Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Mar 4 2013 20:50:47

eBay Sellers Hit Hard by PhotoBucket Changes

eBay sellers are again having problems with PhotoBucket, a service some use to store photos that populate their eBay listings. The service switched users to a new site on Thursday with different functionality, and eBay sellers are complaining that their photos are not showing on their listings,  that it's difficult to access their photos on PhotoBucket, and that some functionality is missing on the new site - "Can't post my listings on eBay, the pictures won't load," wrote one seller.

Comments on PhotoBucket's Facebook included, "I want to know why direct links lead to the image on the PB site now instead of just the image in a browser window. This one issue is making me switch," and, "I spent hours trying to grab HTML code from the "new and improved" Photobucket last night to no avail. The new system is abominable."

An EcommerceBytes reader explained in an email, "This isn't a protest against the design change. I couldn't care less. What I am attempting to do is to alert you to something that happened that has broken much of the useful functionality of photobucket. I use photobucket to embed clickable thumbnails into my item description on both eBay and my website. The old links still work but the new links do not work properly."

Another complaint is the timing of the change. "How did I get switched over? Yesterday I was on the old site and seeing a message that everyone would be switched over to the new site on March 18th. Today the old link automatically opened in the new site. WTH??? I'm pissed!"

PhotoBucket had created a special page to better understand eBay users' needs. On March 2nd, it closed the thread with a "quick update on site features and issues currently being updated and addressed," but users have not stopped reporting problems.

Let us know if you have tips to share for PhotoBucket users on coping with the changes or who are considering moving to another photo hosting service.

Perminate Link for eBay Sellers Hit Hard by PhotoBucket Changes   eBay Sellers Hit Hard by PhotoBucket Changes

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Mar 4 23:27:31 2013

I subscribe to PhotoBucket and am convinced the some of ebafia's clueless managers have migrated to PhotoBucket.

They make changes without understanding or apparently caring much if at all how these changes will affect their business customers. This happens with every change.

The idea of having seller focus groups advise them is a concept so foreign to Silicon Valley that neither ebafia or PhotoBucket has ever to my knowledge put one together.

PhotoBucket subscribes to the same MO as ebafia -- fix things that aren't broken and break the rest.

Refunds and apologies, please, with lessons finally learned.

This user has validated their user name. by: Sandymenu

Tue Mar 5 08:10:23 2013

LMAO ...I am ''SO SORRY'' Ina...I thought this was more about daily Bonanza site issues until I realize it reads ''EB''...LOL, time for a a fresh cup of coffee. LOL

Hope the rest of you figure out your ''bucket problems'' while EB listing next.

by: southernyankee This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 09:51:58 2013

If any eBayers are looking for a reliable photo hosting site - look no further than deadzoom.com
I have nothing to do with them other than I have been hosting my pictures there for about 5 years with no problems ever. The first 30 days are FREE and then $3 per month thereafter, if one decides to stay with them

by: iwiw60 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 09:53:39 2013

I used PB for years, and with these changes I can highly recommend using http://www.snapagogo.com . It is free to use with unlimited storage and I find it faster and easier to use over PB. Might give it a try!

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 10:20:26 2013

I have one auction going, checked and my photobucket photos are still up and working....

by: deleah This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 10:38:09 2013

just to rely my recent experience. have used PB for years without problems. first, be sure that you fill out the form to "opt out" of the new feature that "scrambles" your upload name tag for privacy. then previously, i always used the html tag that starts with http://s936.photobucket.com ..... that now must read: http://i936.photobucket.com .....
they have a box for link html's for your account on the right hand side of one of the pages. you can't see the whole link at one time but you can right click your mouse and do a "copy" and then paste it somewhere else for your further use. if you opt out of the file name scramble, and then change your html to the i936.photobucket.com you should be okay.

by: admiralh This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 10:56:44 2013

New format operates very badly with Internet Explorer 8. Very slow to move, commands happen seconds after made. Tried with Google Chrome and operates very smoothly. Suggest an article on "How to successfully use Photobucket with Ebay" would be useful to many readers.

by: admiralh This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 10:57:53 2013

Should add that the image links are now 2 clicks behind an image instead of being there immediately required. This is a negative step.

by: Cyclestripper This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 11:51:19 2013

The site design is less functional than the previous design but that is really not the problem. The link scripts don't work. They have added a user option "link back to pages". Without selecting that option, the thumbnail script generated on the new "organize" page generates links that are NOT linked at all. Just dead thumbnails. If the "link back to pages" is selected, the thumbnail script generated on the organize page links back to the album, not just the associated picture AND that picture link includes "beta" in the link. Assuming that the "beta" will be removed when the site goes "live" none of those link will work. It's also very confusing to anyone looking at the album to see pictures of other items when they scroll forward or backward.

