Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Jan 9 2013 08:48:50

How to Get Back on eBay and Amazon If You're Suspended

I've read lots of discussions about how to back selling on eBay and Amazon once you've been suspended. The common perception is that it's easy to get back on eBay, but nearly impossible to get back on Amazon.com. But is that true today?

A reader asked today if I had any suggestions on how sellers could get back onto eBay or Amazon if they've lost their status as a seller. This reader was suspended from Amazon, and wrote, "I have no idea how to convince them otherwise."

1) How easy is it to get suspended on each marketplace - what are the major offenses to avoid?

2) How difficult is it to get reinstated on eBay and Amazon.com? Any tips?

3) Is it possible to get back selling w/out being reinstated? Are there workarounds (approved or otherwise), and are they effective?

I'm not sure how much sympathy sellers have for those who have gotten suspended. Are there cases where you would be more sympathetic than others? And feel free to comment on how good a job each marketplace does on getting rid of bad sellers.

Perminate Link for How to Get Back on eBay and Amazon If You're Suspended   How to Get Back on eBay and Amazon If You're Suspended

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 10:30:30 2013

Amazon has policies that are as stupid as ebay. Feedback is only for those dissatified on Amazon. Would like to know the average feedback for other sellers on Amazon. Mine are roughly 9% for the year. They still use as product review-Amazon will not remove. You get dinged for late delivery-even in the latest ''Sandy''. They ding you because a buyer doesn't ''think'' product is a fake. If you win an A-Z claim - you still get dinged. According to them it is all automated and they cannot remove. Then they tell you not to worry because they look at ALL details before anyone is suspended. Ha. Polite well to tell you get off the phone. Do not understand why they score you by the low feedback numbers - that is your percentage. Why not go with total sales??? Or do they think 99% of your sales don't matter??? As for ebay - no big deal getting suspended - nothing there anyway.

by: Brendan This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 11:38:30 2013

Hi Ina

We covered this very subject last year in one of our blog posts, which your readers might find very useful. It's with reference to Amazon, but the points do offer some solid advice on how to get back on track.

e-suspended-your-seller-account/

by: teddychan This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 11:56:56 2013

Amazon terminated my account 3 years ago because I wouldn't stop complaining to them about competitors selling fakes. I have since more than replaced my Amazon sales with eBay sales at a much higher profit margin. Amazon asked me to consider returning last week and I took one look at all the fakes still being sold there and laughed at them.

by: Brainiac jones This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 12:01:02 2013

Worst that happened to me in my eBay ID was getting banned from the discussion boards. Why? I think it was an acronymic cuss word like s$$t or something even more innocuous. Got kicked off for something like three months--the interesting thing was, banned from posting as I was, it allowed me to realize how much of a time waster reading the constant litany of complaints and derision for eBay and its policies was.

I believe that there is no shortage of folks who have been unfairly booted and I have sympathy for them, though I suspect I secretly feel they may be better off finding other venues to utilize--maybe they should count their blessings.

by: greenmountainsgirl This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 13:36:54 2013

Sorry in advanced because this is going to be a long answer.

In answer to:
Answer: VERY easy.

I put one thing up for sale, a CD of fonts on Friday. It sold on Sunday. Monday morning, my Dad passed away. I still posted the CD to the customer that same day before flying out to my family for the funeral. I stayed for two weeks, didn't think anything of the sale, except checked to see that USPS confirmed delivery. Came home to find I customer had left me feedback stating he'd received the CD and loved the fonts, but the rating was a negative. Shocked, I asked him what was the problem.

He told me: 1. I should have contacted him as soon as he received the CD to see if he was happy with it and 2. He had counted the fonts on the CD and there were two missing and he expected me to send to him the two fonts I'd removed from the CD. This was a factory wrapped, but he said he wasn't fooled by my claimed, it was a used CD I'd removed 2 fonts from it. I told him that the number of fonts was decided by the factory not me and said I was sorry the company didn't live up to his expectations and offered to refund him. He said no, he wanted the fonts I'd stolen from. I told him he could keep the CD and refunded him. He wrote to say he was refusing the refund and demanded that I take it back.

I contacted Amazon and gave them copies of all out communication. I was told that there was nothing they could do about it, it was up to me to convince the buyer that I was not guilty of his accusations. I was also informed that if I didn't convince him to change his negative to a positive, I would have to sell additional items on Amazon within three month of receiving the negative (at that point 6 weeks had passed) and said sales had to resulted in positive feedback, otherwise I would be banned forever from Amazon as I presently had a 100% negative feedback rating.

