Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed July 23 2014 10:57:54

New Seller Dashboard as eBay Defect Rates Loom

One month before eBay institutes a new way of measuring sellers' performance, it has rolled out a new dashboard, and it's bringing with it some unwelcome surprises.

An EcommerceBytes reader said he saw many new categories in the Trending Data popout.  "Seeing those "new" categories, I checked some of them, and don't agree with the numbers I see (big surprise, eh?). So, I wanted to run my "Defect Report" that has been available since about May. Surprise! It's gone! Without that report, how can they say the DSR's are not anonymous?"

Above: New dashboard (some columns removed to protect buyer privacy).

Previously the widely-detested Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs) along with feedback percentages were the heart of eBay's Feedback system (Feedback 2.0). Now with what might be termed Feedback 3.0, eBay is introducing the Defect Rate.

The defect rate is the percentage of a seller's successful transactions that have one or more of the following "defects":

- DSR of 1, 2 or 3 for Item not as Described;

- Opened case for an Item not as Described;

- Return for Item not as Described;

- DSR of 1 for Shipping Time;

- Opened case for an Item not Received;

- Negative or neutral feedback;

- Seller-cancelled transactions.

Starting with the August 20 evaluation, to meet eBay's minimum standard, sellers can have up to a maximum 5% of transactions with one or more transaction defects over the most recent evaluation period. A maximum 2% will allow a seller to qualify as an eBay Top Rated Seller. Only transactions with US buyers count.

Another seller who saw the new seller dashboard told EcommerceBytes, "I'm not that fond of it, but it works. The older one was far easier to read. This one is fancier, more graphics, less meat."

But she too found a surprise - different tracking ratings than the old report had shown for her account. The three metrics shown are as follows:

- Tracking Uploaded

- Tracking uploaded within handling time

- Tracking uploaded & validated by carrier

"One of the new requirements if validated tracking within our stated handling time. For the past few months it has been showing up fine, a little lower than it should be in my opinion, but well within the requirements."

Now she's seeing a huge drop from the old version of the dashboard, "when we just had the pop up screen showing us defects and the such. Somewhere along the line I lost about 5% in the validated tracking. I have no clue where it suddenly went."

Other sellers discussing the issue in this eBay discussion board thread agreed that the tracking did not reflect their true performance, and another seller weighed in about changing performance metrics on the new dashboard.

Buyers were also treated to an unwelcome surprise. According to a discussion on the eBay boards, eBay is displaying a "performance" rating on buyers' accounts.

Sellers were even discussing it on Reddit, saying many sellers were going from "above standard" to "below standard."

UPDATE 7/23/14: See comments below, eBay just sent out a mailing about the new seller dashboard, here's a link to a video that shows how to access the reports.

Perminate Link for New Seller Dashboard as eBay Defect Rates Loom   New Seller Dashboard as eBay Defect Rates Loom

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 23 12:42:32 2014

You know, from what I have seen as of late (despite what analysts report), eBay marketplaces need to hang on to every seller that they have.  Apparently the empty suits at eBay still think that they continue to purge their fee paying customers.

The "noise" will outlast Donahoe.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 23 13:24:31 2014

I havent waited for the new Ebay toy. I've quit Ebay some 3 months ago. The day I closed my Ebayshop I closed it with the intention to reopen it by the end of the summer.

In the meantime we're 3 months further and I no longer need Ebay. I can now spend all of my attention to my own website. While Ebaysales decreased and continued to decrease until it was no longer worth the effort, on our own website it's the complete opposite.

So we've quit ebay and we're not going back. Less sales but about the same profits. And most important: NO STRESS, no DSR, no stupid rules.

I'm back my own boss and can run my business the way I want it.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 23 13:25:34 2014

I did manage to find where the defect report "disappeared" to.

In one of Ina's links in the story, one of the posters on the forums said the green check-marks are "links".  Well, they're not actually links, but if you hover over the box you want, it automatically "gray-shades) and then click it, it opens up more details pertaining to that particular section.  Clicking on the box telling about how many transactions had defects, close to the bottom (in the small letters we're supposed to overlook), there is the link to get the defect report.  Most of the other "links" in the expanded details only open a box to "explain" that phrase.

Nice that they chose to almost hide this, just like they do with so many things.

Now that I have the report, I can find out which auctions had problems, and see if the percentages I'm seeing in the Dashboard are for one auction (which is not supposed to be allowed - only one defect per transaction), or if they generate from separate auctions.

Thanks for posting this, Ina.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Jul 23 13:33:04 2014

Julia wrote to say she just received an email from eBay with this link.

s/

and
a link to a youtube video about the new dashboard:

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jul 23 15:17:57 2014

This piece of ebafia fiction is just that. FICTION!

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "improving customer experiences."

It has everything to do with generating more revenue for the San Jose Mafia.

Most business on or offline would be and indeed are delighted with a 95% service level.

But ebafia imposes an unreasonably and artificially high service level requirements and ridiculous 90 day holiday returns to eliminate more small businesses from their 'designer mall.

Ebafia ILLEGALLY makes these requirements retroactive to  periods of time when completely different standards were in effect.

Finally ebafia illegally LIES to buyers by not disclosing they're filing 'defect' cases against sellers until after they've done it.

This is a rogue marketplace run by tieless criminals that demands complete transparency and integrity from its sellers while lying to and stealing from its customers.

We should have a necktie party for these poorly dressed billionaires.

Is there ONE honest man, woman, or teenager working for ebay?

One?

Come forward and tell Ina what you know.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 23 16:39:07 2014

Well, 5 hours after Ina published this story, I got what appears to be the same email Julia got.

