Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 28 2014 11:22:16

eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding

eBay's system is mistakenly blocking buyers in the U.S. from purchasing items from U.S. sellers, who reported the problem on Wednesday morning, according to users.

"Buyers are being blocked from bidding or purchasing items on eBay due to a glitch that states "The seller does not ship to your location,"" said an EcommerceBytes reader. "This is happening for US customers on listings where the seller ships to the US.  We spoke with CS this morning and they said it is a major global issue."

In a thread started on the eBay discussion boards on Wednesday, a seller wrote, "I am in New Jersey and a buyer from Texas purchased two fixed priced items and then went to bid on auctions from me and got a message saying she was blocked from doing so because she lives in a country I don't ship to."

Sellers said they are being told it is a known issue with auction listings - and possibly fixed-price listings. One seller speculated eBay's system might be confusing state codes with country codes. EcommerceBytes sent an inquiry to eBay for more information.

eBay has a new outage policy, which it changed without notifying sellers, in which it says it will post about problems on its announcement board, but it has yet to post about the current problem or how it intends to compensate sellers.

Perminate Link for eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding   eBay Glitch Blocks Buyers from Bidding

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Thu Aug 28 11:34:11 2014

There are many more issues like these that will happen. The entire ebay algorithm is broken, need a major overhaul.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Aug 28 12:25:16 2014

Nothing like promoting free auctions in the US and then blocking buyers from bidding. How long has this been going on since sales have been so dismal? Ever wondered why auctions end with no bids or only one bid? Is it affecting only certain sellers? Is it a way to steer buyers into purchasing fixed price or to ebay's preferred sellers?

Add all of this to the rolling blackouts, can't see me cassini search, worst match and ebay's now declared defective sellers.

Who thinks of this as just another "glitch"?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Aug 28 12:37:03 2014

This is very interesting.  I went and looked my Buyer Requirements Activity Log which will show you what buyers have been blocked from bidding or purchasing and for what reason as per your Buyer Requirements you set up for your account in Site Preferences.

On my report I have entries from July 21st of a buyer that tried 4 different times on 3 different BIN listings to purchase but couldn't due to being in a country in which I do not ship.

In looking at that buyer they are in the US.  I just sent them an email to see if I could be of assistance to see to it that they got the product they desired.  Well if it isn't too late.

Since Ebay has been aware of this problem it is something they should have told us about so that we could watch for these problems and take care of the customer promptly.  Instead they leave it for us to find out on our own some 30+ days later.  Bet that buyer is really happy with Ebay.

On this particular problem what Ebay probably is fearful of is by letting us know about the issue it could easily lead to off Ebay transactions since you can't get them done on Ebay.  And who's fault would that be?  Obviously this problem is well over 30 days old and apparently still happening.

Prioritizing has never been a strong attribute of Ebay.  Instead of putting more labor towards fixing this VERY important problem, they screw with dates on FB.  Which of course only makes sense to Ebay.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 12:38:52 2014

It has affected my listings which are all fixed price. I had a neighbor try to buy an item and she was told that I don't ship to her address....How funny. She just walked over and I sold it to her.

Fleecebay is so glitchy they don't know which one to try and fix first.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Aug 28 12:39:58 2014

It worked fine before and now, all of a sudden it is broken. Hmmm... maybe the program needed some fiscal lube, and the gear broke.

So if you ship worldwide are your items up for bid in the United States?

If that is the case, I'd consider this development of a new weapon against the US Only sellers. Didn't they just change the TOS to permit outages?

It is a very hostile environment.
What will make you leave?

by: Donna This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 13:21:53 2014

I also went and checked my Buyer Requirements Activity Log. While I had several blocked for too many unpaid item strikes and another for a country I really don't ship to, there was also one for France which I DO ship to. I checked my country selections and France was not marked as blocked so I don't know why the person was blocked from purchasing a BIN item unless this is part of the current "glitch".

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Aug 28 13:23:52 2014

Marie - your post spurred me to look.

Within the past 2 months I have had 3 legitimate blocks, and two ''country I don't ship to'' blocks from people in the USA.

What I could not find was if those two were in HI - AK, as I am currently not shipping to those states. Wonder if THAT message is given when HI or AK buyers are blocked. Just a guess, not sure.

by: shesnotthere This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 13:26:27 2014

I had this happen twice today. Two US-based buyers tried to place bids on 2 different items on each of my 2 accounts. Both got the error message that they can't bid because they are in countries I don't ship to. For those that are having the same problem, if the buyer contacts you and tells you they can't bid, you can add them to your ''exempt from buyer requirements log'' under site preferences. I just did it and it works. Of course if they don't contact you and you don't know about the problem, you just lose the sale. Thanks eBay.

