Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Mar 14 2013 22:06:29

eBay Snubbing of Sellers Due to Technical Difficulties

A lot of eBay sellers have complained that they've been excluded from participating in the invitation-only promotions the company has been running since last summer. But according to the Director of Pricing & Monetization (an interesting name for the department), the majority of sellers should be able to participate in at least one promotion a month.

We get into the reasons why you may never have received an invitation in Friday's newsletter - "technical difficulties" at eBay is one of the culprits.

But how important are the promotions? Does it save sellers an enormous amount of money to be able to list a few thousand auction or fixed price listings (depending on the promotion)?

What would your ideal promotion consist of in terms of format, duration and quantity? And should eBay run a few free listing day promotions for everyone throughout the year, or run frequent promotions on a rotating basis?

If you've participated in the free listing promotions, has it been worth your time and energy? Do your sales go up, or does sell-through go down?

eBay's goal is to increase the gross merchandise value of items sold as a measurable result of listing promotions, so let us know what you're experiencing.

Perminate Link for eBay Snubbing of Sellers Due to Technical Difficulties   eBay Snubbing of Sellers Due to Technical Difficulties

by: teddychan This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 23:34:32 2013

For me, the free listing promotions are critical because I can't stand paying listing fees (and rarely do). These promotions also are one reason why I haven't and may never open an eBay Store, as Store owners are excluded from many of them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Mar 14 23:40:18 2013

They ALWAYS have an excuse.

This time it's the worn out glitch excuse.

Ebafia: home of the world's most incompetent programmers and even less competent management that hired them.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Thu Mar 14 23:46:37 2013

I returned to eBay as seller only to use the "free" promos. Because in the past listing fees or paying a membership never worked for me.

I got results with the promos. I saved a lot of money in "throwing money in the air" or listing/insertion fees.

The best that worked for is the Auction with BIN.

For the promos with "Invitation". I saw that not always you get the message before or the 1rst day it starts.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 00:00:40 2013

The bizarre blame- it- on- the- seller for ebays allegedly NOT being ABLE to give us a heads up in MESSAGES--what PLANET do they think we live on?

Do they REALLY think we BELIEVE this???   They can send us EVERYTHING ELSE on Messages--but not this one teesny tiny 'lil unimportant thing?

Um---I think --not.

Pretty sure that ebay could FIX this with a few well placed key strokes--but that would mean they would have to PAY a programmer to DO this.  And have one that knew what the heck they were DOING.

Sooo---pretty sure there is way MORE to it than this. I USED to get the promos--and haven't gotten one in a loooong time--and my sales have been in the toilet for MOST of the SAME time.  On two sites!   Am I paranoid?  Mebbe.  Do I think that ebay favors SOME sellers over others?

Gee--who woulda ever thunk THAT.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 00:06:23 2013

Sellers paid ebay full price on Store Fee and Listings' Fee.  What they get is a small time share.  Ebay parked and hide most of their items.  Free Listing?  Poor ebay Store owners paid of those spaces.  Their items were pushed asides for many more weeks while these 'free listing' drown their items in ebay search.

As expected, ebay takes money in many unethical ways.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Fri Mar 15 00:07:04 2013

Another thing about the ''invitation'' promos. In the beginning, I receive both invitation by my personal e-mail related to eBay and in the eBay Inbox. Now is only in eBay Inbox.

Also the ''invitation'' e-mails  disappear from your eBay inbox the same way they appeared. So if you don't visit eBay for some weeks or more. You will never have records of the invitations that you received.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Mar 15 00:20:32 2013

It's a Glitch-A-Day at eBay.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 01:17:38 2013

I think all these "free" promotions just clogs the site with lower quality merchandise that noone would actually PAY to list.  But hey, give it to em free and they'll throw any ol' piece of cwap up.
I used to pay a LOT MORE to sell on ebay than I do now but I didn't MIND because the site had better QUALITY and variety and actually got TRAFFIC back then.
In other words...I PAID more to sell there but I MADE more too.

by: Henry This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 01:39:52 2013

Promotions are a waste of time and resources. It gluts the marketplace with junk or unsold items.

eBay should develop a genuine coupon system where-by sellers could reward buyers with discounts.

Loading the system with thousands of items that will never sell confuses buyers, makes search ineffective and reduces top rated sellers sales.

by: Henry This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 01:47:59 2013

I have said this a thousand times but I will say it again. Let the sellers control the promotions - markdown manager, coupons, etc. eBay is the middle guy - they are the platform where e-commerce takes place they are not the seller.

Sellers are eBay's customers. Buyers are the sellers customers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Mar 15 02:22:14 2013

Just more smoke and mirrors by Ebay.  I have two accounts.  Both are TRS Plus.  Both have their site preferences set the same.  My main account has a store, my other smaller account does not.

My smaller account gets invited to almost every promotion.  Not all, but nearly all.

My main account went several MONTHS without getting a single invitation to any listing promotion.  Now in the last couple months I've been getting invited to the promotions for free 30 BIN listings.  Now mind you I haven't changed my site preferences, yet now I'm getting at least some invitations.

