Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Sun Apr 15 2012 23:06:04

Google Checkout Cancelling Orders Citing High Risk

Online merchants are reporting that Google Checkout is cancelling a high number of orders due to high risk assessments since the beginning of March. Sellers say they are receiving the following message:

"For your protection, Google cancelled this order. The transaction was considered fraudulent."

In response to a merchant who said he lost 30% of his orders because Google Checkout considered them fraudulent (which was up from an average of 2%), another merchant replied, "I have had the same problem - but it is more like 90% of my orders have been classed as High Risk since the beginning of March. Something has changed. It seems like all foreign orders (which is the bulk of our business) are now considered "fraudulent", and yet we have not had a problem in the past. If you have any idea of who we can report this too, I would be very obliged, as this is really halting our business, and we have to process our orders in a much more time consuming way."

In this discussion thread, two sellers reported 40 - 50% of their orders had been cancelled in March. On March 14, one seller wrote, "Since they have implemented their new "security services" I have been experiencing a whopping 40% of my transactions being cancelled as "high risk" and "fraudulent". I know for a fact that they are not. If they don't fix their methodology of determining risk I will be forced to take my business elsewhere. What good is a checkout system that just cancels everything??? As much as I dislike PayPal, at least the transactions go through..."

In early April, a seller wrote, "I have had over 1100 Google Checkout transactions since October. Up until about a month ago there were maybe 2 transactions that were "high risk" and cancelled. Within the past month it seems like 20% of the transactions are high risk. I have had people e-mail me after the fact saying that they are trying to purchase and it keeps throwing the purchase out. These purchases are coming from tons of different locations all over the US. Did something change in the risk assessment system to cause this to happen. I am losing a lot of (what I feel like are legitimate sales due to this. Please help!"

Last week, a merchant who had been using Google Checkout as their exclusive payment method for international orders and as an option for domestic payments since 2006 and rarely had an order cancelled by Google, said that within the last week, "we have had three orders, 1 US, 1 Puerto Rico (US), and 1 Canadian Cancelled by Google due to being High Risk. Even though all three are return customers for us. How do we get this resolved?"

Sellers writing on the boards expressed frustration that Google has been unresponsive to inquiries about the cancelled orders.

We became aware of this issue this evening and have sent an inquiry to Google for comment.

Perminate Link for Google Checkout Cancelling Orders Citing High Risk   Google Checkout Cancelling Orders Citing High Risk

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Mon Apr 16 00:35:34 2012

Interesting. PayPal had some similar issues some days ago. Now is Google Checkout. I will not be surprise that both companies were under hack attacks and just don't want to tell the problem to avoid panic.

This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Mon Apr 16 13:33:42 2012

Google Checkout is a joke. Seriously, the only reason I deal with GC is because I have apps on the Android Market. Otherwise, GC is worse than Preypal.

Google is well known for having zero customer service. I would never think of using their payment service for that reason alone but like with eBay/Paypal, I'm forced to.

by: Digmen1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 16 15:42:02 2012

Yes Google Checkout is a joke it is only in three countries.

Google are poor marketers.
Google+ will be another failure.

They should stick to search and maps.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 16 16:39:59 2012

I love Google Checkout. I've had very few problems. I did have an order canceled a couple of months ago, but that turned out to be someone who apparently got married and failed to update her name, because I then got her order through PayPal with her new married last name. So I cannot fault Google Checkout for canceling the order.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Apr 16 23:35:30 2012

I love Google Checkout, too. Unlike PayPal, which is always on the side of the buyer, I feel that I'm being protected from fraud by GC. I had one transaction cancelled a few months ago. Based upon the e-mails I received from the buyer, I think she probably was trying to scam me.

This user has validated their user name. by: TheCheapSkirt

Tue Apr 17 01:53:33 2012

I loved Google Checkout, too. Until they threatened to suspend me for having an "incorrect business URL". Unlike PayPal, there is no human being you can call and talk to.

Since my business URL was correct since the beginning, and was what I was told by a Google employee to have in there in an email years ago, I replied with a copy of that email in response to the suspension threat. And I did not change a thing. I just waited.

I got just a canned response telling me how to change my business URL. Since I knew it was correct, I did NOTHING. I didn't even log into my profile. I just kept waiting.

A few days later, about the time I was to be suspended, I got an automated email from Goigle "thanking me" for "changing my business URL".  Even though I did absolutely nothing to it!

I could have had my account suspended and all my pending payouts returned to my customers (even though I'd shipped out their items already) for no reason at all--an error on THEIR part--and there wouldn't have been a thing I could do our a person to talk to.

This user has validated their user name. by: Leafgreen

Tue Apr 17 03:22:39 2012

Google is ALWAYS unresponsive to inquiries. Their system of contact is to go on a public board. I hate Google. PayPal on the other hand, answers the phone with zero wait and always helps me. I've been with them since 2000, so that might make a difference.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 07:41:16 2012

Google - in general is unresponsive to ANY problem. They just don't want to  hear it. You think eBay was bad back when (in the past?) Google took that lession and magnified it. I use googlecheckout on one venue because they required it.  I don't know why they aren't more customer friendly but they aren't.  So I won't be using them anywhere else.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 10:38:50 2012

Interesting. I was just wondering why I haven't had a GCO payment since the 11th. My sales have been much slower than usual and am wondering how many orders I have lost due to this that we are never even being told about. Usually GCO payments are 1/3 - 1/2 of my payments, so nothing for close to a week is highly unusual.

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 10:52:25 2012

I like Google Checkout as well. *knock on wood* never had any issues. Hope it stays that way.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 17 12:48:20 2012

GOOGLE doesn't seem to actually HAVE phones.  Ever looked for a number for them?  Or even an email contact point?

Crickets

Thought so

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 17 18:58:21 2012

Here's a variation to add to the mix. Three weeks ago or so, I sold an item to a customer who I'd done business with several times in the past. Nothing in her PayPal profile had changed.

PayPal flagged the payment for 18 hours.

In the meantime, the customer bought something from my website and paid with Google Wallet. Google held up the payment as a security risk for several hours as well.

Same customer, same problem on two unrelated payments sites.

Possibly these problems arose from an upstream processor?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 17 18:59:54 2012

I should have added that the customer PayPal who told her tht her payment to me shouldn't have been flagged as there were no security issues with her account. But they didnt release the payment to me for several more hours.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 17 19:24:30 2012

Ebay's constant refusal to admit outages and other critical "glitches" that affect sales for the purpose of fee refund avoidance is another example of the basic dishonesty of the people who work there and their fundamentally unethical, sociopathic, and corrupt corporate culture.

We should expect nothing different from corporate criminals.