Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Fri Feb 8 2013 16:57:16

What's Going on with the Amazon Buy Box?

Sellers are wondering, what's going on with the Amazon Buy Box? There are reports of two different kinds of changes people are noticing.

In this discussion board thread, sellers are talking about the placement of the Buy Box - sellers are apparently seeing different page layouts, with the Buy Box in different positions on the page. Some sellers hate the new layout, others think it's to clean up the page.

But a reader saw something that, if it's a test, is significant, and supplied a screenshot.

He wrote, "Something really interesting in many of my listings on Amazon.com today. Usually there are up to three alternate offers listed under the buy box. They seem to have disappeared! Now customers must click to a second page to see any alternate offers! Of course Amazon or FBA listings are getting the buy box in most cases. Don't know if this is a permanent code change or an outage. Either way it's important news for the seller community. If this continues customers and sellers are getting cheated!"

I can't find any other reports of Amazon hiding alternative listings. Let us know if you're seeing any changes, and what you think of them.

Perminate Link for What's Going on with the Amazon Buy Box?   What's Going on with the Amazon Buy Box?

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 9 17:49:15 2013

They'll lose impulse buyers because hardly anybody is going to leave the buy box and go to another page.  Dunderheads!!!

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 9 19:02:58 2013

I'm seeing that a lot in the last week. Also the links that were normally under the main info following the item title -- i.e., 5 new 15 used  4 collectible for other sellers seems to have disappeared also.

It appears to me it is more effort to push prices down by making the competition for the ''buy box'' even more difficult than it is already.

by: julie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 07:49:10 2013

Yep, I noticed this last night when I went to check on an item I have on there. Instead of showing the other offers by company name and price, now it shows nothing but a small link... We almost always appeared in that slot if we did not have the buy box.

No wonder my Amazon sales have taken a nose-dive over the past few days. :(

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 10:21:07 2013

I just checked one of my listings and it still was specifying my listings under more sellers in the buy box even though amazon has the buy box and is selling a pattern that originally sold at $1.99 as $15.26. I just sold a copy of the pattern last night for way less than that, so I know that not all buyers use the buy box. Untill I started selling again on Amazon I never had even paid attention to the buy box when shopping and always checked the prices and feedback and availibility (in the case of Amazon listings). I don't think that all buyers blindly click on the buy box, but if I have it, I'm happy if they do!

by: Caroline This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 13:21:10 2013

I have also seen this phenomenon and was very surprised by it. I also agree that this change will continue to drive down prices and not only will it hurt the Sellers but it will hurt Amazon in the long run. It will reduce the amount that Amazon will collect on fees and no one will be making money. Isn't making money the point! Very disappointed that they have done this, it almost makes one feel that they are giving unfair preferential treatment to one Seller....we all pay for customer service and this is not how you treat your customers and Sellers are Amazon customers. I really hope it is a glitch!