Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Thu Sept 6 2012 13:04:49

PayPal Inserts Ads into Email Notifications

eBay found another way to monetize its PayPal payment service - PayPal is now inserting ads into the email notifications it sends sellers. It's not known if PayPal is doing the same for buyer notifications.

An EcommerceBytes reader wrote today:

"I use PayPal email notifications on my merchant account both as a packing slip, also as a physical receipt of payment for the IRS. Today PayPal stated inserting adverts right in the middle of the notification of payment email (see pic).

"Why can't these people just leave useful things alone instead of constantly trying to monetize everything, making a useful email worthless. I'll stay clear of anything they advertise as my voice of dissent....PLUS I never click on links in emails period, especially from eBay and PayPal who's account holders are a favorite target for phishing."

Let us know what you think, and if you're seeing ads in new places on eBay, PayPal or other marketplaces and services, and when you started seeing them.

Perminate Link for PayPal Inserts Ads into Email Notifications   PayPal Inserts Ads into Email Notifications

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 13:24:40 2012

by: rqtball This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 13:25:52 2012

as a seller what a waste of $$ for the company paying for the ad.

sellers dont like ads to begin with and wont click on ads in their payment emails just as they wont click ads in their items on ebay.

Maybe they should target buyers emails from ebay/paypal instead??

targeting the group that despises ads in their items/emails does not make much sense.

by: rqtball This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 13:26:44 2012

maybe sellers should start clicking on every ad in every payment they get just to up the click count...hey its in MY email in MY email box...might as well click them all! then just shut the screen down!

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 13:44:24 2012

paypal would pimp out their grandma if they had one!

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Thu Sep 6 13:57:58 2012

I for one DON'T hope PayPal will collapse, for then the protoplasmic slime that is their workforce will ooze out, and contaminate the rest of the Web!

This user has validated their user name. by: eBankrupted

Thu Sep 6 14:19:48 2012

I enjoy advertizing everywhere I go. Without these constant distractions, I would remember what I was doing, and I wouldn't need a drool-cup attached to my chin.

I'm just counting the days until there's advertizing on toilet paper rolls; a different ad on each square! Spam on PayPal payments is important to all the spam hoarders who depend on spam for even being able to blink, and salivate regularly. I even thank spam everyday for my ear wax production.

Knowing that PayPal cares enough about me to spam my payment notifications, I feel distracted, and have the sudden urge to get off the computer, leave my phone at home and read gang graffiti on rocks.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 14:54:58 2012

It just goes to show you - just when you think eBay/Paypal have sunken as low as they can, they prove you wrong!

Since neither Paypal or eBay is trustworthy, ipsfacto the companies that they advertise arent either - so I wouldnt trust them.

OR maybe I should use one of thier services and hold up payment and give them ... what they gave me until I threatened them with a law suit - %10 every 60 days!

Arent sellers the lowest of the low anyway? Why would Paypal even think to try and sell us ANYTHING? LMAO!

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 15:03:47 2012

I don't see anything wrong with it.

It may help Paypal keep their fees low.

And Yes I just wondered why they have not tried it on toilet paper?
but ebankrupted beat me to it. I may patent the idea. Perhaps ebay could advertise on the toilet paper. That would be fun!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Sep 6 15:50:52 2012

All of my emails from PayPal have mysteriously stopped. I'd actually LIKE to receive an email from PayPal... especially when it's letting me know that I have received a payment.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Sep 6 15:51:25 2012

Would switching to text only notifications reduce the visibility or eliminate them? I'm going to try it.

Ebay and PayPal looks more like slum garage sales everyday.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Sep 6 18:12:32 2012

I thought eBay's CEO wanted to improve the user experience by letting go of the garage sale image that he felt prevailed at eBay.

Apparently, Mr Donahoe has no reservations what so ever about carpping up the site with advertising the way a garage sale seller posts signs on telephone poles in their neighborhoods.

Recently viewed items displayed on search pages
 Popular items advertised on search pages
 Bonus Offer advertisements for Bill Me Later on search pages
 Promotional advertisement for Bill Me Later on Seller listing pages
 Not one, but two advertisements for eBay's Buyer Protection Plan on Seller Listing pages
 Similar items advertised on seller listing pages
 Sponsored Advertising Links on Seller Listing Pages
 Advertisement for the eBay Mastercard displayed on seller listing pages
 Advertising inserted into PayPal payment notices
 Direct eMails promoting Coach, Sony and every other Diamond Seller willing to pay eBay for the exposure

Coming soon...
 Sponsored advertising inserted into eBay transaction notices to buyers
 Sponsored advertising inserted into eBay transaction communications to sellers

The list of advertisements splattered across eBay is worse than the garage sale signs plastered on every neighborhood telephone pole.

Apparently, Mr Donahoe does not care if advertisements litter the site and create that good old garage sale imagery as long as there is either a paying sponsor or a financial benefit for eBay in the process.

It is refreshing to see that Mr Donahoe obviously believes the garage sale image is successful as he brings eBay back to the cluttered junk pile with revenue generating advertisements that detracts from the user experience.

Perhaps the plan is to harass buyers and sellers to the point that they are willing to pay a fee to be able to opt out of all the annoying advertising on the site and in communications the way the mob charges shop owners for protection from their own thugs.

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 18:20:37 2012

Use Firefox with Ad Blocker and you won't get them. Same with Fleabay you don't get any of the advertising they send out.

Can't believe people are complaining about this when the solution is so simple.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Sep 6 18:20:47 2012

Patricia observed:

"Boy...that stinks but since they're under Ebay's armpit I guess it was inevitable!"

Actually, PayPal is located much lower inside the ebay anatomy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Sep 6 18:35:44 2012

This is simply another pathetic example of eBay's many desperate attempts to stem the atrophying of its revenue stream—nothing more nothing less ...

The real question is, will the eBay Dept of Spin be able to generate any more hot air to also inflate the third quarter results for Wall Street …

Regardless, if you compare the share price performance of eBay and Amazon over the past five years, Wall Street does not think much of eBay anyway …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Sep 6 18:51:01 2012

I paid an invoice with PayPal this morning (not an eBay item) and there wasn't any advertising on my notification of sent payment. So as of this morning at least, they aren't spamming buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Sep 6 19:31:32 2012

Somebody please explain how ebay is different than the Mafia.

The only difference I've been able to think of in the few years is that Godfather Ho kills businesses rather than people directly.

Think about. There's really virtually no difference so why isn't the Justice Dedpartment investigating them under the RICO statutes?

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 6 21:10:08 2012

@Ming
re: Somebody please explain how ebay is different than the Mafia.

Ebay and paypal are much more organized and thorough.

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Thu Sep 6 23:09:29 2012

@Digmen1- If eBay were to advertise on toilet paper they'd probably charge you a "wiping fee"

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 7 00:18:47 2012

If the ads don't work out for them, next step will be selling your email address to companies directly. Mark your calendars. It's either in the privacy policy now, or they'll quietly amend the policy when they're ready.

It's pretty easy to see what these guys will do next. Just conjure up the sleaziest, slimiest things you can imagine and they'll come out with something 10 times worse!

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 7 03:41:32 2012

I'd even buy some of that ebay toilet paper if it came with JD's photos on them.