The sad thing is that Ebay is sending invitations to promotions I can't use.  Nor can most seller that have a premium store.  It is hardly worth running things up for a 30 day BIN when you'd have to go relist them if they didn't sell.  A premium store is only paying a nickle for a GTC listing per month.  My time in relisting several hundred listing is worth far more than what I save in listing fees for a 30 day period.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 02:34:19 2013

We have participated in many of the Free Listing Invitations of one kind or another and as far as I am concerned it helps make up for some of the increases in costs that keep creeping up on us. I am hoping for 5 cent max fees for auctions for store owners and at least 50 per month like everyone else gets free. That would be a tremendous help to store owners to bring in more buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Mar 15 02:40:27 2013

@Tiffee

Well non store orders could use a similar agrument.  They I am sure would love to have BIN listings for 20 cents or a nickel like store owners.  Non store owners pay a pretty high rate for a BIN or GTC listing.  Store owners overall get far more breaks than a non store owner since store owners typically run a mess of BIN listings.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 06:53:40 2013

I agree with the earlier comment.

eBay cant let us know through the "Message" channel on their own site?

Come on, we are not selling swamp land in Florida are we?

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 07:12:57 2013

This last promotion to list up to 7500 items with BIN was a total waste of time for me. I had 1  good day last week then NOTHING. Quieter then a mouse sleeping on ebay at all starting levels of my items.I only sold 2 items in the last 7 days and both at 25.00 with one looking like a deadbeat waiting to happen.

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 09:20:43 2013

Non-sense response from ebay that its an email glitch.  If you got invited - it wouldn't matter if you got the email or not as the promotion would be active and you would get the discount.  And it would be noted on the seller manager page.

The BIGGEST issue with free promotions is that EBAY is picking the winners and losers. And unfortunately they make their very BEST customers the losers as full time store sellers rarely receive any promotions.  And when these promotions are active they flood the search with low quality items, asian sellers with counterfeit items, and search visibility goes to ZERO for full time sellers.

EBAY needs to QUIT picking the winners and losers and make any promotion available to ALL.

Here's a novel idea: Instead of giving people 7500 or 10000 free listings to each they could very easily extend the promotion to everyone and give them 500 or 1000 free.  Make it fair ebay as its not fair the way it has been.  There have been 3 free invite auctions this year and we and many of the full time sellers have NOT been invited to ANY of them..... And when the free invitation is active sales of BIN items plummets..

PS: And the sellers getting these free listings know how to game the system.  You will see the same item listed in different sizes as separate listings, quantity 1, 2, 5, 10, etc, various lots of the same item - and this flood of items in search takes away any visibility we normally have for buy it now..  Many of them also have 3-4 accounts getting the promo and they sell the same items.  Ebay is letting people 'game' the system and in the process is destroying its full time seller base and very best customers.

by: dctotten This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 10:01:58 2013

I have an eBay store and have been getting the promotions regularly since December.

I didn't get an email from eBay, rather I read about the promotion in EcommerceBytes daily newsletter and then checked my messages in my ebay account. Seriously, Ina, your newsletter has saved me a lot of money.

I just check your newsletter everyday for any notification on the promotions. Since using the promotions, my eBay store has become profitable. Thanks for all you do in keeping us informed.

by: MissEnchanted This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 10:06:39 2013

I call BS on eBay's lame explanation. Seriously, they say, ''We ache when we hear that (people aren't receiving invitations).'' Really? Aching with laughter? Gas pain, maybe, from all the bloat?

My TRS account (which had a store subscription up until May 2012) hadn't received a single listing promotion since a site-wide one last August. It was a bummer, because I sell OOAK vintage/antique/collectible stuff, and I didn't want to pay listing fees to keep those items and descriptions active.

Last week, I got the flashy ''Welcome to the TRS Program'' folder in the mail, even though I've been a TRS continually for years, and a day later I was invited -- by email -- to my first listing promotion in 7 months. Magically, I'm now visible and eligible? And this is a glitch with MY settings? Right.

Ultimately, not being invited to any of these listing promotions inspired me to move a lot of business over to Etsy. Thanks for the push, eBay! No need to ache for me any more.

This user has validated their user name. by: askalice59

Fri Mar 15 10:15:49 2013

Quoting Marie
''Now this statement by Ebay that some emails may not be getting through to sellers in regards to these promotions.  Well if that was a problem, then a seller would notice when they listed something that the listing fee was free.  Meaning the seller had a listing promotion available to them that they just didn't know about.  So during the listing process they might notice the reduction in costs.  But that only happened once for me well over a year ago.''

EXACTLY!!!

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 15 10:28:38 2013

My mistake too on earlier post as  the free auction promotions are usually for 75,000 or more listings not 7500..... SO Here's a novel idea for ebay: Instead of giving selective sellers 75,000 or 150,000 free listings, they could very easily extend the promotion to everyone and give them 1000 or 2000.  MAKE IT FAIR EBAY as its not fair the way it has been.  There have been 3 free invite auctions this year and we and many of the full time sellers have NOT been invited to ANY of them..... And when the free invitation is active sales of BIN items plummets as we are relegated deeper to the bottom of the search.. Ebay is picking the winners and losers and destroying its very best customers in the process, and that is a shame...

1 2 3  [Next Page]