Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed May 2 2012 17:31:55

Quick Poll: Amazon's Stance on Accepting PayPal

Have you ever been dissuaded from purchasing on Amazon because they do not accept PayPal?

EcommerceBytes is conducting a survey to find out if readers would be inclined to spend more on Amazon.com if it accepted PayPal as a payment method.

Please take two minutes to let us know what you think, and look for the results to be published in a future issue of EcommerceBytes. And feel free to comment below.

Perminate Link for Quick Poll: Amazon's Stance on Accepting PayPal   Quick Poll: Amazon's Stance on Accepting PayPal

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed May 2 18:48:55 2012

Ugh! I hope this is just a hypothetical... and just idle curiosity for discussion purposes only.

What compelling reason would I have to use PP at Amazon? My PP account is swept-clean every night, so every morning I start off with a zero-balance.

I'd much prefer to earn airline miles and hotel points by making my purchases with reward-based credit cards.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed May 2 19:11:10 2012

No way would I give eBay the ability to sniff around my Amazon purchases same as I would not have Amazon snooping on my eBay purchases.

This user has validated their user name. by: Roger Rabbit

Wed May 2 19:54:45 2012

Amazon NOT accepting PayPal is one of the reasons I shop with them.

by: Olde Mike This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 19:54:47 2012

Amazon checkout works great!!  Why would anyone want to use preypal and thus contribute to ebay's profits.

Also, if you have a Discover card, you can use the reward points on Amazon and get your stuff for free...if you have enough points.

by: bb6 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 20:17:54 2012

As a seller, it can only help. As a buyer, I only care about what is going to give me the best bang for my buck. That includes discounts, rewards points, 1% back. For those of you that only use one over the other because you don t want money going to a company is just stupid. They are all companies making billions off of you so who really cares.

by: Susan Averello This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 20:45:43 2012

Why - I much prefer using Amazon checkout anywhere. It is much quicker and I trust them more,

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 22:06:13 2012

I've never even thought of using Paypal on Amazon....and I buy a LOT on Amazon...

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed May 2 22:16:05 2012

I don't and won't use PreyPal ANYWHERE if there's an alternative.

And I guarantee I'll start shopping in my local Barnes & Noble if Amazon does start accepting PreyPal.

Why would Amazon want to damage its brand by associating itself with such a disreputable "payment transmitter?"

Say it ain't so, Amazon!

by: 10 year seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 2 23:30:49 2012

I shop at Amazon because they don't use PayPal. I use my amex card on Amazon anyway.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Thu May 3 01:00:23 2012

Right now. I'm only buying from sites with PayPal because is the only payment method I can use and works for in both ways (seller and buyer).

I will not have problem to use PayPal in Amazon, but also will be nice to see Amazon Payments in eBay.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 3 03:36:51 2012

Simple answer. NO!

This user has validated their user name. by: Stockmiser

Thu May 3 06:26:24 2012

I've been using my paypal debit card on Amazon for many years - it's the card I have on file - so it's irrelevant to me if they took paypal "directly" or not.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 3 09:27:24 2012

Amazons using Paypal is like letting the fox into the chicken coop!

Im not sure why Ina even asked this!?

Amazon has NO interest in helping eBay in any way shape or form. The even gave eBay thier unwanted employee - Noah Hershman! (although that may be a tactical ploy - Noah will screw up eBay like he did Amazon and thus cause its implosion!)

by: rstpete This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 3 09:28:37 2012

No problem for me.  I use Pay Pal as little as possible. I keep my account under $100 even if I have to transfer funds multiple times a day, I do not trust them when they might lock the account and hold my funds for any reason.  I do have a Pay Pal debit card and use it to buy supplies and postage so I get a 1 1/2% cost reduction on those business needs. I do Amazon with my Amazon card and pay it off monthly.  It gives me a good way to track my business there separately from other venues.

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Thu May 3 12:21:44 2012

I only use Paypal on eBay because I'm forced to do so. I don't appreciate being forced into a payment option, so no, there's no way I'd every use Paypal anywhere other than on eBay.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 3 13:43:13 2012

I had exactly ONE customer who insisted on using paypal and wouldn't buy without it.  I declined and he didn't buy, and he was here in person!

Oh well. The more you stay away from Paypal holding your money the better if you ask me!

by: 16mmfilmseller This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 3 15:14:15 2012

Not a chance... And why would amazon do that? They'd have to give a commission to their "competitor"...

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Thu May 3 22:30:05 2012

No, for several reasons.
1) Paying with Paypal is a hassle. I don't like having to do another login in order to pay, when most sites I shop regularly allow me to save credit card info.
2) I purchase a lot for business and use my credit cards to help manage and track those purchases for tax purposes.
3) I get reward points and cash back on my credit card purchases, so there's no point to using another service.
4) Because of #2, even if I used a credit card through Paypal, if I happened to have a balance, it would skew the purchase amount charged on the card, requiring more work to reconcile with invoices and receipts.
5) I trust the policies on my credit cards more than Paypal if there's any fraud or other problems.

Amazon has an excellent checkout system, so I don't think they really need Paypal. I'm finding increased usage of Amazon Payments on other sites, too, so as a competitor, I don't think they're in any great hurry to offer access to Paypal.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 3 22:32:40 2012

why would i want to use paypal, when i can use my amazon visa and get 3 points per dollar spent?

by: Anteeker This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 3 22:56:35 2012

Absolutely not.  It doesn't bother me in the least that I can't use PayPal.  I hope they keep it that way.