Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Jan 21 2013 13:06:52

eBay Glitch Hides Negative Feedback from Shoppers

What would you do if you bought something on eBay from a seller who had no negative feedback, but then discovered he or she did have some negs that were hidden due to an eBay glitch?

That may not be a hypothetical question for shoppers this week,  and the issue has serious implications for eBay and its users.

Reports are coming in about a glitch on eBay that display inaccurate feedback ratings for sellers. A reader filed a glitch report on Ecommerce EKG stating, "eBay feedback system is not working correctly. It is showing stats from about 4 or 5 days ago. I called eBay and they say they are aware of the issue but have no way to fix it at this time. Sellers that had negs fall off are showing back up on their accounts."

The reader stated that an eBay customer service representative told them not to worry about it.

Seven readers gave already confirmed the eBay feedback glitch. One wrote, "I was doing some shopping and noticed the same thing. The seller's feedback totals are not correct. It showed zero negs when she had one within the last week."

Another reader sent me a screenshot of a seller's feedback that showed the feedback numbers displayed were different than those showing in the feedback grid. When I looked at the seller's feedback, it showed something completely different than her screenshot.

"Have there been any glitches reported with feedback," she asked. "I was checking this seller in anticipation of making a purchase. She has a 97.4% feedback, but if you look at the detail, it shows zero negs and neutrals. If you scroll down, she has 18 positive feedbacks and one negative in January. The tally shows only 2 positive feedbacks."

I emailed eBay's PR team on Sunday evening asking if eBay was aware of the problem, the nature of the problem, and if there was any idea on when the problem started and an estimate for when it would be fixed.

Let us know if you're seeing problems with eBay feedback, and what eBay reps are telling you about the problem.

Perminate Link for eBay Glitch Hides Negative Feedback from Shoppers   eBay Glitch Hides Negative Feedback from Shoppers

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 21 16:03:35 2013

.... she/he/it had ONE negative and thats the issue?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jan 21 16:59:58 2013

Negative feedback hidden by an eBay “glitch”? “Glitch”? How naïve can you be?

I’m waiting for these unscrupulous cretins to create a similar “glitch” that will make all those ugly blood red unsold items disappear from the “Completed listings” of its most favoured merchants … Not a good look having favoured merchants such as Bain’s Toys-R-Us showing ~95% of their completed listings in that bright red colour … Talk about blood on the ground …

The problem with these eBay cretins is that they cannot even implement their “glitches” seamlessly …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 21 19:41:31 2013

My feedback stayed the same 100% but the DSR's started to change up and down

Several 1's I had in my DSR's dropped off and all my DSR score's dropped several percentage points most time whem 1's roll off my percentage score's go up

Ebay CSR's says nope it's A-Ok

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 21 21:13:30 2013

A glich that does not cost sellers? That IS a first.
Great "system" ya have over there JD.
(Now we sellers all have 100% JUST LIKE THE BUYERS- OUR buyers).
Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 22 09:50:58 2013

@Mass

Actually it could present a problem for some at TRS evaluation time.  If the DSRs are incorrect and if they are showing low ones that really aren't there, that could cause a person not to qualify for TRS.

I have a low DSR that was revised by the customer.  If I run the detail reports on the dashboard, I can see that she revised it, yet it still shows as a low DSR on my dashboard.  Now for me, one isn't going to make a difference for me, but for others the addtional low marks could present significant problems for them.

Also when my customer revised her FB, for several hours I did have my feedback scores bounce back and forth.  Sometimes I had the neg and sometimes it showed I didn't.  By the next day it had resolved, but I still have the low DSR.

Interesting that the CSR said Ebay had no fix problem.  It may be too much to ask, but they could start with trying to identify what started it.  Seems like a good place to start to me.

by: Ed This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 22 11:53:14 2013

We had some strange things happen. Our feed backs dropped from 1056 to 460 in couple weeks and our sales dropped about $10,000 in December but we have over 1400 feed back that no one ever sent us. This has never happened in the past 10 years.

Customer Service just said people are not buying from you. Every thing is A OK!

We have had hundreds of customer say in their feed back they would return.

This seems a little strange since we have had 25% increase every month in the past year and our total sales are up around 30%.

Nice to know there was a glitch or ebay is just up to playing games with the search

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 22 18:13:13 2013

That's a good point Marie.
MH

by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 23 00:12:21 2013

WOW........the other day I looked at some sellers FB and although they all had 100%,I then found current negs in the last few months? I was a bit surprised that they still had 100%?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jan 23 01:41:10 2013

@spirit-of-shiloh,

What is surprising about it? eBay's favoured “brand” and large merchants get to travel in the first class section of the bus, with all the attendant privileges ...

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: labbypaws This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 23 09:12:36 2013

I am dealing with a buyer who left feedback on Sunday and the DSR for As described is showing a "1".  Buyer left positive feedback and a great comment.  I have all 5's in as described.  It is an obvious glitch.  Been dealing with eBay trying to get it corrected.  They are supposed to call my buyer today.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 23 10:52:17 2013

The glitch had nothing to do with the favored brands or sellers.  I certainly do not fall in the group and my DSRs and FB was affected.  It finally straightened out yesterday.  Just a glitch, not a conspiracy.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 23 21:59:22 2013

This glitch has happened in the past, too.....I never viewed it as a big issue. Our account has had glitches where negs did not show in the count....and we've had it where removed negs that did not count were still showing in the count. Minor stuff, IMHO...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 23 22:57:14 2013

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Jan 23 23:36:29 2013

"If it happens during TRS evaluation time, which happens on the 20th of each month, it could become a very big deal for some sellers."

but this is just a coincidence .. wink, wink.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 23 23:36:36 2013

I'm strictly talking about the calculations of numbers on the feedback profile page (which obviously don't have any effect on TRS).....I'm not speaking about DSR calculations.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jan 24 02:00:00 2013

But the DSRs where part of this most recent glitch.  They weren't correct either.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 24 14:37:29 2013

I am sorry folks, I though everybodys negs wern't showing like mine, thought we ALL had 100% pos FB like my glitch here- turned my 99.8 to a 100%.
I thought that this glitch gave EVERYBODY 100% FB.
To make some peoples scores ctually LOWER is another story!
TERRIBLE at rating time!
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jan 24 14:41:30 2013

Yes MH, that was the problem with mine.  I had a buyer agree to revise a FB on my account.  And I could see it was revised when looking at the FB, but the neg still showed in the numbers at the top.  Now that part fixed itself within about 24 hrs, but not the low DSRs.  That took over a week before it got corrected.  Right through TRS evaluation time.  Fortunately it wasn't enough to cause me to lose TRS anyways, but that of course may not be the case for others.