I have to keep asking the same question...why is there no accountability at eBay? Sellers are held to the highest standards, but eBay can provide poor customer service, a glitchy system that doesn't work, etc. etc. but in their eyes that's okay. Talk about a double standard.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Aug 28 13:27:33 2014

Well that is a good question.  I can answer for myself, I ship to the entire US and territories.  So for me, that should not come in to play.  But I still think it is a good question as this problem may not be just one thing.  It could be multiple reasons.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Aug 28 14:11:23 2014

Researched further the USA sellers with the ''country I don't ship to'' message.
One had a couple things for sale so I was able to pull up a listing and see she lives in Alaska. So - I guess that answers that question somewhat.  I could not find anything on the other USA person that got that message.

I WAS able to buy some business supplies this morning from a long-time source eBay seller. Did not encounter any problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Aug 28 14:58:44 2014

Rejoice! Every one of these eye popping platform failures brings us one day closure to the departure and demise of the most incompetent management team in corporate America.

Message to this every analyst and media outlet you can.

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 15:13:38 2014

Our sales are down to 1/10th of normal today -  the problem I was told was only from customers who use mobile devices to try to purchase, which is 50% of our business on a normal day.   Upcoming holiday also slows sales.  Pretty much sales stopped at 5pm last night....NO SOUP for us today -  whats a few thousand dollars...  I am sure they are trying to fix this one, it effects ebays pocketbook!!!

by: justchangecarriers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 15:16:54 2014

Off topic

But does anyone else have problems with international buyers having a hard time to get a shipping invoice? Since this global shipping program has pissed off the entire international ebay marketplace, buyers have been contacing me about not being able to combine items and request an invoice. Ive figured out the cart system has screwed everything up. I have several buyers getting mad and paying full shipping and then getting mad at me for it. Its not my fault they paid that amount. I told them how much it was going to be. I cant be issuing refunds everyday to international customers for shipping differences. I sell alot internationally. Its a mess right now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Aug 28 15:40:06 2014

Is it WRONG that I find this AMUSING?

(Yes, I do realize that something like this has a hugely negative impact on so many folks who can't afford it.)

But still... it does tickle my funny-bone when I think about how eBay's incompetence is PUT ON DISPLAY on such a LARGE STAGE with a BRIGHT SPOTLIGHT aimed right at it.

In my mind, I keep hearing that little fellow on The Simpsons cartoon show that's always pointing and jeering ''HAAA-HA!''

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Thu Aug 28 15:47:22 2014

I remember in early 2013 that the GSP has a major bug.

We noticed in our listings where the excluded countries list are displayed under the shipping & payments tab that the UNITED STATES was a county that was excluded in our listings.

In all of our listing we found the the United Stated was a county that was excluded.

When examining many of our listings to see if they all had this error we noticed that the UNITED STATES was randomly placed in different locations in that list of excluded Nations.

The random shuffling of the deck made it hard to detect that the United States was in that list of excluded nations because I had to carefully look to the find the United States.

I thought then that it was a hack or and act of employee sabotage.

So with this current problem ebay should check to see if it is originating in the GSP once again.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Aug 28 16:53:27 2014

Annie, you're doing it again; making fun of all the people still selling on eBay. While many are still selling, or trying to sell, on Glitchville, you and I are happily listing and selling elsewhere. Hopefully at some point all small and medium-sized sellers will become totally fed up with all the glitches and unannounced policy changes and find a better place to sell their merchandise.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Aug 28 17:19:05 2014

--- ''Annie, you're doing it again; making fun of all the people still selling on eBay.''

Hi, I<3JS! I think the word that best describes it is ''schadenfreude'' ... but I assure you that it's directed exclusively at eBay and *not* the unfortunate ones who are affected by eBay's incompetence. I truly do have the deepest sympathy for what everyone must be going through.

My sincere apologies if my delight appears to be directed at the rank-and-file sellers. That was not my intention.

~ Annie

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 18:29:18 2014

Bozinga! We have yet another mess.
I feel bad for the sellers with auctions but ebay does not care.
Ebay is showing its incompetence in spades, the lights are on but nobody is home.
This company needs a complete  management change this is ridiculous.
Instead of seller defects and buyer protection programs how about some work on the sales end for the sellers.
I can haer them in the executive offices now saying well every company has glitches, I would say uh well not like you ebay.
Amazon and Etsy seem to going along fairly well and have not even come close to your mess.
Wake up Pierre Omiydar are you not chairman of the board, do the world a favor and clean house.
Ebay has to be losing millions in lost fees from all the fleeing sellers and glitches in the past few years.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 28 18:33:42 2014

I mean I feel bad for the sellers but I find myself laughing at ebay.
Oh wait I just had another off ebay sale gotta go, gotta do my happy dance.
895 sales that used to be ebay's this year so far with no 12 percent final value fees

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Aug 28 18:49:26 2014

Annie - "Making fun of" was probably too harsh. Probably "boasting" would be a better choice. I know you've spent many hours writing advice for eBay sellers about how they can be successful with their own web site. I know you care enormously about the eBay sellers or you wouldn't have taken so much of your time to try to guide people in the right direction.

1 2 3 4 5 6  [Next Page]