Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Sept 29 2013 19:35:46

eBay Buyers and Sellers Frustrated by Recurring Photo Glitch

eBay sellers were again stymied as they listed items on Sunday thanks to a glitch that prevented them from uploading photos (or that "disappeared" the photos after uploading), but buyers are frustrated as well. The problem appears to be identical to the glitch that occurred a week ago.

As noted in covering last week's glitch, the problem is happening on eBay's busiest day of the week, but because it's a Sunday, it appears to get less attention from eBay staff.

The problem is especially apparent when sorting search results by "Newly Listed."

As with last week, the eBay Picture Hosting discussion board was full of reports from sellers experiencing the problem, but again, eBay failed to post a report on its Systems Announcement board.

Some sellers began reporting intermittent problems on Wednesday - "I upload them and then they disappear, some do not upload, others upload and then go away," wrote one seller. "Sick of trying." Or perhaps those reports stemmed from latent issues from last Sunday's glitch.

EcommerceBytes readers reported the problem again on the Ecommerce EKG board. But it's not just sellers who are frustrated by the glitch - buyers are frustrated as well.

"I'm having this issue as well, not as a seller but as a buyer. I'm shopping right now on Ebay and half the photos of items I'm trying to look at are not showing up when I click through to the listings. Am just saving them in my watchlist to look at later, but not good if I'm interested in buying an item that's ending before Ebay gets this fixed. Ebay, I need to see photos to know what I'm buying!"

Let us know if you're having an issue by giving the report a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on Ecommerce EKG, where reports are flooding in, and let us know how it impacts you in the comments below.

Perminate Link for eBay Buyers and Sellers Frustrated by Recurring Photo Glitch   eBay Buyers and Sellers Frustrated by Recurring Photo Glitch

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Sep 29 19:57:26 2013

Mine seems to be working ok now, just did a couple re-lists.

Although there are still a few missing photos on my searches for newly listed items, it is much better than this afternoon when most photos were missing.

by: NullApps This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 19:58:50 2013

There is also another photo gallery glitch one of my subscribers has where it seems all his listings are broken.  These are listings that have been active for over a year but the worst part is it only becomes obvious they are broken when you relist them.  I suspect another third party app or Turbo Lister caused the breakage several months ago but it makes no sense for eBay to not be able to recover it given that all the images are technically valid.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 20:08:26 2013

So  nice when Fleabag has all these glitches...We just find the off button on the computer and go fishing...

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 20:44:43 2013

I'm just scared to death that after the new user agreement update of October 26 some sort of glitch will cause a sellers' listings not to be seen at all. Wait...I forgot...that's not a glitch, that's ebay's new policy granting itself permission to hide sellers' listings. I'm so relieved it's not just another technical glitch.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Sep 29 21:47:53 2013

So ebay shuts down 400 servers for the green cause (really to save JD a few million in money spent), Cassini hiding sellers listings to give buyers what ebay WANTS them to see in search, and sellers huge mega pixel required photos that are sure to take up tons of space and what do you have? Now that we have Baintree, I mean Braintree at $800 million acquisition, ebay has to get, I mean, squeeze as much money from sellers as possible. All these glitches mean sellers use up all their free listings and then have to start paying ebay listing fees to not have items show up in search. A vicious cycle sellers are in.

Of course there is never a system announcement. It may cost ebay money and fixing anything also costs money so .....

by: midcenturygallery This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 21:56:54 2013

I've been making it a point lately to list my items in 2 categories to get double the invisibility.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Sep 29 22:11:11 2013

eBay continues to hold their sellers to increasingly high standards while at the same time offering those sellers little in the way of quality and consistency. The value proposition on eBay is steadily declining while fees continue to rise.

The eBay customer service statement " It's a big site and "glitches" are bound to happen" is a tiresome excuse for pi$$ poor service.

As had been said many times by many posters in the past, eBay needs to cease the endless unnecessary changes and take the time necessary to make repairs to their crumbling IT systems so that sellers have a consistent and "glitch" free platform on which to place listings which may or may not be seen by buyers.

With the holiday season fast approaching, eBay should place a complete moratorium on site changes and use the programmers time to get their house in order with the goal being a "glitch" free holiday season for both buyers and sellers.

Of course since management does not care about the seller experience, expectations of a "glitch" free holiday season are totally unrealistic.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Sep 29 22:28:35 2013

Ebay is attempting to weed out still more sellers by making it as difficult and time consuming as possible tio list or relist.

If these really are "glitches" -- which I seriously doubt -- then ebay must be hiring from the bottom 10% of Pacific Rim tech graduates who are then being trained by ebya's slovenly, lazy, and arrogant tech management team.

It's no wonder that ebay is and always has been the tech joke of Silicon Valley.

EVERY DAY it's something. EVERY DAY. And it's getting worse every month. Sooner or later the entire platform will come crumbling down from the sheer ineptitude, arrogance, and inconpetence that characterizes ebay manement from top to bottom.

Ho, FIX YOUR MARKETPLACES SO WE CAN SELL!

