Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Feb 13 2014 13:05:12

PayPal Memo Points to Possible Mobile Roadblocks

PayPal President David Marcus had a message for employees this week, and it wasn't a Valentine's Day love poem. Marcus was upset with some employees for not being able to use PayPal's app when testing mobile payments at a cafe last week. Venture Beat reported that he sent a memo on Monday scolding employees.

"some of you refused to install the PayPal app (!!?!?!!), and others didn’t even remember their PayPal password. That’s unacceptable to me, and the rest of my team, everyone at PayPal should use our products where available. That’s the only way we can make them better, and better."

If PayPal employees are having issues, then customers are having issues too. This is a moment of truth, and whether PayPal uses it as a learning experience may make all the difference to the company's success in mobile payments. If employees are hesitant to download the PayPal app to their phones, then so are customers.

eBay and PayPal are betting big on mobile transactions, and they've made great strides. In 2013, eBay processed $22 billion in mobile GMV and PayPal processed $27 billion in mobile payments. But you can't bully shoppers into behaviors with which they don't feel comfortable, and PayPal must figure out how to overcome these roadblocks.

Venture Beat reprinted the entire Marcus memo - which exudes an almost religious fervor - in a followup post, which includes reader reaction.

Many EcommerceBytes readers are longtime PayPal customers - what do you think of the PayPal mobile app and how have you used it to buy or sell with your mobile device?

Any hesitations to download PayPal, eBay or other ecommerce mobile apps to your phone or tablet? Why or why not?

Perminate Link for PayPal Memo Points to Possible Mobile Roadblocks   PayPal Memo Points to Possible Mobile Roadblocks

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Feb 13 13:27:38 2014

Scratch the smiling surface of these open collared ePal execs and you will find a snarling zealot pushing their master plan.

No Bible thumper I, but there is a method to their grand schemes.

"Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark..."

by: froggie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 13 13:30:34 2014

Holy cow!! He isn't mincing words in that memo and it's pretty hard to take his meaning out of context.

And the ''brutal facts'' for me are that cell phone technology has a long way to go before it's secure. If his employees in San Jose don't share his ''passion'' for using Paypal products, then it's my belief they know something and maybe we should all take heed.

I don't own a cell phone, and if I did, I would NEVER use it to make a purchase, or to take Paypal payments. But that's just me. It's bad enough having to be plugged in to this computer for the above said things I do daily.

It's really hard for me to wrap my head around Marcus' so-called 'passion', and his extreme castigating of his employees in San Jose. If I were his employee, I'd be thinking really hard about finding another job.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Thu Feb 13 13:55:49 2014

You VILL use the app und like it!!

Where have I heard this before.

When I acquire my 1st "smart" phone, I'll install the star finder app, maybe a GPS & e-mail access.

I have no need to pay by phone. I still gotta fumble with plastic/cash/phone, and with the chip cards coming to the technological backwater in a few years, security will be about as good as it will get.

PS - when Detroit made cars, the non-brand employee's cars were relegated to the rear parking lot, or so urban legend has it.

It sounds like PayPal's upper crust is trying to emulate the former execs of Chrysler, Ford & Generous Motors.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Thu Feb 13 14:02:02 2014

"and with the chip cards coming to the technological backwater in a few years, security will be about as good as it will get."

Correction - should read

and with the chip cards coming to the fast becoming technological backwater of the USofA in a few years thanks to the Target hack, security will be about as good as it will get.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Feb 13 14:45:44 2014

Although I have had the eBay app for quite awhile and have relisted on it and purchased items on it without any problems, I have held off on getting the PayPal app. I don’t even have my bank’s app & they promote it like crazy. Just being careful.

But there are times I’ve been tempted to get them & would have liked them on my phone or tablet. Probably would get them for the tablet first and give them a test drive.

This is an instance where I like to just stand back & let everyone else try it out and work out any issues. Then maybe I’ll get PayPal or bank apps.

by: Mimi This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 13 14:48:20 2014

My best friend's son works at PayPal and believe me, it's just a job. He lost his super well paying job at Oracle during the recession, had to drive a bread truck for awhile (no offense to bread truck drivers) and was just glad to get the PP job. He lives in Santa Cruz and is far more interested in surfing and playing his guitar than worrying about PayPal's app.

His GF actually makes pretty ok money with her art on eBay and Etsy. Funny, I was doing a search on eBay (for Vespa as my husband has one) and one of her cute illustrations came up first. Neither one of us could believe it out of the tons of stuff on there.

