Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Tue July 24 2012 03:48:58

eBay to Announce Fall Seller Update, TRS Sellers Impacted

eBay is set to announce the 2012 Fall Updates on Tuesday (July 24, 2012), and it is taking another step to try and force sellers to offer more generous return policies and quick handling times. Those who meet the top-rated seller requirements but don't offer minimum 14-day returns with money-back option and 1-day handling will be penalized by having the Top Rated Seller badge removed from their eBay pages and from search results. The only designation that they are a top rated seller will appear in text on their feedback profile pages.

There are many sellers who are bound to be devastated upon hearing the news, especially those who have changed their policies and edited listings as eBay raised the bar to become TRS sellers. Many have already lost the Top Rated Seller discounts because they couldn't meet such stricter requirements, but were able to display the TRS badge. Those include sellers of personalized items who need more than 1 day to turnaround the goods, and some sellers in categories such as Clothing Shoes & Accessories who feel many buyers abuse return policies, treating eBay like a "rental" shop.

eBay is not taking away the designation of Top Rated Seller from those sellers. This is likely so they can boost numbers when speaking to Wall Street.

During a recent conference call with analysts, eBay CEO John Donahoe said, "Top-rated sellers generated more than half of U.S. GMV and their same-store sales grew 18% in the quarter."

eBay will also begin charging sellers what is in effect a final value fee, or commission, for ending auctions early for those auction listings that have received a bid.* One reason eBay has to crack down is thanks to the trend of multi-channel selling, even by small online-auction sellers. Some sellers list the same unique item on multiple venues. When it sells on one channel, they must remove the listings from the other channels.

The Fall Seller Update has some good news for sellers around seller protections -buyers will be required to contact sellers before opening a case, and opened cases will no longer count against the seller performance standards.

Check the EcommerceBytes Newsflash newsletter for more information about eBay's Seller Release 2 - Fall Update.

*Updated for clarity.

Perminate Link for eBay to Announce Fall Seller Update, TRS Sellers Impacted   eBay to Announce Fall Seller Update, TRS Sellers Impacted

by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 04:43:06 2012

The insanity and substitution of seller profits for ebay's former earnings as a benevolent venue just never end. Charge me FVF to end an auction with bids? They are chasing me for sure.

by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 06:39:14 2012

More carrots a dangling...

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 06:55:25 2012

I just find it humorous how the new "Seller Protection" program doesn't go into effect until after Xmas! Oh, they can stuff all kinds of things down our throats just before the Xmas selling season, but seller relief? Nah, that can wait until next year!

Of course, this all assumes that one is actually selling something on Zombay! For the sellers they haven't chased off, they just bury you in search results.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Tue Jul 24 07:49:18 2012

Ebay eminds me of a drunk at a party,wobbling around with no clue anymore as to what they're doing.
It's now well beyond a joke,sales falling as fast as customer confidence about time really someone pulled the plug and put it out of its misery.
I find my own site does better than I ever did on ebay and I dont have to keep jumping through hoops like a circus dog.
get rid of the clown in charge and they might be taken seriously again but I doubt it.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Tue Jul 24 07:53:31 2012

(1.) "Those who meet the top-rated seller requirements but don't offer minimum 14-day returns with money-back option and 1-day handling will be penalized by having the Top Rated Seller badge removed from their eBay pages and from search results."

Well What if you sell 15 items, but only 1 or 2 you don't offer a Return Policy or 1 day handling ? Does that mean Donahoe will demote your other 13 items ?

(2.) The policy means sellers who are top rated but can't meet the new stricter requirements will not have their TRS status promoted in search results pages.

You mean promoted like I am now a Top Rated Seller with your new Best Match for Auctions ? Never showing up ? eBay needs to fold entirely, sellers and buyers are fed up that minimum wage 40 hour a wek job is looking like a humungous paycheck versus this BS and stress for $64 last week for me

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Tue Jul 24 08:04:23 2012

'There are many sellers who are bound to be devastated upon hearing the news"

Probably not Ina, I have grown use to the shear disappointment, and wrath of JD against what eBay and us sellers once were.

