedures well ahead of time.

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 23:13:58 2014

FYI, Stamps.com is completely free for eBay sales.  You can buy a scale on eBay or through Stamps.com, or enter the weight manually.  I'm shipping 10 to 50 packages in a session, and I couldn't imagine doing it with the slow eBay interface anymore.

All orders are downloaded, you pick the order form the list, enter the weight and dimensions if needed, and print.  Tracking is sent to eBay automatically.  I've yet to pay Stamps.com a dime for anything other than the postage, though I'm going to subscribe soon to take advantage of the Amazon and OSCommerce integrations.  (With the free eBay seller's version you can manually enter addresses to ship to non-eBay customers, you just can't import from other sites.)

I can't say they've never had an outage, but it's rare, and in that case I can wait or use eBay as a backup.  At the very least, it makes sense to get setup with Stamps.com's free account so you can use it as a back-up, but once you learn to use it, I think you'll prefer it.

Printer support is different between eBay and Stamps.com though, so if you have a label printer you may need to check.  I started with a Brother QL printer printing from eBay, but once I found Stamps I felt the investment in a Zebra printer was more than worth it.

1 2 3  [Next Page]