Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Sept 26 2012 23:38:19

eBay Eliminates Buyer Addresses from Email Notifications

Sellers are reporting that as of Wednesday morning, eBay is no longer including buyers' addresses in the email notifications when a listing has sold. An EcommerceBytes reader believes it's a conscious move to prevent sellers from inadvertently sending packages to the wrong address.

"I don't remember any announcement from eBay but this may be one way to eliminate confusion between the mailing address that comes from the eBay "listing sold" email and the shipping address that comes from the payment," the reader said. "The addresses might be different for example when someone sends a gift to someone else."

Sellers were also discussing the issue on the eBay boards. One seller was not happy with the change, explaining that she "cut and pastes" from the email notifications - "so, she wrote, "it is an extra 2 steps to get to, in order to cut and paste this state into my excel spreadsheet. Hopefully its a short term thing..."

Other comments included, "It is a bit of a pain because it is nice to know where the buyer is situated. Not a major pain, but something that needn't have been tampered with," and "You always want to use the address that comes with the PayPal payment. Sometimes they aren't the same for some reason, and Seller Protection will only apply if you used the one provided with PayPal. Maybe they changed this to avoid the problem??"

So the reviews are mixed - some sellers find this change adds extra work - and sellers are striving to cut seconds and minutes from each transaction, not add time to their daily tasks. Others believe it could help sellers avoid sending packages to the wrong address - which is a costly mistake.

Both are important issues that could cost sellers time or potentially save them money - let us know if you've noticed this change, and what you think.

Perminate Link for eBay Eliminates Buyer Addresses from Email Notifications   eBay Eliminates Buyer Addresses from Email Notifications

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Sep 27 00:52:17 2012

To avoid any possible confusion, between buyer's eBay addresses and PayPal addresses, all our listings clearly state that we will only ship to the buyers address as shown in PayPal.

Because of the klunky nature and many glitches outages associated with eBay shipping, we refuse to use it and process our shipping labels through PayPal Multi Order Shipping. The less we let eBay into our transactions the better off we are.

Our thinking is that buyers are much more likely to keep their address current in PayPal than they are in eBay since their PayPal accounts are tied to banking and credit card information. We have yet to experience a problem shipping to buyer's PayPal address.

by: thediamondguy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 01:13:33 2012

If this costs a seller money they should be looking into other ways to make their business efficient. This is why eBay favoritism goes towards the larger sellers, because the small sellers tend to half ass everything they do.. and that sir is a bad business model.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Sep 27 06:54:13 2012

Basically I do the same as Ric for the same reasons.

When there is a discrepancy & I point it out to the buyer, 99.9% of the time it was the eBay address they forgot to update. Same with email addresses.  PayPal's is usually correct if it does not match eBays.

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 07:21:53 2012

Won't be long before we won't be able to get the buyers address until we actually print a shipping label.

Now that would be something to whine about.

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 07:50:08 2012

since i ship to Canada, i like to see the address up front so i know the correct packaging to use. don't really care/want any additional steps or clicks in the process.

i only wish my opinion mattered to ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Sep 27 07:57:21 2012

If a buyer has not updated his address in eBay, any problem with the shipping address should either be the responsibility of the buyer or eBay.  eBay is pushing sellers to use eBay shipping and how can the seller be at fault if the address is not correct?   Moreover, eBay Trust & Safety should be concerned if the eBay address does not match the PayPal address.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Thu Sep 27 10:48:26 2012

Doesn't bother me, Azon and ABE don't display the shipping address in the SOLD notifications either.  I have to log in anyway to print the packing list, and I copy/paste the address into my Dymo from there.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 11:41:26 2012

More "make work" on Ebay's part....not whether its useful or not...not even whether it works or not.  Just somebody getting paid to do something different!  I think Ebay can fire a third of its programmers and designers and nobody would ever miss them!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Sep 27 13:32:13 2012

Correction: Unlike Ric (his middle paragraph), I DO use eBay shipping labels. I have not had the major problems others have had so I use it.

Address on the PayPal receipt is compared to the address that comes up on the label screen. My listings warn buyers the PayPal address is the one I print, no exceptions.

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 13:52:25 2012

@Basset

We have an advisory in the very first paragraph of our listings that about 5% pay any attention to and let me say this once again, it's the first paragraph.

This isn't intended as a confrontation, it's a statement of fact. Buyers on Ebay read little if anything in listings on the whole. Try to tell Ebay you ''warned'' in your listing text once an issue presents itself and all you'll hear in return albeit in a language you may not understand is ''TOUGH LUCK''.

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 14:40:57 2012

Not all pay immediately upon purchase. If payment isn't received in 2-3 days time after we've invoiced through Ebay, we have to send a direct invoice to the buyer's e-mail address so we'll have an easily accessed record in our out-box to follow so we can remind and/or file a non-pay at the appropriate time in order to recover fees if needed.

For all Ebay changes in the past 4 plus years along with the system glitches and attitudes created, it now takes 5-10 times longer on average than it did those 4 plus years ago just to complete all start to finish.

Not having that easily accessed record related to above will create yet another 5-10 times longer through having to go in to our account, scrolling to see who hasn't made payment needing reminder and/or request for FVF and the time waste doesn't end there as we'd have to go through a lengthy process of check & double check as to what back & forth communication with the buyer that we have at a quick glance the way we keep records with what has been the current only 5-10 times longer to complete all start to finish.