We can complain all we want, it falls on deaf ears, its JD's way or the highway

I am sick of the hoop jumping, and the game playing to earn $64 after the new Best Match

I won't be one bit surprised when I find out that if I list 20 items, and only 1 or 2 do not have a return policy I will have TRS taken away for my other 18 or 19 listings !

No seller has "FREE AGENCY" to conduct their own business on their own products they offer !

It is JD's will imposed on us compelling us to do as he says or punishment, but everything I have done since 2008 IS punishment, I am no where near what I was before he took over, so he compels me into poverty and oblivion

I mean 12 to 13 months for a 1 or 2 star rating to count against you when it is an outright lie in some cases and you can prove it ?

Just 1 more disappointment to add to the long list

This user has validated their user name. by: Pete

Tue Jul 24 08:39:00 2012

All in all, not as bad as it could have been. I was expecting free listings across the board, and a raise in FVFs. I'm not TRS, and don't intend to follow the requirements to gain TRS, so they can put TRS+ where the sun don't shine.

by: Filadelfos This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 08:40:02 2012

''eBay will also begin charging sellers what is in effect a final value fee, or commission, for ending auctions early. One reason eBay has to crack down is thanks to the trend of multi-channel selling, even by small online-auction sellers. Some sellers list the same unique item on multiple venues. When it sells on one channel, they must remove the listings from the other channels.''

That is absurd!  If I only have 4 of something, of COURSE I'm going to list them on my own website as well as on eBay... If I sell them out on my website & need to pull them from eBay... why do they feel they deserve commission for failing to sell my items?!?!

Bill

by: Filadelfos This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 08:44:47 2012

update:

This article doesn't report all the facts.  The information missing from this article is:

"Beginning October 1, eBay will charge sellers for ending any auction listing early that has received at least one bid. (If the listing has a reserve price, the bid must be at or above the reserve price.) eBay believes ending an auction early once it has received a bid leads to disappointed bidders."

I actually have no problem with that... if your item has bids, then you need to pull it from other venues & not eBay.

Regards,
Bill

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jul 24 08:48:35 2012

Not devastated at all.  It is what I have come to expect from eBay.  More tightening of the screws on small sellers and more gimmicks from eBay.  Everyone knows by now that Best Match simply drives buyers to the big box retailers so who cares anymore.  I have never known eBay's promises and gimmicks to increase sales one iota.

What I have learned from eBay over the years is "EBAY GIVETH, AND EBAY TAKETH AWAY".  They'll dangle the carrot in front of you and then choke you with it.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 08:49:19 2012

Ebay continues to discriminate against small business owners selling in certain categories. Ebay is catering to huge retailers who dropship electronics, etc. from fulfillment centers. If ebay wants a war they have one. I urge all sellers to start listing elsewhere, today, do not delay it is only going to get worse. The fact that ebay is aware that small sellers making custom made items or sellers operating small businesses who may ship every other day or part time sellers who ship every other day cannot conform to these illegal tactics. I suggest all sellers contact a attorney and file a lawsuit. Ebay's actions are clear they are trying to eliminate certain businesses on ebay. Pull your ads sellers everyone should pick a site and stick to that one site.For instance everyone should pick Bonanza or Amazon for example if thousands of sellers move in mass to one site other than ebay it will be noticed. STOP offering Paypal as a form of payment on your websites, use Amazon payments or google. Almost all of the web hosts offer different payment forms. I have been in retail business for 40 years and I have never dealt with a company like ebay that is run by a bunch of friggin donkey's in my life. Ebay is nothing but organized crime. List elsewhere have your items removed from ebay by September 1st. It takes a just a little work. If you have been clubbed by ebay's organized crime tactics contact your local news all of them have a consumer reporter explain to them what ebay is doing. Contact the Justice depart and bug the heck out of your local congreeman or Senator, contact your state Attorney General, Wer must complain in mass. Ebay thinks it is protected by the politicians but this is going to far. It is illegal to make it so difficult to sell on ebay for certain groups, that the only alternative is to quit and leave ebay. Ebay actually is flying it right in the face of a very large group of sellers to make them quit, what a bunch of jerks. This is what wall street does to small business. You have a lower overhead use it go elsewhere buyers will find you. Pay Google or Bing to promote your items why pay ebay anymore for nothing it is time to leave ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Tue Jul 24 08:57:38 2012

