Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sat Aug 25 2012 16:01:53

eBay Summer Surveys and Testing New Layouts

eBay does quite a bit of live testing on its site and often surveys users about changes it is considering. Here are the latest test and survey spotted by EcommerceBytes readers.

Another eBay Seller Survey
eBay recently revealed the results of a User Experience survey it conducted in July (see the report in this EcommerceBytes article).

Screenshots from another survey come to us from a reader who received the survey from eBay this month. This one asked how satisfied respondents were with various aspects of selling on eBay, including, "Value received compared with the fees paid for selling items" and "Final selling prices for your items."

eBay also wanted to know where sellers had sold items in the past 3 months, including Amazon, Craigslist, eBid, Etsy, Google, Yahoo, uBid, or on their own website.

Other questions included, "What could eBay do to make you more likely to recommend selling on eBay in the future," and, "Thinking about the past 3 months, have you had any bad experiences when selling an item on eBay?" One of the last questions asked respondents if they wanted to speak to someone at eBay about their survey comments.

Testing New Layout of My eBay Account Pages
eBay has been testing a new layout of its My eBay pages where sellers manage their accounts. Several sellers reported seeing the new layout for a brief window of time before it reverted back to the standard page.

Among the new features on the test layout, according to sellers who have seen it, are a more prominent search bar at the top of the eBay page, and less prominent links to the My eBay, Selling, Customer Service, and Community links at the top.

One seller there were also some cosmetic changes to the page that made it appear more like the eBay shipping page or the newer styled eBay checkout page.

Another seller said the Selling Manager, Buy, and Summary bars on the left had been changed. "Their normal light grey background had been removed in favor of white (which no longer differentiated them from the rest of the page) and the usual dark lines that divided the different selections had been lightened. The overall effect was a more cluttered page with a very definite focus on the bigger search bar."

He sent the following screenshot.

One change that a seller found problematic was that the test page he saw displayed his first name instead of his eBay ID in the extreme upper left hand corner at the top of the page. "I found this change rather annoying since I have both a buying and selling ID. That change made it necessary to hover over the name display to see which ID I was signed in under. The sign out link was also buried there and was not visible on the page without hovering over the first name display."

Let us know what you think of the latest survey and test, what changes you'd like to see eBay make - and be sure to take screenshots of any new features or surveys you see!

Perminate Link for eBay Summer Surveys and Testing New Layouts   eBay Summer Surveys and Testing New Layouts

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Aug 25 16:59:21 2012

Having had a minor computer issue late last week, I've been on 3 different computers. On one, I am getting the newer ''My eBay'' page. The search bar was so much bigger I almost overlooked it!

In doing some searches on a different computer, I noticed a different looking left sidebar with my search results.

The search results now include filters in a dual sliding bar form for  narrowing down a price range in search: you can move either side of the bar to shorten the price range you are looking for. (as a buyer, I can't think why I would use this!)

The thing I did NOT like was the sunshine icon for new (last 24 hour) listings was missing. C'mon eBay - I like that icon: (chorus) Please don't take my sunshine away!!! (or if you prefer Bill Withers: ''Ain't no Sunshine when she's gone'')

I did get my regular computer back, did a quick search & the results page was back to normal: ''Good Day Sunshine!''

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 25 17:55:36 2012

They are just trying to rearrange things to make more room for ADS.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 25 18:56:23 2012

Gee I wish they would ask me to do the survey.

You can see by the questions they are asking that they are worried.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Aug 26 05:05:13 2012

This survey definitely has the smell of death about it.

Given that the eBay marketplace has been effectively stagnant, if nor actually atrophying, since 2008, I'm still wondering where they got the supply of hot air to inflate their figures for the first two quarters of 2012 ...

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Aug 26 11:12:54 2012

More people report seeing new layout on main eBay pages (with the big search box and the pull-down menu for categories):

orthless/5100094840

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Aug 26 11:46:51 2012

I stopped taking these surveys and opted-out of all future surveys when it became clear to me that my responses in OPPOSITION to something generally resulted in eBay going ahead with whatever it was that I opposed.

In that regard, I firmly believe that these surveys are NOT being used by eBay as a way to discover what sellers want or need... INSTEAD... because eBay has already made up its mind and because there will be NO changes from their plans, these surveys are used to get a feel for the type of reactions sellers will have.

It's just a way for eBay to figure out (in advance) how to ''spin'' the upcoming changes... and how to frame the argument, and how to try and soften the blowback. It's all P.R. and totally meaningless when it comes to trying to guide eBay.

A complete waste of time. Why bother?

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 26 14:08:04 2012

What don't they grow up and give this survey idea the burial it deserves.  They have no intention of doing anything useful with the information they collect.  It is all so pretty blatant that this is what is called "putting on a good face."  I no longer bother with their surveys....what's the use?

From far back as I can remember they had "Voices" and other programs meant to listen to sellers - did they ever?  I rest my case!

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 26 15:15:47 2012

Repetita Juvant

Sellers Respond to New eBay Survey about Brand Perception
ecommercebytes  blog

Moderators Get Heavy-Handed on eBay Discussion Boards
ecommercebytes letters to the editor

ebay cafe forum
July 2012 User Experience Survey Results

by: feline This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 27 03:00:52 2012

Ebay surveys are about appearing to do something while doing nothing at all

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Aug 27 04:10:31 2012

Josh Goldman: "eBay really suffered with legacy problems," he said. "In their case, powerful sellers would get together and make a lot of noise and complaints with any change eBay tried to make. It must have been incredibly frustrating to be a product manager or engineer at eBay because you could create these wonderful things, and powerful seller groups would come to annual conventions or demand to speak meg Whitman and demand to make changes or they were going to go elsewhere, and eBay often succumbed. A lot of innovations, you might have found existed in eBay and then got killed because of this legacy situation."

