Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu June 26 2014 12:49:25

How to Get eBay Customer Service to Descore Seller Defects

eBay is imposing a new system for measuring seller performance, and as anyone who follows the company can guess, it's causing a lot of angst among its sellers. Sellers say they are contacting eBay customer service with questions about the new "defect rates" and with requests to fix errors and to "descore" defects. But are sellers getting satisfaction?

A letter I received today from a reader who contacted eBay customer service about several issues wrote, "Never has anyone when I called eBay customer support, made me feel like a valued customer or given me a warm greeting."

Sellers don't necessarily reach out when things are working well, so I visited the forums and came upon a thread about customer service that included a mix of experiences.

"Has anyone EVER gotten any type of satisfaction from Customer Service? I did it again . . . why, I don't know - I called Customer Service about a problem. I knew - I KNEW . . . I wouldn't get any help. All they want to do is say it was my fault and so what. Seriously, what a joke. I really, really, really need some guidance in another site to use other than eBay. HELP."

That was followed by a post from another seller, "Last time I called them, they descored an INR defect."

Rather than praise or pan customer service, it would be interesting to hear from sellers who have been successful in getting problems solved by eBay customer service and the approaches they took.

Clearly having an understanding of eBay's defect rates is critical to identifying whether you have a case for descoring a defect. One seller on the forum thread wrote, "Customer service is great. You just have to be clear and concise. Especially if you're speaking from someone outside the country." I've seen some sellers say they have better luck when they reach a U.S.-based rep (how do you request an American rep?).

Are some types of defects easier to descore than others?

If you've dealt with eBay customer service - especially if you've had success getting a defect descored - please share your advice.

Perminate Link for How to Get eBay Customer Service to Descore Seller Defects   How to Get eBay Customer Service to Descore Seller Defects

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Thu Jun 26 14:19:36 2014

I keep hearing conflicting answers.  Some CSRs say defects will be removed if cases are descored, and some have said more than once that they can not be removed.  Those reps have said that when certain cases are descored, theydefects remain but they won't count against the seller in cases without seller resolution.

I have  a sense that no one knows whats going on and they are still trying to figure out what they are going to do with all of this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jun 26 14:20:00 2014

90% of the "defects" on my dashboard are inaccurate.

Whenever I've called to get them descored I'm told that ebay is aware that many aren't correct but that they will somehow disappear when the system goes online.

I don't believe this for one nanosecond.

The latest is a defect where the customer simply wanted to tell me she hadn't received her item. Her husband and accepted delivery and forgotten to tell her. To compound matters the item wasn't scanned after leaving my state.

Ebay has NO interest is descoring unfair or inaccurate defects since the purpose of this illegal program is to remove top rated sellers from  receiving discounts.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Jun 26 14:46:29 2014

I called and had a defect descored.

Buyer purchased item, contacted me for support installing their part.

After multiple emails back and forth, I was able to determine that the part she purchased was unnecessary as her problem was with settings in her PC.

Once it was established that her fix was to change settings and not install a new part, I let the buyer know I would accept the item back for a full refund.

A day later, the buyer opens a claim for SNAD with eBay perhaps forgetting that she had already left positive feedback for the transaction.

I contacted Customer Service, was transferred once and had the new agent read through the emails and review the feedback.

The agent agreed it was an undeserved defect as it was obvious the buyer was lying through their teeth claiming SNAD.

The defect was descored and disappeared from my dashboard in a matter of hours.

This user has validated their user name. by: FIERCEI

Thu Jun 26 15:43:45 2014

Honestly, I don't call anymore....I'm at point whereas I simply don't care.

I have tried in the past, but I normally get the same reply. Stating they cannot remove it.

One rep gave me a credit for $6.99 after being on the phone for an hour. He said I was misinformed about the ''defect policy'', and he would get me a courtesy credit. I'm guessing he was tired of talking and wanted me off the phone.....

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Jun 26 17:33:57 2014

It has been a LONG time since I've had a problem solved by Customer Service.

I used to have great results from USA based customer service. They were knowledgeable and many had selling experience.

Once it became apparent I was being sent outside the USA the results deteriorated.
Either the CS did not know the concept of what I was asking, had never heard of what I was trying to find, or were simply clueless about the aspect of eBay I was calling about.

And let me add, I don't CARE where CS are located if I understand them, they understand me, my problem, and eBay - and they have effective answers that produce positive results. Unfortunately, that has not been my experience.

SO...  I just quit calling and look on Google or elsewhere. eBay SHOULD have a better handle on their customer service but they seem willing for it to be a crap shoot.  They literally drive their seller-customers to sites that are, shall we say, not always eBay friendly.

eBay ''Help'' Should provide specific written instructions on how to do things like handle a simple return, field a question, cancel a transaction, etc.... to avoid getting a Defect. Put it in writing, have it in ONE place, make it easy to find.

