Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Apr 26 2013 16:36:36

eBay Adds Global Shipping Program Terms to New User Agreement

eBay is adding language about its Global Shipping Program to its User Agreement that takes effect immediately for new users and takes effect on July 1st for current members. It also includes changes to the process by which the user agreement may be amended, and a description of a new way through which users can acknowledge their acceptance of the user agreement called the electronic click-through.

In the announcement about the new UA, eBay wrote in part:

"We added provisions describing the Global Shipping Program, through which we may make your domestic U.S. listings available to international buyers,...

"Unless you have previously opted into the Global Shipping Program or are a new user, we may make your eligible new and existing listings available to international buyers through the Global Shipping Program only after you have indicated a desire to take advantage of this program in the form of an electronic click-through acceptance of the User Agreement or otherwise. Your participation in the Global Shipping Program will be subject to additional terms and conditions, including an agreement with that provider for the provision of its services to you."

You can read the full post on the eBay Announcement Board.

I talked to an eBay spokesperson about the GSP provision, who said, "We have from time to time experimented with different user experiences, ways of engaging our users. Today with our announcement we are bring extra awareness to the Global Shipping Program, which we believe is a very compelling, very exciting way that eBay sellers can sell across border. Through the electronic click-through, users will be able to acknowledge that they are accepting the user agreement as well as the Global Shipping provision that is part of it."

He also said, "We want to make it easy for our sellers to acknowledge acceptance of the user agreement with the Global Shipping Program and we also on the backside have provided what we consider to be a good easy way for them if for whatever reason they want to opt out of the program later, and that's in My eBay."

He referred to the FAQs, here are some of the ones I think are worth highlighting:

If I am an existing seller, does this update to the User Agreement mean that I have to agree to have my items sold through the Global Shipping Program?

No, you are not required to sell through the Global Shipping Program. The update specifically states that, unless you have previously opted into the program, eBay will not make your items available through the program unless and until you indicate your desire to take advantage of the program. If you decide to use the Global Shipping Program, simply accept the User Agreement in the form of an electronic click-through, when it is presented to you at log in.

As an existing seller, if I don't accept the User Agreement by the electronic click-through, does that mean I can no longer buy and sell on eBay?

No. If you do not accept the User Agreement by the electronic click-through and you have not already opted in the Global Shipping Program, you will not be able to take advantage of the Global Shipping Program. However, all other provisions of the User Agreement will still apply. This means you can still buy and sell on eBay.

Do I have to accept the User Agreement by electronic click-through in order for my listings to be offered through the Global Shipping Program?

Yes. Unless you've already opted in to the Global Shipping Program or are a new user, accepting the User Agreement by electronic click-through is currently required in order to make your listings available to international buyers through the Global Shipping Program.

See all of the Frequently Asked Questions here.

The spokesperson said users who do opt in to the Global Shipping Program (GSP) still have the ability to mark a listing as ineligible for the program (there are lots of restrictions on what can be shipped internationally), and that it's also possible to opt out of the program after you've opted in.

I expressed concern that users might feel they had to click through and agree they acknowledged the User Agreement, but then be opted in to the GSP program. Will users see two checkboxes, one for accepting the User Agreement, and one for accepting (and opting in to) the GSP? "We're still designing the experience based up on feedback from users," the eBay spokesperson told me, "but I would anticipate it would be as we've announced, a very easy, familiar experience for sellers and buyers."

The new user agreement goes into effect for current users on July 1. If you see an electronic click-through asking you to acknowledge the new UA, look at it carefully if you don't wish to join the GSP program. Because eBay is still designing it, they can't send me a screenshot of what it will look like.

If you do wish to join the Global Shipping Program, be sure to look at the Terms - you are giving Pitney Bowes Power of Attorney to act on your behalf, and of course you have certain responsibilities including ensuring that your sale and exportation of GSP Items complies with all laws and regulations.

As for the new UA, read it over and let us know what you think!

