Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 20 2012 12:21:02

eBay Tweets Shopping Survey - Where Do You Shop?

eBay announced a new survey using its Twitter account and is giving respondents a chance to win a $100 and $400 gift card. "Complete an @eBay survey + 20 minute activity and you could win a $100 or $400 gift card! http://bit.ly/OqNSpd  Retweet to tell your friends!"

The survey asks users for their age and gender, and then asks them to share information about their shopping behavior, including which online and offline stores they've made recent purchases and what types of items they've purchased in the past year.

It's interesting to see which sites and stores eBay is asking shoppers about - eBay provides the following options: Amazon.com, eBay.com, Etsy.com, Target (in store or online), Walmart (in store or online), or None of these.

eBay also asked respondents how often they purchased products on the Internet, and what types of items they purchased within the past year:

- clothing and accessories
- electronics and computers
- hobby items
- toys for a child (ages 2-12)
- toys (antiques/vintage/collector's items)

Noting its choice of retailers and categories, eBay seems most interested in going after the discount shopper. Where do you shop?

Perminate Link for eBay Tweets Shopping Survey - Where Do You Shop?   eBay Tweets Shopping Survey - Where Do You Shop?

by: JoJo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 13:13:25 2012

Not on ebay.

And just for comparison, when Amazon does a survey they send you a gift card of a certain amount, not just a chance to win one.  LOL.

by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 13:57:12 2012

Never on Ebay.

by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 13:59:42 2012

I don't auctions, I want to buy it and know I have it. It's too much trouble to wade thru a bunch of muck in hopes to find what I want. Then much of it is used anyway.
Except for my husband who buys cable on ebay, I can't think of reason to subject myself to it

by: JoJo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 14:15:14 2012

My husband occasionally buys some obscure auto part on ebay but it's always a last resort.

I won't shop there at all.  Haven't for years.  But there are usually 2-3 Amazon boxes arriving at my door each week and I'll buy special things on Etsy for gifts.  They actually have some neat sellers that do silk ties in unusual designs for that hard to shop for man and some cool vintage cuff links, etc.  And I'll buy on individual websites for various things.  But I'm part of the 30% who bypass Google and start most of my item searches on Amazon.

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 14:37:04 2012

A new survey with the old logo? Haha.

Also, why no mention of the new user agreement? Shouldn't they tell people they could get their bank accounts robbed through ebay-paypal and that the victims will have no recourse?

Shouldn't they alert people that lots of the items there are either fake or stolen? Hardly a day goes by you don't see something about a  $million  shoplifting operation or stolen items recovered from ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Sep 20 16:09:03 2012

Where we shop:
My fave B&M stores are those like Ross, Marshalls, Tuesday Morning & the like. You never know what you will find. They remind me of eBay past. Cool stuff deeply discounted. This is where I do my impulse buying. Of course I love estate sales & some thrift stores too, for the same reasons.

I still shop on eBay, I have a harder time finding what I'm looking for these days. I hope that when I do, I am supporting some of the posters here. I do get most office & business supplies there from long time sellers.

I seldom buy new clothing for myself, but I have had a problem buying pre-owned clothing from some of the newer sellers. I've received stained items to the point that I have really cut down on buying clothing - I AM a bit critical because I sell pre-owned clothing myself & these instances affect responsible seller's reputations because we are all lumped together.  Why on earth would you omit disclosing a stain! Mistakes happen, but not over & over like this! I am interested to see what the new expanded  ''condition'' item specific box will be like for this very reason.

Amazon for some hard to find grocery items & things I can't find on eBay. Love or hate them - Walmart online for when I don't want to travel to the super Walmart which is some distance away. The smaller Walmart's are iffy on having what I want, so I go online & I only have positive things to say about the experience.

We are SO blessed with ethnic markets around here. They save $$$ and provide variety & fun!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Thu Sep 20 17:35:20 2012

The survey is very odd.

Questions 5-9 don't make the distinction between B&M or online.
It would be hard to find someone who doesn't buy clothing once a year except for the people spinning or making their own clothing.

It is the old adage GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

Gotta love ethnic markets, but a lot of that stuff is online as well and even in your local stupormarket. I remember that Winn-Dixie had a gourmet food aisle featuring Ronzoni pasta. (The garlic in the produce section was just shy of dessicated).

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Sep 20 18:08:23 2012

@Al - The shelf stable ethnic market stuff costs more online. The markets & chain grocery stores are apples & oranges here.  The markets are REALLY low cost if you know where to go: Asian in General, Laos, Vietnamese, Polish, Lebanese, Greek, Italian with REAL handmade pasta & bread to take home & cook. AND don't forget the cannoli!