If unwarranted defects can be removed, great - Then it should be the same for everyone with unwarranted defects and clear instructions given on how to have them removed.

From the posts here, removing defects sounds a toss-up and left to chance.

That is NOT customer service, THAT is a lottery.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Jun 26 18:48:54 2014

''That was followed by a post from another seller, ''Last time I called them, they descored an INR defect.''

The guy who posted that would apologize for eBay if it was disclosed they were a kingpin in the white slavery business.

by: gramophone-georg This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 26 19:28:21 2014

I've never had Customer Service SOLVE a problem- they're the absolute best at CREATING problems, though!

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 26 21:08:12 2014

The lack of satisfaction with customer service at ebay has been happening for years. I have had to contact them only twice in the last few years and both times I was told I was out of luck. First was for removal of a negative from an Intl buyer who had filed and LOST a case because she didnt want to pay customs fees. Her feedback said I never shipped the dress. Even though there were messages proving that I did everything right, I was left with a negative feedback for a year.

The second instance happened with a duplicate listing issue. The system had been relisting items that were already listed. I had proof that the system did it. Printed off proof. Didnt matter. I received a 7 day restriction. Appealed and lost. They didnt care. They have not cared about thier customers, the sellers, for years.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jun 26 21:55:02 2014

I gave up calling Customer Service (another eBay oxymoron) when it became clear that I knew more about how eBay worked than their reps did.

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 26 23:43:58 2014

We haven't called ebay customer service for over four years. When things go wrong, we don't bother asking for their help.

Instead, we continue to focus on growing business on our own site which is currently making 22 times more sales than what we do on ebay.

Although there are a lot of items which we have invested in that do not sell well on our site compared to on ebay, we're OK with eating them as sales for our top sellers are growing faster than ever before.

Yes, we still have a few items on ebay but have not agreed to their user agreement and have already accumulated a number of defects from various misguided issues via ebays precarious system so when the time comes where they force us to agree, we'll just go away permanently.

After fourteen years of selling on ebay, we're emotionally ready to part ways.

by: lucask7 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 26 23:44:39 2014

I have no luck with e-bay reps, instead of listening to your problem, they are reading off of a standard from sheet which has nothing to do with your problem at all. The wait time is terrible on an average of about 2 hrs, then you might get transferred to another rep, and on down the line. You will also never get the same answer about your issue, or does it never get resolved and 99% of the time in favor of the buyer. The sellers are very disrespected by the reps and by e-bay as a whole. It will only get worse as the new policies go into effect, and they lose more customers! E-bay is done!!!

by: jaydee This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 27 06:37:40 2014

One buyer caused us Two defects from one transaction,

Reason: buyer gave wrong address, items never arrived, buyer admits incorrect address,

CS said defects would be removed

DEFECTS NOT REMOVED

Sick and Tired of fighting with these idiots, not worth the time, and stress, there was a time when we loved eBay, but we don't care about their  business anymore, we only care about our business, BUT if they ever decide to show us the door, I SWEAR I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THING ON EBAY / PAYPAL AGAIN, AND I WILL TERMINATE PAYPAL PAYMENTS FROM ALL OUR WEBSITES.

Instead of investing more wasted time into the Wacko World of eBay, we find it much more beneficial and rewarding to spend that time on our business, and other places to sell, and it's working way better for us.

Our sales in other venues are now way higher then eBay.

by: jaydee This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 27 07:01:18 2014

Xander

We are the same, 15 years, maybe needed to call CS once, and in the last month we have called at least 8 times, about these defects and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WAS RESOLVED.

We are still not leaving eBay, but as mentioned, if they give us the boot, we will certainly do the same to them including PAYPAL.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 27 10:30:43 2014

Ebay doesn't want to deal with the noise.

You know about all the online stories from seller complaining from a sudden and complete lack of sales. Well the same thing happened to me but more than 6 months before all the other stories came rolling in.

I didn't want to let my business go down through the toilet so I sent a signed for letter to the headquarters in Luxemburg treatening to take legal action. As a result I got a phone call, where some inside person from Ebay would look into my problem.

The complete lack of support of CS was one of the things I complained about. So I got a mailaddress and was said I could use it if I had any more problems.

A few  months later this emailaddress was no longer working... Unable to contact Ebay bay any other means then the normal CS.

"and building positive relationships with your buyers - are key to creating long-term successes"

A quote from an article Ino wrote today. And this is exactly what Ebay fails to understand. In the past there was a good understanding between ebay, sellers and buyers. A filosophy completely destroyed by the incompetent Ebay management.

Sellers spit out Ebay as a piece of garbage. Ebay does everything in its power to create as many problems between buyers and sellers as possible.

All those improvements have only had one effect: more and more sellers that fail under the new Ebaysystem. But in fact it are Eba
ay themselves who are failing...

Instead of clearing up the situations, explaining what they are doing (maybe in long term it will be for the greater good)Ebay does what it always does: lying, cheating, demoralising their sellers.

