Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Mon Apr 16 2012 17:40:10

eBay Search Outage - Breaking News

eBay is experiencing a complete outage of its search engine making it impossible for shoppers to search the site.

The eBay search function is timing out, with multiple reports surfacing at about 4:30 pm EST on Monday, April 16, 2012. There's no posting about the outage on the eBay system announcement board, but readers report that when they call eBay, a recording acknowledges the outage.

Please indicate if you're experiencing the issue on the EcommerceEKG announcement board.

Update: According to eBays outage policy:

Title search outage of one or more hours

In the event of a title search outage of one or more hours, eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings. The following listings will be eligible for credit:

• Any listing scheduled to end during the outage

• Any listing scheduled to end in the hour after the end of the outage

Unlike our policy for hard outages of two hours or more, listings will not be extended.

Update 5:55 pm EST: - search appears to be working again.

Perminate Link for eBay Search Outage - Breaking News   eBay Search Outage - Breaking News

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 16 17:42:38 2012

Yep, just did a search with no luck

This user has validated their user name. by: jdneedstobefired

Mon Apr 16 17:59:15 2012

ebay is fast becoming the biggest joke. this is unexceptable. auction sellers that had listings end during this outtage are taking a big hit on final sale price.
 how does a multi billion dollar company continue to have these problems.

by: 10 year seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 16 19:19:19 2012

Are they talking about the outage that started in 2008? I'm glad they finally admitted  it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Apr 16 20:31:18 2012

Hmmm... my sales are so slow on eBay that I hadn't even noticed.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 16 22:44:27 2012

I did experience it today when doing some research. Thanks for writing about it.

by: flyingdutchman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 16 22:47:07 2012

They keep changing things and to what end?  Nothing has gotten better over all.  There are less bids, less sell through rates, less OOAK items then in years past, the quality of sellers really hasn't improved overall despite forced efforts of conformity, the buyers are some of the shadiest out there knowing full well how to work Ebay against a seller and now Ebay limits sellers ability to sell forgetting the fact that they are BUYERS too(it's not sellers here, buyers there, we are the same!), and thus limiting our sales limits our ability to buy which in turn cuts revenues for Ebay.

Ebay needs to stop messing with its programming!  Every time they do, it gets worse not better for the majority.

I want someone to please answer what is better on Ebay vs. anywhere else?  Since search is continually broken, we can negate traffic from this argument.  What has improved over the past 16 years?

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 00:21:21 2012

I'm not sure if it is due to an "outage" or not but March 12 our eBay traffic fell through the floor. For the first time in six months or so we did not have a single sale over the weekend. We usually at least sell a few helmets.

The Yahoo store performed as good as ever.

Something's up.

Don

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Apr 17 01:30:21 2012

Heard from one of my buyers this afternoon and he told me that when he tried to pay on PayPal he kept on getting a message that the system was down was down. Do not know if that was because of eBay or because of PayPal.

Bill

by: Henry This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 02:03:15 2012

Interesting as I was told by eBay CS that the outage would last more than 2 hours. Makes on feel like they are on the Titanic (kidding).

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 03:00:17 2012

This is not the only problem. Ever since they started advertising and changing things around the last 2 months my eBay pages and 'my ebay' page loads soooooooo slow that I can barely stand it. Nothing else on line takes that long when I am online, including any other shops I have; just eBay. Soooooooo slow!!!!!!!!!!!

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 03:55:44 2012

that explains the dead sales day.

the thing is, it's only gonna get worse.  a few days ago seller outreach called to make sure i knew of all the changes.  there was one change that i hadn't heard of.  they are going to start making title AND description the default search.  i am fairly sure they played around with this 5 years ago with disasterous results for me....  my sales died.

This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Tue Apr 17 06:29:26 2012

It is always worrisome when "search" gets tweaked. Updated, hacked, or outage - all seems to be the same anymore!

Thanks for staying on top of it for us, Ina!

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 07:28:22 2012

What we suspect is that eBay is now ''steering'' traffic to its Preferred Internal Star Sellers (acronym PISS). Be it their long time favored Diamond Sellers, any Chinese seller or now their new large store/retailer ''clients'' (yes, those people are clients, the rest of us are dishonest, untrustworthy nuisance sellers that must be kept in line), we suspect much of eBay's traffic is now being directed to their PISS sellers (named so because they pi**#ss the rest of us off so much). If you look at eBay traffic on Alexa (an Amazon company BTW), their traffic numbers are pretty much consistent. So where have all of our sales gone? Are they being PISSed away?

Food for thought!

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 07:43:36 2012

Don C -  I'd comment on my traffic but once AGAIN!! my traffic reports are not working.  Every month at this time... oh and all thru the month too. Omniture is a joke.  I wish eBay would allow incorporation of Google Analytics..or Google would, who ever is holding up the works.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Tue Apr 17 08:14:06 2012

Ebays search is a sick joke.They direct you to what they want you to see,not what you want you to see.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 10:01:07 2012

''ebay is fast becoming the biggest joke''

Seriously? They've been a complete joke for over 2 years, which is why and when I left!! What's taking others so long to get out of there?? I don't get it...

by: Good Grief This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 13:12:38 2012

Well, that explains my search disaster - searching for Pet Supplies and ended up with hundreds of pages of (people) Clothing Patterns.

Went elsewhere!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 13:48:24 2012

I noticed this when I was directed AWAY from the items I was looking for---motorcycle stuff---and on to things completely different.

Also I could NOT get out of the Dark Hell that is ebay Motors.  Trapped!

Could EXPLAIN why nothing I had listed---inc Motorcycle stuff----SOLD.  Nada   ZERO Zip

by: OneDandelionWish This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 22:37:36 2012

I contacted eBay today because of traffic.  I've been charting my $sales/unit sales/versus views. Since Feb 1st my sales crashed by 1/2 and the views fell 3000 a day.  I'm convinced this is a hybrid problem of Cassini and redirecting traffic

by: MADandCracked This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 18 10:57:53 2012

"Spokesperson Johnna Hoff said eBay would credit sellers according to its outage policy, but declined to provide information about the nature of the outage.

"We are following our stated policy in regard to credits and we apologize for the inconvenience to customers," she said."

That one part of the whole article is what got me.
So eBay is formally saying "We're sorry" to the customers, but where's the apology to the sellers? All I'm seeing is that eBay is giving them SOME of their money back. That's not an apology.

Just another "we hate our sellers" action from eBay.