Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed July 16 2014 11:32:22

PayPal Launches Loyalty Program for Top Customers

PayPal launched a new program called PayPal Select for its top customers. It provides members of the program with two benefits to start: "first-in-line customer service," and special coupons for retailers with whom PayPal has a special relationship. These include Target, Wayfair, Overstock, PacSun.com, Footlocker, and FinishLine.com.

One current offer, for example, is $10 off a $50 purchase at Target when you pay with PayPal.

PayPal said members receive special access to customer service: "Each time you call, you'll jump to the front of the line for faster service."

Here's the letter an EcommerceBytes reader forwarded:

Congratulations,
You're one of the first members of PayPal Select. Only available to our top customers, it gives you special offers at some of the world's most popular retailers, as well as front-of-line customer service. Plus, we're adding more benefits all the time.

The PayPal Select Program is only available for invited participants, eligible participants are automatically enrolled in the Program. Additional terms will apply as the Program develops and new benefits are added. PayPal reserves the right to modify at its sole discretion, any Program terms. Program offers and benefits are non-transferable and are only intended for Program participants. PayPal shall not be deemed liable for any losses, claims or damages of any kind, resulting from the Program.

According to the site, the reader was told, "As a result of your frequent account activity and excellent history as a valued customer, you are automatically recognized as one of our first PayPal Select members. No additional action is required on your part."

Perminate Link for PayPal Launches Loyalty Program for Top Customers   PayPal Launches Loyalty Program for Top Customers

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Jul 16 11:56:27 2014

A couple thoughts:

Is this for the Sotheby's crowd?

'First in line customer service' - so.... do the rest get ''Peggy''.

After a few rounds with ''Peggy'' or a lengthy wait while the ''special'' people get helped at the front of the line, will the ''average'' user want to use PayPal when given a choice?

Of course,  ''average'' = ''defective'' in the new eBay speak.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jul 16 12:08:49 2014

The Donahoe reign continues.  Special everything for those whom he deems worthy.

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 16 12:17:56 2014

Sorry, I dislike spending money with any company associated with Ebay. Until Ebay starts treating sellers fairly and stops enabling mail fraud. Granted Paypal got better....but Ebay totally betrayed their sellers with a flood of Chinese merch and all the new oppressive rules. F*ck Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jul 16 14:06:07 2014

Basset asks: "First in line customer service' - so.... do the rest get ''Peggy''. "

No, everyone gets a Peggy, PayPal Select members just get Peggy before everyone else.... LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jul 16 21:02:18 2014

I got an e-mail saying I was included in their Select program and was one of their first members. Wow, what an honor. Not! I only want to be included in the group that doesn't have to deal with the horrible new format on their site.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 16 21:57:05 2014

...... wheres EBAY in that list? Are eBay customers/sellers the "red headed step children AGAIN"?

More importantly, are eBay users forever condemned to D- customer service?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jul 16 22:26:14 2014

@pace - It says in the statement: "[S]pecial coupons for retailers with whom PayPal has a special relationship." It sounds like they are really pushing their desire that we all pay with PayPal at B&Ms.

by: gadget This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 16 23:26:45 2014

Judging by the reality of what it means - being subjected to third party marketing - I'm fine with not being part of this 'select group.'

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 16 23:40:46 2014

'' I only want to be included in the group that doesn't have to deal with the horrible new format on their site.   ''

It's AWFUL!  You can't find anything.  Track a shipment takes you to usps.com but does not include the tracking number!  Click on classic site takes you to some mutation of the classic site with multiple parts missing.  I feel like I'm at an intersection where in every direction there is a ''Dead End'' sign.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 07:34:40 2014

If I don't believe what is coming out of the mouths for ebay, why would I want anything to do with Paypal. One in the same run by the same.????

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 08:48:34 2014

Some ''Wonder Woman'' comments -

I wonder - Does anybody know a way to ''unenroll'' ? at least, thank heaven it appears one has to re-enroll after a year so maybe there will be an automatic out at least at that time.

I got the same email and also wondered if it was phishing.

Wonder if PP has some deal with the companies they state, to deliver a herd of new customers ? Wonder what kind of  compensation is made to PP when someone in the ''Wondergroup'' makes a purchase?

I deliberately AVOID using PP for any personal purchases. I get actual $$ credit back from my CC and they have been right there on the front line and intervened successfully with two very nasty companies when I had problems with purchases that were never ordered.

My loyalty is to Jimmy Dimon! Somehow I find it impossible to imagine Peggy being able to help me when I get billed for a subscription I never ordered !!

Even worse for me, PP does not separate business purchases from personal, at least not in a way I can figure out. It's ''accounts payable'' and ''accounts receivable'' only. With them reporting to the IRS why in the world do I want to mix up business with personal??

