Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 25 2013 22:35:51

New eBay Billing Agreement and Missing Performance Data

eBay sellers are reporting problems with their seller dashboard and are also questioning a new billing agreement they are being asked to accept.

On the Seller Dashboard, sellers are encountering a message that says their performance data is "unavailable." And under the "Seller Standing" section, a message states, "We currently cannot display this information. Please check again later." (See report on Ecommerce EKG.)

One seller said eBay Customer Service had confirmed it was an issue effecting all sellers but provided no time frame for a fix. While the disappearance of the seller performance data appears to be a glitch, it follows on the heels of eBay's decision to eliminate the Policy Compliance section of the Seller Dashboard.

The reader noted that when eBay removed the Policy Compliance section, eBay customer service initially advised sellers it was a display glitch. "With eBay telling sellers that the performance display is a glitch, it is impossible to know for sure whether it is a glitch, or if it is something we will hear about in a few days as an unannounced system change."

Another mystery sellers are dealing with today is a new billing agreement they are being asked to agree to before they can make changes to listings.

=======================

We've updated the automated payment method Billing Agreement. Please review it below.

"The Billing Agreement you previously set up for your eBay account is being updated to make it easier for you to manage your eBay charges. With the updates, all charges related to your eBay selling activity, including eBay Buyer Protection charges, will be consolidated onto your monthly invoice. eBay will charge these amounts to your automatic payment method on file.

This eBay Billing Agreement ("Billing Agreement") replaces the previous Billing Agreement you accepted that set up your automatic payment on file for amounts you owe eBay.

If you reside in the United States, this Billing Agreement is between you and eBay Inc. If you reside in countries within the European Union, this Billing Agreement is between you and eBay Europe S.a r.l.; if you reside in India, this Billing Agreement is between you and eBay India Private Limited; if you reside in any other countries, this Billing Agreement is between you and eBay International AG. The relevant eBay entity is referred to in this Billing Agreement as "eBay." The eBay site refers to any eBay website you transact on.

Authorization to charge your payment method
By agreeing to these terms, you authorize eBay to charge your payment method for:

all charges related to your selling activity on any eBay site, including without limitation, seller fees, shipping labels printed on the eBay site, reimbursements to eBay for buyer refunds, charges associated with any eBay program you use and any other amounts that you authorize eBay to charge, and

- any amounts you owe eBay or its affiliated entities under any eBay Buyer Protection ("eBP") policy globally (collectively, "Authorized Payments").

You can cancel this Billing Agreement or change your payment method by contacting us. In addition, if you change the currency of your eBay account or if you change the website of registration of your eBay account (for example, you change registration from eBay.com to eBay.ca), this Billing Agreement may be cancelled and you may need to again specify your automatic payment method for your account in the new currency or for your new website of registration. In the event this Billing Agreement is cancelled for any reason, eBay may suspend your ability to use your eBay account and you remain obligated to pay eBay for any and all unpaid amounts. eBay may amend this Billing Agreement by providing you with 30 days' advance notice via the eBay Message Center or by email and an opportunity to opt-out of any such amendments. eBay may also amend this Billing Agreement in other manners consistent with applicable law.

By clicking Agree and Continue, you agree to the above terms and conditions."
=======================

eBay recently announced changes to its User Agreement that take effect in October, but there was no mention of a new Billing Agreement in that announcement. Sellers are uncertain as to what exactly they are agreeing to. Seller reaction included the following:

"Was updating an item when out of the blue came a new eBay Billing Agreement. Not previous mention, just this big screen before I could make changes to listing."

"Have you seen this yet? I just got this message when went to launch a listing on eBay. I chose "review later" instead of accepting. I am not sure what I am actually agreeing to. Do you think that I am allowing them to do as they please as it relates to returns? When I went to launch the listing this message popped up and but I did not accept it."