I sure don't have the PayPal app on my phone and have no intention of doing so!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Feb 13 15:08:52 2014

BTW – does Coke or their vendors mind their machines getting hacked to accept PayPal by the “passionate” employees”?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Feb 13 15:44:02 2014

Great news for LifeLock!

The Icahn Effect.

The more sensitive information we e load anywhere increases the probability of being victimized.

If ebay and PayPal had histories of being secure venues, I might (but probably not) consider using their mobile apps. But the words "secure," "ebay", and "PayPal" should never be used in the same sentence.

It would be fascinating if these ebay/PayPal execs all took the MMPI2. I think the results would reveal just how pathological these sociopaths are.

This user has validated their user name. by: Diaper Mess

Thu Feb 13 16:27:49 2014

I'm not the least bit surprised and assume the reason PP employees do not wish to upload PP Apps is because they already know there are major glitch issues happening with online sites using Chrome, Safari or IE.

Etsy is having major glitch issues and no one has said nothing about it. Just go take a look at Etsy Community forum under the BUGS link and read topic after topic every few minutes from members not able to buy or sell with ''Canned'' replies from Admin. informing them to ''clear cache or change browser''...this has been going on since January 01st.

I know for a fact that I cannot leave any Etsy seller a 5 star review from my phone because Etsy only shows 4 stars option unless you go use a regular desktop computer, and then you can leave 5 stars.

Those PP employees already know there issues involved from using their smartphones for online business.

Will someone PLEASE do some problematic research on the Etsy site in order to HELP us merchants there next?

What a Diaper Mess!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Feb 13 17:18:55 2014

One last -if he were president of a cigarette company would everyone be required to smoke?

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 13 18:28:28 2014

Having read the articles/memo In a way, he comes across like a miffed sixth grade schoolgirl. That doesn't look like good leadership. Girly-man leadership, take your dolly and dishes and go home.

Paypal employees might want to look up Characteristics of Cults when they're not busy submitting resumes.

Doubtful Mr. Marcus will seek the psychiatric help he needs, but he may want to on the lookout backstabbers now that he tipped his hand. It's always those closest. Trust no one but your Paypal logo. (Nelson Haha)

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Feb 13 20:06:11 2014

I just caught PayPal trying to sucker in unsuspecting pigeons using the "11 Main" bait.
11 Main (.com) is nothing more than a rouse to get people to sign up with PayPal. They should be ashamed of themselves. I analyzed the entire scheme from start to finish.
11 Main uses Vendio as the conduit.
In other words, 11 Main inserts itself as the middle man between you and Vendio.
When I announced that I will NEVER take (the required) PayPal, there was a Long Silence....Hello?
Then an exchange of the obligatory pleasantries and we signed off.
Skip 11 Main.  Go with ETSY. And of course Your OWN website.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Feb 13 21:04:27 2014

"You VILL use the app und like it!!
Where have I heard this before."

Colonel Wilhelm Klink?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Feb 13 21:40:54 2014

As I've noted before, it's truly tragic that ebay management can't afford to buy ties.

Who does Marcus think he's kidding or he fears being more sartorially splendid that his Top 10 Worst Dressed boss?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Feb 13 21:42:49 2014

Sheesh -- I need new glasses.

That last sentence should have read, "Who does Marcus think he's kidding or does he fear being more sartorially splendid than his Top 10 Worst Dressed boss?

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 14 00:18:28 2014

''He lives in Santa Cruz and is far more interested in surfing and playing his guitar than worrying about PayPal's app''

Sounds like this one has his priorities right... I'd also rather play my guitar and surf than work for paypal.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Fri Feb 14 13:33:11 2014

You can not make this stuff up.

The PayPal TOS might be interesting, like who they "share" your "information" with. Does PayPal get a list of all your friends and email contacts, like most apps do?

People who insist they are your pal usually are not a friend.

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 14 16:12:40 2014

I did have the PP app on my Android phone, but it didn't behave normally, would freeze up, etc; so I removed it. Didn't really need it as I have the eBay app (which works fine).

I don't have a problem with making transactions on my smart phone, but the apps must work well. It would not be good, if there was a glitch in the program, and money got held up by way of lost data packets.

I will continue to send/receive money via PP on my computer.

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 14 16:14:38 2014

@The End

I was under the impression, that "11 Main" was Alibaba?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Feb 14 20:06:46 2014

@Will
11 Main.com  contact is in CA.
Nothing was ever mentioned about Alibaba.
They were in a Big Hurry to get me to the page where I would enter my credit card info.
Person was an American.
PayPal was being pushed as "The most popular accepted payment method".
No one I know uses PayPal, or they have nothing good to say about it.
This scheme should be investigated because nothing adds up.