Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Aug 11 2013 22:30:06

Sellers Report eBay Crackdown

eBay confirmed last week that it recently took action on some below-performance seller accounts. It's not uncommon for waves of seller complaints about crackdowns to surface, and last week, rumor had it that eBay's latest action impacted potentially tens of thousands of sellers.

According to the eBay Seller Performance Standards help page, "eBay expects sellers to consistently provide service that results in a high level of buyer satisfaction. This includes setting and meeting buyer expectations by providing excellent customer service from beginning to end."

eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore told me in an email on Friday, "eBay regularly reviews seller performance and may limit or restrict selling activity for those sellers who do not meet our minimum requirements. Recently, we took action on certain seller accounts that were below performance standards based on a variety of criteria."

eBay relies heavily on buyer ratings to measure sellers' performance, both the feedback rating (positive, neutral or negative) as well as the controversial Detailed Seller Ratings. The performance standards help page gives some indication of what factors go into eBay's standards:

As a seller, you're expected to:

Charge reasonable shipping and handling costs.

Specify shipping costs and handling time in the listing.

Follow through on your return policy.

Respond to buyers' questions promptly.

Be helpful, friendly, and professional throughout a transaction.

Make sure the item is delivered to the buyer as described in the listing.

At the same time, however, sellers point to the accounts of large retailers and brands, accusing eBay of giving "Diamond" sellers more leniency when it comes to seller performance issues.

See Monday's Newsflash news story for details and to read what eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore told me, and let us know if you think such crackdowns are good or bad for the marketplace as a whole.

Perminate Link for Sellers Report eBay Crackdown   Sellers Report eBay Crackdown

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Aug 11 23:14:53 2013

Ebay CRACKS UP. It's just HORRIBLE folks.
I just visited a few categories I hadn't been to since February.
It's mostly all stale merch from 2 - 5 years ago. I don't know how people can afford to leave stuff on continually like that. It's like a wasteland of orphaned junk. And now ALL categories have shrunk from hundreds of items down to barely a few pages of items.
A Very Unhealthy Ebay is what I'm seeing here.
And it's ALL due to CEO Donahoe's interference AKA "Disruption". He disrupted it into uselessness.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 11 23:27:20 2013

There's a fair amount of sellers who don't take their ebay business seriously. Every business needs to be taken seriously, no matter how small.

That said the ''controversial DSR'' problem affects even great sellers.

FWIW we have always done everything the article mentions. We've always answered even inane emails.   Buyers know to the penny what they are going to pay for shipping before they buy.

I definitely have a difference of opinion with some as to what is reasonable shipping and handling. Buyers on ebay want everything cheap, sometimes you are getting it so cheap you can pay a little for shipping.   Ebay Inc. and some buyers likely disagree with me on that.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 11 23:36:45 2013

This sounds like ebay is making a very poor attempt to put a spin on their cut-throat purge that ousted many good decent sellers.

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 11 23:37:04 2013

Once a seller reaches a sales volume of say 1500 plus items a month on ebay DSR's are not really an issue at that point they are pretty much bullet proof
Small seller's, even a seller with around 300 item sold on ebay per month a couple of low DSR's can be pretty painful
This system has sent as many bad seller's packing as good seller's
It's with-out question formed an adversarial relationship with ebay and eroded trust maybe beyond repair

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Aug 11 23:46:26 2013

Maybe I missed something... eBay has standards to which sellers are held to and theoretically, when a seller falls below the minimum standards, action is taken.

So if that is the case, why did eBay go ahead with a sweeping purge by sanctioning what is alleged by some accounts to be 15,000 sellers in one sudden lump sum action?

If eBay was utilizing their announced policy and applying the existing standards, it would be logical (forgive me for using the term logical in an eBay conversation) that sellers would be sanctioned in smaller numbers on a near daily basis as their ratings fell below the minimum, not sanctioned by the thousands in a short span.

Apparently,  based on the huge number of sellers effected, eBay changed the criteria used to decide when and which accounts qualify for extermination in order to purge such a large number of sellers with a single sweep of Donahoe's destructive innovation wand.

All sellers should be worried over this purge.

Supposedly, eBay eliminated the bottom 15,000 sellers...but wait... Now that those 15,000 are gone, there are still 15,000 sellers at the bottom of the eBay hit list - just a different group. And that new bottom of the pile could be the next to go when eBay decides they want to raise standards yet again.

eBay's small seller exterminations can continue with eBay periodically purging the bottom 15,000 or so sellers at will until there have purged every small seller from the site.

To mitigate any concerns from Wall Street or investors, eBay simply claims they are purging the under performing bottom most sellers.

Sellers need to ask themselves a question.... How many purges will it take before YOUR ratings put you at the bottom of the list and you are targeted for extermination under eBay's new secret purge criteria?