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Sep 29 23:23:05 2013

JD's mindset from his thinking days is to NOT spend a dime on improving and fixing the marketplace. $800 million yes, marketplace no. Remember where this guy came from, the Bain of destruction. Take over companies, tear them a part, lay off employees and sell off piece by piece to monetize everything to the fullest. Kind of like a soylent green reference where ''soylent green is people'' or ''people are money''.

by: midcenturygallery This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 23:23:46 2013

Well I see what they were working on now. The zoom in photos they look nice so hopefully they will make up for all the revenue I lost from the implementation. It would have been nice of them to announce hey for a week or two your photos may not work so if you're thinking about taking some time off have fun. Instead it's like how about ya go ahead and list a million things while we do what it is we do.

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 23:39:13 2013

When I called support I got a message saying they knew about the photo problem. Second Sunday, what jerks they are.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 23:57:32 2013

Woo- Hoo- Nice Glitch ebay 15 days before your next quarterly report.
Hardee-Har-Har.
MH
PS: JD: Better get the MOTLEY FOOL ON THIS QUICK!

by: ebaytestdummy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 00:38:25 2013

Ina,

Please inquire to ebay about the actual coverage they have in their technical support department to cover problems or ''glitches''.

The answer may astound you. It isn't 24/7 tech department coverage; they go ''home'' and don't deal with problems after a certain point in the day (evening).

The site isn't covered (except I would hope), for complete outage or emergency type ''on call'' situations.  No lie. I called on a week end a few months ago about a listing clearly showing a techinical glitch. (rep experienced the same issue replicating the problem)
He (CS) then told me not to expect any resolution until Monday.  The people in the tech department were getting ready to leave and ''go home''.

No 24/7 staff to cover these issues on an ecommerce site the size of ebay?

Unbelievable.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Sep 30 02:25:42 2013

Ebay's attitude once again demonstrates their disdain and disrepect for their customers.

They act as if they're doing their ungrateful customers a really big favor if they fix problems THEY created in a timely and urgent manner.

You can bet your bippy that if said glitch was charging sellers $0.00 FVFs, no one would be leaving the premises until it was fixed and culprit beheaded.

Lazy, arrogant, narcissistic, sociopathic, incompetent management with standards whatsoever.

A truly despicable lot.

by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 03:07:54 2013

If I log on and click on eBay the first page is so full of items that I can scroll and scroll and NEVER get to the bottom of the page? Could this be part of the picture problem with hundreds of items I do not wish to see????

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 30 08:00:09 2013

The other day I ran a search for a Brooks Brothers tuxedo just to see the complete listings. Instead of showing me tuxedos, I got many thousands of Brooks Brothers items and not one was a tuxedo.

How's that for a best match?  Should be called "best mess". If this is the experience buyers are seeing when they search, what is the point of shopping on eBay.

I recall within the last year that a friend of mine was on a Delta Airlines flight and they were offering free wireless log-in to eBay.  He because so frustrated at not being able to find what he was looking for after a 10 minute search that he logged off. He said it was showing him everything EXCEPT what he was looking for. He is a regular Amazon shopper.

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 09:39:49 2013

I've been dealing with this for over a month. I use Turbolister and self host images.

I hate the lightbox hover over thing and just use the link to the picture in the left corner and use full size images inline in my listing.

The inline ones always show.

The one where ebay copies the link and hosts it seems to randomly disappear. One of the key things that happens though is in turbolister, something causes it to change from self hosting to ebay picture services and also click picture pack.

I'll select all my listings, and rechoose "self hosting" and refresh.

It will fix several of the broken images, and the rest won't sync because the image link disappears and I have to readd the image and resync.

I even have some new listings that give me the "gallery picture error" even though the image is SHOWING RIGHT THERE IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER BOX.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 30 10:09:33 2013

Last night I was looking at what particular items were being listed for and noticed that a number of listings had white squares with gray outlines of a camera instead of a photo. One listing had a photo, camera outline, camera outline, and photo. I thought that was quite strange, so I clicked on the first camera outline, and a photo showed up in the main photo area. So it might be that all the photos are really there, just "disguised."

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 10:49:28 2013

Anyone who is ''counting'' on this years holiday sales to help financially will be in for a big surprise. With all the changes- the only sellers that will be shown are th ''diamond'' and of course the chinese sh-----tt.
Better start listing on every other  site today and just hope for the best.
Think maybe this holiday season will be the end on small sellers - all by design.  Don't show any listings. The few sales that come through will be by the hard work of thieves searching for only small sellers that will end up getting the money back and keeping your item..
Better odds of extra money by buying lottery tickets.

by: gitasan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 11:52:58 2013

I listed 6 items last night and saw that pictures were not loading. I looked again this morning and only 2 did not have pictures. i was able to fix quickly but that is not the point! I paid for listings and they should work.
As for "stale" listing losing pictures I just noticed that as eBay did not let you know it happens. Just what I want to do is review all 500 listings to see if they show up properly. Just in time for holiday rush.