Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun June 2 2013 16:43:38

eBay Hides Community Tab for Some Users

It looks  like eBay is at it again - users are complaining that the marketplace has moved navigation buttons around on the pages, and those who are seeing the new layout are frustrated at being unable to find the "community" tab.

One reader sent a screenshot so I could see what he's seeing, since I'm not part of what appears to be a test.

When I visit eBay, I see "Hi, Ina!" and "Daily Deals" on the left side of the top nav bar, and "My eBay"; "Sell"; "Community"; "Customer Support"; and "Cart" on the right side of the top nav bar.

Our reader sees "Daily Deals"; "Sell"; and "Customer Support" on the left side of the top nav bar, and "Hi, (name)!"; "My eBay"; and "Cart" on the right side of the top nav bar. Nowhere in the screenshot do I see a link to "Community" on his screenshot.

Can eBay really have the resources to test moving elements like that around the page - and is it really going to spur more sales or make people happier if they move navigational elements around the page?

One user on the eBay boards who saw the new experience said the change was more than cosmetic:

"Same thing here..'sell' tab is messed up too. It's now on the far left, but it takes me directly to a listing page instead of a page where you select your category. What's really strange is that if I go to the bottom of the page and click 'community' the heading is the way it used to be with 'community' showing at the top left."

Can anyone make sense of this latest change that rolled out to some users on Friday?

Perminate Link for eBay Hides Community Tab for Some Users   eBay Hides Community Tab for Some Users

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Jun 2 19:55:53 2013

I have the NEW layout - still getting used to it.

I've almost signed myself out a couple times when I hit the ''Hi…….'' tab instead of ''My eBay'' tab.

And….. my ''Feed'' has been gone again, but now it is back. That is a welcome move since I just found a hard-to-find item I've been looking for for so long that I only do an occasional search. When I loaded the ''feed'' page, there it was! If it weren't an auction I'd BIN! Dang, gotta wait!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Jun 2 20:36:27 2013

Why can't the leave ANYTHING alone?  They are constantly rearranging the furniture.  This is why I love Amazon and detest eBay.  eBay would not know stability if it slapped them in the face.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 2 20:40:26 2013

Perhaps they got rid of Liveworld because community boards and groups will be next?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Jun 2 21:06:19 2013

It makes perfect sense to me.

Ebafia is all about Lies and Secrets. Find it if you can! We're not going to make it easy for you! It's location is, after all, a Secret.

The disappearance of the Community won't be missed by this seller.

The only 'community' that exists anymore on ebafia is the one between the ears of the planet's stupidest management.

You know the 'community' I mean -- it's filled with buyers who never receive what we send and have proof of delivery for, the ones claim the shipping charges were too high in spite of that amount being right in front of their face at the time of purchase, and the ones who complain what they received wasn't what they thought they were ordering (didn't bother ot read the description).

This is today's ebafia 'community.'

The old community now lives here.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Jun 2 22:35:41 2013

I remember years ago making a comment about supporting the ebay community in one of the discussions on the ebay forums. Boy was I put in my place when posters started yelling ''What community?'' ''There is no community''. So now years later hiding the community tab is sort of moot. Like Ming said, ''The old community now lives here''. If I want the truth, the facts and no bullying, EB is the place to go.

by: Puamelia This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 2 23:46:36 2013

My view in Firefox is of the new format. Same ID in Internet Explorer shows the old format.

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 2 23:50:39 2013

I have four accounts. Use four different browsers to avoid constant signing in and out.
Firefox has "new" look. Chrome, Safari and even Sea monkey(a firefox variant) all have the old view. VERY strange.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Jun 3 00:06:26 2013

I have been seeing different configurations of the top navigation links...

On some iterations, I do not get the link with my first name and the drop downs for sign out etc..

Given that the top navigation links change from time to time, one has to wonder if eBay is experiencing server meltdowns and abusing the term "testing" so that they do not have to publicly admit their server issues.