*forget Winn-Dixie & their garlic:) Publix is king around here! I think we have one on every block.

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 20 21:32:35 2012

Up till 2010 we spent thousands of dollars a month on Ebay. Since then 0, nothing, nada.

To many sellers with entitlement attitudes who have worst customer service than Ebay.

Amazon or Craigslist is our site of choice now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Sales Smith

Fri Sep 21 00:35:43 2012

Is it just me or does it seem the trolls are working both sides to cloak their intentions?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Sep 21 13:19:45 2012

Something interesting - I search routinely on eBay for a name brand kitchen storage item. Look at a search almost every day although there are less sellers selling this item.

In my regular email, I get an email from Amazon showcasing this very same item from some of THEIR  sellers - AND the prices are less! Way less!

Coincidence? Buyer habit tracking & marketing at work?

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 21 15:27:27 2012

@Al G
Yes I thought those questions have you bought clothes in the last year etc were lame.

Amazon is always going to out sell ebay in day to day consumer stuff as they have a great shopping experience and they know how to screw prices down.

I see that Target and Walmart are not going to stock the Kindle!

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Fri Sep 21 16:10:39 2012

@Basset

I'm a big proponent of ethnic markets. Got a Polish deli 2 miles up the road (4 different types/prices of kielbasa, breads etc). An Asian joint 3 miles the other way (fresh roast pork & duck every Thurs. afternoon up from NYC), Spanish, Food Bazzar ethnic supermarket nearby (was a Shaws, carries oxtail & pork belly, great fish dept too), I'm not hurting.

And yes, they are cheap! $0.99 vs $2.99/lb for tomatillos for instance. The only reason I mentioned online shopping is if you live in East Jibib or are looking for a particular okonomiyaki mix (or 2 lbs of salmon eggs which beats driving into NYC & back).

The Winn-Dixie thing happened in the mid 1970s when I was visiting Asheville NC regularly. I'm sure it has changed since then with the Northerners infiltrating & bringing that uppity food culture down to the land of catfish frys & BBQ. The one good thing then was you could get iced tea year round. Up north, they gave you a funny look when you wanted one in the winter. Gee - I'll have a hot glass of Moxie instead - not!

Got spoiled with cannoli on Arthur Ave in 'da Bronx where I grew up.

Have fun & beagles are just like bassetts, just smaller.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Sep 21 17:56:44 2012

Al G - Aha - a fellow foodie! & My first dog was a beagle. The dogs just got stretched out into Bassets as I got older.

Maybe a possible future discussion topic might be if & where people buy food - grocery items online! Who knows, maybe some here sell or have sold food items. I'm sure it has a different set of challenges with storage, expiration, & shipping.

Some grocery stores have tried online orders with pick-up or delivery, but I don't really know how much success they have had at it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Sat Sep 22 08:55:48 2012

Apparently Peapod order/delivery - a subsidiary of Stop&Shop (Ahold Corp) does well enough in the NYC-Boston area to be visible with their trucks scurrying around.

I'd agree with a discussion/survey with on-line food habits. I think there was some discussion of a spice site here & moving to its own web site from Amazon/ebay (new spelling! all lower case, how appropriate).

I wonder if there are any figures out there as to the market valuation of online food.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Sat Sep 22 08:57:06 2012

Oh yes - my normal avatar on blogs is a "Dining Car in Other Direction" sign from a Pullman car, but it won't reproduce too well given the size constraints here - boo!

by: Red Ink Diary This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 23 23:43:23 2012

I completed the survey and was told my response was not useful. Perhaps the lack of eBay purchases since 2008 (yes I am still boycotting) had something to do with that.

I have shopped both Target & WalMart B&M in the last two months, tend to spend too much on vintage china online, get an Amazon box at least weekly, buy food from Schwans on a regular basis, order online they deliver every other week. Most of my fabric is bought online.

Nope, my response couldn't tell eBay a thing.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Sun Sep 30 05:59:16 2012

I've held off commenting on this topic, hoping that someone else would explain that email addresses are NOT anonymous. Regardless of the promises of no spam, your response to this survey is identified by a database far more intricate that Lexus-nexus. They know who you are, your credit score, your income, your physical address and just need a bit more information about you in order to sell your entire soul to marketing hell. You won't get a 'direct' email, but everything about you, your cookies, browser history and every aspect of your life will be in a database that is traded as data about YOU.

If I ever respond to these types of surveys, I do so with the wrong age, sex, and outrageous info to make damn sure that their 'data' is totally wrong.