HEY EBAY AND DONAHOE, I know this will fall on Deaf Ears, but it is worth a try.

You want us to offer Generous return policy, and I have no issues about that

Here is my issue, I offer fast Free Ship, and min 14 day Return Policy and someone buys, sends back accurate described item, and 1 or 2 stars me.

How about some real incentive Mr. Donahoe and eBay for Return Policies ???

How about this ---------- ANY SELLER OFFERING A 14 DAY to 30 Day Return Policy, and accepts the return and refunds the buyer ALL FEEDBACK AND DSR'S are removed

Isn't that fair ? If I buyer buys item , returns and gets refund, why should I get 1 or 2 star rating from buyers remorse, or competitor having family or friends play games with my account ?

NO SELLER deserves to have any ratings on an item that was returned, have your programmers create program, so if buyer gives you feedback but return and refund given, as soon as Pay Pal refund given, those DSR Ratings fall immediately off

Now isn' that fair Mr. Donahoe ?

I will love to offer Generous Return No Questions asked policy if you could just be human, and stop the injustice of DSR

As it stands now your proposing, I give return, relist, and take a 1 or 2 star rating on an accurately described item, that I refunded

Be a compassionate, fair man Donahoe, and strike down any ratings left by Buyers, good or bad, once an item is a return, and seller DOES refund through Pay Pal

This user has validated their user name. by: Mercy the Mingless

Tue Jul 24 09:00:42 2012

In May 2008, Scot Wingo interviewed eBay CEO John Donahoe for Wingo's blog ''Ebay Strategies''

Wingo - ''What are you doing to accelerate eBay?''

Donahoe - ''We are driving more changes than ever. There are no silver bullets, we're testing in different geos, when we find things that work, we'll do more of them and less of the ones that don't.''

Donahoe is delusional.  There is no other explanation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Jul 24 09:15:33 2012

Well, it really isn't worth fretting over - its done.

The fulfillment sellers won't give a darn but the auction sellers who batch and then have to ship out everything in 1 day will.

The small "commodity" sellers will bitch, but the OOaK sellers will soldier on - with or without a TRS stuck to their listing.

Ebay does because it can. Very little we can do here except bitch, light incense & pray to the auction gods (so we don't get preyed on...).

Just remember the old Who song - "We won't get fooled again!". Nothing has changed since the 1960s.

This user has validated their user name. by: 360

Tue Jul 24 09:18:22 2012

I can see how eBay would want to stop the flood of sellers using the site as a billboard for their listings on other sites, or pulling an auction to sell directly. This will go a long way in getting rid of sellers who are trying to circumvent the rules. Smart!

by: IrvR This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 09:34:05 2012

The fact is, people, we sellers have the power. The power to LEAVE! If enough of us move to Ebid or Bonanza, the business will come with us. As long as sellers just complain and don't take any action, Ebay will continue its march to destroy all small sellers. Vote with your feet and WALK! Add your presence and your listings to Ebid and Bonanza and watch them grow and compete!

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 09:40:45 2012

Here is how I see the announcement;

They are STRIPPING sellers of a FAIR shake in serach results unless they are willing to LOSE more and more with NO PROTECTION even after they agree to the STRONG ARM tactics of 1 day handling, refunds etc.