I can completely understand why people get different anwers for CS. I'm a very gentle person but not when I called CS. I knew my business was going through the drain due to Ebay hiding my listings or whatever they did. CS must get these king of calls all of the time. If I would be a CS officer at the end I would also tell all kinds of things just to get rid of the so maniest angry seller.

The only option Ebay leaves you as a business is to just leave Ebay and not look back. I did it a few months ago and should have done it earlier. While I saw an all time low volume of sales on Ebay this month I've had excellent website sales.

One Ebay sales have plumed with 70% With a + 100% increase in sales through our own website and other venues.

So what the problem on Ebay why I could no longer sell? It beats me, but the problem certainly is not me.

I've quit Ebay and have no intention to ever go back. And I'll hope many sellers will follow so we can bring this company without a consious on its knees. That's the only thing left for Ebay to deserve.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 27 11:50:50 2014

Ebay has their on size fits all policy, they have their bad customer service it is potluck when you call.
The defect rate is going to become the biggest sham in the history of ebay far exceeding the buyer protection policy which is full of blunders.
Neutrals as negatives
Cancelled transactions because of buyer errors
shipping late past handling because buyers did not send information for custom products.
Lost packages
Buyers with incorrect shipping addresses
buyers claiming non-receipt even though seller has a delivery conformation.
False NAS and seller wins
I can go on and on but the picture is not a rosey one.
I have a unique business which requires the buyer to send me information before I can make their product, their are a large number of buyers who do not send that information requested and we the seller have contact them, their in lies the problem, they do not answer for days sometimes weeks.
Their contact information is out of date, their voicemail boxes are full, they do not know how to use or find the ebay message system and they do not answer their emails.
Guess what ebay is counting that against us if the item is not shipped withing the handling time.
I spent an hour on the fun with ebay, I was transferred four times only to be told that this will have to go to management and they will get back to me in 3 days that was two weeks ago, not a word back.
I have no choice but to look for legal help and to contact my states attorney general.
It is unbelievable how ebay has treated me, yet I am expected to give excellent customer service, is is absolutely wrong for ebay to give defect rates to a seller who cannot control what the buyer does.
Ebay does not care which leads me to the conclusion that this is being done deliberately.
Does anyone know a attorney who handles ebay cases for sellers?

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Fri Jun 27 12:18:23 2014

eBay's outsourced telephone customer service is an abject failure good only for raising a caller's blood pressure.

You would get better problem resolution talking to a parrot or mynah bird on the phone.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 27 13:25:01 2014

Any normal corporation would recognise that the mounting pressure on their customer support "service" (and I use that word very loosely) would indicate that they had a real problem; not Johnny Ho, apparently ...

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 27 13:35:03 2014

Holy Cow--now instead of fighting negative feedback sellers are fighting to be descored? This system is absolutely debilitating. How can sellers put customers first, give excellent service, and stay focused on their scores? STUPID.

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 27 16:10:30 2014

Ebay CS for sellers is a total joke.

Sellers need to move on....the past is the past. At this point, wishing and hoping it will come back is foolish.
Ebay is determined to run the boat into an iceberg. The Titanic analogies are very apt here.
If you are a small seller , you can choose not to work for the faceless mega robot machine.
Choose your destiny or wait like a dog for a few crumbs to fall off the master's table.

So many things in American life are now like that. Stop supporting machines which only want to use you up
and then throw you away. At this point the confusion, chaos and unfairness of the Ebay bureaucracy makes this place
very unattractive if you have been paying attention. I have no problem leaving it behind when my time comes.

Yes, this is my real Ebay name......

by: Dexter Morgan This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 27 20:09:22 2014

I had 3 cases removed but it wasn't easy. 2 cases were opened in February and 1 in March. I clicked on the "Appeal a Case" and called CS. I first asked them the reasoning for collecting cases that are under the 2013 policy, where it was clearly stated opened cases did not count against sellers, and counting those same cases against sellers under the 2014 policy. The eBay spin immediately began. Her response was to some foreign question that I hadn't asked. After interrupting her 3 times and insisting she answer the question I asked she put me on hold so "she could find the answer." On hold for over 5 minutes.

She returned and started her !&%# all over again and, again, same as above. After 2 more times on hold for a VERY long time (she was hoping I would hang up) she stated there was no way for her to remove the cases.

So I asked her about the rogue instructions given to buyers when "Item not as described" is checked. I told her eBay is flat out lying to buyers by telling them they are contacting the seller and if the seller doesn't respond within 3 business days they can THEN open a case with customer service. My cases were opened only because of those same instructions to my customers. She then attempted to tell me that the buyer has to click on 4 different pages before a case is opened. I told her that is a flat out lie and how I accidently opened a case against a seller and only clicked one time.

She then asked me for the ID numbers of the listings that the cases were opened against and immediately removed them.

Imagine that since she had just said there was no way for her to remove a case.

1 2 3  [Next Page]