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 11 23:56:55 2013

Ric, exactly, and yet another reason that the FTC and/or the U.S. House and Senate need to investigate ebay's policies and actions.

by: auctionguy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 00:26:16 2013

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 00:33:25 2013

Has anyone actually SEEN one of these
rejected
seller attempts?

Not that I am claiming these don't exist;  I am just wondering what ebay is TELLING these sellers (if anything)

And @RIC--yes exactly!  If this is as stated--how IS ebay going to justify this (as if they ever worry about something like that !!!)  and --

One of my Fave albums--

WHOS NEXT

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Mon Aug 12 00:59:09 2013

Ebay recently cut my selling limits by 2/3. it would have virtually destroyed my store.  i have 100% feedback, perfect shipping times and communication and above standard item as described. I had a fluke 2 month period with 3 buyers leaving me multiple low DSRs on shipping which resulted in a below standard rating.

the dsr system is laughable and complete insanity. the list of moronic guidelines that make up the system is quite lengthy.  after calling and  laying into them for an hour or 2 through 3 different departments, i was able to get my 2/3 cut raised to only 50%.  ebays expectations and rating system are WAY out of line and beyond ridiculous.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Aug 12 01:12:32 2013

Keep up the great work, Ho. Death by 15 thousand cuts to the jugular.

by: cathcartdesigns This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 01:16:46 2013

Ebay is cracking down on the wrong sellers, I saw chinese sellers that had over 15-20 negatives but their DSR's were 5.0 because they sell by bulk volume they were fine to rip off buyers..but I sell hand made pendants about 200-300 a month and going up but because people do not want to wait no longer than the 4 days ebay talks about everywhere they leave me 3-2 stars on the shipping time..everything else is high just my shipping time is at 4.7% I was able to sell 2000k a month, they cut down to 1600 now 800 soon it will be 400 until they shut me down just because of that 4.7% well I changed my shipping and shipped within one day but not all buyers leave feedback! so my money is held, my listings restricted but yet my sales keep going up and people keep loving the pendants...but china man gets tons of negs but they are okay.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 02:17:16 2013

Its been clear for years that ebay want to be a retail shop.
2 Things
Why don't ebay just start buying their own stock?
Why don't sellers leave ebay and go where they are wanted?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Aug 12 02:30:16 2013

Oh I honestly think this is so much deeper that what they have shared with Ina.  I have an email from a CSR that clearly states that for some reason my listings have been tanked in the searches.  The CSR goes on to state she doesn't know why this has happened as well.

I'm a TRS seller in good standing.  None of my DSRs are even close to causing problems for me.  All are either 4.9 or 5.0.  Yet Ebay has buried me in the searches starting the first part of July.

For some reason they must have released this the first few days of August as my sells were pretty good.  But as of a couple days ago, they went right back down again.

So I have no clue why they are doing this to me.  The CSR doesn't know why.  I did talk with another CSR at the Top Customer Care department and they didn't know either.  So I have no answer as to why this is happening.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 02:35:50 2013

The extermination continues.
Mass Howler
Ebay is a sick and toxic entity.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 02:42:39 2013

Gosh, I wonder if I am on ''double-secret probation''?
Do not post on any ebay boards folks as you will be IDENTIFIED and CULLED. Do not click on any link from here that takes you to ebay.
Always CLEAR YOUR COOKIES if you ever visit any site that is not absolutely pro ebay (if you can find one) as the purges are on.
(See you in the soup lines).
Mass Howler
We are at war with Eastasis, we have always been at war with Eastasia.
(George Orwell, 1984)

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 03:48:39 2013

Ebay should fix their own site first.
Fix the order detail page which has been broken for over a month.

Fix the expected delivery date.  Just had one where the expected delivery date was the day BEFORE the buyer purchased the item.

by: paperdetective This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 12 06:11:28 2013

Any person considering starting a business, I would ask: Why would you trust a business partner who has no trouble periodically wiping out thousands of small businesses and with that their investments, leaving them often saddled with unpayable debt, with the mere push of a button?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Aug 12 07:32:01 2013

What truly amazes me is that anyone could think that an eBay CSR would know what is going on at eBay …

Regardless, it's nice to know we can always be confident that whenever eBay does anything, or even an eBay spokesperson moves their lips, they are, invariably, being disingenuous ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 12 07:37:28 2013

In other words, eBay evicted 15,000 potential buyers.

I was researching completed listings last night. These views were for hot designer items that were selling like hot cakes a few years ago and are still in high demand.  I was astonished at how many unsolds there were.  It is clear to me that eBay have a problem.  It appears to me that they have chased most of their buyers away.

The esteemed CEO still doesn't get that eBay buyers do not want what they can get down the street at Walmart.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 12 07:41:40 2013

Marie, it is my guess that it is that silly algorithm playing havoc with search. The mad mathematical data scientists at eBay have created a monster.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]