Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Aug 15 2013 14:29:49

eBay Forces Sellers into Accepting Returns, Deja Vu

eBay sellers report they are being switched into what is supposed to be an optional program called managed returns, forcing them to accept returns from buyers for any reason and going against their shop policies. The same "glitch" occurred to some sellers in February.

The complaints began pouring in this week beginning on Wednesday. "Ebay's opted us in to managed returns we did not make this choice," said a seller on one eBay forum thread. "CS say's it a glitch but we are unable to opt-out. This has also been reported on ecommercebytes. You can choose to opt-out in site preferences by choosing NO but it just reverts back to opt-in."

Sellers who were unable to revert the settings were worried about the cost of such a glitch. "I've been trying in vain to change my settings from YES to NO, also," said one eBay seller, "and the darn EDIT button does nothing, even after you're careful to choose SAVE.. If anyone figures out a way to actually change/Edit the YES please do share with the Board, too. Thanks! And how long will this latest 'glitch' last? And what will happen with any forced-upon-us 'managed returns' that may occur in the meantime?"

Sellers are also reporting the problem directly to EcommerceBytes and through the Ecommerce EKG board. "eBay customer service just confirmed that an unknown number of sellers have been opted IN to eBay's managed return process without their consent. Attempts to opt OUT are futile as the system does not accept the input when sellers select NO in the edit preference option. eBay estimates a fix may be 30 to 90 days away. Time frame quoted is unacceptable, but of course, sellers are left with no other options."

On another eBay board, a seller wondered why eBay didn't notify sellers if it was a known issue. "Why don't they post a memo letting sellers know? I think I will put that in the suggestion box.  If they have a known technical issue it just seems it would be easier to notify people and let them know they are working on it.  They will probably get a thousand phone calls about this today."

We've sent an inquiry to eBay and will update this blog post if we learn more.

Update: 8/16/13: eBay says the problem is only with the settings display - see today's Newsflash story for details.

Perminate Link for eBay Forces Sellers into Accepting Returns, Deja Vu   eBay Forces Sellers into Accepting Returns, Deja Vu

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Aug 15 14:51:38 2013

When managed returns was announced, I absolutely opted out in my eBay account preferences as I do not trust eBay to manage any facet of my business.

I was surprised when checking my preferences last night to see that I had been opted in without my permission.

I contacted eBay customer service, and was told this was a known issue effecting numerous eBay sellers. What was most outrageous was the fact that the CSA claimed it could be as long as 90 days before the "glitch" was fixed.

So i bit*hed and bit*ched some more, when the CSA then said the issue would be escalated for faster action by eBay's tech team. The new time frame???... 30 days!!!  One has to wonder why this particular glitch will take so long to reverse, and also about the motives behind this apparent deliberately generated "glitch."

As I do not trust anything eBay says anymore, I do not believe this is a "glitch", but rather, a forced test imposed by eBay in order to generate more artificial revenue?

How does managed returns generate revenue for eBay you ask? Simple, when eBay decides the seller is responsible for return shipping, eBay sends the buyer the shipping label, then bills the seller in the form of a "fee". Fees collected by eBay count as revenue, so the motive behind eBay's lies is clear.

Now, here is a question for a lawyer...  eBay made the managed return process part of the user agreement and afforded users a separate opt out for the managed returns process. Now that it appears that eBay has intentionally reversed sellers wishes by generating a "glitch" which voids the sellers option, is eBay in violation of their own user agreement?  And, if eBay has violated their own user agreement, does the violation void other portions of the UA as well?

If so, sellers who have been forced into managed returns by eBay could then turn around and file a class action against eBay because the UA is now null and void based on eBay's own actions.

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 15:39:38 2013

We just cheacked and we too have been opted into the managed returns program without our authorization. We tried and, yes, you Cannot opt out! We do not accept returns, period!

We also sent in the required letter to opt out of eBay's forced class action BS. Lawyers?

by: ibs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 15:41:28 2013

I opted out right from the get go. I spoke to Ebay CSR earlier today, as I have also been "opted in" with no way out. I was told that if a seller agrees to a 14 day return policy they are automatically opted into managed returns...as of a few weeks ago. They are presently working on an update to the user agreement. CSR emailed me a few links to help understand
http://pages-ebay.com/help/buy/refunds.html and http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/return-process html.
not really helpful. She told me it is now policy, not a glitch or error. She told me it is only for USA sellers and BUYERS. still.....
INFURIATING!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 15 15:45:13 2013

Glitch?  I highly doubt it.

This company continues to sink to new lows.

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 15:45:14 2013

IBS (how oddly appropriate)

That is BS as we accept no returns and were opted into the returns scam.