Perminate Link for eBay Adds Global Shipping Program Terms to New User Agreement   eBay Adds Global Shipping Program Terms to New User Agreement

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 26 17:20:00 2013

I have absolutely NO DOUBT that this is a setup to make GSP REQUIRED to sell out of country.
100% JD planning guaranteed.

They want a piece of EVERYTHING.

Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Apr 26 19:52:12 2013

@ MH

They want pieces of things that aren't even theirs.

They're out of control.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Fri Apr 26 20:04:09 2013

Electronic click-through.

Call it what it is: A Rider.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Apr 26 20:19:19 2013

This is an amazingly deceitful way to confuse sellers into involuntarily opting into a 'voluntary' program.

I'd rather pay a little more for international shipping and prevent ebafia from controlling yet another aspect of business.

Control creep nickel and diming is why we're in the position in as sellers. This eventually will cost sellers money no matter what ebafia says.

It's time to resurrect Ming's Law #1:

EBAY LIES. ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Apr 26 20:30:14 2013

Speaking of global ''ship''ping. Did anyone get an invitation to a SeaBay cruise conference for 2014?

All I could think of was the sheer number of references from various posters here over the years about plugging holes and sinking ships! Phil- Ya out there?

And the chosen cruise line just cannot stay out of the news!  Seriously, it does not appear in my eBay messages - so it may be a joke or phish!

Back on track:
The GS program sounds interesting, but may have potential pitfalls on the returns end, from what I can tell. It would be interesting as time goes by to hear from sellers that have used it for 6 - 12 months (and what their category is).

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Apr 26 20:34:25 2013

Absolutely agree with Mass Howler. I think we've all become proficient at reading between the lines of any eBay announcement. If you don't opt into their GSP, your items will either be invisible to any buyers outside the U.S., or your items will be just plain invisible. We already know that eBay and PB add in fees for every sale through the GSP, so eBay really wants everyone to participate.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 26 20:41:18 2013

When they cram this piece of crap down our throats, I'll be out of business.  My International buyers will NEVER pay the amount these dimbulbs are trying to charge for freight.  With International 30% of my business, I'll be sunk.

I wonder how much longer they'll let us ride before forcing it on us...

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 26 21:08:50 2013

I simply would refuse to sell internationally if they force this.

Someone said above that they are out of control and they are.  I have never seen a company driven by such greed.  They want to control a sellers every move.

This user has validated their user name. by: Sandymenu

Fri Apr 26 22:53:43 2013

For those of us selling there, they already have our left ''end'' or am I not ''Right'' down correct?

That ''GPS'' has been there (click for optional use) for past 2 months each time I've gone in to list an item.

I already know that since the spokesperson confirmed that

''We're still designing the experience based up on feedback from users,''

but reminds us to read the TERMS would only mean one thing}

If you opt-out then you cannot sell there.

YOU have choices ''right now'' to go and start selling on OTHER SITES of your choice.

I have been ''minimizing'' my ebay inventory for 2 months now and now keep under 25 until the July 01st date nears.

I (personally) am now thinking of eCrater or Addoway come July 01st.

My left end has just now reminded my right to get off this chair and log off for the evening!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat Apr 27 10:13:44 2013

Have you ever seen an old movie where someone tricks another person into signing a contract (or ''rider'') by slipping it in to a stack of other papers that need to be signed.

The con-man tells the rancher ''here's the contract we talked about... this contract gives me the right to graze my sheep on your land... it's the standard stuff... just flip through and sign the bottom of each page''.

The trusting landowner (believing that it's all ''standard procedure'') simply signs everything that's put in front of him... not realizing that ONE of the hidden contracts ALSO gives the con-man all of the mineral rights to his land.