Given the admitted but unannounced server glitch that is mysteriously reducing photo sizes, I believe eBay is experiencing numerous server issues and simply keeping quiet so they do not spook Wall Street.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Jun 3 00:08:58 2013

It's entirely possible that eBay is trying to purposely change people's behavior (and habits) to suit eBay's future plans.

Hide (reclocate) any button and traffic to that part of the site decreases. THEN they have ''statistical proof'' that the particular section (or feature) has become unpopular... and that will serve as justification for it being retired.

eBay execs are smart enough to know that there would be a deafening outcry if their decision to remove a feature appeared to be entirely arbitrary. So instead, they ''starve'' the unwanted feature by making it impossible to find... then claim that users have ''lost interest'' in that particular area of the site.

It's a peek-a-boo hide-and-seek shell game... and the users will always lose.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Jun 3 01:42:55 2013

Annie you sure do have a way with words! I really do think you should have your own column here on EB and mean that sincerely.

''So instead, they ''starve'' the unwanted feature by making it impossible to find... then claim that users have ''lost interest'' in that particular area of the site.''

Exactly what they did to auctions.

Anyway I have the community tab on the top right in internet explorer but this changes. I remember no community tab on top at one point and only a teeny tiny Community link at the bottom of the page. Don't recall seeing it on the top left.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 3 06:57:17 2013

More actions by ebay that are highly inconveniencing to their users, and I agree with Anonymous Annie as to ebay's motivations.

by: bunnspec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 3 07:31:55 2013

I submit that because of JDs letters to the Secretary General where he outlines concerns for emerging economies, American small sellers are being stripped of wealth in order to redistribute it, mistreated (because they can) and are not regarded as the future of ebay..JD is in lockstep with the needs of the NWO as espoused lately by politicians.

Until you read those letters, you will think ebay management incompentent-after reading those letters, you WILL understand what JD has been planning since 2005. I for one have to wonder at ANY motivations/innovations JD comes up with...

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Jun 3 08:19:26 2013

Bitbybit, thank you for the compliments and kind words.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Mon Jun 3 10:05:11 2013

meh....useless boards anyway.

i'm on the new design right now.  can anyone say ''pinterest''?

non-stop flowing pics based on everything i have ever bought or searched for.  is this how they think ppl shop on ebay?

it's like the old bonanza, but without any of the finesse or hand-selection.

just an endless flow of unrelated crap.

ebay diarrhea.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 3 10:50:37 2013

In this case they're not hiding anything.  If you are using Mozilla you will see the new layout. Explorer has everything just as it was.  I think it is a Mozilla issue.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 3 11:02:21 2013

ebay copies just about everything from Amazon. Why don't they copy the idea of ''leave it alone''. I really believe they keep making changes and more than twice a year, just to p**s people off. Hopefully they will leave the site and not come back.
Read a theory long ago, that JD is really working for Amazon. As time goes by, it sure looks like a possibility. Nobody can be as dumb as JD.

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 3 11:51:29 2013

@ Annie, your comment is SPOT on as usual. suddenly it all makes much more sense to me.

FYI, my screen hasn't changed either in Safari or Firefox but i am on a MACINTOSH and i notice that i keep the "old" layouts for a really really long time......

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 3 12:05:11 2013

I had read of the missing Community link days ago, but it did not affect me until yesterday night.  I use IE10 and Community was no where to be found up at the top right where I usually see it.  I have the Powerseller Board as a favorite, so I just click on it to then go to the Community forums.

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 3 13:38:59 2013

Maybe we've just gotten lucky, whenever one of these page changes take place we clear our cookies through control panel - internet options. If this doesn't work we reboot the affected system doing the same again once back up and running. 100 percent success to date, can't guarantee it will work for all.

Not going to try to break down the why of any change, just the bottom line result below.

AgendaSwallowsAll

This user has validated their user name. by: ChaChing

Mon Jun 3 14:55:36 2013

Has anyone seen the PS board? I couldn't find it.