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Thu Jul 17 09:19:44 2014

I called Paypal last week to see what their ''ceiling'' was on purchases made by me. With the recent EBay hack I was concerned that if PP was hacked my bank account was so tied into it that there might be some risk.  I was told that the limit was $10,000 but not to worry as in the event of a hack or illegal use I would be covered. I said ''what if someone breaks into my house and purchases a 9000.00 ring on my account and I dont know about it, or what if someones cousin or husband or child gets on drugs and makes a crazy purchase. I know this has happened to people. I could lose 10,000 and you would not be responsible in that case. So I would like to lower the amount I could lose to 300.00 in a given day''.     Their answer really surprised me.'' No, I'm sorry that is the default amount and there is no way to change it,  but we can put extra security numbers and codes onthe account but that will cost you,''  I declined as I do not think my little brain will hold any more passwords and codes.
I have been using Paypal for 10 years but this problem was always in the back of my mind. The next day I went to my bank and opened a second checking account. More passwords....

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Jul 17 09:51:06 2014

''The current offer,for example, is $10 off a $50 purchase at Target when you pay with PayPal'' for Paypal select customers. Using that example if you are NOT Paypal select you get $5 off a $50 purchase. Target ALWAYS offers those paying with a Target card 5% off ANY purchase. There are ALWAYS deals for most stores and you don't need to use Paypal.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 09:58:51 2014

I have always had a bank account SEPARATE from any other accounts (in a bank in which I have no other accounts) for the link to PayPal.

I keep track of deposits into this account and keep any balance as close to $0 as I can.  At least this way if fraudulent purchases are made, they should not be able to get actual funds from my account. It would seem to be a lot easier to fight the bank on overdraft charges if they sent the funds from my $0 balance account, and let the bank fight with the thieves.

I know they wouldn't help me fight the thieves, likely a losing battle.

Believe bank account balances are FDIC insured, which should help.

I am changing my PP password again.

PP Community is discussing this subject, but I could find no information whatsoever on the PP site itself about the ''Select''.

The emails seem to be coming from na.e.paypal.com  or e.paypal.com - check the ''Properties'' or ''Source'' of the email you received.  I refuse to click on anything in it, wonder what will happen to those who did.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 10:09:43 2014

@bitbybit

I haven't checked so dont know but this sounds like the ''Select'' is for online purchases only.

Yes Target and others offer great % off without having to be Select. Don't forget just about every CC also offers % off. Mine is 5% this month (thank you Jimmy D).

For me, that Select discount likely would be negated completely by the shipping I would have to pay - when I have a Target store locally where I can get their 5%, actually try something on or confirm some aspect of the item I'm buying IN PERSON. Then NO shipping charges !!

Just thinking - tongue in cheek - why didn't they include the POST OFFICE in the participating merchants - ??? But we already can use PP to pay the USPS**, maybe that is a factor ?  Just think how much PP Select could matter to the USPS solving their financial problems!!!
(** PP is a payment option to shippers who have a USPS Click-N-Ship account)

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 11:57:04 2014

I received the PayPal Select greeting myself, I suppose because I've been using my PayPal debit card for purchases at Home Depot and (on one occasion) a Family Dollar store. I was one who took up their offer of a PayPal debit card when it first came out back in 2012, figuring that it would be handy for routine purchases without having to first drag the money out of PayPal and into my checking account.

So it was, as far as it went. It was a little disconcerting to find that the sum total of participating merchants at that time was, like, five, and only two of those were in my area, and only Home Depot was a place I shopped at anyway. Nevertheless, I've been using it there, whenever I had funds in my account and needed to buy, say, a doorknob, so the card had its uses.

Whether this ''Select'' program is a logical extension of a vaguely-useful idea remains to be seen. The eBay connection to it (as being owners of PayPal) does not inspire confidence, but as with anything that involves eBay, if it's a disaster, we'll know sooner rather than later.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Jul 17 12:54:07 2014

It's a discriminatory and litigious offense. What a disgrace.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jul 18 02:20:30 2014

Wot, more desperate stuff from the headless turkey in the corner suite …

“PayPal Select.” This is a loyalty program for buyers who pay with “PreyPal”?

As a buyer, I don’t have a problem with “PreyPal”, it is convenient (and virtually mandated) for eBay purchases; but I read about a great many sellers that have had most unpleasant experiences with the very unprofessional transaction moderation process served up by “PreyPal”; so, I don’t understand why “PreyPal” would be at all inclined to be offering incentives to payers when it is the merchants/payees that would drop them and run a mile at the first opportunity …

Regardless, when the payer gets special access to “PreyPal” customer service it does not bode well for the seller involved; too bad “PreyPal” is not so considerate of its merchants/payees.

So, what’s going on? Then, maybe it’s the “noise” of “Visa Checkout” and MasterCard’s “MasterPass” coming down the road that is—rightly—worrying Johnny Ho—let’s hope so …

Regardless, those off-eBay online sellers that can quality for a real credit card merchant account with their own retail bank can now get a professional online payments service via either “Visa Checkout” or “MasterPass” …

Time to say, goodbye clunky “PreyPal”, and it has not been nice knowing you …

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 19 14:13:21 2014

I've never had a problem with Paypal.  They never held my funds, they never annoyed me in any way.  When I call them they are polite and helpful and whatever the problem is it is always solved and explained when I hang up.  If this changes, I will be very disappointed in them.  Frankly, I'm sick and tired of this "caste" system on both Ebay and now Paypal!