Mr Goldman is hallucinating, methinks; or maybe he has simply been on another planet for the past five years; regardless, “part one” has been enough for me …

The trouble with “social commerce” is that no one is now doing any work …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 27 04:44:13 2012

I got the surveys and got confused with the Ebay Brand thing. I don't sell anything that Ebay manufactures and I must be muddle headed because I couldn't figure out what was branded.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 27 09:50:07 2012

The surveys are a waste of time.  If eBay actually listened to their sellers, they would not have implemented 90% of what they have implemented since Donahoe took the helm.

by: KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON THEM ALL! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 27 11:01:57 2012

Re : digman

"Gee I wish they would ask me to do the survey.

You can see by the questions they are asking that they are worried."

And WE couldn't be HAPPIER if they ARE.
The devil is finally giving ebay their due for SCREWING all the many thousands of hard working, honest sellers on that slimy pit of a site!

WE SAY GOOD.
All we can all hope is the entire platform collapses soon and opens the way for the many far more HONEST, CHEAPER and 'have integrity' sites to finally stand a chance.

HERE'S HOPING DONADUMASS IS LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB SOON - WE CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING HE IS WELL SUITED FOR THOUGH - PERHAPS MAFIA COLLECTIONS FLUNKY MAYBE...

by: JoJo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 27 11:25:16 2012

I recently took an Amazon survey.  Some of the things asked in that survey have already been implemented (quietly and without a lot of ''you spoke and we listened'' nonsense) and it looked like they had a good handle on what other things needed to be fixed.  In addition they sent me a $20 gift card for doing the survey.

Worlds different from eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Aug 27 22:11:23 2012

Regarding new design, it looks like the test that rolled out in May.

37305023.html

by: nsc This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 28 04:55:10 2012

@digmen, @annie: this one didn't read like a push poll (one where they are digging for support for a predetermined conclusion). It looks like eBay is finally getting worried about losing sellers. Good. But don't expect them to do anything productive; I just hope for a slowdown of destructive moves.

@Philip, strange as it may sound, I do believe that eBay as a company is afraid of their users; that's why they took to treating them so badly.

It's just bad business sense to go out of your way to make major policy changes on the sly, without telling your paying customers, and hope they are too stupid to notice -- yet eBay has done this over and over. At some point, eBay got traumatized by being yelled at by "the noise" (generally because eBay was doing something both stupid and time-wasting to the sellers) and decided to stop telling them anything it didn't absolutely have to.

Of course, Amazon does not have these problems because a) Amazon doesn't make such idiotic moves and b) Amazon announces its policies in a business-like fashion.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 29 09:39:08 2012

Many months ago someone posted a link here to a beta version of the my ebay page. I tried it and much prefer it to the "regular" version. I am registered on .com but list on .ca and I have bookmarked that beta page and it comes up for me regardless which site I'm on.

I thought it was odd that it has continued to work for me for such a long time.....I was always expecting it to become the "new" my ebay page. Hasn't happened yet, AND it isn't the same as this new, new one that ebay is apparently coming out with.

Weird stuff is going on with my non-beta version of my ebay page. I don't use it, but check it out periodically to see what it looks like. It is "stuck" on watched items as my landing page on both .com and .ca

When I try to change it to something else on the .ca site I just get "this page is not responding" when I hit apply.  On .com I can try to set it to any other page, but it stays the same - stuck on watched items.

I wonder how many different versions of ebay pages are actually floating around out there. No wonder the site is rife with glitches.....when the coders are tinkering with changes to anything, what might work fine for one page view may screw up a different page view.

We all know that you can take 5 different users on different computers using different browsers, signed in or not or and there will be variations in what each one will see - especially obvious when looking at search results.

Seems like ebay never learns - no matter how much they are willing to spend on executive bonuses or buying up other companies, they still can't seem to open the purse strings to fix the duct tape, binder twine and chewing gum that is holding the site together.

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 30 23:37:48 2012

Ebay obviously wants to get rid the various boards. There is just too much expression of discontent for management's taste. I need the answer center sometimes. Losing it will be another great Donahoe "improvement".

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 07:10:22 2012

TYPICAL EBAY

Wasting hours and hours redesigning stuff that doesn't NEED fixing, when there are hundreds of more important things to ''waste'' money on.

For example, they ban guns.

Why then is it allowed to sell BIOREACTORS and parts for same?

What possible good use does an individual have for a bioreactor?

Student, you say. Well I am certain most universities with a good use for this item already have one.

Scientist you say. Well, certainly if you are qualified to own one of these things, you can buy it from a reputable dealer.

UN BEEE LEEVEABLE.

Meanwhile, when you search for an item, why is the condition not listed right under the item title?

It isn't even an OPTION for a buyer to have it stated right under seller feedback, etc.

Why should I have to go to the left side and eliminate all used, for example, when they could just as easily let me opt in to have NEW NEW/OTHER, and USED right there while I look at the item title?

But LOOK FOLKS we re-did the colors on the tabs!!!!!

WOWWWEEEE!!

Give that IT person a raise, he was able to change one WORD of coding.

JEEZ!!

He must be a genius???

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 31 14:31:27 2012

@frustrated

Much like the changes to the shill bidding policies, ebay secretly allowed gun parts back for sale.

Now you can buy conversion kits and manuals to make full automatic weapons or machine guns. Go look. Because this country doesn't have enough gun violence. That and maybe because paypal found out that criminal legal defense funds are big moneymakers?