Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed June 20 2012 16:04:23

Shoppers Can't Search eBay Thanks to Norton Antivirus

Norton AntiVirus is giving a warning to people trying to access the eBay website this afternoon. A reader wrote that he could not go to his home page and see if he had bids.

Norton users discussed the Problem on the Norton boards. Wrote one eBay shopper, "Whenever I do a search or view a product on eBay, I get the "Fraudulent Web Page Blocked" screen, claiming that "this web page is a known fraudulent web page. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page". The homepage of eBay is not affected, only searches and items. Does anyone know why a perfectly safe site that I visited just last night is suddenly prompting this reaction from Norton?"

Seven Norton users confirmed they were also experiencing the problem. Another wrote, "I just got off of the phone w/ebay customer service and they are starting to get a steady flow of calls pertaining to this situation." Someone else said, "This started around noon today for me. I can go to the home page, but after that I get the fraudulent site warning whether I am signed in or not. I buy and sell on ebay so this is significant to me. I get the warning when I click on any item, even items in my watch list. I have Internet Security 2012, updated 6 hours ago."

Over on the eBay boards, a user wrote, "Norton keeps throwing this warning up. what's the deal? should I be concerned or just ignore it?" And a couple of other users confirmed they were also getting the warning messages.

We're awaiting word from eBay, let us know if you're experiencing this problem.

Update 6/22/12 5:17pm ET:
eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff sent us the following response:
eBay was aware of the issue and worked with Symantec to resolve it. If  eBay customers continue to see this message, they should run a Norton  update for their software.

Perminate Link for Shoppers Can't Search eBay Thanks to Norton Antivirus   Shoppers Can't Search eBay Thanks to Norton Antivirus

by: blondell54 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 17:17:58 2012

I'm having the same problem when using Google Chrome.. But the problem is not showing up when I use Internet Explorer. So it has to be a problem with Google Chrome...

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Jun 20 17:34:16 2012

I use (and recommend) Avast.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jun 20 17:36:08 2012

After all the scams perpetrated by buyers and enabled by eBay, maybe Norton took it upon themselves to block the site in order to protect sellers....   LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Wed Jun 20 17:59:06 2012

Norton is not broken.

Your computer is trying to protect you.

Want proof? Ever see John D's reflection in a mirror?

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Wed Jun 20 18:21:59 2012

I wish I'd seen the warning "Fraudulent Web Page Blocked" when I was signing up for eBay. Maybe it would have saved me years of headaches, heartaches and more stress than I could have ever imagined.

by: SandyK This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 19:17:05 2012

I've been getting the Norton message on searches all afternoon. Any word yet on what's wrong & where the problem is originating?

by: trickstunt This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 19:56:21 2012

Google says it's infected too. Who do you trust?

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for ebay.com
lx83nl

What
is the current listing status for ebay.com?

This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 6 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 215637 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 45 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-06-20, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-06-19.

Malicious software includes 3 scripting exploit(s), 1 trojan(s), 1 exploit(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 18 domain(s), including 4safe.in/, voceadem.ru/, thesea.org/.

21 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including mat-esales.com/, lgeoo.org/, wpms2063.com/.

This site was hosted on 30 network(s) including AS11643 (EBAY), AS20940 (AKAMAI), AS1299 (TELIANET).

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 20 22:27:55 2012

Contact your state attorney general first thing tomorrow. Tell them you are being forced to allow ebay to invade your privacy in order to use their site. Immediately after that call the police and make a theft report against John Donahoe tell them you paid him for listing fees on ebay and he is not showing your items to buyers. Then contact the justice department and tell them paypal is holding your funds and that it is theft. Then go to Amazon sign up get your listings up and stop using ebay. The new motto for all ebay sellers should be lock Donahoe in a cell and throw away the key afterall that is where scum belongs.

by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 01:31:19 2012

I think I'll go buy Norton AntiVirus and install it.  This way instead of my daily reminder in big bold letters that I am a ''below standard seller'', I will get the message to remind me that I am entering a FRAUDULENT WEB PAGE.

It helps keep things in perspective.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 06:34:31 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if affected users need to change their PC security settings due to some upgrade Norton did to their files. Did anyone call Norton?

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 06:36:26 2012

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Spartacus!! Good one!

by: ItCouldBeAnything This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 23:40:57 2012

This happened to me yesterday and caused a huge amount of stress. I thought my computer or my account had been hacked. Ironically, I did not have this problem when using my phone to do a search. I NEVER found an explanation on eBay boards or announcements. Pathetic.

by: mrsc5inla This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 21 23:53:28 2012

Odd, I have Norton and no problems all day.  Maybe it had something to do with me calling earlier today and complaining about how they did not credit me properly on the June billing.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 22 00:15:42 2012

Well that explains why Ebay has been freezing up on me all day and pictures aren't loading. Looking at one comment on another discussion, it may be due to Ebay putting search strings and other stuff in their seller's photos. Who knows what html codes lurks in Ebay photos now????

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Jun 22 03:30:27 2012

So, what's the problem; Norton's got it spot on this time ...

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 22 07:46:39 2012

EBay's buyer protection shield, which "protects" buyers from evil sellers like ebay thinks all seller are, looks like it was stolen from McAfee or another virus program and repainted.

It could also be protection from ebay's seller summer update that basically wiped out sellers and hit them with a 20% increase in fees.

by: Slipper This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 27 02:40:02 2012

I mentioned it, very annoying. Still I think the various of reaction are funny.