Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue Oct 14 2014 21:57:17

Three Missing eBay Features - Where Did They Go?

Aaaaaand they're gone. eBay sellers are wondering what happened to some popular features they had relied on: the auto-relist checkbox; saved-search RSS feeds; and category numbers.

RSS Feed: There's been a lot of discussion about what happened to RSS feeds on eBay, including this report on Ecommerce EKG. This is something shoppers also use to save searches, and for people who used it, it's a big loss, as described be these users on this eBay board.

Category Numbers: A seller noted that eBay removed category numbers from its category index page. "Why would eBay do this which makes setting up auctions with a lister like mine more difficult," he asked.

Auto-Relist Checkbox: Many sellers are bummed at the sudden disappearance of the auto-relist feature that let them set up listings to relist automatically up to three times if the item didn't sell - for free. (See the latest in Wednesday's Newsflash.)

What makes things worse is the way eBay "disappears" features. Users appreciate announcements - especially if they end up spending hours on the phone trying to get answers from eBay customer service reps.

Do you miss any of these features? Have you noticed other features disappearing from eBay? Let us know!

Perminate Link for Three Missing eBay Features - Where Did They Go?   Three Missing eBay Features - Where Did They Go?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Oct 14 23:00:53 2014

Seller facing changes without announcement despite past and recent commitments from the company that announcements would be made.

Not only are the features missing, but so is the last shred of credibility eBay had with it's sellers.

The company's recent moves to further alienate sellers is curious given the pending split.  Once the split is complete, eBay will need all their sellers more than ever, yet curiously, they continue to dismiss sellers at nearly every opportunity.

Not a good start for soon to be CEO Devin Wenig.

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Tue Oct 14 23:32:08 2014

I called ebay about the RSS feed being gone and the answer given to me was that all sellers who are now on the "new ebay store look" do not have the RSS feature.

Agent said it will be rolling out at a later date.

Just to note, do not revert back to the old store (if still possible as it was for a while) because your store page keywords could be lost which will be tragic for your sales.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 15 00:35:26 2014

Gotta make room for that Bitcoin button.
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Wed Oct 15 00:50:37 2014

Policy and feature changes occur whenever the sellers are still alive; at random.

Coming Soon (at an undisclosed random time); your username will change overnight to a 10 digit character starting with 'ebayseller0000000000'

Each week, the number will refresh, and your ebay ID will change at random..

Ebay cares for sellers.

by: annimae This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 15 05:37:28 2014

Now we are given the option to relist 1 time (instead of 3) if items don't sell, but THAT doesn't even work! So I'm having to go in and either re-list or sell similar every time! One day last week, I noticed a couple items didn't re-list, so I hit the re-list button and got them going again only to find out that THEN the automatic re-list worked (the notice coming AFTER I re-listed it manually); so then I had 2 identical items listed (different auction numbers) and had to cancel 1 of them! And no, I didn't get the automatic comment that it was already listed!

I find it REALLY annoying too that on these re-lists that ebay assigns new listing numbers!  I can see it if you do a ''sell similar'', but why on a re-list?  I tweet daily ALL items that I sell in ALL my stores!  My other stores don't assign new numbers each time...only if I don't re-list right away (sometimes I hold items back for a month or so). It's MUCH more work on the weekly auctions on ebay to have to re-do the tweets EVERY time, so I find I have more items set for monthly renewals instead to cut down my workload (yes, the tweeting works or I wouldn't be doing it)!

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 15 07:50:34 2014

I HATE EBAY.

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 15 08:48:32 2014

Another shot in the foot!

I closed my buying account (stopped selling in 2008) because of stunts like this.

Final straw was global shipping, paying for custom charges to UK when none were due (who pockets on that scam? PB or ebay?)

The RSS feed was very useful, it's removal is just another thing to piss buyers off, one more thing in a long list,

Endless picture loading,memory sapping front page (whose great idea was that?)

Music blasting out on front page (short lived)

Constant changes to seller info.

x people watching/watched this - SFW!!

TRS pop-up obscuring details.

Large picture pop-ups.

an absolute useless search engine

continuing XSS flaw (serious matter ebay just dismisses)

and on and on it goes.

PS. Just saw the ninja Paypal ad here in UK - who are they trying to kid? PURILE

PPS another pic made in 2008, getting closer. This one's for Santini :)

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Wed Oct 15 10:22:23 2014

Also about the RSS feed.

Have noticed since late 2012 that the majority of our sales come from the first 100 items in our RSS feed list.

Ebay randomly selects & ranks those items via best match algorithm (majority in the top 100 are new from scratch listings).

Having the ability to turn RSS off and then back on seemed to refresh the list to some different items in our inventory.

The ability to turn off and then on again was nice since I already knew that the ebay search engine was not activity promoting or showing our listings in ebay search engine on the ebay site.

The RSS feed allows Google to show our listings on Google and from there our sales are originating.

I keep harping about the importance that sellers keep downloaded and printed records of ebays traffic reports from Omniture.

Inside traffic reports is a breakdown of the search engines whom are delivering traffic to sellers listings. One of those reports is ebay search engine.

I bet if all we sellers were to compare our reports for ebay search engine a very clear time line will appear showing our collective extermination which will be undisputed.

Ebay made a public announcement in late 2012 or early 2013 that Omniture was broken placing blame that their services did not work correctly and ebay also claimed that ebay is showing sellers listing because pageviews are being recorded at ebays Listing Analytics.

