Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Aug 12 2014 07:03:19

eBay Seller Release Is Heavy Handed, Minor Relief on Defects

There is plenty to upset eBay sellers in today's Fall Seller Release, but there is also some apparent relief with regard to its new defect policy that goes into effect on August 20th.

The idea that eBay could dictate sellers' terms seemed absurd years ago, especially as it stuck to its "only a venue" argument in legal cases. But with today's pending Seller Release, eBay will require all sellers to follow its Managed Returns process (aka Hassle Free Returns). The only alternative for sellers is not to accept returns at all.

eBay will also automatically add an International Priority Shipping option to all sellers' listings for buyers in 10 countries whose buyers primarily shop on eBay in English, according to eBay: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Singapore, Ireland, South Africa, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, and Mexico. The program does offer an option to "opt out."

Not surprisingly given the unintended consequences arising from the new Defect policy, eBay has had to backtrack on one aspects of the policy. When buyers ask sellers a question after the sale, it is now often considered a defect against the sellers' performance record. eBay said it was adding an option that allows buyers to ask sellers a question or send them a message after the sale without counting against the seller.

See today's Newsflash newsletter for more information about the 2014 Fall Seller Release which eBay will be announcing later today.

Stay tuned for more news and analysis.

Here's the announcement of the eBay Fall Seller Release.

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Release Is Heavy Handed, Minor Relief on Defects   eBay Seller Release Is Heavy Handed, Minor Relief on Defects

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 07:26:43 2014

This is coming form the 2015 holiday season. Hopefully enough time to get away from depending on ebay.

by: ZEAK This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 07:32:47 2014

sales way down, password fiasco search that doesn't work. amazon sales way up, bonanza and ecrater sales way up. ebay is pushing me out at some point ill give in

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 07:35:50 2014

I can tell you without waiting we are NOT doing any of that.

NO GLOBAL ship, NO 90 day returns, NO managed returns.

I guess we will just live without the discounts.

Good luck ebay you just lost ANY control you EVER had over us.

It will be a relief actually to go back to 3 day shipping, and no returns on any item bought for parts.

Those people actually think they OWN our items.

Too funny.

If they want to control my shipping, let them get their lazy butts in our warehouse and SHIP. Until then, we are in control of what goes in, out, and when. Thank Goodness.

This user has validated their user name. by: FIERCEI

Tue Aug 12 07:40:39 2014

All of theses changes and no actually sales.... I'm just counting down until my Annual store subscription is up and I'm done....

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Aug 12 07:42:04 2014

My own ''any reason'' return policy is a very close parallel to eBay's. Main difference is I can't issue a return label to the buyer.

Why have I not gone with eBay's managed returns?  Lack of trust.

I simply have not trusted eBay to NOT mess it up with a ''glitch'' or otherwise.

I am good at customer service. eBay is NOT.

Hmm... If I lose TRS + after all these years (and I will during the 90 day return period) then I may have to consider going back to ''No returns''.

by: woeisme This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 07:51:05 2014

Who pays for the return label? I have a liberal return policy now but I don't pay for the return shipping and I don't refund my shipping costs to the buyer.

by: runner This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 07:58:56 2014

USPS does not immediately update when you print a label not does it immediately update an acceptance scan so how does this 1 hour come into play?  Many times the tracking is not in the system when I drop my item off.  I can see ebay refunding a buyer and sellers having to run to the PO to get their items back because ebafia has refunded the buyer.  Better get on my running shoes.

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 08:29:29 2014

So, do we honestly think that eBay is going to apply the managed returns process to ALL sellers including Toys-R-Us, Macys, etc.? NOT!

We certainly will not have eBay's team of incompetents handling our returns and the ''Venue'' claim goes straight out the window with that one.

For those of you wondering, yes, you absolutely will be paying the shipping on every eBay managed return no matter the reason for the return!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 08:33:19 2014

As usual its another ONE SIDED Seller Update, no surprise here at all.

Sales on eBay are SO BAD that eBay is offering 50 dollar coupons to sellers to get them to list more items, in the vain hope that someone somewhere will actually buy something.

eBay is also so desperate for sales that they are ramping up the cash dispensing DEALS OF THE DAY BS.

They are feeding those"deals" to all the deals websites to get them to push customers to eBay (google not working there boys? MAYBE you shouldnt have violated their rules).

eBay is also dispensing more cash to specific dealers to create these deals - you can figure out who the beloveds are by looking where the links in those deals take you.

GS is not a pain for me - in fact its almost fun. All I do is ship to KY (no theres a laugh - eBay screws you in/with KY) and watch the dominoes fall.

If it gets delivered then I have a happy customer, and if its fraud (like 30% of them are), eBay and Paypal eat the loss and I get made whole.

I know eBay pushes GS for the monetary benefits - not cause it increases global trade (they dont know what that is), not cause it helps me as a seller, and not cause JD wants the world to be a better place - no its like everything else on eBay - a scam to make JD money.

Getting to returns ..... eBay only only only knows one "shtick". When you dont know what to do, go the "it must be the bad sellers game". Sales (as mentioned above - stink) ... so what do you do? You go back to that old familiar playbook.

"Sales would be better if customers felt they could return the stuff they bought" ... so lets force it on the sellers and still SWEAR that they are only a venue.

BTW - when this seller update comes out, I WILL be sending it to the court in France - the one where eBay just lost yet STILL claimed they have nothing to do with listing things.

