Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri June 28 2013 17:54:53

Amazon Launches Pinterest Like Collections

Amazon.com launched a new feature with a nearly identical concept as Pinterest - Amazon Collections lets shoppers share products publicly grouped by themes or interests. The feature is different from the Amazon wish list, shopping list, or listmania, and the marketplace explains you can use the feature to "show off your unique style," or to "see what others have Collected on Amazon."

The feature is very similar to Pinterest, the social networking site that has taken the Internet (and ecommerce) by storm through its visual presentation that compels visitors to "repin" items to their own "boards." On Pinterest, users can share recipes, photos, fashion ideas, articles - and of course lots and lots of products. And most sites, including Etsy and eBay, include Pinterest buttons on their listings hoping shoppers will "pin" them on their boards for greater exposure and traffic back to their marketplaces.

Unlike Pinterest, Amazon Collections appear to be limited to items for sale on Amazon, at least for now.

If you use Pinterest, you'll feel quite at home with Amazon Collections. You can "like" individual items by clicking on a heart icon, you can "follow" other people and their collections, you can create your own collections (similar to Pinterest's boards).

I stumbled upon the new feature on a product listing page on Amazon, but Amazon explains not all listings have a Collections icon yet. "Collections is a new feature, and we haven't yet added the Collect button to every product page. To Collect ANY item on Amazon.com: drag this button to your browser's bookmarks bar and click it on any Amazon.com product page."

You can peruse other people's collections thanks to categories at the top of your Collections page: Books, Movies, Music, Men's Fashion, Women's Fashion, Featured and Following.

Amazon explains: "Everyone starts with a few empty Collections, but you can create your own, too. When you're collecting an item, you can choose an existing Collection or type the name you want in the box at the bottom and click Create." Also, "You can always get back to Your Collections through the Your Account page. While viewing one of your own Collections, you can add a description, edit/remove items, or delete the entire Collection."

eBay acquired social shopping site Svpply last year, but I haven't seen any integration of social shopping features on the eBay marketplace.

One thing to note: when I added an item to my collection, it publicly displayed my name. Some collections were identified by first name only, so check the settings if you are concerned about privacy.

I believe Amazon reached out to bloggers in the early stages of rolling this out. I could only find a couple of mention of the feature, the earliest on April 29.

Give Amazon Collections a peruse and let us know what you think.

Perminate Link for Amazon Launches Pinterest Like Collections   Amazon Launches Pinterest Like Collections

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Jun 29 02:41:29 2013

The perfect ego centric vehicle to encourage the growing cadre of Me Centric buyers whose very lives revolve around Social.

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Sun Jun 30 00:06:53 2013

I'm not a Amazon user, but as far I saw it is only one photo by item. What the hell was Amazon thinking?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Jun 30 11:49:36 2013

Actually, eBay does have its own visual feature - the new home page feed that serves up items it thinks you're interested in.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Jun 30 20:33:49 2013

Ebay should get out of the business of predetermining what THEY think buyers are interested in (Cassini even thinks it knows how much buyers want to spend!) and let the buyer decide for themselves on a per search basis what they want to see and how much they want to spend.

This search manipulation is likely illegal and should be reported to the FTC via snail mail (best method) along with all their other anti competitive trade practices.

aint-ftc

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Sun Jun 30 23:25:40 2013

Yes, I saw the eBay copy-paste of Pinterest. But at least you see different items based in your searches.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 1 11:12:53 2013

Not sure how I feel about the Amazon version of Pinterest, since the only thing I would be willing to 'promote' that way is my own things that are up for sale. On the Real Pinterest, I can pin my own products, pin others creations, interesting things that would appeal to crafters, etc. I enjoy Pinterest as it gives me an outlet to save photos of things that inspire me and my crafting as well as having a format to show what I have for sale. Currently, many of my sewing patterns have been repined which makes me happy. I'm not sure I understand the ultimate purpose of Amazon's boards.