"I just finished listing an item and I get this "We've updated .....Billing Agreement.  Please review it below".  But I have questions.  I looked all over the Help and Resource sections and can't find anything.  My questions:

1  Will Ebay continue to send an invoice notice each month about two weeks before, and will Ebay continue to take the amount of the invoice out of my automated payment method once each month, like they do now, on or about the first day of each month?

2  I print my shipping labels by clicking on the yellow "print shipping label" link in the email I get that says "Congratulations, your item sold, get ready to ship".  The link takes me to a page where I print the label.  The amount is taken out of my Paypal account, and if there is not enough in there to pay for the label, Paypal will get the money from my alternate method.  Will this change, or continue as it is?  Because the updated Billing Agreement seems to imply that shipping costs will now become part of the invoice."

Let us know what questions you have about the new Billing Agreement, and we'll try to get answers from eBay.

Perminate Link for New eBay Billing Agreement and Missing Performance Data   New eBay Billing Agreement and Missing Performance Data

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 25 22:57:49 2013

Ebay seems to be experiencing major technical difficulties on an almost daily basis in important areas of the site. Is this by design to implement or test things that sellers are probably not going to be too happy with, or is ebay under attack from hackers and will not admit it?

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 25 23:12:15 2013

I accepted that with the attitude if they screw me, I am finally gone.
Donahoe will be long remembered for destroying an incredible business.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Sep 25 23:33:34 2013

eBay has several issues that management needs to seriously address. Corporate Transparency, Corporate Integrity, and Corporate Accountability have been eroding since John Donahoe became eBay's CEO. Sellers experience even more consternation with their relationship with this company due to the fact that these issues seem to be deteriorating at an ever increasing rate since eBay changed their UA with regard to arbitration.

It seems as though since eBay essentially eliminated users ability to file class action suits against the company, their negative actions have accelerated incredibly.

Since John Donahoe became CEO, daily glitches are concealed from users because of the apparent internal policy of concealing all but the most critical system issues out of fear that admitting the IT infrastructure at eBay is crumbling would have negative implications on the value of eBay stock. Users are deliberately kept in the dark when issues arise.

In cases where users call customer service, they are often told the issue they experience is a glitch. However, in some cases, such as the removal of Policy Compliance metrics on the seller dashboard, users were initially told it was a glitch, only to find out many days later that eBay decided to intentionally deny sellers access to crucial account information which could result in restrictions or suspensions. Hard for sellers to trust a company that will sanction or suspend a seller while concealing the critical underlying issues leading to those actions.

Now customer service says this latest issue is also a glitch, but given eBay's propensity to tell users one thing today and then completely change their tune days later, how are users supposed to believe them?

With eBay having recently changes yet again the User Agreement, it seems that eBay either forgot to include the information in the latest UA update, or simply decided to confound and confuse users with yet another policy change that seems ambiguous at best.

I blame eBay's intolerably inept management for the flurry of issues and policy changes. There appears to be a serious lack of communication and coordination from one part of this company to another.

When management is as broken as eBay management appears to be, it is impossible to take their word at face value on any issue. Perhaps the intent is to so confuse their users and leave them so bullied by perpetual policy revisions that we all simply agree to subject ourselves to whatever eBay decides they feel like doing.

I guess when management is insulated from any legal repercussions by virtue of preventing law suits they can simply do as they see fit when they see fit, and include the close my account link for anyone who objects.

This management team is steamrolling itself into alienating their user base which is the reason they can now grow sales without accounting gimmicks, and, they are too blind to see it.

To reward eBay for their many failures, lack of honesty and bad acts, I will make one more purchase on eBay to use the eBay $40.00 worth of eBay bucks I have coming in October.

After that, my buying account is going on strike for the remainder of 2013. I am not searching or buying holiday gifts on eBay. I am not sourcing or purchasing inventory on eBay. I am not searching or purchasing supplies on eBay.  Instead, I will spend time searching and buying on sites like Bonanza, eCrater, eBid and the rest of the small struggling sites.

Anyone want to join me?

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 00:50:10 2013

''Ebay makes a few mistakes now and then, but how many mistakes would YOU make if were tasked with changing the code?'' Are you serious?