The YouTube video on the dashboard is stuck in my mind, as I think I saw the same eBay ''face'' hawking the dashboard when they ''updated'' it a few months ago.

However, the video clearly does show and highlight the link to get the defect report.

@Ming - Please tell us you're not holding your breath waiting for that one person...

by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 23 23:49:17 2014

I just viewed the video and frankly, it's kind of creepy when the talking head doesn't even face the camera head on.

I've been viewing this new dashboard for months and the one "defect" I have in seller feedback came out of the blue as I have 100% 5 stars on the "other" feedback system, in all categories.  I was unable to run any sort of report that would let me know about this single defect ostensibly because it occurred anytime up to one year ago, according to the dates under that line in the new dashboard.

Sigh....not even sure it's worth a phone call to find out where it came from.

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 00:02:21 2014

Does any of this really surprise current ebay sellers?

What more can anyone expect other than this sort of treatment?

August 20th is coming soon... for those who continue to use ebay as their main source of sales, will ebay have your back or will you be labeled as defective?

Lets see what happens now.

by: goldtc This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 00:50:19 2014

I too had questions about the new seller dashboard. The shipping and upload information seemed completely out of ''balance.''  I state that my items will ship within 2 business days of cleared payment.''  Even though, that's my policy, that's  really to cover me in case of a delay. I ALWAYS ship either same day or the day after the payment cleared.

So, I called eBay. I was informed that the dashboard still has ''bugs'' that are being worked on, and will be cleared by it's ''real'' roll-out on Aug 20th.  In addition, nothing can really be changed or updated until the Aug 20th date (as in correcting incorrect info because the dashboard is basically in a beta version until Aug 20).  So, I'm not going to ''freak'' about anything until Aug 20.

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 02:46:21 2014

I looked at the Dashboard and found that our on-time shipping rate had plunged. eBay said that uploading tracking was no longer enough; the item also had to ship within the handling period.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Jul 24 07:23:08 2014

The projected defect rate for the current month is inaccurate because eBay treats new orders as ''failure to upload tracking''. In effect, eBay assumes that tracking will never be uploaded for items pending shipment in tracking reports. Failure to provide accurate and complete reporting information suggests that eBay software developers don't understand ecommerce or are just incompetent. Unfulfilled orders should not be included in the dashboard summary.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 07:32:08 2014

I have pretty much had it with ebay.

My defect rate and validated scans just exceeded TRS allowable standards overnite.  I have watched the metrics everyday....and then poof....Im screwed.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE!

Ebay LIES
Ebay STEALS
Ebay CHEATS
Ebay has lost my RESPECT.

On August 20th at 12 noon,.....they lose all MY BUSINESS.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Jul 24 07:53:43 2014

I got the email but have not gone there yet. I have to be in the right frame of mind for blood pressure to sky rocket.

I don't watch my dashboard very diligently. If I did I would probably need anger-management therapy and Mr. Basset would take to wearing ear plugs around me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jul 24 08:33:22 2014

Basset says "I don't watch my dashboard very diligently."

Neither do I.  What will be will be.  I give the best service possible and that is all that I can do.

Currently I'm in great standing, but I know that the winds of eBay change and some bad blowhard buyers could hit my dashboard like a tornadic supercell.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 11:07:46 2014

Another ebay useless, not needed, programming change to make things even more broken.

This is what happens to popular companies that make a lot of money, no mater what they do wrong, they can manage to stay in business, it's going to take quite a bit more before we see the end of ebay, but bit by bit, one customer at a time, these guys are going down for sure, the writing is on the wall,

by: MovinOn This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 12:03:51 2014

I haven't even looked at mine. It doesn't matter. Just like rhawk wrote above, on Aug. 20, I will cancel my final listings on ebay. While I have disliked the changes ebay has made in recent years, this year's changes are the straw that broke this camel's back. When ebay blames and derides the seller for everything from shipping delays (even though shipped on time) to buyers asking where their package is after it has been delivered, returns for any reason including buyer using a new item and not wanting it any more, and buyers removing the parts they need and returning an item as not working, I'm finished. Ebay has sunk to such lows that I will no longer sell there. I'm MovinOn.

by: MovinOn This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 12:06:57 2014

I would guess the ebay programmers in India are getting a big pat on the back (along with their $2.00 per hour salaries) for hiding even more information from sellers and implementing the new rules to increase the defect rates of all sellers.

What will JD do when the last of the sellers have been extinguished from ebay? Retire?

This user has validated their user name. by: Island_Sam

Thu Jul 24 13:53:11 2014

>>>8 years on ebay as a power seller, top rated, 6 figure annual sales. We had a bad feeling about this Aug implementation. Sure enough, we were right. We finally achieved "Above Standard"...Woohoo! After 8 years of "Top Rated" status, ebay finally found a way to knock us down to a lower standard!

BUT, we made plans ahead of time, we started shifting our business model to other platforms. ebay is just not seller friendly anymore. Woe unto them because ALL sellers are also buyers...Needless to say, we are now achieving 90% of our total sales from other platforms.

We are currently evaluating if ebay still fits in to our future plans. At this point it does not look good for ebay. As a seller, one can only take so much punishment. We used to own franchise units & other businesses, we are well versed in these types of relationships. Ebay is systematically destroying their seller base. I caution everyone, tough times ahead for the great majority of sellers on ebay. Start planning your exit strategy.

Not the end of the world, but ebay???

by: DJBrady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 14:16:44 2014

Most of our defects are from item not received from international shipments that were eventually received or from item not as described which were either questions about the item or settled without disputes because they were exactly as described. This is sort of like getting a report card in high school saying you missed class on 10 Saturdays even though there's no school on Saturdays...

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 16:39:41 2014