Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun May 20 2012 17:13:09

eBay Glitch Interferes with Bidding Sunday Afternoon

eBay bidders say they are getting error messages when viewing listings, and sellers are unable to respond to questions from would-be buyers. One seller who has 350 auctions ending tonight (Sunday evenings are popular with bidders) said when he tried to respond to "ask question to seller" it says, "you are responding to a invalid item."

In addition, the seller wrote, "I started clicking on some listings and I am getting "this page is unavailable" on some of my listings. Very upsetting since they are ending tonight."

Users are discussing the technical problems on the eBay Boards (here, here and here, for example). One reader who reported the problem called it "a mess."

Wrote one buyer on the eBay boards, "At least half of the pages for items I select for review don't open and bids cannot be placed for them. Instead, there is this message: "Sorry, this page is not available at this time.""

Another buyer started a thread called, "Uh oh, glitches galore this weekend," and said among the problems were the following: "Item listing pages returning an error message telling me that "the page is unavailable at this time" (on multiple sellers).....Items I'm bidding on not showing on  My eBay page and a little red error telling me "some of your information is not available at this time"......  (thank goodness I entered my max bid on those items when I bid last night)."

So far there appear to be no widespread reports on Twitter, the problems may be affecting only certain users - let us know your experience.

Perminate Link for eBay Glitch Interferes with Bidding Sunday Afternoon   eBay Glitch Interferes with Bidding Sunday Afternoon

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 20 19:36:52 2012

A glitch-free day would be news, not this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun May 20 20:49:25 2012

CONFIRMED: On ''My Ebay'' page (Active Selling section) I've been getting the ''some of your information is not available at this time'' for two days in a row.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

That's not to say that it doesn't anger and frustrate me... but I'm never surprised whenever anything goes wrong at eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun May 20 21:10:23 2012

There are no announcements on the ebafia system status board of any ongoing glitches today.

Therefore, no such glitches exist.

Cosnsequently, no fees will be refunded.

Ebay also lies by omission.

by: 10 year seller This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 20 21:21:29 2012

At least one month ago, I told someone that I sell on eBay. She said when she tries to bid on ebay she gets error messages and gives up. This has been going on for a long tome.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun May 20 21:35:40 2012

Why don't they take some of those millions that they stuff in Donahoe's pockets and invest in some technology that actually works.  There is no such thing as technology stability at eBay.

Of course, if they weren't constantly trying to remodel the house this would not happen.

Based on what I am hearing on the eBay discussion boards lately I would bet that our listings are not even viewable 50% (or more) of the time.

by: Ron This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 20 22:18:20 2012

I had a message on "My eBay" page today that stated that "Some Information is Unavailable".  This made me nervous because a few weeks ago on a Sunday there were problems with eBay users accessing their accounts and my auctions basically remained unchanged until they ended that evening.  There was no doubt that I lost money due to buyers being unable to bid.

So I called eBay today when I saw that message, and was told that there was a "bug" over the entire site that only affected the My eBay page, but wouldn't affect anyone trying to bid on an item.

My auctions ended tonight and there were some good results, but one begins to wonder if the results shouldn't have been better.

It seems that the site has become overly complicated.  I think that one of Donahoe's biggest mistakes was trying to set up an Amazon type e-tail marketplace while still maintaining the traditional second hand/antiques/collectibles marketplace, all under the same rules and constraints within the same marketplace.  I don't know when they will wake up and split up the marketplace so that the proper marketing can be used for each of what are quite different markets that require different approaches.

by: slowsalesebay2012 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 20 23:06:55 2012

well ebay still want me to pay my seller's fees in time. although i got 1000 listings, only 2 sales for the past 48 hours. very stange times to sell in ebay !!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon May 21 00:27:29 2012

So I called eBay ... and was told that there was a "bug" over the entire site that only affected the My eBay page, but wouldn't affect anyone trying to bid on an item.

Now I read on your blog that some people in fact were having problems accessing items for sale."

Ming's ebay Law #1:

EBAY LIES. ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL.

About anything, everything, some of the time, all of the time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon May 21 08:00:42 2012

I'd say that the statement "There is a bug over the entire eBay site" is an accurate statement.  Didn't he come in after Whitman left?

by: MADandCracked This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 10:42:52 2012

I tried to bid on something this past weekend. I can't remember if it was Saturday or Sunday, but the auction was supposed to end in 4 minutes. Well, when I went back to the auction (exactly 2 minutes later) to place my bid, the auction had ended! So some seller lost out big time! A $50 item sold for only $12!

by: ruthie This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 10:46:50 2012

''Ming's ebay Law #1:

EBAY LIES. ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL.''

So true ....ebay lies when the truth fits better. It's just second nature to them.

by: 10 year seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 11:01:22 2012

With free auctions, (I know That not everyone uses free auctions) eBay has a license to get away with glitch after glitch.
No loss no compensation.
If they charged the Chinese for auctions the site would have more server space.
Putting stores in core made the site harder to sift through although it might have benefited   some?

by: 10 year seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 11:11:45 2012

In around 2008 or 2009 there was an eBay ''glitch'' in search that showed that  my auctions had ended when they hadn't! This went on intermittently for a month or so.
That was the beginning of the downward spiral.

by: Robbo This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 11:46:05 2012

I normally have my biggest day of the week on eBay every Sunday. Yesterday 9Sunday)nothing from 12 AM SUnday until 11PM CST, then just one.  Weekend was 10 sales normally around 30... Omniture show highest raffic ever in hte last 3 months for yesterday, sales down 45 % overe a eyar ago. I am currenlty running major sales and still nothing.. something is fubar..I had trouble revising items at 6 PM CST, Sunday, every revsion would not take as the description was erased in the revising process.  THanks Ebay...Are you forgiving me the  my fees to make up for lost sales?

by: sellerfish This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 11:59:27 2012

We are just so glad that, thanks to reporting like this, we were inspired to start our own site.

Ebay sales are down from last year, sit sale are soaring!

by: sellerfish This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 12:00:53 2012

Last night was the worse Sunday nite for month of May in 6 years sales

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Mon May 21 12:58:50 2012

I actually had good sales this weekend with fixed price. I did have several "freebie" auctions ending Sunday night. A few sold, but several had several watchers but no bids. I'll never know if I was "glitched".

I wonder if there is a pattern to the glitches & location we are in? I am USA - EST. Just curious about the time zones folks experiencing the glitch were located in - may be a pattern?

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 12:59:55 2012

I experienced all these errors mentioned intermittently all weekend, especially Sunday.  Adding insult to injury, now my 20Mbps cable modem is at .7, about half of DSL speed. I can barely function.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 17:20:45 2012

I just thought everyone went somewhere else to shop but Ebay. No bids, no questions, no activity most of the weekend.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon May 21 19:39:55 2012

Don't ever under estimate all those buying small sellers that eBay has run off.  Want to know where the buyers are?  There's your answer.