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Sep 26 01:39:09 2013

Bloggo,

Obviously another eBay shill. Any IT person worth their salt would know how to make any coding changes and put in the sand box for a complete test before making it public.

Bill

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Sep 26 02:24:52 2013

What we have here IMHO is ebay slowly making the seller dashboard disappear. This will leave sellers completely susceptible to abuse, control and suspension from ebay. Yes, I was told it was a glitch too when I contacted customer service and told the standard ''this is the first they heard of this problem''. The lack of transparency will become even thicker and sellers should prepare themselves to be completely in the dark. Ebay customer service is already useless and so is the Lithium community boards. I am so thankful for ecommercebytes since this is the ONLY place to find out what is really going on with ebay.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 03:22:08 2013

This afternoon I revised one of my listings, and got this ''Billing Agreement'' pop-up.  What disturbed me most was the part:

''If the payment of amounts owed through your payment method fails or cannot be completed for any reason, you remain obligated to pay eBay for all unpaid amounts and you authorize eBay to charge any other payment methods you have on file with eBay (such as a PayPal account, bank account or another credit card or debit card) for Authorized Payments.''

It scares me that Ebay has access to our bank account through our PayPal account. I know this has been true for years, but now it sounds like Ebay is saying they have full access to debit our bank account for whatever amount they want, whenever they want. Their Buyer protection sounds like they can refund Buyers, no questions asked, and then take the money from the Seller anyway they want. I know they say they will just add the amount to our invoice, but I don't trust them.

Ebay has too many ''glitches'' and surprises lately. I don't sell expensive stuff, but it makes me nervous that they want me to sign a legal agreement that gives them unconditional access to my PayPal account, credit card, and bank account.

Usually, I just shrug and sign their agreements, but I didn't sign this one. I don't know what I will do. Ebay is getting too aggressive!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Sep 26 06:15:14 2013

Today... when I was ready to list new products on my website... the only thing I needed to do was, well, simply list item on my website.

No popups. No interruptions. No policy-changes. No games. No surprises. No frustrations. No gotchas!

Imagine that!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Sep 26 07:30:34 2013

Ric, you are doing just what we did over a year ago---stopped purchasing ANYTHING on eBay.  We can not control eBay policies, but we can control where we shop and we refuse to shop on eBay until they stop this ridiculousness.

As for this new "Billing Agreement", if it is just a billing agreement I am fine with that, but eBay needs to be transparent and let us know what we are really signing up for.  Is there a hidden agenda here?

These every other week user agreements are over the top.  And as Ric stated, they simply confuse sellers.  Based on what I read on the boards and blogs, most sellers have become very distrusting of eBay, well, except for the Kool Aid drinkers and eBay cheerleaders who will be sure to be gurgling the last drop of Kool Aid and waving their pom poms as the eBay Titanic slowly sinks to the bottom.

And Annie, thank you for your comment.  It is indeed refreshing to list items on one's own website and not to have to deal with the stress of eBay.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 09:34:04 2013

eBay is overreaching again. I stopped buying at eBay last spring. Try Etsy for selling. When I set up there in 2009, it was unproductive but this time, my shop is selling--and not just low end items either. Hope springs eternal.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Sep 26 11:58:15 2013

"Sellers are uncertain as to what exactly they are agreeing to."
DO NOT USE EBAY FOR ANY REASON.
Your credit score will be ruined.
GO GET A NORMAL JOB.
I am an astute interpretor of Legaleeze.
I can tell you, definitively, this is an agreement YOU DO NOT WANT TO SIGN.
It has already been established that Ebay HAS NO ENCRYPTION site-wide. Couple that with this "agreement" and you are about to meet head on with your own personal Economic Suicide.
Take all your junk and, rather than list it on Ebay, either start selling on ETSY or have a good old fashioned "Going Out Of Business" yard sale. NOW !

