Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue July 29 2014 10:50:40

eBay Penalizes Sellers for Late Deliveries

eBay is advising buyers who receive their orders "late" to open cases against sellers, which will result in defects against the sellers. This came as a surprise to sellers who read about the practice in EcommerceBytes this week, since eBay had led sellers to believe they would only receive a defect for late deliveries if a buyer left them a DSR score of 1 for shipping time. eBay has never previously considered late delivery as an "Item Not as Described."

It's especially surprising given that late shipments are often due to factors outside of sellers' control - even Amazon couldn't get shipping carriers to get all of their orders to shoppers in time for Christmas during the 2013 holiday shopping season.

Many sellers also say eBay displays unrealistic "estimated delivery" dates, especially around the holidays.

The practice is not conjecture or the opinion of a few eBay employees - a seller pointed us to the eBay Money Back Guarantee where eBay sends dissatisfied buyers. Here's what it states:

I have received my item but it arrived late

If an item was shipped much later than promised, eBay considers it "not as described". Contact the seller via My eBay and select item not as described. We will track the resolution and help if you ask us to step in.

It's also troubling since there are many reports that sellers are unable to get eBay to remove defects on their accounts for situations where defects were not warranted. There are some rumors that eBay will make new tools available to help customer service reps deal with claims disputes - but only after the new defect policy goes into effect on August 20th.

On page two of this thread discussing the new defect system, one seller offered some interesting advice on dealing with eBay customer service reps (message #36).

"First the word "descore" and "remove the defect" send the reps into a endless loop of "we can't help you, there is nothing I can do, etc"...  If it's a case say CASE, if it's feedback say feedback, if it's tracking say tracking... the rest confuse the reps and can get them in a "stupid" loop of "we aren't going to help you".

"IF what the buyer is complaining about is listed in your title, condition, or the item specs then yes call in point that out, and get the case closed in your favor... If there is the slightest doubt come to the boards before you do anything. CSR's will lie to you... we won't. (well at least most of us won't)"

She then went on to offer four tips on contacting eBay customer service regarding cases. Among the advice: be prepared when you call, keep it short and simple, stay calm, and if you are on hold for a long time or get passed around to several other reps, hang up and call back.

Interestingly eBay appears to be censoring sellers who discuss the issue of counting late deliveries as Item Not as Described defects - a reader said eBay moderators deleted this thread where sellers were discussing the issue.

Perminate Link for eBay Penalizes Sellers for Late Deliveries   eBay Penalizes Sellers for Late Deliveries

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 11:18:02 2014

....and ebay wants us to fill out surveys as to why we don't list with them anymore, and where we list now, etc?  This is madness of the highest degree!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jul 29 11:58:10 2014

I think the entirety of eBay higher ups have gone insane. That's the only rational explanation for how anyone would think that something that arrived "late" (pursuant to eBay's unreasonable time frame) could ever be "not as described." So eBay "describes" the delivery date is two days after I purchase a BIN item, and when the item arrives three days after purchase, that makes it "not as described"? Someone please remind me why anyone is still selling on this "only a venue."

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 12:09:18 2014

It's hard to believe current ebay sellers are willing to tolerate such rubbish. I'm sure the added stress is not good for sellers health.

Many sellers are growing their business's elsewhere and doing so without such ridiculous interference as described above.

Once we left ebay, 99.9% of the problems stopped and the few that remained are dealt with fairly at minimum cost and loss of time.

As once said by dirty Harry- ''A mans got to know his limitations''.

Free yourselves from the bondage of ebay.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 12:48:57 2014

August 20 is the end for me.  I have had enough, and will make my statement then.  Ebay has become a sham, a scam, and a parasite.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 29 13:04:14 2014

Any company that wages war on their sellers as eBay do deserve to go out of business.

There is something terribly wrong with the management of this company. Someone call in a team of psychiatrists from Vienna.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jul 29 13:24:37 2014

LOL Patricia - That was exactly my thought when I saw this. The survey is still sitting in my email box.

What a fluster-cluck!

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Tue Jul 29 13:42:58 2014

Clarification please ???? Received much later than promised or shipped much later than promised ????