This proof of having total control of accounts and their zeal to have the Chinese knock off old goods for sale on eBay (piracy) should interest the French courts quite a bit.

Im not paying for any return labels and ALL my listings will have a 25 percent or more restocking fee - I WONT be eBays B_TCH and eat losses "just cause uncle jimmy doesnt want his item any more".

by: Ephemera Dealer This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:05:23 2014

I can see my days at eBay are numbered. 90 day return periods, forced returns, loss of TRS.

Been selling there since 1998. Once my annual store period is over, I'm gone. And I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Fools...

by: Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:07:10 2014

I used to have a store with over 6,000 items.  This was 5 years ago.  And then ebay's store fees began exploding higher so I downsized greatly to about 2,000; selling the other 4,000 in bulk on Craigslist.

Then I closed the store and only would do free listings when I get the special. Then as policies worsened and this defect rate and other negative policies came into effect, I sold 1,600 more in bulk on Craigslist.

Now I'm down to about 300 items which I only run on free promo's which I get about every 3 weeks. And each month I might add 20 new items. I used to add 500+/month. My feedbacks are all positives the past 8 years and dsr's are all 4.9 or 5.0. Yet I sell less and less due to horrible selling policies. Those who run ebay might be driving away more of the hard working honest sellers who buyers like, than the bad sellers who are dishonest and cheat

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:08:39 2014

We will be returning to our No Returns policy. We will NOT be shipping antique furniture (which is not surprisingly rather expensive) and then PAY to ship it back to ourselves cuz the mahogany was reddder in the pictures. F--- That!

Frankly, our sales suck so bad that we have been seriously considering ending our 15+ years selling on Ebay. Etsy has blown away our Ebay sales for quite some time with much, much lower fees and stress!

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:10:32 2014

Mandatory Managed Returns? FUGGETABOUT EBAY!  No 'coupon' is going to get me to risk everything with this one-sided seller-screwing policy!

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:14:06 2014

Oh and feel free to opt us into international shipping! Surely Ebay can figure out, with all that ecommerce wisdom they possess, how to ship an antique wardrobe to an international buyer! Good luck with that!

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:23:26 2014

I was under the impression that if the buyer pulled a SNAD the return was going through regardless of the no return policy..

Will  they go to paypal for the money back.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:34:09 2014

I haven't sold on ebay for years now, but just seeing the new rules is dumbfounding! Am I reading them right? If a seller 'asks a question' following a sale if you DON'T ask for ebays help to answer whatever comment the buyer sent you, such as them asking if you have three more of the items, or whatever the question is, you get a defect. If someone returns something and you don't ask for ebays help they automatically send the buyer a return label? What if you and the buyer solved the problem? Are you supposed to keep in contact with ebay and both you and seller swear that the 'problem' is resolved? It looked to me like in every instance you are supposed to ask and receives ebays guidance on the matter whether you need it or not. I don't get that at all. That is so off base from the 'just a venue' that ebay still technically is. The product isn't theirs yet they still want to set all the rules, receive all the money and have you pay for all the buyer and ebay mistakes.

It makes NO sense at all. If I was new coming to ebay and saw all those nonsensical rules, I would turn around and leave. What I really don't understand is why so many of you stay there, especially those admitting to higher and better sales elsewhere. Enough already. Time for you to do what all wise consumers do. Complain with your feet. Walk on out of there and go elsewhere. Surely it isn't worth the ulcers.

by: Deltamaster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:36:07 2014

@woeisme

You ask who pays for return shipping.

If the buyer chooses a reason that would be considered SNAD then ultimately eBay charges the cost of the label back to the seller in the seller's fees invoice, so it would be the seller.

When eBay first introduced Managed Returns it was optional and I made comments on the boards and here that it would not be long before eBay made it mandatory.  MANY sellers said I was wrong and that eBay would not/could not force sellers to use Managed Returns.

Looks like my predictions have become reality.

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:38:13 2014

Something is VERY wrong with Ebay this morning (8/12/14). Ebay is not loading on any off my browers. Google search find many in USA with same problem today. Please what is up?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:45:12 2014

This whole "You can still have a NO RETURN POLICY!"  uttered in no doubt some Perky Young Things voice--NO;  NO YOU CAN'T.

And you never EVER could actually ENFORCE a NO RETURNS policy.

Oh you can SAY "No Returns"  but even when you have this in large friendly letters on your listing --OR when you check the NO RETURNS FOR THIS ITEM box--ebays OWN checkpoint for NO RETURNS--you can STILL be forced to accept a return for quite a long time after the sale.

So--this is once again as we ALL know---ebays bizarro world way of saying--F**K YOU SELLER SCUM!

And I am pretty sure that few are going to "Opt In"  to that PRIORITY overseas GS BS either.

I'm just a lil' ol' ray o' sunshine this fine day ain't I.

by: Ron This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 12 09:52:26 2014

It seems that one has 3 options on eBay since Donahoe's program of disruption:

1. Offer an item at market price and don't sell it
2. Offer an item by auction and sell it at 1/3 or less of its value
and now, a third option:
3.  Rent the item to a "buyer" for 90 days for 0 dollars.

It's really easy for eBay to entice buyers with promises regarding items that aren't theirs.  Why they think that this is going to fly with sellers, it's beyond me.  eBay management is woeful in its ineptitude.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  [Next Page]