Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Dec 9 2014 06:52:11

Amazon Launches Haggle Feature in Collectibles and Fine Art

Amazon has launched a "Make an Offer" feature that sellers in collectibles categories can offer shoppers. To start, more than 150,000 items from sellers on Amazon are enabled with the Make an Offer experience across Sports and Entertainment Collectibles, Collectible Coins and Fine Art. The new feature will expand to hundreds of thousands of items from sellers in 2015.

Amazon is positioning this as way for shoppers to get "even lower prices."

Like traditional Make an Offer features on ecommerce marketplaces, "If agreed upon, customers can then purchase the items at a savings from the listed price."

Last year, we talked to antiques and collectibles experts about Amazon's chances of success in collectibles - the biggest challenge at the time was that few people thought of Amazon as a place that even carried collectibles.

How do you verify the authenticity of the goods sold on Amazon, and how would dealers cope with Amazon's generous return policy in a category where condition is crucial, experts wondered.

You can find items eligible for offers at Amazon.com/makeanoffer. Let us know what you think!

UPDATE: More info about the feature from the seller's point of view in Wednesday's Newsflash article.

Perminate Link for Amazon Launches Haggle Feature in Collectibles and Fine Art   Amazon Launches Haggle Feature in Collectibles and Fine Art

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Dec 9 08:19:46 2014

Collectibles is the last major area of strength for eBay. Some categories just don't exist elsewhere. Now if Amazon will have a listing process which is simpler than eBay's and a less Byzantine shipping structure, I see major competitio.

Batten the hatches, it's going to get stormy.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Tue Dec 9 10:35:43 2014

The Anaconda has taken its first bite to slowly, and completely swallow the eB*tch. Auctions are next as Devil W. wets his pants this morning. Sleep well eB*tches..

by: Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 15:57:37 2014

Smart positive move by Amazon. Amazon focuses on sales while ebay  focuses is on negatives like returns

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Dec 9 19:22:39 2014

Ebay Seller-Ebay Buyer, don't worry, eBay will do it now that Amazon is doing it.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue Dec 9 20:13:06 2014

Amazon has a better chance of being eBay (the one we use to love) than ebay being ebay. Capeesh?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Dec 10 07:05:11 2014

Al G says: Now if Amazon will have a listing process which is simpler than eBay's and a less Byzantine shipping structure, I see major competition.

Isn't that the truth. What a cumbersome and time consuming listing process when an item is not already in their catalog. I just gave up. Some of the information that they require is impossible to get, especially as it relates to one-of-a kind items or collectibles.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 11 00:00:09 2014

Some other things I would like if they had the make an offer. I sell rare computer parts and I might be the only seller selling that item. The item may be worth $50 or $100, but its hard to tell.

I'd like to list it at $100, but who knows if it would sell. If there was an offer, I'd be happy with anything over $65...and maybe if its been sitting for over a year, $30

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 11 11:06:56 2014

I'd been seeing a line about 'make and offer' when listing and since when I tried to click on it, nothing happened, I decided to let it ride until I found out more about it from an Amazon post. I'm glad that their is a dollar limit on it now as I used to hate the best offer deal at ebay when people would offer $ for something listed for $30. Or would offer half price for the item plus I was supposed to include the shipping within that price as well. So many buyers are still convinced that we are selling our closet clutter and will be glad to take anything for an item. Kind of like the lady that showed up first at the beginning of a yard sale and immediately would try to get you to drop your prices to something ridiculous when you haven't had a chance for anyone else yet to see it. I don't mind some make an offer things if it is reasonable, but I've rarely gotten resaonable offers and I think the $100 limit will help.

I do remember when Amazon had a feature that if someone was looking for a book, if you listed it in the correct condition, and the price was right, you had an instant sale. Now that I did like, but haven't seen or heard of that for years.