Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Nov 19 2014 16:51:46

Share Your Walmart Price-Matching Stories Here

On Friday, I blogged about Walmart's price-matching policy after confirming with Wal-Mart spokesperson John Forrest Ales that the company would match prices of online retailers, including Walmart.com, Amazon.com, and Amazon third-party merchants. There have been some interesting developments this week as shoppers started to take advantage of the policy.

A reader wrote today to say she was pleasantly surprised after reading our article published Monday that went into more details about the program. She decided to do some shopping at her local Wal-Mart store to take advantage of the price-matching, but it didn't go as planned, as she explains:

I spent a day price matching my items from Amazon.com. I added them to my cart and headed to Walmart in Scarborough Maine. I get to the cash register and they called a manager, which took 15 minutes for her to show up. The people in line behind me were so irate.

I called previously called the store and asked if I needed to go to customer service desk and they said no, just the register. The manager pulls out her iphone and says we can only accept Amazon.com prices, and it cannot say only 18 (or how many items) left in store. This happens a lot on Amazon because they only have so many items left to sell. And the manager took the price of the first item she saw.

So as far as Walmart matching prices, I think it's a bust. Which is disappointing. I was shopping in the store and on the TV it kept saying Walmart are matching prices. It's a lot of work to take the time to match prices and then to be rejected and have to wait - it's not worth it. I think I will stick with Amazon. In addition I can shop from the convenience of my home.

Another  reader wrote, "Walmart has stopped offering the price match on PS 4's because of FRAUD - folks are making FAKE listings for the new PS 4 at $89 and taking the screenshots to Walmart and they are getting it, until now. These are the buyers we eBay sellers are also unprotected from."

Indeed, we wrote about some of the ways shoppers were trying to game the system in a follow-up Newsflash article yesterday.

With Black Friday just 9 days away, the pressure is on to get this right.

We'd like to hear your stories. Have you tried to purchase items at a Wal-Mart store or on Walmart.com and take advantage of its price-matching policy? We'd love to hear specifics about your successes and any challenges you encounter in getting the retailer to match prices.

Please share your stories in the comments below.

Perminate Link for Share Your Walmart Price-Matching Stories Here   Share Your Walmart Price-Matching Stories Here

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 20 02:09:39 2014

Walmart must be desperate.
They would not be matching online prices in store unless they felt they were being forced to do so.

A month ago I walked into my local Walmart with a printout from Walmart.com, an item that was available for same day pickup at that very store.  They said they could not price match their own website!  The manager said it was because of a different service level.  I pointed out that I could go home, place the order online for same day pickup and come back to the store, and get it at that price from her.  And why was it in Walmart's best interest to inconvenience customers?

Nope.

So I guess they are now doing what I asked them to do then, and with the Amazon match they are going much farther.

Desperation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 20 02:41:07 2014

I think it is a smart move to do price matching with online merchants, just not individual sellers on Amazon.  You didn't need a crystal ball to figure out that this was going to go badly for Walmart.  But they are pretty smart, they figured it out pretty quickly and fixed it.

But in general I think it is a smart move as so many of us shop online now and have things delivered to our homes.

There is another part of WalMart price matching that I really like too. And that is their website where you can enter your Walmart receipts and it will go and compare local pricing for you to see if they owe you some credits for price matching.  This is especially handy with Super Walmarts where you can purchase groceries.  I really like it.  It takes them a couple days to notify you how much if anything you saved.  I just let the money add up until it is meaningful and then use it.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 20 03:17:37 2014

@MARIE---I had NO idea you could use your receipts from WM this way!  Is there some special way to do this???

Do tell!!!!!

IT is very annoying to try and get alllll of the prices and model numbers etc together TO shop----esp here where everything is so far away.

We had this issue yesterday while looking for a new cell phone.  The bottom line best price and benefits was using ATT--but we don't think we have ATT reception out here.  And NO Verizon or the independent stores will NOT match prices.

They have "Black Friday" specials that DISCRIMINATE against existing customers. I believe that if you WANT to hold onto your EXISTING paying customers--you TREAT THEM WELL.  However Verizon is from the Ebay school of doing business--Got a good customer?  Screw 'em over!

And NO I am NOT camping out between now and Black Friday (a relative called it "Good Friday" the other day!) for a whopping $50 gift card---to a place that sells little UNDER $50.