2 times longer than what all took at one time doesn't justify time vs. profit after all fees, 5-10 times longer has been a nightmare we had hoped would end once the site came to its senses yet they now wish to make all take 15-20 times longer.

John Donahoe lives a brand of paranoia that far surpasses that of the worst case scenario meth addict as he suffers from the most all consuming form of addiction on the face of this planet which is a singularly self-serving application of agenda.

Certain individuals have tagged me and others like me as Ebay haters which in fact is opposite from reality. We are the ones who see Ebay banging one nail after another in to their own coffin, we are in fact doing all we can to perform an intervention.

Better wake up before it's too late unless that point has already been passed Ebay as you are headed towards understanding the factual full definition of AgendaSwallowsAll.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Sep 27 15:33:52 2012

@Agenda - I agree with you about the failure to read!

I've been fortunate the few times people have let me know they forgot to change their address, I was able to parrot my listing verbiage: ''...my listing clearly states I use the PayPal address.....'' The buyers DID take responsibility that it was their fault regarding the address, while I agreed to work with them if the item returned here. It always worked out OK, but I also know it could turn out very differently with a less responsible buyer. I have just been lucky. And they wonder why sellers become paranoid.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 23:23:30 2012

I ignore the eBay emails anyway and generally delete them without opening.  I use the PayPal payment email to get the address.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 27 23:41:47 2012

I hate nasty surprises and I have had a few when buyers don't update their address on their ebay account. I use the postage calculator on the listing form (or TurboLister) which calculates the cost to the buyer's address on ebay.

I sometimes eat the extra postage when this happens, but if it is substantial, I send a request for the additional amount. I know I'm risking a nasty, but it is the buyer's fault,  not mine and I'm tired of paying for other people's mistakes.

Since ebay and Paypal are joined at the hip, different addresses on those 2 accounts should throw up a red flag and the user should not be able to list items or make purchases until the information is brought in line.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 28 00:18:14 2012

@sickandtired---

Yep and try and TELL ebay and it's evil twin PreyPal that they should CO-ORDINATE their info and they will try and CO-ORDINATE a firing squad for YOU!!!!

For some reason--maybe it is the paranoia of the Ho----these two seem to fear letting one hand know what the other is doing more than any companies I have ever run into.

And for some reason--and in this I am CERTAIN it is the Ho's weird psycho illness and delusion---they are so freaking SCARED that a buyer and a seller might have some REASON to talk to one another that I am surprised we are NOT forced to send the item to some central warehouse for "processing" with the item transaction number on the front.   Whereupon it could be sorted by machines and sent on it's way.  That would ELIMINATE the human factor alltogether and make it damn near impossible for a seller and a buyer to ever get together for any reason much less further transactions.

Because ebay would collapse into a puddle if a buyer and a seller spoke to one another much less made a sale after the one that brought them together using ebay.

by: Michael in BC This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 28 00:24:35 2012

I don't like it.  As I ship much of what I sell within Canada, I have to know in which province someone lives in order to determine the required sales tax - which could be 5%, 12%, 13% or 15%.  Also, for shipping purchases, if something is to travel by Canada Post Xpresspost, I know that if a buyer is in Alberta, it's a regional cost, and if in Ontario, it's a national cost (higher).  I ask in all my listings for buyers to wait for my invoice and not to use 'pay now', in order that these factors can be worked in to the total

Now what am I supposed to do.....send a message or email to every buyer asking exactly where they live ?   Why on earth can't they leave things alone ???

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 28 02:42:10 2012

I don't print shipping labels and I don't plan to. I want to see addresses someplace. I want to hand letter my packages. I prefer that to buying postage through ebay. Just another bad deal on the horizon.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 28 02:49:44 2012

Personally I don't like it.  While I always ship to the address that appears on the PP payment, this is where the rules of Ebay differ a little from PP.

One of the qualifications to be covered under PP seller protection is to ship to the address stated as the ship to address on the payment.  [not something they just note on the payment].

But in Ebay it says one of the qualifications is that you ship to the address in Ebay OR Paypal.

by: Overlandgadgets This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 28 06:43:23 2012

I sat here for the past two years shrugging off negative comments concerning Ebay as I have been selling there with little or no problem.  Yesterday they dropped my TRS status because I did not upload 2 shipping transactions in 2 months.  I have now joined the Anti-Ebay" group.  What a bunch of idiots.  I closed my store ($50.00 per month) and unsubscribed to Blackthorne Pro ($30.00 per month) and got real busy on my own site.  So ebay no longer has to pay me the whopping 20% on final fees (most of my items sold go for under $10.00 with shipping).  In summary, ebay gains about $5.00 per month but looses $80.00 per month.  I am now convinced that ebay is either going to become "The Dollar Store" of the internet or go out of business completely.  No place for a small seller.  Thanks for letting me vent, Tom

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Sep 28 07:52:55 2012

Michael in BC says:  "Why on earth can't they leave things alone ???"

Because many of their MBAs would be out of jobs. Quite ridiculous, but if they are not in the constant "this house will never be built" mode many of these out of touch MBAs would get pink slips.  They are justifying their existence.   It makes for a very unstable venue to sell on, and their constant changes cause sellers a lot of extra work and lots of extra headaches.

And with these constant changes, expect more and more technical glitches.  The information technology department must be at their wits end trying to keep up with the constant changes.

Can you imagine being in one of those MBA brainstorming sessions?  "Oh, I have an idea, I have an idea" ad nauseam.  LOL