I perceive shipped much later than promised as seller states 1 business day handling time but ships it out 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 days later than the 1 business day handling time. If that is what they are getting at then I understand.

Now if they are meaning if we sellers ship it out on time then it arrives late from something outside of our control, then this it TOTAL BULLSH*T !!!!

And no way to descore it ?

eBay TRULY hates its sellers if they mean the latter or my above paragraph !

JD made his money, Pierre his, neither need this site, it could close down anytime and they are set.

After the abuse of JD since 2008 this is unreal, Karma would haunt me forever if I did to people unfairly what JD has done with his brutal unfair to seller policy's

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 29 13:54:06 2014

"Karma would haunt me forever if I did to people unfairly what JD has done with his brutal unfair to seller policy's"

Sociopaths don't have a conscience.  There have been those who have implied that he is.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 14:07:57 2014

Yep our 5 business days shipping looks better and better each day. But of course you can't be a carrot jumper and do the 5 day thing.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jul 29 14:10:28 2014

@LDS Brother - eBay appears to be saying two different things. The 'question' reads: "I have received my item but it arrived late," but the 'answer' is "If an item was shipped much later than promised...." To me that's two different issues: (a) the package took longer than expected to arrive; and (b) the package was shipped subsequent to what the seller stated was his/her shipping time. I wouldn't be surprised if sBay purposely made this policy ambiguous to get rid of more "noise."

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jul 29 14:41:44 2014

Sellers set handling times.

Who is it that sets shipping times on ebay?

It's ebay. Therefore, ebay is responsible if a package is "late."

But of course ebay assumes responsibility for absolutely nothing.

I HATE these sociopaths with the heat of a thousand white hot suns.

May they all rot in hell for eternity.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue Jul 29 14:55:45 2014

So, buyers should only open a case for a late package if it is shipped late? How about if the PO sends it to the wrong city or COUNTRY before they reroute it to the correct destination and it's a week ir more late?  Obviously,m that's the seller's fault too.  DEFECT.

They are broadening the meaning of ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED to the entire transaction.  This redundancy seems to be intentional to stimulate more open cases to lower the amount of TRSs.

Fine. If they want less TRSs,  they should just make it harder, not enact idiotic policies.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lander Blue

Tue Jul 29 16:53:26 2014

''Contact the seller via My eBay and select item not as described. We will track the resolution and help if you ask us to step in''

What kind of ''resolution'' would the buyer - or ebay - be expecting at this point? Partial refund?

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Tue Jul 29 17:57:35 2014

After 8 years of successful selling on ebay, 4 neg feedbacks, 99.9% rating, etc, etc, we are now labeled as defective sellers. Yup, just filled out their survey... First question: Would you recommend ebay to a friend or colleague? etc. etc. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha.....

No possible way we can continue selling on ebay with these changes. In fact this will be the proverbial final nail in the coffin for a lot of sellers (Who also happen to be buyers)

What do you do when your "Business partner" intentionally tries to destroy your business? you terminate the partnership.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 18:17:56 2014

My confidential source- Former Ebay Insider- tells me that there are some interesting things around the corner. I will leave at that for now.

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 20:48:05 2014

I already have been dinged because of the tracking. I have patterns that only cost $1.20 to ship and I do with stamps, but I guess that ebay wants us to charge $2.50 so that we can have tracking on each package. My feedback on these patterns have mention how fast they get them. I thought I was being good in keeping my shipping low. Good Bye Top Seller

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Jul 29 21:11:29 2014

Ok, Netwatch, I'll bite.

Are these thes good interesting things or more of the same interesting things only if the observer is a sadistic sociopath?

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 21:20:47 2014

Netwatch - what your insider said about ebay reminds me of the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times"
It's not like ebay hasn't been "interesting" since it went public.

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 21:21:47 2014

I hate to use the term but this sounds like ebay's FINAL SOLUTION for small sellers.

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 21:40:11 2014

I'm not sure I get it, the word ''surprising'' is used a couple of times or so and then ''interestingly''. There's not a thing surprising or interesting.

AgendaSwallowsAll