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 13:06:14 2013

Call the FTC.
MH

by: subsonic17 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 14:19:33 2013

"In the case of eBP charges in excess of $2,000, eBay will send you a notice at least 10 days in advance of charging your payment method. eBay may charge your payment method on a one-time, sporadic or recurring basis as these charges are incurred. If there are insufficient credit/funds to enable an Authorized Payment charge, you may be charged a fee by your financial institution."

sporadic? lol
So in other words, your account gets hijacked or whatever, ebay will drain your bank account and leave you with ruination. Who would give ebay carte blanche to their bank account with all the glitches, incompetence and account take overs or hacking the place regularly suffers from?

You would be one "glitch" from doom at any moment. Ebay has too many glitches and security problems to risk that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Sep 26 14:40:41 2013

The thing you have to remember about eBay is that "they are just a venue."

You are giving them legal permission to charge you for anything they deem, and take a payment even beyond the reach of PreyPal.

THE HEAT HAS BEEN TURNED UP UNDER YOUR WATER POT LITTLE FROGS!

In the old days you used to have to send a check or money order every month and customers didn't have Best Match, your stuff just went to the top before it SOLD.

There were no Detailed Seller Ratings. We had no idea what all the buyers were thinking.

A man once said that in the future you would not recognize eBay.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 15:37:06 2013

"THE HEAT HAS BEEN TURNED UP UNDER YOUR WATER POT LITTLE FROGS!" ~ I love it :)

by: lemonsandlemonade This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 16:54:40 2013

I have to wonder what all the Managed Returns and this new billing agreement will do to the casual seller that ebay seems to have been trying to cultivate- ''sell your stuff so you can buy more stuff''.

They sell their stuff, happily spend their profits, and then later (sometimes much later) comes the SNAD or Unauthorized Use charge and now ebay or paypal is reaching into their account to refund the buyer.

Is this type of seller a problem for ebay?

People who are full time sellers (and probably part time sellers also) are prepared and allocate to expect a certain percentage of refunds.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Thu Sep 26 21:00:19 2013

And Now > Observe Ebay's Home Page is now missing 2 or 3 links in the upper right corner. "Community" and a few other useless ones.
Only "My Ebay" and the shopping cart remain.
Just got a thought, maybe JD took the advice and left, only the programmers remain  :o)
HEY GUYS / GALS > Get the take rate back down to 2% please  :o) (of the selling price only).

by: lemonsandlemonade This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 21:39:23 2013

@ the end

Sell and Customer Support moved over to the left side.

Clicking on them, Sell only gives you the start of a listing.

Customer Support has links at the bottom to:  Community, Announcements, Seller Information Center, etc.

It had been confounding me all day.  I guess you just have to start hunting and pecking to find what you are looking for :(

by: agingmama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 23:13:38 2013

Well, well, well...here it is again.  Just as I thought maybe they were getting their act together, they hit us with this ''New Billing agreement''  I check my bank acct every morning and now I will cringe at the thought on what they may take out,
I have been using the ebay shipping and using another form of payment for my postage, like Bill me later...well now they put a stop to that and will take it out of my paypal acct...not so fast there...no you will not!
I will not ship one more item thru ebay again.  I have other options and I will use them even if it costs me more.
I have a system that works for me and I want to have the choice. They have taken advantage of us for so long they just feel like they can simply screw us anyway they want.
I am one that will not be buying on ebay...Amazon, Bonanza and others will get my business...also I am passing the word on to as many people as I can...like all my customers....
I will sell my inventory and then I am moving on...

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 26 23:46:15 2013

In addition to calling the FTC, would recommended printing out several different articles by ina and blogs on here and SENDING them snail mail to the FTC and to investigative newspaper reporters. Also provide online links to these articles and blogs here on every online blog or financial site that your visit or post on. So far, i have posted info about ebay on Yahoo Financial. Bloomberg, Trefis, WSJ (Wall Street Journal), The Motley Fool. You can join any of them for free and use your Facebook accoubt to join many of them. Then you can blog and post links there to these articles.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]