Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Aug 23 2013 07:53:56

eBay Outage Followed by Technical Issues Friday Morning

eBay experienced an outage in which users were unable to sign in to the site, and users say they continue to have problems with certain features this morning. Sellers are concerned about the loss of income the outage and resulting glitches are causing. "Sellers pay extra money for there listings but people cant bid on it," wrote a seller in the early hours of this morning. "Your items cant be bidded on,,thanks ebay!!!!!!!!!!"

Buyers were also displeased. "How long is it going to be till they get this problem fix and does anyone know whoelse to contact," asked an eBay shopper. "I have a cart full of stuff to pay for and other items to pay for and it won't let me do anything.  What a hassle!"

Reports came flooding in overnight, and UK publication the Register picked up on the story and said it was told by eBay UK that its site was undergoing "general maintenance which has been previously announced." But users are used to the weekly maintenance window, and technical problems are extending well beyond the scheduled maintenance period.

While eBay posted nothing on the eBay.com Systems Board about the post-maintenance technical issues, its UK site posted a message on its announcement board this morning (23 August, 2013, 11:45AM BST) to say that the maintenance work "has run longer than planned" and promising updates.

eBay UK also posted a message on its Facebook page, "We are sorry that intermittent problems with eBay have continued for longer than planned. We are working hard to resolve the issue, and will provide a further update very soon."

eBay Australia tweeted, "eBay.com.au  is experiencing intermittent issues - we're working to resolve the matter promptly and regret any inconvenience."

Sellers reported the problem on the Ecommerce EKG board and have been sending emails to EcommerceBytes noting the problems they're experiencing. "Ebay seems to be down in many areas of the site," said one. "We can not log in."

One reader kept us apprised via email:

4:34 am EST: Unable to login to Ebay this morning. First time since 1998 ! Sign in page keeps reappearing. I'm locked out !

4:45 am: Well, I finally got into my Ebay account WITHOUT the sign in window ! ALL OF MY PURCHASE HISTORY HAS BEEN ERASED ! I go to see my watch list and I'm thrown back tot he sign in window, from which I CANNOT SIGN IN !

5:51 am: As of 5:50 am today Ebay has NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT. Clicking on the customer support link brings you to a window with the message " We're making some updates and will be back soon. Thanks for your patience."

6:59 am: Apparently "The Crisis" at Ebay is over. I'm now able to get in to my Ebay modules. It's 6:58am.

A few hours after eBay's maintenance period was scheduled to end, sellers were once again able to log in, but reported that many features were unavailable to them, including the ability to send invoices; accessing complete information from the seller dashboard; and the ability to access the powerseller board.

"Of course, there's no announcement up," wrote one reader. "The standard "systems announcement" is up, speaking in future tense about the regular maintenance that should have ended 3+ hours ago." A user on the eBay boards wrote, "We'd all have fewer problems as buyers and sellers if eBay would just acknowledge site problems and keep people informed."

The August 23rd eBay incident follows a rare Amazon outage earlier this month that lasted nearly 10 hour.

Are you having issues? Keep us posted on the Ecommerce EKG board and in the comments below.

Update 8/23/13: eBay is back online and responded to my inquiries about the outage. eBay will be honoring its site outage policy, it said - get the full scoop here.

Perminate Link for eBay Outage Followed by Technical Issues Friday Morning   eBay Outage Followed by Technical Issues Friday Morning

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Aug 23 08:41:05 2013

It is EBAY's inability to PROFESSIONALLY run an eCommerce website that makes it look third rate, NOT the Great used / collectible merchandise, or any of the sellers.
In my 15 years of eCommerce, Ebay top brass get FIRST PRIZE for running the most unreliable, disingenuous site on the web. All the pointless / useless Paypal forcing, Buyer & Seller Protecting voodoo, can't and won't change this.
The CEO & Pals must go.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bad Hair Day

Fri Aug 23 10:01:50 2013

It looks as though they are implementing some ''improvements''. For example I noticed a HUGE Blue ''Bid Now' button that replaces the ''bid now' link under actions. It was so glaring that it completely eclipsed the Sellers listing. It is intermittently appearing & disappearing. I just noticed another ''improvement'' to the Categories page...which looked ''plain vanilla'' including a 'tell us what you think' link. It appears as though they have also gradually changed the red door icon for Stores on the listing page to blue. That change has been happening gradually over the past couple of weeks. There are threads on the Stores discussion board about it. My guess is that the red door was pulling the Buyers eye away from their strategically placed paid advertising directly below 'Sellers Information'. Hold tight Sellers, because I have no doubt that their 'improvements' will be well worth any lost sales revenue :-O

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Aug 23 10:16:12 2013

Is there a DSR or Guardrail system for eBay?  I'd like to give the lowest rating possible.

Ebay expect a high level of service from their sellers that they are not able to deliver themselves.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Aug 23 10:30:22 2013

I can not list.  Par for the course.

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 11:38:44 2013

17:30 over here and still nothing that works. I can sign in. Have access to selling manager pro and my messages but that's it.

I made 2 sales today and I don't know how. When I try to access a category I get a message page nog responding. When doing a search I get 0 results.