They then ACT as if they are "protectng sellers" by requiring buyers to contact the seller & giving the seller 3 days to respond.  The problem is this is how it SHOULD HAVE BEEN from the start.

As is ALWAYS the case with ebay. For every 10th of an inch they give to the sellers, they TAKE AWAY 10 miles.

The little morsal of "protection" is NOT enough to keep me on ebay.

ebay has NOT addressed ANY of the REAL problems with buyers.
Not only that, isn't the rule already that they have to contact the sellers and give them time to respond.

So what they are saying is that come Feb, we wills start enforcing our OLD rule but come Oct we are going to STRIP SELLERS DOWN to NOTHING unless they SURRENDER to OUR DEMANDS!

This is nothing more than anotehr STAB IN THE BACK by ebay.

They have done the sellers NO FAVORS!

They are feeding us a cake made of RAT POISON with an OLD & ROTTEN cherry on top.

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 10:03:47 2012

I agree with IrvR.  except I do not recommend Bonanza anymore.  Bonanza is now ebay light, and as soon as they get enough sellers they will be ebay 2.0

ecarter is HIGHLY recommended and we pay NO fees.  Although I wish they gave us better stores, I would be willing to pay a small monthly fee for a better store on ecrater.

I also recommend your own websites.

For those of you who want your own website but do not know how to export your store to one, there are companies who can do it for you for a fair price.

I had my store exported to my website for $199 and I had well over 1400 items.  They still have some minor things to fix for me and once they finish ai will give you their name.

They can export to your website, ecrater, amazon and other places in just a couple of days.

Remember, HONEST buyers will follow the PRODUCTS they want, DISHONEST buyers will only buy on ebay because that is where they can RIP YOU OFF!

If someone tells me they will only buy on ebay, I block them and want NOTHING to do with them.

If they are TRULY worried abotu being protected, they have that with their cc and paypal.

If they are a repeat customer and do not trust you enough to buy at your website or another venue then they are not a customer worth having.

Someof you may THINK that your sales will go down by leaving ebay but just wait and see how your sales are going to continue to DROP as they BURRY you so far in search no one can find you anyway, but you will still pay the SAME as those at the TOP of the pile.

Invest that $300-$5000+ a month you give to ebay now into YOUR OWN SITE and watch it grow and watch your STRESS level go way down.  Think of how much you will save from SCAMMERS each month.

Place banners & ads on popular website with your all of the money you save from NOT payng ebay.

You can do all sorts of DEALS on your website you cannot afford to do on ebay.

Once HONEST buyers realize tht they can SAVE money going to your website they WILL come back.

Just give them what they are promised and they WILL trust you.

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 24 10:17:28 2012

If you start your transition from ebay NOW you will be ready for the holiday season.

I am not saying close your ebay store right now, I am sayig start getting your website up NOW.

How cool would it be for there to be a MASS EXODUS from ebay just before the holiday.

Anotehr thing to consider doing is teaming up with other sellers who do not compete with each other but LINK to each other.

For example. You sell shoes, another sells toys, another sells hand bags and another sells housewares.

The four sellers then link to each other.  You can offer a GROUP coupon which is good at either store or even be used at all 4 stores.

I just recommend that you link with stores you can trust and have a binding contract with each other to keep each other honest.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bijoux Dragon

Tue Jul 24 10:20:59 2012

As a seller, it's just more of the same old-same old coming from the D-hoe.  Move on, nothing to see here.  TRS is a joke anyway - I'm 100% feedback and 5star across the board but considered a worse seller risk than a bozo with regular negatives and 4.8 stars - REALLY???

I get more $ in sales in less time with my Ruby Lane store than I have from eBay for years.  yes, I pay for it but you know, sometimes in life, you get what you pay for.

As a buyer though, I LOVE the new policy about ending auctions early.  I HATE having a bid for an item and having the seller end it early.  Tell the guy asking to buy it immediately to place a bid like everybody else and you might just find that my proxy bid is higher than his offer.

1 2 3 4  [Next Page]