So I tried listing other things on Amazon. Amazon refused to place my listings because my lifetime record on Amazon as a seller was 100% negative. I appealed to Amazon that this restriction preventing me from following their own advice. They said they would fix it, but never did. That left me with four weeks to convince the customer to reconsider the negative. Upon Amazon's suggestion that the customer might change his mind if he knew that my Dad had passed away the day I sent the CD, I wrote to the customer again. Amazon thought he might feel bad for me and change the negative.

The customer responded by reported to me to the A-Z program, first that I never sent him the CD, then when Amazon denied his claim stating that his feedback showed he received the CD, he filed a second A-Z claim saying the CD was blank.  Amazon again denied his claim as his feedback, though rated negatively, said he loved the fonts, proving he did receive them. There was nothing I could do as I'd already refunded him.

The day his second claim was rejected, I received an e-mail from the customer stating he was never going to remove that negative. He continue inform me that he was pleased to learn he had that much power over an Amazon seller, adding that he was glad that my Dad had died because now I knew how I'd made him feel by not doing what he told me to do. Amazon replied that the customer is entitled to his own opinion (the comments and the negative,) neither are against their policy. So with a very long answer (sorry about how terribly long this is!) is very easy for a small time seller to be banned from selling on Amazon through no fault of the seller.

Four years later, that there are still high volume sellers on Amazon with feedback at or near 100% negative and they are allowed to continue selling month after month. So if you think being thrown off a site means you deserve it, think again. I have one bad sale, yet there are a number of high volume sellers on Amazon who consistently bringing in bad ratings and they are excluded from the same rules that ran me off the site, because they bring in a lot of business for Amazon.

Jalanne

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Jan 9 14:33:56 2013

@Jalanne

What a story! None of my encounters with legally insane people on eBay rival what you went through. I do wonder how this person thought you could have removed two fonts subsequent to the CD being pressed. I hope, if you are selling elsewhere now, that your sales are not so "interesting."

by: tmooreseller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 14:52:07 2013

Ha. I closed my Amazon account in November of last year for the constant glitches and other irregularities caused by Amazon. If you are trying to sell anything on Amazon (or eBay for that matter) forget about fairness. If you are a seller being excoriated by a disgruntled customer who clearly has a screw loose somewhere, remember that you are innocent until proven guilty. Demand that the customer prove his claims, then find another place to sell and never use Amazon again.

You have to remember that these giant selling sites are only concerned with getting your listing money and not helping you to sell the item, whatever it is. You are better off getting your own site and selling direct, or find another reputable marketplace which will not screw you over the way Amazon and eBay do. Even then, there are no guarantees in life, so be prepared.

My particular situation involves the fact that my books stopped selling on Amazon after starting to pick up. The reason appears to be that Amazon experienced computer glitches which lost sales for its authors. Amazon will not under any circumstances explain why a lot of authors' books are not being sold, and their canned responses are a source of distress for many. I wisely chose to leave rather than subject myself to much heartache, as I consider any store which does such a lousy job of selling to its "millions" of customers to be a loser. Junk the losers and find the actual winners to sell from.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 15:45:58 2013

@Brainiac jones - I feel the same way about this forum; where comments are posted, it's usually a cacophony of the same dozen or so of the usual suspects who are disgruntled naysayers just whining about their bad experiences, contributing nothing helpful to those of us who are still on whatever venue (mostly eBay).  Now I'm no fanboy; I readily admit the problems are rampant and many complaints legitimate (I've had a few myself), but the constant 'eBay is evil' mantra just is not useful and is very demotivational to those of us trying to make a living there, like having a disgruntled coworker who constantly bad-mouths management.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 15:50:46 2013

@tmooreseller - this is a bit (a lot) off-topic, but speaking of Amazon glitches, while people here gripe about eBay's search (and I hate "Best Match" default myself), Amazon's search is just psycho.  Last night, for example, I was looking for Asian pho/soup/rice spoons on Amazon, and one of the searches I tried, "black Chinese Soup Spoon," included a result for Clairol red hair dye!  WTF??????  If I get that on eBay, I can at least usually identify WHY (keyword spamming, etc.) but on Amazon, it just makes no sense, and happens often with wildly irrelevant search hits.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 15:58:49 2013