This is EXACTLY the same Bait-N-Switch system that DTV has going on---

IF you are going to piss on me---please do not try to make me think it is raining.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Thu Nov 20 03:18:10 2014

@steevo

Same thing happened to me with a toner cartridge. If I ordered it online at walmart.com it was $10 less, but I could not buy it in the store at their advertized price.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 20 03:23:18 2014

@comet

Just go to that link I provided.  I LOVE it.  While certainly none of us will get rich, it has its advantages.  I no longer have to be that crazy lady holding up the line trying to get all the price matches I need.  Now that is a bonus for EVERYONE.  LOL  Don't you just hate getting behind someone like that when you are trying to check out.

Plus I'm finding I save more than I thought I would.  That's another bonus.  It's really easy to do.  That's terrific.  And I'll just let all my couple bucks add up until they have real meaning and then I'll got get a free weeks worth of groceries.  Got to LOVE that.

I like banking them and letting them add up.  They have far more meaning that way.

I think we will see more stores do this as it catches on because consumers have got to love this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 20 03:24:28 2014

Oh and because WM seems to be the only store doing this so far.  WM will win loyalty.  Really such a smart move.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Thu Nov 20 08:29:50 2014

licy-1416440264?mod=pls_whats_news_us_business_f
Wal-Mart
says it is no longer matching prices from marketplace vendors or third-party sellers and will limit the list of retailers it matches to 30, including Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) and Best Buy (NYSE:BBY). The retailer says customers have been using fake listings to obtain discounts and saw fit to tighten its policy. Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) only began matching online retailers last week in a bid to remain competitive in what has become an extremely promotional shopping environment.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 20 08:52:39 2014

Walmart has had price marching in their stores but normally it did not include online, it works fairly well but there is always fraud by bad customers in Walmart, however they do try to police it unlike ebay whom has decided bad buyers are okay.
Walmart also has the savings catcher which is really cool, it will match the prices elsewhere in brick and mortar and give you the savings back on a gift receipt to use it on whatever. See their site fort details.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 20 15:00:28 2014

"So I went home and printed the online Walmart price, then brought that into the Office Depot next door to Walmart, and they honored the Walmart price that Walmart itself would not honor from their own website."
KUDOS!
I hate WM almost as much as EB, & neither get my money!!

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 21 14:13:06 2014

@marie  - I tried to do the Walmart register matching, but had to call it in. Then they come back and say I can only match another 6 times that week!  Punish the good buyer!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Nov 22 03:14:33 2014

@AC_in_Mich

OMG, how many times a week do you go to WalMart.  Good buyer, going more than once a day seems a bit excessive to me.  I can understand that on an occasion when you forgot to pick up something, but as a regular thing no.  Heck if I go twice a week I think that is too much.  I'm not big on hanging out at Walmart.  I just want to get in, get my shopping done and out of there.  They typically do have close to the best prices where I live, so I'm glad we have a super WM close by.

I just thought of something.  Are you thinking you can only price match 6 ITEMS??  If that is what you think, the answer is no.  It is receipts.  And your receipt can have a zillion things on it if that is what you bought in that trip.

The website is beyond easy to do.  You sign up, which takes a couple minutes literally.  Then when you have a receipt you log into your account, on the right side of the screen will have a place to put in what they call the TC number.  Then you put in the date and hit enter.  You are done.

In a couple days they will send you an email telling you how much you got in savings if any.  Or you can log back into you account and see it.

by: maya This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 23 19:19:43 2014

If I have to go to Walmart.. As they say on shark tank

"I'm Out"

by: balloo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 23 23:03:57 2014

My wife shops wallmart for a lot of foods & other household items. She always saves real money. Now , however , no more meats price matching , or vegetable.  We have noticed , if someone puts russet 10 lb. bag on sale , they pull them , & put out 5 lb. Items must be the same , look the same in add. They are crooks. Liars. Often manufacturers change package color for certain stores.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 8 00:11:26 2015

I've been using the Savings Catcher at Walmart for a few months now. Sometimes I am amazed at what the savings are. It's saved me $1 and $1.50 several times; sometimes it's just a few cents though. I've got about $5 to spend so far ... gotta figure out how to do that.