Absolutely nothing works in IE. Some features work in Chrome/Firefox

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Aug 23 12:06:47 2013

“eBay expects sellers to consistently provide service that results in a high level of buyer satisfaction.”—eBay …
By this measure, eBay consistently fails miserably its own standard … http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: CypressC This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 12:13:07 2013

12:12pm eastern, still unable to list items or view sales data on past sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Aug 23 12:16:02 2013

I can't get into Auctiva now and it is reported on the EKG. Do not know if this is related to eBay's problem or something elase.
Yesterday Nasdaq was down for over 2 hours. They aare blaming the same problem that eBay, Amazon etc. have been having since they are building software over software and are overloading the system. They are blaming the bottom line as the problem since they will not spend to completely update the system because it will cost too much money and hurt the bottom line.
They claim it was a software glitch and not a cyber attack but it seems strange that these problems are showing up on mega sites across the whole spectrum.

Bill

by: mmellinger This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 12:52:21 2013

And still not a peep out of them in the form of an announcement saying anything's wrong, or that they're working on it.

There's more news about it here and on the BBC than on eBay itself.

by: ThoughtFull This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 13:20:19 2013

eBay was up and running but is down again as of 1:15 PM Eastern Daylight time in US.  This does not feel like a maintenance issue.

by: scissors This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 13:31:41 2013

Anyone else see the announcement on their seller dashboard - '' coming soon opened cases will count against you''. I think it said March 2014 it sort of flashed by me. It was fast and now it does not come back if I click on the dashboard. I would love to have this one clarified - does this mean every case counts - I mean I have had cases opened where an item was not even purchased - this is crazy. So now they are going to count it all up and use this against us as well. I am not liking what I read at all. Also had a case opened this morning from a sale that was 45 days ago - how long do people have to open these things?

by: froggie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 13:39:57 2013

@ThoughtFull

It's still morning here in Seattle and I'm able to log in, relist and print shipping labels. I am not, however, able to log in to the discussion boards. There is definitely something afoot in ebay-land. This isn't just maintenance, it is some sort of 'improvement' and we all know how that goes. The red store icon is now blue. That must mean less air. That is definitely true for my store. My store has been suffocating for months now.

However, as Bill mentioned, maybe this is more sinister, as in some sort of attack or internet relay problem. It is interesting that my shop back end seems to be working fine and I am on the west coast.

@scissors

I saw that this morning for the first time, too. I went back to see it again, and it is gone. The opened cases counting against you was part of the fall seller update, wasn't it? And I do believe that it's been ages since buyers have had 45 days to open a case on ebay. Isn't it longer when a buyer opens a case on Paypal?

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 13:41:27 2013

''A monkey could drive this train.'' - Meg Whitman said about running eBay in its early days.
eBay should hire a monkey, it would probably do a better job.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Aug 23 13:59:18 2013

my announcement said starting APRIL of 2013. LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Aug 23 14:03:46 2013

Ebay went down at about 12:30 am PDT.

When I checked my dashboard this morning, I found two pop up boxes. One box said my performance was "standard" while the dashboard itself correctly showed my TRS status.

The larger of two boxes stated that beginning April 1 buyer protection cases would be a factor in determining seller rating and also included a list of countries where this would be applicable. It was unclear whether this included the US.

Of course, the safe assumption is that it will because The Ho's Seller Genocide program is designed NOT to improve anything but ebay's revenue by stealing discounts from sellers.

The TRS discount program is possibly the largest bait and switch crime ever perpetrated by an American business.

Ebay management is a vicious, sociopathic criminal syndicate deserving of life prison sentences in the worst federal prison in the system.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Aug 23 14:05:36 2013

This all could be a DoSA and the IT idiots at eBay are probably running rampant blocking the ISP addresses that are causing the problem.
Still can not log into Auctiva I keep getting the message: The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading. on FF and IE just gives the error message that the server could not be found.
The community forum on Auctiva is up and Mike posted the following:

Hi Community,

We have more information we wanted to share with you regarding our current site outage that is affecting Auctiva and Auctiva Commerce.

Our hosting provider experienced a major power outage this morning that caused failures to all their customers.

Although power has been restored some of our networking equipment is still not responding. We are working with our provider and also have technicians en route to assist in identifying the condition of the networking equipment.

We are hoping to know more about their progress in the next hour and will update you when more information is available.

This issue was beyond our control, but we know that it is deeply affecting our customers. We are sorry, once again, for the inconvenience this is causing.

-Mike

Hopefully they get this fixed soon so I can list my free auctions for today on eBay.

Bill

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Aug 23 14:10:14 2013

Ming,

My dashboard still shows Top Rated and I still have the link to check my performance standards. It could be that people who have had problems might not be able to access their PS so they can fix it and could be in line to be booted. JMO

Bill

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Aug 23 14:11:23 2013

Scissors, by 2014 we hope to be completely off of eBay.  It is clearly what they want, but it will be extra nice to sever the cord.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Aug 23 14:16:57 2013

Froggie, PayPal cases can be filed far later.  We had one filed 6 months after transaction. Buyer stated that his credit card had be used without his permission.  Item was delivered 3 days after the order was placed and the delivery confirmation to prove it.  Needless to say he lost that case, but it was filed all the same.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Aug 23 14:36:53 2013

As of 11:30 am PT, still having problems listing. Getting :
"This feature is temporarily unavailable" message.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]