More to the topic, and Ina's question #3 about workarounds, legit or otherwise, all you have to do is search 'eBay stealth' or 'Amazon stealth' and you'll find workarounds.  It works, and works pretty well (I know people who have done it; I have not had the need yet), but requires a fair amount of technical computer & network/web knowledge & skill, and a great deal of care to keep from getting caught. A few aspects of it are even questionably legal, but if it's how you have to make your living, you're an honest seller not out to rip people off, and you've been suspended for something stupid (like stealing two fonts off a factory-sealed CD - yeesh!), then yes, it *does* work to get you back in business after a suspension or outright ban.  I've heard from several that a ban from either Amazon or eBay is essentially a lifetime, family (shared name, address, IP addy) ban from ever selling there again.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Jan 9 19:11:00 2013

@ greenmountainsgirl,

Sorry about the imbecilic and sadistic buyer; most of the problem here is that much of this analysis is automated—little or no (logical) human intervention is involved …

Nothing unusual about favored sellers receiving less, or even no, scrutiny (eBay: “No Touchy …”); eBafia does the same thing to the even gross extent of blatantly aiding and abetting auction fraud on buyers … it’s all about the bottom line … http://bit.ly/N1nTlc

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Jan 9 19:40:09 2013

Greenmountainsgirl a.k.a. Jalanne - your buyer would leave many in the fetal position - requiring mass quantities of chocolate to draw them back to life!

I agree with Phil's comment about automation. It may be efficient for big business, but it is so often  destructive to true effective customer service.

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 21:52:14 2013

I think we can all agree Ebay's DSR system tends to favor large seller's
We sell enough that DSR's do not have quite the impact they did at one time

But many small seller's have been irreparably harmed by this system

Also many sellers suspended from ebay by some policy's that have since changed should get another shot

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 22:50:09 2013

From what I understand it is very easy to get a "new" ebay account--just use a new and different PAYPAL account and you are (allegedly) good to go.  IT can be the "tie in" of the same PP acct that gets ya caught.

I have also heard that as long as you use a DIFFERENT email addy linked to a "new"  ebay account you can use the same old Paypal acct.

Let us know if any of these work---ya never know when you might NEED a bolt hole!

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 22:51:42 2013

YMMV : http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-suspensions/78-ebay-suspensions-guid
e-how-get-back-ebay.html

Basically
use a different: address, eMail, IP, CC and erase cookies.

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 9 23:33:19 2013

I had one ebay account. One night on a whim I started a second account.
Ebay at one point ran a purge. They threw out loads of "bad" sellers. i was one, told it was PERMANENT.
I immediately started to use my second account. Same paypal, different emai since every account needs to have its own email address.
Worked fine.
One day i happened to look at my original account. Looked good. i listed, it worked. Permanent was only until ebay wanted more fees.
The lesson, every small sellers should have a second, valid account.

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 11 10:38:02 2013

blaumann is correct, have more than one account and keep them active....I have three that I sell completely different items on.  Not that it matters much anymore, I listed maybe 25 items last year between the 3.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 12 00:39:59 2013

@Comet - No, it's not that easy. They use fairly sophisticated means to 'link' banned accounts to others, including web beacons in e-mails, IP addys, and 'similar' information, listing formats, profiles, etc.  For more detail, follow the link @DonC posted, but he has spelled out the basics there.

That all being said, I was 'building a nest' in a new account as backup, and got caught buying penny auctions to build some 'starter' feedback (which they hate). Got a little too aggressive and got caught.  As I'd used the same IP, PayPal, etc. as my two other long-standing accounts, I was terrified they would associate those with the banned account and I'd be out of business.  You know, they never did.  I felt lucky, though, because some have been banned simply for using a 'public IP' (coffee shop wi-fi) that was shared by a banned user.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Jan 12 01:42:03 2013

"A friend of mine in college got caught shill-bidding a scientific calculator he was selling, and eBay banned the *entire* domain at the college.  For about a month, no one on that campus could access eBay!"

Which just goes to show how stupid they are and how simple their systems really are ...

"Sophistication"? No one at eBay has any concept of the meaning of the word ...

by: WiLass This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 25 03:36:22 2013

JUST email the Attorney General for Consumer Protection in your state. Fill out the form and file a complaint. ebay/amazon is given a  deadline to explain why the suspension happened and offer a solution. They will reinstate usually if their info is very shakey (which it always is).

Sellers forget that they are actually customers of ebay or amazon and they actually have protection per their state's consumer protection laws.  Make sure to indicate how much money you pay to the sites per year for their services. You pay these sites plenty per year for privilege of selling there, and the sites  are playing loose and easy with the seller's ability to sell their products and make a living.