Oh almost forgot, the eBay's reps lips were moving. Therefore, they were Lying!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 15 15:47:35 2013

Has anyone been keeping up with how many user updates come out yearly?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Aug 15 15:59:47 2013

As I recall, many people posting comments on this site figured it was only a matter of time before managed returns were going to be forced on everyone. Is this another attempt to remove the "noise"? And is the 30-90 day window a way to gauge how many sellers will leave the site?

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Aug 15 16:40:06 2013

I just checked my dormant eBay account to discover that I have also been opted-in WITHOUT MY PERMISSION and with NO NOTICE whatsoever!

What a sleazy and underhanded thing to do!

To verify what others have been describing, I attempted to opt-out, but eBay refuses to allow me to do so. --- I choose ''no'' and then try to save my selection. After 'saving' my preference, I see no error message (but no confirmation message either.)

Next... I expand the ''Return Preferences'' option (located about halfway down the ''My Account / Site Preferences'' page) and NOTHING HAS CHANGED! I'M STILL OPTED-IN.

I'm so relieved that I do not sell at eBay any more!

by: whybuy/freerental This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 17:11:08 2013

I just talked to three different csr's and they are aware of this issue. The are working on a fix that could take weeks or months.

I asked if I will be forced to take these returns since I did not opt into this program. OH YES! The last rep was so excited to tell me that I will be taking all returns with no questions asked!

She said that I will grow to love the program and to just give it a try. I asked about when buyers lie about the item being defective so I have to pay return shipping. She said that a GOOD seller would always pay return shipping no matter what the reason was for the return.

I just sit pulling my hair out wonder why I don't just end these last 450 listings. My husband was begging me to end them again this morning over a buyer that stole an item. He is so sick of seeing me get screwed over. It is a daily thing on eBay anymore.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Aug 15 18:26:14 2013

If you were not checking this what could you be doing?

Oh, selling on Amazon and listing in Everything Else. Yeah, check out what people are selling there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 15 20:40:15 2013

I'm floored.  We have a no return policy.  I just checked, and we too have been opted into this.  I am on the telephone with a CSR now.

And how is it that this fix could take weeks or months.  I'm just not buying that.

Where are the attorneys?

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 20:40:22 2013

I checked our preferences and the same thing- not able to opt out.

Ebay is a serious sack of sh*t, the worse company we have ever dealt with.
Although we hardly ever get returns, I'm going to pull the few remaining listings, I've had it with these disrespectful clowns.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Aug 15 20:53:11 2013

Whether this is true or not, the CSR says that this is being addressed, and just because it is showing that we have opted in, doesn't mean that we have been.

We shall see.

Ina, thank you for this story. I will be looking forward to progress on this one, but I don't know why they are stating that it will take 30+ days to fix.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Aug 15 22:15:04 2013

I'm not an attorney, but I slept in a Holiday Inn last night.
The quickest remedy:

A California seller could file for emergency relief in federal court and ask for an emergency injunction against ebay compelling this gang of thugs and criminals to provide an immediate fix.

by: Ed This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 22:31:06 2013

Why is it that every time there is a glitch it is good for ebay and bad for the seller?

I am glad our store is on vacation for the summer. I think it may be the time to leave ebay before we lose more money.

Next we will see ebay offering Free Returns since that is what the buyers want. I really didn't want to be in the rental business.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 22:48:10 2013

Just checked. No way to opt out. So, per ebay wishes removed the remaining listings that were for sale. All I have to say is good luck to anyone that just purchased an item from me and is going to return. Let them return, will they get a refund - H--L NO. Maybe from ebay pockets - not mine.

by: snowfeet2009 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 22:49:53 2013

I noticed the same problem with 'global shipping' - it all started when I went to a completed listing and chose 'sell similar' - it automatically started OPTING me in for a program I never signed up for - I bet it is the same glitch...

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 22:51:17 2013

@Rexford.  The 30 day plus is a politician strategy - you'll forget about it and accept the change.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 22:53:34 2013

No glitch - done intentionally. How desperate is jd getting?????

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 15 23:01:49 2013

I said this would happen MONTHS ago .... !!!

Its NOT a glitch - thats what the non english speaking cs agents are told to tell people.

Its going to be and is company policy.

eBay does NOT want to be a babysitter (thier words) with returns anymore. Theres no such thing as "no returns" and just like Amazon (who would EVER think that eBay would copy them?????? LOL) you have to take returns if you are a seller on eBay. Amazon is 30 days so 14 is a blessing.

I dont think I was forced in, but I know its comming.

Dont worry, the next step is making 14 into 30 - but thats not schedualed till next yr - but the way JD operates - he could squeeze it into his Holiday/Winter update. That one wil throw out some bone on Seller Protection or some other such nonesence and tighten up the returns.

As eBay is the worlds laziest company - they dont want to handle thier - I mean our customers calling in to complain about wanting to return things but cant.

They will just update the TOS and if you dont click AGREE - it will just exit and you wot be a seller anymore .... THATS how eBay operates in 2013/2014

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  [Next Page]