That's what this reminds me of.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 27 13:31:41 2013

I feel exactly as Ming expressed: I'd rather pay a little more for international shipping and prevent them from controlling yet another aspect of business.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 27 13:35:28 2013

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 27 13:42:58 2013

Sorry for the dupe--my cat did it. Did you notice on the announcement board eBay says: ''You don’t need to take any further action to accept the updated eBay User Agreement. If you choose not to accept the new terms, visit this help page for further direction.''
I clicked the link. It took me to the Cancel My Account page. Haaaaa. Subtle? Or deceptive? Arm's length or strong-arm dealings?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Apr 27 18:47:26 2013

The loss of international sales must already be killing them.  Ours fell off to almost nothing, and from what I read on the various boards and blogs, so has everyone else's.  (THANK YOU USPS).  So, even if they implement this fully, they won't make enough money to make up for the loss of international sales.   Most international buyers simply are not willing to pay the hefty shipping fees that USPS has implemented, and the eBay/PB scheme is no better.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Apr 27 20:14:57 2013

Just when we thought Ebay couldn't possibly get any worse.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 27 20:47:44 2013

please please .... somebody... come up with a "hands off" auction site.
I make my own business decisions and dont need to be micro-managed....

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 28 03:05:57 2013

Ebay has been pushing this Global Shipping program aggressively for months. I've gotten e-mails, surveys, and phone calls trying to get me to sign up.

I accepted it on a few of my listings several months ago. Customer from Europe bought item, then found out it would cost about $38.00 for shipping, when I could send it for about $12.00.  They got mad at me. I explained I had no idea it was so expensive, and offered to cancel the sale, then relist the item with the International Shipping of about $12.00, so they could buy it again, and save money on shipping. We canceled the sale, but the customer never bought the item again.

When you try to explain to foreign Buyers about how you had no idea about something that Ebay has done, most of the time the Buyer doesn't believe you.

Ebay just keeps micromanaging everything a Seller does. It keeps getting worse. I guess they are desperate to make a few more cents on every transaction.

We have a B&M shop, and you should hear what Buyers have to say about Ebay. When they ask for something we don't have, I sometimes say, ''You could probably find it on Ebay.'' They always say, ''No'', for various reasons. Nobody wants to use Ebay anymore, Buyers or Sellers.

You can bet Ebay will continue to try to cram Global Shipping down our throats. If they can't get us to sign up, they will trick us into it.

No way will I ever use it again!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Apr 28 03:11:53 2013

When I tried NOT to accept the agreement and the Global shipping program, I also landed on the Close Your Account page.

EBAY LIES AGAIN. What a surprise.

Ebafia spokesdupe sociopaths are inherently incapable of telling the truth.

It would appear that there's no way to escape this until it starts, and then according to spinmeister Ina interviewed, we can opt out on out My Ebay pages.

Perhaps Ina could get a further clarification on this lunacy.

@MH

I also received a cruise invitation. I would rather be marooned on a desert island with 100 man eating crocodiles than rub elbows with The Ho and his little hos.

At least the crocodiles are honest about their motivations and behaviors.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 28 14:23:28 2013

Total set-up.

I THOUGHT the PO was going to give us TRACKING for Canada with the 1st class fee increase on intl- How come no tracking yet??
We were told that the intl rate will go up but there will be 1st class tracking to ''many'' countries, starting with US to Canada- What happened to that??
More lies and deception.
(Ina, could you get an UPDATE if it EXISTS)?

We will raise your shipping rates- but you will get tracking- DIDN'T HAPPEN!

We will force buyers to CONRACT SELLERS FIRST (Rich Matsura) before opening a case- DIDN'T HAPPEN (just to keep us on for Christmas)??

Ebay- so much DECEPTION, so little time.

We were also told that we could opt-out but STRANGELY ENOUGH if we disagree with the new UA we are directed to simply ''Close our store''??

Instead of sending that letter from JD send your own- tell them that you WANT TAXES to be collected for businesses that do over 1 million- SUPPORT THE BILL. This will be a true VICTORY for we small sellers!

The FTC needs to come in here- WRITE THEM NOW!

MH

by: boardwalk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 29 00:01:38 2013

Here is the biggest joke......International buyers are not upset about the shipping......its the automatic customs and brokerage fee that is added to the shipping to get the entire cost.  Many times customs is not charged on shipments.  But through the Global Shipping Program it is charged 100% of the time.  I know many buyers who are avoiding sellers who use the GSP for that very reason.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]