Ina Steiner EcommerceBytes Blog
News and insight focusing on ecommerce.
by Ina Steiner, Editor of EcommerceBytes.com
Wed Apr 4 2012 20:32:30

Glitch Alert: Buyers Unable to Pay on eBay using PayPal

eBay buyers are having problems paying for items through PayPal, and sellers are reporting problems with payment status on their transactions.

eBay posted a rare notice on its Systems Announcement Board, stating, "We are aware that members are currently unable to checkout using PayPal. In addition, there are also some errors and slowness when members are going through checkout with other payment methods. We are working on a resolution this issue as quickly as possible."

PayPal has not posted a message on its systems announcement board, but its Ask PayPal Twitter account began responding to customers with problems about 3 hours ago.

Buyers reporting problems wrote, "I can sign into paypal but when i tried to pay for an ebay item just now I got a message that paypal is not available," and "I have no trouble getting into my paypal account off e-bay. But can't pay for my item using the invoice sent to me through the auction."

A seller wrote, "Have two buyers saying they sent payment, but was having trouble. Not showing up in paypal. Yet...there are three other payments that came through in paypal but not registering with Ebay yet, been over an hour."

Another seller expressed his frustration, writing, "just had 65 auctions close and nobody is able to pay me. NICE PAYPAL!"

PayPal made a major announcement earlier today, revealing the consolidation and rebranding of its products, it's unclear if the eBay issues with PayPal are related. Users report being able to log in to PayPal with no difficulty.

Perminate Link for Glitch Alert: Buyers Unable to Pay on eBay using PayPal   Glitch Alert: Buyers Unable to Pay on eBay using PayPal

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Apr 4 21:32:43 2012

A new high in lows for eBay... buyers can not complete payments using eBay's own proprietary payment system!!!

For the first time in years, eBay is actually admitting their IT glitch in print to the public on the announcement board!

I guess trying to conceal a glitch this significant is too big a task for ebay as is keeping their systems up and running

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Apr 4 21:52:09 2012

eBay announced the "service interruption" was resolved at 6:03 pm PST. It had first posted an announcement about the problem at 2:16 pm.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 4 23:43:44 2012

hallelujia !

by: ma_seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 4 23:47:40 2012

As of about 11:30pm EST, there was still a problem.

I received an email from PayPal earlier this evening saying a payment I made to another seller last night did not go through.

I tried resubmitting the payment using both a link in the PP email and from the purchases page in My eBay, and both methods ended up taking me to an error page.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Apr 5 01:46:43 2012

When you have IT spread haphazardly across the globe according  to wherever labor is cheapest, the concept of walking and chewing gum simultaneously is problematic.

Unstable, undependable, and  untrustworthy -- just the kind of business partner other corporations want to do business with.

by: BetterThingsToDo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 5 09:00:54 2012

So we log into the paypal accounts this morning. Have over 100 payments made in last 12 hours.

ALL HAVE RED ALERT FLAGS. WHATS UP WITH THAT CRAP.

Figure its another Fleecebay-Paypal hundle under the covers. Shipped anyways.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nan

Thu Apr 5 09:20:27 2012

So what happens with the 'immediate payment required' listings if the buyer can't pay right away?

This user has validated their user name. by: Doc

Thu Apr 5 10:31:40 2012

Looks like eBay pulled that announcement lightning quick.

All that is left is a cached index with no preview of content cache.

I'm still in shock eBay actually admitted in writing they had a glitch.

by: tmooreseller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 5 14:32:05 2012

Maybe that explains the fact that I have not had a single sale through PayPal since I reconfigured my shipping/tax extras. I have no problem receiving money/sending money, but nothing from my buttons. I am thinking of dropping PayPal altogether and going with my other payment service.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Apr 5 15:18:48 2012

Welcome to eBa'al - the mostest loved notaBank!

A couple people swipe their cards through the blue pyramid and all chaos breaks out.

SNAD!

It'll be better when everyone is using it on their smart phone.

More secure too.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 9 23:45:27 2012

It is now late evening on the 9th and I still have red flags from the last few days and the payments I received today are also flagged. Sure gives one a great feeling of confidence in the ability of a company that we small ebay sellers are forced to do business with...NOT!