Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Aug 13 2012 16:03:35

Suspicious Login Request Has eBay Users Worried

A suspicious login request has eBay users worried, but the problem is a recurring one on eBay. An EcommerceBytes reader sent a screenshot via email, and another reader reported the problem on the Ecommerce EKG board today.

eBay users reported receiving a pop-up with the message: "A username and password are being requested by http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com. The site says: "FE Build-A-Pool PROD Auth.""

We received the same message when browsing an eBay listing today, the message in the popup varied slightly: "A username and password are being requested by http://i.ebayimg.com. The site says: "FE Build-A-Pool PROD Auth.""

A search reveals reports of the problem as early as last year, and this eBay thread shows the problem recurring in January, May and June of this year.

We saw the pop-up on a listing page; a similar screenshot on the eBay boards showed the pop-up window on a search results page.

We're awaiting a response from eBay. Let us know if you've received this message by indicating so on the Ecommerce EKG board.

Update: In addition to the strange log-in requests, there are numerous other glitches being reported, especially disappearing photos - see latest blog post for more information.

Perminate Link for Suspicious Login Request Has eBay Users Worried   Suspicious Login Request Has eBay Users Worried

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Mon Aug 13 16:15:19 2012

Look at the url in the .htaccess password box, ebayimg.com is eBay's image server.

It's an issue with eBay images once again. I just called eBay regarding bogus charges to my account (although I cancelled my account three months ago) and got a message saying eBay was experiencing higher than normal call volumes due to an issue with eBay images.

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 17:03:39 2012

I'm getting this right now in Firefox. No matter how many times I hit CANCEL it comes back again in a few minutes!

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 17:14:03 2012

Yes, eBay is broken right now. Listings aren't pulling up as well.

Here's what we're seeing instead of our listing (of course, there is no notice at all on the system announcement board):

Sorry, that's not working right now.

The eBay function or feature you have requested is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
Check the eBay Announcement Board for major system issues and changes.
Thanks for your patience.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 17:28:50 2012

I got the pop-up, and when I try to list an item directly onto Ebay, the pictures won't load onto the the listing form. For ''Sell Similar'', the gallery image doesn't show when the item is listed.

I'm back to listing with Turbolister, and maybe loading items tomorrow, if the problem gets fixed.

Here comes a rant: Oh, how I wish I didn't have to sell at all on Ebay!!!!!!

But, we need the money.  What money? It's a mere pittance, anyway.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 17:30:29 2012

I have never been driven this crazy by ANYBODY I gave money to in my entire life.

PLEASE YAHOO/GOOgLE, someone big start a new auction site!!!!!!!!

My boss says call them.

HA, I would rather get lung cancer.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Aug 13 17:42:10 2012

Ina says: ''We're awaiting a response from eBay.''

Predicted Response: ''We have not made any significant changes to our servers but we often make minor adjustments in the spirit of continuous improvement. We appreciate and value customer feedback and will continue to evaluate our performance to make improvements where necessary. We are committed to providing the best online experience and service while balancing the needs of our customers, teammates and shareholders. This is a feature that is meant to increase awareness of popular, reputable brands and cement in buyers' minds that eBay is a trusted shopping destination.''

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Aug 13 17:43:31 2012

Or... "We are unable to duplicate the problem you described. I will submit your concerns to the programmers. In the meantime, please continue to use eBay with our smartphone app."

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 17:46:03 2012

@flustrated

As a survivor of lung cancer I can attest that what ebay does or doesn't do is a lot better.

Be careful what you wish for.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Aug 13 18:23:15 2012

Today:

1. ebay hosted images not displaying in gallery or inside those listings that are accessible.

2. Some listings not accessible or viewable.

In the last week

1. Gallery photos having to be reloaded.

2. Pages are unstable.

3. No or spotty PayPal payment email notifications

Sloppy, incompetent, sociopathic jerks who could care less who they damage or how much hardship their lying arrogance and negligence causes.

According to ebay, no problems exist that aren't posted on their system board. Therefore, no refunds necessary.

What does the little Ho have to say about this?

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 19:04:24 2012

ebay customer service is advising sellers not to list items due to site-wide glitches. That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

/5200100480

by: Grandma_Fish This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 19:06:02 2012

Wow, at least 4 different problem reports having to do with eBay's site on the EKG board today! I had that same problem with the pop-up this morning multiple times while doing searches on completed listings. I just spent the last 3 days with only 2 hours sleep revising all my store policies, banners, etc., in the process of reopening my store after a 3-month hiatus. I sure hope the whole site doesn't go crash now after I did all that work! Blech! :(

Didn't they have a problem with the site slowing to a crawl the last time they had one of those free listing promos?

by: markfromholland This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 19:14:53 2012

Relisting 1 (one) item just cost me 5 minutes and several attempts. Relist page getting stuck on images not loading.

eBay does not care. The money flows in anyway!

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 19:34:27 2012

They'll have this fixed soon. A new supply of floppy-discs is on the way

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 19:43:50 2012

Ebay is broken today. Cannot see pictures or item descriptions.

If they cannot keep the basic stuff working how in the world can sellers expect "Best Match" and search to work.

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Aug 13 19:48:28 2012

It's acting like a server bandwidth issue... if you wait long enough on the page... the images will eventually appear.  I have been listing all afternoon, and for stock images, the images will finally appear after about 5 minutes of waiting on the page.  Uploaded images are taking a bit longer.  The server authentication is apparently timing-out and then asking for the name and password needed for it to communicate with the main servers.  eBay needs to be checking for a bad CAT5 cable somewhere, a switch going bad, or a bad ethernet card in one or more of it's image servers, or a bad cable in one of its image RAID systems.  I used to do IT for a digital imaging company, and when this kind of stuff happened, it was usually traced to a failing switch or a bad CAT5 cable.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 20:33:45 2012

@windsorbear

Maybe you should post your solution over on the Ebay Technical Boards.  Ebay obviously needs your expertise.

Or, better yet, could you just pop on over and fix it for us?

Really? Do Sellers now have to fix Ebay problems in order to use the site?

Do they even have a tech department, or did they fire everyone in order to meet this quarter's estimated earnings?

by: Grandma_Fish This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 20:51:03 2012

@windsorbear

Thanks for the explanation. What you say makes perfect sense. Now that I think about it, I was eventually getting photos after I waited awhile, as well. Hope they get it fixed soon! Guess I'll just use Blackthorne, work off-line and try uploading my listings in a few days.

@Bloggo

LOL! Too funny!

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Mon Aug 13 21:07:45 2012

Well, here's what I'm seeing now... thumbnail images have started showing up on my "listing confirmation" emails for listings that have images that I uploaded; not getting any for those that I used stock images for.  My individual listings seem to have images now, but the thumbnails are still not showing up in the search lists for anything posted since late last night.  If they have gotten the problem fix... which I've got a feeling they have... then we are going to have to wait for the servers to sync up the images to the thumbnail database.  I don't know if this is something that happens automatically, or if the techs there will have to "push" this to get it to happen.  Either way, I don't expect to see thumbnails in search results for items posted today until sometime tomorrow.  Just my two cents worth... (and I severely burnt out on this IT server stuff when I used to do it... which is why I don't do it much anymore!!!)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Aug 13 21:09:19 2012

Just posted a new blog post to report the image problems, thanks!

by: JLS This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 13 23:28:04 2012

I too have been getting that log-in request today when trying to look at listings.  Also, my latest new listings are not showing any thumbnail photos when in a search mode.  I called eBay who told me that this is a whole site wide problem that they are aware of but don't yet have a ''fix'' for the problem.