When looking in Listing Analytics it does not show where the traffic originated so ebay can now lie and say it is them delivering but it is not.

Sellers go down load your reports in Omniture. You can only go back two years so it is important to get your reports.

@ Omniture & Adobie Executives... do not delete sellers history's going back farther that 2 years because ebay will throw you under the bus when the investigators come.

@ Ina please investigate there is a story here, been saying it all along and will continue.

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Wed Oct 15 22:01:17 2014

P Dorf:

Great pic@ I wish it would make the cover for Forbes!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 15 23:57:13 2014

The RELIST is BS

When you go to relist--as mentioned above--you are not SHOWN the relist at ALL even if you refresh the SELLING page.  So then you go and relist AGAIN only to THEN get told--not right away but HOURS later---that you have a VIOLATION of DUPLICATE LISTING POLICY.

Which of course means--to ebay---that you have dared to VIOLATE them.

When all you WANTED to do is list tomething in the vain hopes that something might SELL.

Also the promo features you OPT INTO no longer drop OFF when the promo is OVER so you end up PAYING for them if you did not KNOW this--of course this is NOT mentioned ANYWHERE.

And thinking your items would relist that THREE times as adverted---Bwahahahahaha

Their error--your problem

Same $hit different day

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Thu Oct 16 00:01:47 2014

I avoid manually listing, so I don't notice the 3 re-list option feature was gone until someone in other forum made a comment.

This user has validated their user name. by: WatchCount.com

Thu Oct 16 05:18:47 2014

Here at WatchCount.com we're disappointed at the loss of the RSS feeds and the CatID#s.

At this moment, I think the RSS feeds still work, even if the RSS button is missing from the front-end eBay websites. But there's strong evidence that the feeds themselves will stop functioning soon.

The Category ID #s appeared on that former category listing page for years, but disappeared recently during an eBay site redesign. Some of our users used that page to hone in on specific leaf/sub categories for searches on our site.

by: Cinny123 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 16 08:45:52 2014

I hate to appear ignorant, but I have seen on many of the blogs, referrals to ebay store keywords.  Could someone explain to me where keywords are put in ones store & anything else about keywords.  Thanks!

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 16 09:07:59 2014

Yes, by getting rid of RSS, eBay is forcing users to stay directly connected to the eBay site. If the user has a third party program where all of their feeds are collected, that means they can quickly compare items and their pricing in one place - away from the actual site(s).

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 16 10:12:25 2014

Going to sound like an idiot here, but I don't really get what the whole RSS thing has to do with showing our listings in Google search.
Can someone explain it?
I had a Bonanza booth when they started Google feeds and it was a nightmare. There were so  many "no-no's" of what could be in the text of the listing and analytics that had to be filled out that I never managed to get a single submission of my items to go through. Every report came back as "no items" submitted.
There were lots postings from users making suggestions on how to edit listings so they would qualify but no actual clear tutorial on the do's and dont's.
I have my RSS enabled on ebay, but if Google wouldn't accept my Bonanza listings my ebay ones are not likely to fare any better.
I could never solve the problem on Bonanza and I can't find any info on ebay about how to make listings compatible with Google.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 16 10:42:36 2014

My free relists stopped on January 1, the ones I had chosen to relist did not. No explanation or reason given, it just stopped. Am surprised that people are/were still getting it this late in the year.

by: ellisdtripp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 16 11:44:45 2014

I am a small ebay seller and have been doing my listings through Auctiva for about five years now. It costs me 9.95 a month, but I find Auctiva to be a lot less hassle. Scheduling and relisting are a snap. With Auctiva I have folders of listings set up for auctions and BIN items. I have special folders set up to take advantage of the free listings eBay offers regularly. ''Bulk A 10 day'' is a folder that lists all my auction items with a ten day duration. I can open that folder and select them all and schedule them all at once. I have the same items in a ''5 day'' folder and a ''Bulk F'' folder for BIN. The Auctiva interface is a tad clunky, but I find it much, much better than Turbo Lister which I was using before and which is a buggy PITA! Auctiva is great at dealing with bunches of listings at a time. When introducing new lines of items I make the BIN items listing first then copy them and put them in a 5 day auction folder and a 10 day auction folder. It is quick and as convenient a system as i have found.

I don't use auto relist as much as I used to, but when I do it is flawless with Auctiva, no issues at all ever.

the free auction listings have boosted my sales. Or so it seems. Since eBay says they want to increase auctions perhaps they just don't give the BIN items as much exposure. I wouldn't put anything past these unscrupulous SOBs. I'd like to hit the Powerball and start and promote an auction site like eBay USED to be! they'd be out of business in no time!

by: thepaperguy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 16 14:56:00 2014

Here are three sites that you can use to find category numbers. I like the first one best. None are as convenient as what eBay used to provide. Of course, there may be errors in these. Use at your own risk. Good luck

h
ttp://faq.frooition.com/ebay_categories.php

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Thu Oct 16 18:50:46 2014

sickandtired:
It should have been relatively easy to list at Bonanza.
If there was any problem just drop them an email and ask them to look at the particular listing.
They could point out exactly what was missing or needed to to be added.
I remember there is something at Bonanza about disabling RSS feed at Ebay if you are listing on both sites. I did that. And I often have identical items at both sites without changing the wording of the title. There never seems to be a problem.

by: Sorbet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 17 00:24:22 2014

@ellisdtripp

If you're looking for an alternative auction site that's like the old ebay, closest I've found is onlineauction.com (OLA).  Nice interface, and they pride themselves on honest and seller-friendly.