This is just my most serious issue as I list a dozen or so new items every day with thumbnails embedded in my listing description that I also include in my web site. If I can no longer do this, I don't need a photo host. I can just import my pics into ebay and onto the web host servers (at a price).

Question: Are all users seeing the new site or are only selected users being forced to use it?

by: Wire This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 12:59:21 2013

I use my own web hosting service for photos and my website. That way nobody can change my links to photos unless I do it.  If you dont own it, somebody else will control it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Mar 5 13:12:24 2013

Just an FYI, but a lot of ISPs offer some web hosting space along with your internet service. I know Comcast does this. All you need to do is find out what your personal web URL will be and use whatever procedure they make available to load content to the web site and you'll be all set. The ISP's web site probably has all the info you need for this, and other than potential excess bandwidth charges (if you have a transfer limit), it usually doesn't cost any more than you already pay. I've always used my own web server to do the same, but am setting up my personal ISP web space as backup if my own server goes down.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 13:21:20 2013

On Firefox, I have been switched to the new site.  ON IE8 I can still access the old site.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 14:30:12 2013

There is always Auctiva which I have used since it opened it link on the Net.

by: Duke This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 15:09:42 2013

I moved away from Photobucket after they changed the links because of fusking and boy am I glad!

I host auction photos through my webhost, Dreamhost.  I wish I'd made the change years ago since it's quicker to use Filezilla to upload.  And it's easier having everything (website, shopping cart, blog, images, etc.) in one place.

It's about $119 a year, which includes one free domain name.  But they are usually running a deal for the first year.  It's not free, but well worth it since I don't have to worry about what's going on with my photo hosting anymore.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 16:34:54 2013

@ming
ebay used to have a "voices" program.  while at first they seemed to want input, it turned into something where they were simply measuring backlash without listening to honest opinions of changes.

This user has validated their user name. by: JusTrains

Tue Mar 5 18:08:21 2013

"IF IT AIN'T BROKE... DON'T MESS WITH IT!"

Obviously, PB has never heard of that phraseology. But as with everyone else, they are tryiong to jump on the social media bandwagon, and as someone else commented, don't realize some, individuals or businesses, aren't interested in that - or ANOTHER site! FB does it best. I used to use YouTube to host videos until Google combined in with Google+ and now it's just crap. As with PB, there is NO WAY to actually talk to anyone as they do not publish a direct customer service contact. Using forums is usually a waste of time for anything but the very simple mundane problems newbies face.

I have been on PB for years and it was great - until now. I host a few thousand pictures for various web pages and eBay auctions. The 'security' feature PB has attached to links is baloney. It causes me extra headaches and work in filing & retrieving my photos.

However, here's the skinny. No matter WHO you're with now, they WILL change eventually. If not internally then by assimulation in a buy-out. No one is safe from adverse changes. If you've been on the net long enough, you know this to be true.

SOLUTION?

Get your own web presence and stop relying on some of these sites that supposedly do everything for you. Some have great free apps and if you can use them, go for it. But don't rely on the base platform to serve you forever.

With your own web presence you will have your own ftp account and can store ALL your images easily. You won't get stuck after several years like I am now... trying to figure out how to move 6,000+ live images off PB with re-coding all the links.

That is a scary place to be. I wudda been a lot farther ahead by buying my own site years ago than starting with 'free' sites and working backwards over time. Another reason, btw, why I closed my 2,500 item eBay store 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, nothing good lasts forever.

Keep a stiff upper lip in the new electronic age of e-commerce. It ain't over yet!

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 5 23:18:41 2013

"The 'security' feature PB has attached to links is baloney. It causes me extra headaches and work in filing & retrieving my photos."

that can be turned off.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Mar 7 15:05:57 2013

@mindlec

I was invited to join the Voices program, but the invitation was as far as it ever went.

That's when The Ho decided Voices were Noise.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 10 00:06:52 2013

Ming, eBay may not have used focus groups in the last 13+ years, but I was a member of an eBay focus group discussion in 1998 or 1999.

I'm behind on reading eCommerce Bytes, but. As luck would have it, I used PhotoBucket just today

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 10 00:10:05 2013

(whoops, on my phone and hit "post" by accident!)

... to add an image to my eBay auctions ... and it did seem harder to find where to grab the code!