Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Jan 31 2013 17:05:16

Amazon Lets Small Sellers Add Product Pages to Catalog

Individual sellers on Amazon now have the ability to create new products and add them to the Amazon catalog. The feature had previously been available only to professional sellers, called Pro Merchants, who pay $39.99/month to Amazon.

Readers who do not have a Pro Merchant account began seeing a message in mid-January when listing items that said, "The ability to create product detail pages is currently available in Beta to a limited number of sellers on the Individual Selling Plan. Learn More." An Amazon forum administrator confirmed, "It is now possible for all sellers to create new detail pages on Amazon.com. You can do so by clicking on the Inventory Tab, then on Add a Product, then on Create a New Product."

The Amazon website Sell on Amazon FAQs also confirms that all sellers can add products to the catalog.

An EcommerceBytes reader said not only was she able to add products to the catalog without having an Amazon Pro Merchant account, but she could also now request an earlier disbursement of her funds, and said her Stamps.com program will import and update the shipping information, which it hadn't previously without a Pro Merchant account.

When asked this week, a spokesperson would not confirm whether Amazon was testing changes to its third-party merchant program to make more features available to low-volume sellers.

It's somewhat surprising that Amazon would allow even more sellers to add products to the catalog. Readers have complained in the past that the "proliferation of multiple Product Detail Pages for the same item" was frustrating, as Julia Wilkinson noted on the AuctionBytes Blog in August.

"To cover my bases I often offer the same item for sale on multiple Amazon Product Detail Pages so I don't miss out on sales. It makes it more difficult to manage my inventory and to adjust inventory as sales roll in from the different listings," a reader had said, and makes it more difficult to manage pricing, since the competition varies from Product Detail Page to Product Detail Page.

Has Amazon gotten better about dealing with duplicate Product Detail Pages? What do you think of all sellers being allowed to create a Product Detail Page on Amazon.com? And what else should Amazon do to help sellers succeed?

Perminate Link for Amazon Lets Small Sellers Add Product Pages to Catalog   Amazon Lets Small Sellers Add Product Pages to Catalog

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jan 31 18:11:08 2013

Like ebafia, my opinion is that Amazero is only interested in "helping its sellers succeed" when there's at least as much and preferably more in it for them.

Most of their clouds have lead instead silver linings. Online sales venues are interested only in squeezing as much from their sellers as they can and giving back as little as they can.

This may seem like a good thing, but it's the beginning of an ebafia style cluttered marketplace.

All in the pursuit of money, more money, and still more money.

Those who worship at the Church of Amazero today remind me a lot of those who once worshiped the "old" ebafia and its hefty semi annual fee increases under the Whitman/Cobb dictatorship.

When greed is the name of game, the path and results will be the same.

by: teddychan This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 31 23:34:12 2013

As if Amazon didn't have enough problems with product proliferation and outright fraud, this will make things worse.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bijoux Dragon

Thu Jan 31 23:54:47 2013

As a seller I could not care less because Amazon prohibits used/vintage/antique jewelry which is my business focus.

As a buyer, I wince because of the aforementioned duplicate problems which will make shopping a misery.

While eBay is busy tying to be amazon Lite, Amazon is going to encourage one of eBay's big negatives - duplicate drek.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 1 07:51:28 2013

I only wish Amazon would clean up all duplicate listings.  This new feature will just add to more and more duplicate listings. Will end up like ebay - china syndrome????  I sell on Amazon. I have created new listings in the past-problem - they get buried  and no one see them. IMO Amazon is just trying to pull more off ebay for some reason. Will they start an insertion fee???

by: Duke This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 1 08:23:46 2013

For an Amazon newbie, being able to create product pages is exciting news.  I've been wanting to try Amazon for a long time, but the products I sell are not in the catalog.  Since my stuff isn't typical Amazon fare, I've been hesitant to commit to $39.99 a month for a Pro account.

Maybe this is a way of Amazon targeting the collectibles market?  Because that's the one area eBay still has the edge since any seller can list any product there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Fri Feb 1 08:38:08 2013

Unless they are planning on opening it up to handmade or other unique products, I see no point in allowing non-merchant users to create new pages.

They must be setting up for whatever new brainstorm Bezos has come up with now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Fri Feb 1 08:40:21 2013

@Duke ahhh, collectibles - good point!

by: reader This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 1 09:14:38 2013

What a horrible change! As it is there are too many similar listings that should never have been added in the first place. I have found too many listings with wrong UPC codes or incorrect titles that are not usable. It is a mess. Amazon needs to clean up their existing problems before adding any more.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 1 09:16:25 2013

Believe they have a category ''everything else''. That is where they majority of items will fall unless you have an ISBN or UPC number. Of course if they already have a catalog page for that particular item you would do fine. However according to the csr rep I talked to, If it is not an exact match to the title and description, you are taking a chance of item being returned and a negative feedback. Also was recommended that it be listed as ''acceptable'' even if it is new due to non exact match.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 1 09:19:21 2013

It is getting harder to find an item on Amazon. Too many duplicate and the search program they use is a mess. Type in exactly what you  want and a million other items show up. The item you want may be on page 22 regardless of how you type it in.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Feb 1 09:29:59 2013

I like it.  Often times I have an item where the color is not an exact match to the product in the catalog. This takes care of that.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 2 08:11:00 2013

The Amazon catalog has slowly become a total mess with duplicates, wrongly categorized items, gamed item pages and on and on.

They need to clean up their catalog--not allow more mess. Some days I spend half my time writing to Amazon to get item pages corrected or moved to the correct category. I win about half of the time but it is tedious doing their job.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 2 16:05:53 2013

I've now been a Pro-merchant on Amazon for about 6 months. The first couple times I tried to make a catalog page, I ran into all sorts of problems and couldn't load a picture which for what I sell is of primary importance. I finally quit and only list items that already have a page. I see some of the problems in my area with duplicate catalog pages is that people have added catalog pages in two areas (one being books which is totally wrong) and THEN Amazon loads a catalog page for the same thing. Instead of pulling those older items over, they leave them where they are so some of the duplicate listing is Amazon's fault.

Now if I could only get into my seller account on Amazon. For days now I haven't been able to on our main computer that is on satillite although I can with our dial up laptop. That means I haven't been able to print out shipping labels or fill in shipping info on Amazon. Especially bad is I can't currently list on Amazon as I can't keep going up and down stairs to do my listings. Weird thing is I can BUY on Amazon, I just can't get to MY account info. Hubby has been working for days to problem solve this one.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 3 13:32:08 2013

With all due respect to all the "eminent" authorities here, where is it written that Pro-Merchants don't clog the system with duplicate listings but we marketplace sellers do??

That's a fallacy and actually BS.   There are plenty of promerchants (including one who posted here just in this discussion) who instead of adding the COLOR item to the current listing will make a new listing.  The "Pro-Merchant" seller who responded that they put their items on multiple pages... Gosh I hope Amazon catches both of them.

I've been an Amazon seller for years but small potatoes.  Having the ability to add pages for my collectibles and non-ISBN books etc. will help MY bottom line as much as Amazon's.  Thanks Amazon.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Feb 4 08:57:11 2013

Beth is absolutely correct. Well said  Beth.

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 20 18:55:47 2013

Is this still true? I have some items (with manufacturers barcodes on the packages) that are not listed in amazon already