Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Aug 19 2012 17:05:07

Online Sellers Ask, Where in the World is Rolbe.com?

Forget Carmen San Diego - online sellers are asking, where in the world is Ryan Olbe? He's the developer behind a host of calculators used by sellers to calculate fees on PayPal and on marketplaces including eBay and Etsy.

The calculators are gone from his website, Rolbe.com, which is "parked," and his Twitter handle @RyanOlbe has been retired. Some users expressed concern about the developer.

The Rolbe.com tools had enthusiastic followers who counted on the calculators to help them determine listing strategies and to estimate fees on marketplaces such as eBay, Amazon and Etsy as well as online payment services like PayPal.

Olbe provided the tools for free and solicited donations from users. Selling online has gotten more complicated, and eBay's fees have become especially complicated. Many sellers used the tool to figure out how much to charge for items in order to get the desired profit margin for their products.

An EcommerceBytes reader said she hoped the disappearance of the fee calculators, selling tools, "not to mention a great web development blog" was temporary.

Another reader said the Rolbe eBay fee calculator was the easiest to use, and asked for ideas for other calculators.

Share your thoughts and tips in the comments!

Perminate Link for Online Sellers Ask, Where in the World is Rolbe.com?   Online Sellers Ask, Where in the World is Rolbe.com?

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 19 18:13:30 2012

Bought out by DE HO Puff gone.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Aug 20 02:34:37 2012

I assume there are a few ebay calculators around; here is another ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Aug 20 03:14:19 2012

Huh, I never heard of these. I just pop numbers into my own spreadsheets or write my own tools if I need them, so I never went looking for things like this. Maybe the guy is too busy to maintain them. Keeping up with eBay's endless changes can be difficult, as we sellers know all too well.

by: ScootersFinds This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 20 04:10:31 2012

I recently opened up a new eBay sellers account after a couple years of absence and was disappointed not to find Rolbe.com available. Just as Philip stated above there is another option that is updated and just as easy to use.

by: Shilpi Roy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 20 05:12:39 2012

Thanks for the information, was looking for the Rolbe.com but was not available. May be our eBay clients would get used to the available calculators.

This user has validated their user name. by: monkey

Mon Aug 20 12:26:22 2012

Hey this is pretty good info. I'm a small seller and I just fly by the seat of my pants ... but I will have to try this calculator.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Mon Aug 20 20:38:04 2012

The rolbe was my favorite.  The other ones are fine, but they don't have the Etsy, the PayPal and the Amazon all together in one place, so I could check to be sure my profit margin was the same across all the venues.

by: rojocru This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 21 20:41:12 2012

I use to always use the newlifeauctions calculators until one day I decided to use the one by Ryan Rolbe and liked it much more. One such reason is because the reverse calculator works very well and takes into account the cost of one's item.

For the newlifeauctions calculator, for a fixed price listing format, I put in $10 in the reverse calculator and nothing else above and it's telling me that I need to set a selling price of $11.96. So, I put $11.96 in the BIN field, and $0 for the item cost and am told that my net profit is $9.49 and in the reverse calculator I am now told I should have a selling price of $12.54. I go back and enter this amount in the BIN Price field and NOW I am shown $10 above for Net Profit. Why wasn't I given this price from the very beginning?

Also, if I first put in $20 in the Item Cost field and then I put $10 in the Reverse calculator, I am still told that I should have a selling price of $11.96. How can I make a profit of $10 by selling an item for $11.96, which cost me $20 to acquire?!

And finally, for auctions, it shows the incorrect final value fee for the category Business and Industrial. The final value fee for any auction is 9% regardless of the category (I believe the only exception might be stuff sold on eBay motors).

by: Lexie Thornton This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 25 14:04:08 2012

Darn it. I loved that calculator and was just using it a little while ago. It was an excellent resource.

by: rojocru This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 27 05:35:16 2012

Holy crap! The website states that he passed away in an accident.

by: germantowncandles This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 28 23:48:15 2012

This site seems pretty similar to Rolbe, it's new but I thought I would share.  http://www.feesnap.com/ebay.html

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Thu Aug 30 00:50:01 2012

"The author of this website has recently passed away in an unfortunate accident and this website is being taken offline. A new owner has purchased the domain but has no immediate plans to develop it. Users may wish to visit these alternative websites instead... "

I was afraid it was going to be something like this.

RIP Ryan.

by: flyleaf24 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 5 11:14:43 2012

The calculators have been posted back online at - http://rememberingrolbe.com/